Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
I see your tiny bass and present the first bass I ever caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Selious posted:

I haven't been out much due to new home adventures, but that reminded me of a little guy (looks kind of like a bass?) I pulled in a few weeks ago. Separately I also got a nice trout but it slipped away before I could take a pic.

It's a bass. Lobed fins for sure.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I caught a fish on the dick lure!

But then I dropped it next to the kayak when I tried to lift it on board.

I also paddled about 24km against the tide in both directions, caught gently caress all and saw a huge bust up with dolphins and seals smashing baitfish against the surface. I had half a dozen dolphins playing around within a meter of the kayak, went to take a photo and couldn't unlock the phone because my fingers were too wet.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I went out Saturday morning and got skunked for trout. :( 10,000 recent stockies and none of them were hungry for bait or irritated by lures.

I saw some large fish jumping clear out of the water, though. I haven't seen that happen since last fall, and it's a welcomed sign. I should probably have gotten to the lake a little earlier; I definitely qualified for "if you can see your bait, you're too late." I need to be less stubborn, too. I will stay at a spot that isn't producing for far too long because I am stupid.

DICK LURE UPDATE: I have two silver ones left that I will be saving to replace lost dick lures that have already gone out. If you lose a dick lure in the line of duty, please contact me and I'll replace it if I have one left.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Apparently there are also dick grubs available. Because of course there are.

... what colors should I order? Motor oil?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Pearl white.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Broke that skunk. Also accidentally posted this in the OSHA thread at first.

The other guy's on the pier donated to my cause to fill my limit for the night.

I caught the biggest at 22"

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

motor oil and the black one. Fish feeding on crickets or mudeyes would be all over the black one

I finished up my job at the fishing tackle distributor today. My claim to fame there is buying more than a lot of actual stores, and my final staff purchase was more than some stores buy in a year lol

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
I’ve recently started getting into keiryu fishing, which is a type of Japanese fixed-line bait fishing. Basically it’s using small live bait with what essentially amounts to a longer, stiffer tenkara rod. Traditionally, keiryu anglers would use small dip nets to strain some nymphs/bugs from the water they’re fishing, or flip rocks for stonefly nymphs, but since this is illegal in some states, a lot of people in the US either use bait crickets or red wigglers. I started a small red wiggler worm farm to supply my bait.

Just picked up a Kurenai Long 61 to use for crappie fishing, using both flies and baits. It’s big enough to throw live minnows as well as worms, so I’m gonna try both.

Would anyone be interested in a write up on keiryu fishing and the how-to for the worm farm?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Do eet.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Would anyone be interested in a write up on keiryu fishing and the how-to for the worm farm?

Yes!

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Alrighty then! I’m phone posting from work, but I’ll write something up this evening when I have computer access.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Always post! Fish posts are great.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

I’ve recently started getting into keiryu fishing, which is a type of Japanese fixed-line bait fishing. Basically it’s using small live bait with what essentially amounts to a longer, stiffer tenkara rod. Traditionally, keiryu anglers would use small dip nets to strain some nymphs/bugs from the water they’re fishing, or flip rocks for stonefly nymphs, but since this is illegal in some states, a lot of people in the US either use bait crickets or red wigglers. I started a small red wiggler worm farm to supply my bait.

Just picked up a Kurenai Long 61 to use for crappie fishing, using both flies and baits. It’s big enough to throw live minnows as well as worms, so I’m gonna try both.

:justpost:

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Speaking of keiryu fishing, I had to empty the back of my station wagon yesterday to transport my bike. These were all back there:

7 rods: two tenkararodco tenkara rods, a daiwa expert, 2 kurenai (one 6 meter, one 3 meter), a Nissin Kyogi carp rod, and a pole and line Rudow 8.5 meter honryu rod.

Still in the back are a tanago microfishing rod and a Korean gyeonji rod.

I think I got a problem guys.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 7, 2018

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I think this is going to be the year I get into micro fishing. There so many tiny streams and tributaries everywhere that I hike I find it hard to resist wanting to fish each and everyone of them.

What’s a good rod/kit to start with? My areas are generally pretty overgrown so a rod around six footer under seems like the best place to start, as I think I’ll be dipping more than casting a lot of the time.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

bongwizzard posted:

I think this is going to be the year I get into micro fishing. There so many tiny streams and tributaries everywhere that I hike I find it hard to resist wanting to fish each and everyone of them.

