Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
Got to dork down pretty hard on Friday.

Managed to see my twenty-seventh

and twenty-eighth Blackbirds!

Apparently Edwards is a few months away from breaking ground on a new museum outside of the fence that should be completed within two years. They are hoping to restore or replicate the LASRE aerospike engine and mount it onto the NASA Blackbird for display, which would be pretty cool, and they want to take Blackbird Airpark's A-12 down to bare titanium as it would have been originally seen at Area 51. Our tour included a visit to the P-59 test hangars (america's first jet engines), and a full flight line tour.

Definitely a worthwhile adventure if you ever have the opportunity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Cool about your quest progress. How many total are there?

Also an update on my quest to see every surviving XB-70: 100% complete!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Do A-12s not count?

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER

vessbot posted:

Cool about your quest progress. How many total are there?

31 if you count the disconnected cockpit at the Seattle museum.

I have seen 28, but I only have my own photos of 27, as I saw the SR-71B that is now at Kalamazoo in-flight when I was like 12. I am debating whether or not I need to go see it again and make the bucket list thing about photos of the planes, not just seeing them.

Remaining planes are in Tuscon, San Antonio, and Duxford, UK. That one's gonna be a bitch.

Ardeem posted:

Do A-12s not count?

They do count. I finished off the A-12s over the summer in Birmingham, Alabama. I have no idea why the south got so many Blackbirds.

The REAL question is whether or not to include the D-21s.

And then U-2s.

Oh gently caress.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

D-21s maybe but the U-2 is its own quest.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s kinda cool watching a descent into madness in real time.

:allears:

I’m trying to plan a last-minute Sun and Fun trip. But I’m awful at planning.

:(

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Kebbins posted:

I am debating whether or not I need to go see it again and make the bucket list thing about photos of the planes, not just seeing them.

It counts. I absolve you. The real record is in here *points to your heart*

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Just kidding, pics or it didn't happen

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Acid Reflux posted:

Someone here was looking forward to seeing a Saab 340 in WestJet colors after the deal with Pacific Coastal went through. I don't know if the others are out in the wild and flying yet, but this is the third one we're delivering to PC that's intended to run the WJ routes, and the first one that we've painted for them:

It certainly wasn't me that was looking forward to this (because I had no idea), but I really appreciate you posting it. I fly WJ more often AC, often on their shorter routes and I'm glad WJ is getting some more turboprops. I'm pretty sure I was on a Saab 340 to Churchill, MB, about 10 years ago on a Calm Air flight - wikipedia lists them as former operators. I remember overhead bins that could just barely fit a laptop computer in a case, and a 1-2 seat layout (I had a 1, it was good).

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Finger Prince posted:

Way better than 3-4-3 in a 777, and if you're clever, choose the last 2 or 3 rows in Y because it's 2-3-2 with loads of room to the aisle so you can stretch your legs out without getting run over by galley carts. 2-3-2 in 767 is ok, but it's still a 767. 2-4-2 in a 330 is ok if you can get the window seats. But the 787 is still the best just because of the cabin environment.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

ExecuDork posted:

It certainly wasn't me that was looking forward to this (because I had no idea), but I really appreciate you posting it. I fly WJ more often AC, often on their shorter routes and I'm glad WJ is getting some more turboprops. I'm pretty sure I was on a Saab 340 to Churchill, MB, about 10 years ago on a Calm Air flight - wikipedia lists them as former operators. I remember overhead bins that could just barely fit a laptop computer in a case, and a 1-2 seat layout (I had a 1, it was good).
Pretty sad when a Dash8/Q400 is seen as a step up. But yeah, we are looking forward to this down in YQL. Air Canada has been worse than abysmal with the Beechcraft they've been flying for years. I've never seen flights canceled with regularity like they do. Just glad someone is giving some sort of choice.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Boeing released some decent footage of their MQ-25 entrant. While major advancements in stealth and UAV technology have occured in the last 30 years, significant strides in background music tracks remain elusive.

http://www.boeing.com/defense/mq25/#/videos

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I feel like this is some bad combination of taildraggers' poor forward visibility, overcompensation for a crosswind, and target fixation.

I can't identify the plane in the video -- is it Russian? Because the video is russia.mp4, and Russian planes' propellers spin backwards, which gives them a right-turning tendency instead of left-turning like all other planes, so that would exacerbate the problem even more.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

I feel like this is some bad combination of taildraggers' poor forward visibility, overcompensation for a crosswind, and target fixation.

I can't identify the plane in the video -- is it Russian? Because the video is russia.mp4, and Russian planes' propellers spin backwards, which gives them a right-turning tendency instead of left-turning like all other planes, so that would exacerbate the problem even more.

That's not a taildragger except in the most literal sense.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hah, drat, yeah. I didn't even register that -- I saw the angle of the plane and "welp must be a tailwheel"

God knows. Definitely looks like target fixation, though -- where you get locked staring at the thing you're trying to avoid and your brain drives you straight into it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

LOL, look I get a limited number of J passes in a year and I'm not wasting them on Toronto-Calgary!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

LOL, look I get a limited number of J passes in a year and I'm not wasting them on Toronto-Calgary!

CRJs don't have a J class.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Definitely looks like target fixation, though -- where you get locked staring at the thing you're trying to avoid and your brain drives you straight into it.