What’s a good rod/kit to start with? My areas are generally pretty overgrown so a rod around six footer under seems like the best place to start, as I think I’ll be dipping more than casting a lot of the time.

I'd pick up a Nissin Sasuke and a some 6 or 7x tippet (or equivalent sized mono), at least if you want to go fixed-line.

http://www.tenkarabum.com/nissin-sasuke.html

I've got a weaker tanago rod, a Daiwa Hinata, and I'm always worried about breaking it. The sasuke is a lot beefier than most microfishing rods.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

bongwizzard posted:

TenBum has a whole section on micro fishing. Check out his website, the Shimotsuke Kiyotaki is pretty popular for micro's in the 170 length, and is only $70. I use my Suntech Kurenai HM30R for micros, it's a bit longer, but I haven't had any problems using it. If it's too brushy for a 3m rod, I just collapse the bottom section or hold the rod from the first section past the handle. It's a much more expensive rod, but they're wonderfully light and well balanced, and will handle much larger fish than you would expect. Catching bluegill on a rod that weighs less than an ounce is amazingly fun. He also sells some super-handy pre-rigged micro line kits that have the incredibly tiny hooks already snelled on, with line markers and a tiny wooden bobber already ready to go. Just attach it to your lillian and go fish.

On that note, one of the things recommended for micro bait is small rings cut out of a red wiggler. Since that makes such a nice segue, here's my red wiggler worm farm write up.

This is the original post by Les Albjerg on TenBum's page. Normal worm farming is pretty smelly and dirty, the whole point in the Park Avenue worm farm is to keep it small and essentially stink free. Using a 1.3gal steel kitchen compost pail from Amazon that has a carbon filter in the lid keeps everything compact, portable, and stinkless. This lets you set it up in an apartment or house and keep them inside somewhere out of the way without making your home smell like a bait shop.

Red wigglers are like tiny nightcrawlers; they're smaller and much more active than nightcrawlers in general. They're also considered to be prime composting/farming worms, and apparently their castings make fantastic fertilizer. I have a second worm farm going in a bucket that I'm going to transfer to a big Rubbermaid tote when I get the chance, and those are going to be for some raised beds this spring, if the weather ever calms down enough to get the boxes started.

Materials: total cost to get started was about $60, worms included. You can knock this down significantly if you use a regular old bucket, but then you're back to having to deal with funky worm smell.

Kitchen compost bin. You'll want one with the activated charcoal filter at the top if you want to keep it inside the house, otherwise it's pretty wormy smelling. It also helps keep the soil from drying out too fast.

Red wigglers. For this size farm, you only need about 200-250 worms to start with. This setup will hold a stable population of around 500 worms or so, more in bigger containers. Prices vary on these, and may be available from local organic farming/composting supply shops.

Miracle Gro Moisture Control potting soil. Apparently, it needs to be this specific soil. The soil contains edible bits for the worms, and the moisture control properties keep it from drying out as quickly, and gives you some extra buffer for over/underwatering later on. Much cheaper at a local Walmart or Lowe's, btw.

Cricket food. For weekly feedings and optimum wormy health. You're only going to use a light dusting once a week, so a can like this should last about 6-8 months. If you're raising them for gardening only, you can get worm food specifically for red wigglers, but those are intended to maximize black cast production for fertilizer, not necessarily breeding more worms or bigger worms.

Corn meal. Adding a little corn meal every week or two will promote reproduction and fat worms. You're supposed to use about a teaspoon, I probably use less to err on the side of caution. Too much, and the leftovers will ferment and ruin your soil with fungi and funk.

Spray bottle for watering. Not really necessary, but it makes adding water a lot easier.

1" cardboard squares. Like, a couple dozen. They provide supplemental nutrition and also nesting material. I just cut up a flap from a cardboard box or whatever.

Getting Started

Wash and dry your compost pail, then add cardboard to the bottom and then soil to about 1/3 the depth of the pail. You're going to add a little soil every time you fluff/feed/water your worms, so you need room to add, plus room to mix it in there without spilling everywhere. Add water as you mix your soil, you want it moist, but not wet. It should feel damp to the touch, but if you squeeze a handful, you shouldn't get more than a drop or two of water out of it. Too wet is worse than too dry, so err on the side of caution. Another tip was to set up your soil and bedding a few days before you add worms, that way you can adjust the amount of moisture if you need to. Once it's had a couple days to stabilize, add your worms. Just dump 'em on top, they'll be fine. I forgot to take a pic at this point, so you'll just have to use your imagination. If they're in a big wad, leave 'em that way, they're having a worm orgy. Maybe put on some Marvin Gaye, or some mood lighting. Help 'em out, they're doing it for your benefit.

When you first add them, they'll want to stay on the top or pretty shallow if you leave them in the dark. Leave the top off for a while in a well-lit room and they'll head deeper into the soil to find the bedding at the bottom. Once they're all off the top, go ahead and cover it.

Once a week, you're going to fluff up your soil, add water if needed, and feed the little guys. Just use your hands is easiest, it only takes a minute. Fluffing the soil lets you check for dry or wet spots, as well giving you an idea of how your worms are doing. When you're stirring it up, try to get all the way to the cardboard at the bottom, but don't bring it up with you. Just leave it at the bottom. Supposedly, they'll lay eggs in it, but I've found egg cases throughout the bucket, so whatev's. Once you're done fluffing, smooth the top out a bit, and you're ready to feed 'em.

This is what the soil looked like after a week of worms burrowing, eating, and loving in it. Go ahead and add a half inch or so of fresh soil when you mix, it add more edible material to the mix and gives you some leeway on feeding. If you miss a week of mixing/feeding, no big whoop, they should be fine.

This is after mixing and adding soil/water. I usually only need to add maybe 5-10 sprays of water each week. Note the round yellowish ball looking things; those are egg sacs. They're kinda hard little shells, and they have up to a dozen or so babies in each. They started appearing within just a few days of adding the worms, these guys don't mess around.

Now that we're at the 1 week point, it's time to feed some worms. You're going to sprinkle enough cricket feed on top to lightly cover the surface. Ideally, it should take the worms no more than a day or two to eat it all, much more and you risk it spoiling/molding from the damp

This amount took them 2 days to eat at this point, so I was a little heavy, but not enough to worry about. Later on, roughly this same amount is gone overnight, so they're good now.

After 2-3 weeks, your population should be steady, and now you add a little corn meal to your feedings. The article says 1 tsp every week or two, but if you use too much, it will ferment and poison the soil, so again, err on the side of caution. I use just a pinch or two.

You know you're in business when you start finding these guys while fluffing the soil.

About 2-3 times a year, you'll need to do a total soil replacement. I've only been at it for about a month, so I haven't done this part yet. I'll most likely just dig out a couple good handfuls of worms, then throw the rest of the soil in the garden beds. At that point, it should be mostly worm poo, so it should be fantastic for your plants.

There ya go, a worm ranch suitable for a Park Avenue apartment. When I go fishing, I usually just grab a handful of soil and worms, dump most of the soil back in the pot, then put a small amount with the worms into a pocket sized can. I use a can that one of my tenkara lines came in, it's basically a tin a little thicker than a Skoal can, with a clear plastic top. It's handy, works well, and was free. If you wanna get fancy, there's pretty cool turned wood bait cans available from TenBum.

Mr Albjerg also posted an article on scouring worms for bait. Basically, it's an old technique for toughening up worms you're going to fish with; it also makes them much more active in the water. You're essentially going to starve, dehydrate, and clean them. To do this, you take your wad of worms, wash the soil off, then place them in a clean container with clean moss. Either find some outside, but pick all the sticks/twigs/dirt/bugs out of it, or go the easy route and order some terrarium moss. Leave the worms in the moss bedding for about 2-3 days. They'll start to get more active and get a darker, redder color as they scour. They'll become much more translucent as they finally poo poo out all their worm poo as well (look closely at the pic of the baby worm and you can see the individual balls of soil in it's gut). I haven't tried this yet, but Mr Albjerg tried it out, and found that scoured worms lived about twice as long on the hook, and were much more active on the hook as well.

Oh yeah, when fishing with these guys, some people recommend threading the hook down the length of the body, and TenBum actually sells a little tool that makes this really easy. It's essentially a retractable blunt-tipped large caliber hypodermic needle. You thread the needle through the length of the worm, then hook the tip of your hook in the hole in the needle, then just slide the worm off onto the hook. This leaves only a tiny bit of the point exposed, and is supposed to make the worm stay on your hook better if you're casting with a light line instead of basically plunking them in the water under your rod like you would with true keiryu fishing. Mr Albjerg recommends hooking them differently, by only going through the worm once, just behind the clitellum (the band looking spot where most of the worm's organs are). He claims this makes them live longer, but they are easy to cast off the hook this way. Scouring them is going to make them tougher, and they should hold up to casting a lot easier this way.