As opposed to doing a loop or breaking left? I think target fixation is the least of his problems. He seems to be mushing, he's trying to climb but haven't got enough speed. I bet he landed due to some stupid problem, fixed it, tried to take off again, failed.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Maybe they thought they still had enough speed after the landing to clear it and avoid a collision. Even just a little height at the right time could make the difference.

If the landing was forced due to an engine failure, they probably didn't have a whole lot of options once the wheels touched the ground.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Looks like an SP-30. A Russian version of the CH-701. Uses a Rotax 912 so I doubt the prop is spinning the other way.

From Googling it, it was a cropduster who was attempting to take off from the road, not an emergency landing.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Finger Prince posted:

Delta One on the A350 is pretty nice, the door does help!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Slo-Tek posted:

Boeing released some decent footage of their MQ-25 entrant. While major advancements in stealth and UAV technology have occured in the last 30 years, significant strides in background music tracks remain elusive.

I was watching this and thinking "man, that doesn't seem like there's going to be a lot of spare room for fuel in that sleek stealthy body to actually let it refuel thi- oh big drop tanks, of course".

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Kebbins posted:

I have seen 28, but I only have my own photos of 27, as I saw the SR-71B that is now at Kalamazoo in-flight when I was like 12. I am debating whether or not I need to go see it again and make the bucket list thing about photos of the planes, not just seeing them.

Remaining planes are in Tuscon, San Antonio, and Duxford, UK. That one's gonna be a bitch.

1. Have you seen the cockpit simulator and control unit at the Frontiers of Flight Museum in Dallas?

2. I really, REALLY want to visit Duxford. Maybe next year.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

You know what could fix this? Cargo airships in Canada. What? The subject came up naturally

I didn't realize former poster Powercube had his own column over on this blog. I imagine it will groove with the thread, on the first page he's slamming Air Canada's new livery

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

CRJs don't have a J class.

I've only ever flown on Westjet out to Toronto, hence only ever on a 737. Does Air Canada use the CRJ for that?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Phy posted:

I've only ever flown on Westjet out to Toronto, hence only ever on a 737. Does Air Canada use the CRJ for that?

No, that was a joke. But they do fly IAH-YYC on CRJs

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Call me when it’s a turboprop like they fly from MLB-YTZ (Melbourne, Florida to Toronto City).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

hobbesmaster posted:

I did this once when UA's A320 had a fuckup. It did have executive class, but it was still pretty awful.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I flew business on a crj from FCA (glacier Kalispell) to ORD and to be fair, it wasn't terrible. Tons of room in row 1 and had a cute FA that kept giving me booze even when I wasn't asking for it :)

That said, I think it was near 3 hours and that would have been painful in a worse seat.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I guess I always fly delta where that’s called first (coded F).

CRJ-200s are still miserable. And CRJ-700s have too much range to have a single toilet

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Yeah I’d fly on a crj any day in delta first class

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I think China wins in regards to kit modifications - the Su-57 might be an Extra Super Flanker, but the Chinese seem to have just gone HAM on the Su-34: https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a19724568/china-stealth-bomber-render/

Only thing I can think of when I look at it is "Coming soon, to Star Citizen!"

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think China wins in regards to kit modifications - the Su-57 might be an Extra Super Flanker, but the Chinese seem to have just gone HAM on the Su-34: https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a19724568/china-stealth-bomber-render/

C&C Generals 2 lookin' good

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It looks like a high-tier bomber in Supreme Commander

The design is *way* too clean for a Star Citizen design

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

I guess I always fly delta where that’s called first (coded F).

CRJ-200s are still miserable. And CRJ-700s have too much range to have a single toilet

Aft lav is just the worst.

That’s my favorite thing about flying the 900, pop out of the cockpit and bam lav is right there.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

slidebite posted:

e: Shared it since this is a public forum already but if you don't want me to let me know and I'll pull it off and ask for it not to spread. Thanks again.
No sweat at all, I wouldn't have posted it here if there were any concerns. :) We'll eventually get it outside for some beauty shots, and I'll be sure to post or link those as well.

ExecuDork posted:

You're welcome! They're definitely not big ships, and the single row is absolutely the place to be if you have the choice unless you're really good friends/sleeping with the person sitting next to you.

If you ever happen to fly in this particular tail number and make it to your destination without getting lost, hopefully it'll be because the GPS I'm about to start installing tomorrow is still working correctly. :v:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Kebbins posted:

They do count. I finished off the A-12s over the summer in Birmingham, Alabama. I have no idea why the south got so many Blackbirds.

The REAL question is whether or not to include the D-21s.

And then U-2s.

Oh gently caress.

Sorry, I thought one of those was Blackbird park and got confused.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Aft lav is just the worst.

That’s my favorite thing about flying the 900, pop out of the cockpit and bam lav is right there.

What? The front lav on the 900 is an even worse torture box than the 200 lav. The aft is amazing. You can actually stand up and stretch out in it. Sometimes when I ride in the back of a 900 and use go in the aft lav, after I finish doing my business I'll just stand in it for a few minutes to stretch out from sitting in the pax seat, and enjoy a few minutes of serenity away from the crowd.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Slo-Tek posted:

Love how they sneak their Block III Super Hornet in there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Acid Reflux posted:

Someone here was looking forward to seeing a Saab 340 in WestJet colors after the deal with Pacific Coastal went through. I don't know if the others are out in the wild and flying yet, but this is the third one we're delivering to PC that's intended to run the WJ routes, and the first one that we've painted for them:

I think that was me.

Looks good. Thanks for posting!