I'll write up the post on keiryu fishing in a little bit.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 8, 2018

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

a foolish pianist posted:

Speaking of keiryu fishing, I had to empty the back of my station wagon yesterday to transport my bike. These were all back there:

7 rods: two tenkararodco tenkara rods, a daiwa expert, 2 kurenai (one 6 meter, one 3 meter), a Nissin Kyogi carp rod, and a pole and line Rudow 8.5 meter honryu rod.

That's a nice rod collection you got going there. I just sold 3 rods this last week to fund my Kurenai Long 61 and a Daiwa Keiryu-X 45.

How do you like the gyeonji rod? I haven't tried that yet, but it looks really interesting. Do you cast with it, or do the weird downstream/drifting thing the dude in that one Korean gyeonji video uses?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

That's a nice rod collection you got going there. I just sold 3 rods this last week to fund my Kurenai Long 61 and a Daiwa Keiryu-X 45.

How do you like the gyeonji rod? I haven't tried that yet, but it looks really interesting. Do you cast with it, or do the weird downstream/drifting thing the dude in that one Korean gyeonji video uses?

I love my Kurenai Long 61. Watching it pull into a huge arc is so satisfying, and it doesn't take much fish to bend it nearly into a circle.

With the gyeonji, I sometimes cast by grabbing the float and tossing it while keeping the rod pointed out to allow the line to unspool quickly. The downstream drift works better, though, and I enjoy it more. I bought one of Devin's initial run (he's a guy in Wisconsin who runs an aquarium fittings engineering/production shop and does some gyeonji rod-building on the side) about a year ago, so it's a US-made rod. Pulling in a fish on it feels awesome. I've mostly gotten rock bass and smallmouth with it.

EDIT: He's got a proper website for his gyeonji rods now:

http://www.gyeonjinearctic.com/

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 8, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

a foolish pianist posted:

Get a bigger car?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I am starting to feel like micro-fishing is a rabbit hole I might not want to head into.

I have so far this year bought....four rods and 1 reel? No, five rods. I am getting close to “done” though, other then a crank rod I have every base covered for both bank and kayak rods. I am most of the way there for perch/panfish, with maybe just a longer UL spinning rod for when it is too windy to use my bfs inline spinner combo.

At some point I am gonna sell a bunch of poo poo off if I can summon the willpower to do it.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

bongwizzard posted:

I am starting to feel like micro-fishing is a rabbit hole I might not want to head into.

I have so far this year bought....four rods and 1 reel? No, five rods. I am getting close to “done” though, other then a crank rod I have every base covered for both bank and kayak rods. I am most of the way there for perch/panfish, with maybe just a longer UL spinning rod for when it is too windy to use my bfs inline spinner combo.

At some point I am gonna sell a bunch of poo poo off if I can summon the willpower to do it.

Eh, the extra stuff is nice, but you can get by with some really light line, a short rod, and some size 20 or smaller fly hooks. Just use small pieces of cooked rice or little tiny balls of power bait putty works good too. Use the lightest rod you have, and tie some short bits of yarn to your line and trim the ends down to about 1/4”. Use at least 3, 4 is better. These act as strike indicators since you won’t feel takes. Drop the line in front of some teeny fish and watch for the line to move sideways a little. Try it out and see if you like it first.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

If you want to give it a try, I'll mail you some size 14-18 tied nymphs. I have good luck with shiners, chubs, and tiny sunfish on bead-head caddis, walts worms and simple grubs, simple japanese sakasa kebari, that sort of thing. PM me.

EDIT: Micros on small flies, Saline River, Au Sable River, and Hell Creek, respectively:

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 8, 2018

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
New catfish stockers, a bit small but feisty. Managed to hook both of these at the same time of separate poles.

Digging through a local thrift shop found this Daiwa 30h for $15, appears completely untouched by corrosion. Not really useful for the size I'm fishing but will hold onto it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Micro fishing seems like a good way to restock my fish tank Hrm....

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

There was a dude I used to watch that micro fished, he would just use tiny hooks with tiny pieces of hot dog.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

There was a dude I used to watch that micro fished, he would just use tiny hooks with tiny pieces of hot dog.

Yeah, I’m thinking if I end up buying a rod for it I would just use little crappy pellets or whatever they’re called. Harvesting my own worms seem sort of fun, but I don’t think I’m cut out for agriculture on any scale.

The micro thing is mainly attractive in the sense that I could have a complete fishing set up that will slide into the water bottle hiking pack. I am looking to a budget rod as it seems inevitable that either I will slip and fall on the road, breaking it, or will not be able to resist the temptation to target larger fish than the rod can handle.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I’ve been snooping TenBum trying to figure out a good collapsible rod that is compact enough for bike/pack fishing but burly enough to handle 5x and larger trout (16-20”).

Been tough. Most packable compacts don’t like much bigger than 6x.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

gamera009 posted:

I’ve been snooping TenBum trying to figure out a good collapsible rod that is compact enough for bike/pack fishing but burly enough to handle 5x and larger trout (16-20”).

Tenkara USA just released the Hane, a 10'10" rod that collapses to 15". Pretty sure it'd work fine with 5x tippet.

http://www.tenkarausa.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/207

I'm probably going to pick one up myself.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

gamera009 posted:

Daiwa Keiryu-X rods. They’re tough enough to handle bass, and go to 5x tippet. Not super expensive, high quality rods, and they pack down to about 14” regardless of extended length. Alternatively, the TenBum Traveller rods, he’s got them from 2.4m out to some adjustable length rods at 33/36/39 or 39/40/44 lengths. They’re a bit pricier, like $225 or so for the longer ones.

One of the advantages of tenkara-type rods is that the long length and flexibility will protect a light tippet, and let you handle fish above the normal breaking weight of the tippet. He’s got pics of a 26” brown caught on a Keiryu-X with 6x tippet, so it can be done.

TenkaraBum Traveller

Keiryu-X

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 9, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

This method certainly catches sunfish in backyard ponds in the Carolinas, anyway. I should let my nephew know that he's microfishing. Actually, maybe I should get him a tenkara pole when he's a little older. Hmm.

(Also, you should really try surf fishing this year. The SD area is pinned the map for my eventual CA surf fish trip as a must-do.)

bongwizzard posted:

It's kind of the opposite of micro, but I still really hope that you post a striper this year. And please let us know what you decide to sell! I have some stuff that I need to basically garage sale also. Would anybody be interested in a PaF Tackle Swap of some kind? Probably wouldn't be very hard to put together a shared spreadsheet with basic WTS/WTB listings.

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Extremely good worm farm post

Thank you for this! Any reason why this wouldn't work for nightcrawlers in a 5 gallon bucket? I'm going to keep it in a shady corner on my patio, so the stink factor is less of a concern. Regardless, this is a really cool project that I want to try at home.

Selious posted:

New catfish stockers, a bit small but feisty. Managed to hook both of these at the same time of separate poles.

Digging through a local thrift shop found this Daiwa 30h for $15, appears completely untouched by corrosion. Not really useful for the size I'm fishing but will hold onto it.

Nice catfish! Do you eat them? And very nice find with that level wind reel! Even if you don't have plans to use it, it seems like it would be great to practice with. Or you could sell it to me, you know, whatever.

Sockington posted:

Broke that skunk. Also accidentally posted this in the OSHA thread at first.

The other guy's on the pier donated to my cause to fill my limit for the night.

I caught the biggest at 22"

:bisonyes: :neckbeard: This is loving beautiful. Nice work.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

It's kind of the opposite of micro, but I still really hope that you post a striper this year. And please let us know what you decide to sell! I have some stuff that I need to basically garage sale also. Would anybody be interested in a PaF Tackle Swap of some kind? Probably wouldn't be very hard to put together a shared spreadsheet with basic WTS/WTB listings.

Yeah, once I get my act together I’ll post a thread in SA Mart. Still trying to decide if I can accept that collecting tackle is a valid hobby and and of itself. My last rod purchase was a discontinued G Loomis rod off of eBay that is identical to a rod I already own, except that the blank is different. And oh man am I loving excited to take them out and fish them side-by-side and write a bunch of long-winded posts about the subtle differences between them. Common sense would dictate that I should sell the lesser of the two to defer the cost of the nicer one, which would become steal the century at that point, but part of my brain says to keep both “just in case”.

And yes, I do plan on going after stripers. The season should really kick in in mid to late April and I am only two reel purchases away from having my trolling rig ready!

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Thank you for this! Any reason why this wouldn't work for nightcrawlers in a 5 gallon bucket? I'm going to keep it in a shady corner on my patio, so the stink factor is less of a concern. Regardless, this is a really cool project that I want to try at home.

None that I know of? A buddy of mine had good success with nightcrawlers using a big old cooler, with feeding them newspaper and coffee grounds and scraps from his kitchen. Nightcrawlers will live on about anything organic, I think.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

(Also, you should really try surf fishing this year. The SD area is pinned the map for my eventual CA surf fish trip as a must-do.)

Dude! I was just talking to my brother in law the other day about surf fishing, it's absolutely on my list of things I want to try this year. It's apparently as simple as digging up sand crabs and putting them on a small hook with a 1/4 oz weight. I think my trout rod will be perfect for it, especially with the salt water approved reel I have on there. I just need to get over that initial hump of going out and looking like an idiot in front of people while I figure it out.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

Dude! I was just talking to my brother in law the other day about surf fishing, it's absolutely on my list of things I want to try this year. It's apparently as simple as digging up sand crabs and putting them on a small hook with a 1/4 oz weight. I think my trout rod will be perfect for it, especially with the salt water approved reel I have on there. I just need to get over that initial hump of going out and looking like an idiot in front of people while I figure it out.

:neckbeard:

I think you're going to love it. It's cathartic to watch the waves roll all day, and there is a bit of added mystery as to what you're going to reel in when you get a bite. For you moreso than me, too! For me, when I feel a bite I can be pretty sure it's a redtail (unless it's a tiny sculpin or a freeloading crab :argh:). For you, it could be any number of things! And don't worry too much about looking like an idiot. If you can cast with a spinning reel, it's not that different to do it on a larger scale. And I try not to fish around people very much, either. It's hell on my anxiety when surfers and swimmers come around my line, so I try to avoid populated areas as much as I can.

Your trout setup may work, but it will probably be too light. I'm not sure what the currents are like there, but here you need heavy pyramid or coin sinkers (minimum 2oz, sometimes 4oz) just to keep your bait in place and to lob it as far as possible. You don't necessarily need a huge telephone pole rod, but 9-10' is appropriate. You'll need larger hooks, too, depending on where you fish. I'm totally down to help research, and I'll bet that I have some terminal tackle to spare to get you started.

Also, don't feel like it's too terribly necessary to have "saltwater rated" things to get started, just remember that saltwater is incredibly corrosive and you'll need to hose off rod, reel, and any gear that gets wet. If you're really worried about it, get a cheap reel in the 2500-3000 (or more) range that can be dedicated to saltwater. You probably don't need neoprene waders as much as I do, but saltwater rots that poo poo quickly if you don't rinse it out promptly.

PSA: If you live near the coast, you should go surf fishing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Unless you got jettys. Always found the rocks more productive for stuff to eat.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Unless you got jettys. Always found the rocks more productive for stuff to eat.

Teach me your ways.

bongwizzard posted:

Yeah, once I get my act together I’ll post a thread in SA Mart. Still trying to decide if I can accept that collecting tackle is a valid hobby and and of itself. My last rod purchase was a discontinued G Loomis rod off of eBay that is identical to a rod I already own, except that the blank is different. And oh man am I loving excited to take them out and fish them side-by-side and write a bunch of long-winded posts about the subtle differences between them. Common sense would dictate that I should sell the lesser of the two to defer the cost of the nicer one, which would become steal the century at that point, but part of my brain says to keep both “just in case”.

And yes, I do plan on going after stripers. The season should really kick in in mid to late April and I am only two reel purchases away from having my trolling rig ready!

Man, some people have 47 varieties of Mosin-Nagant. I don't know why collecting specific and interesting rods would be invalid, and "just in case" is also why I'm hanging on to a pair of surf rods that I don't even want at this point.

Seriously cannot wait to see a striper though. I want to catch one so badly, but vicariously through the thread is acceptable too.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Kinda hard to find seclusion at a San Diego beach, unless you go down south near TJ. The southern beaches are plagued by the invasive Tijuana Brown Trout.

Re: tackle, I saw this last year and it was my inspiration.

https://sdfish.com/lake-boy/light-tackle-surf-fishing-sickness/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

Kinda hard to find seclusion at a San Diego beach, unless you go down south near TJ. The southern beaches are plagued by the invasive Tijuana Brown Trout.

Re: tackle, I saw this last year and it was my inspiration.

https://sdfish.com/lake-boy/light-tackle-surf-fishing-sickness/

Fair point; you won't find empty beaches, but I guess I just meant the parts with relatively fewer people. This dude from the article found a good one:

Thanks for linking the article, too. I don't know dick about corbina, but it sounds like people know what they're doing, though, so totally give that a shot! I might try it, too. It would simplify my surf setup an absolute ton if all I needed for redtails was a 1/4oz egg sinker on a Carolina rig. Seems light to me, but I'm no pro.