Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I don't like the Canon, because I had an idea for a podcast called Creed is the Greatest Movie of All Time, and the idea was extremely similar to the Canon, but it would just be asking is this movie better than Creed (answer: its not)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I assumed that was basically what that Denzel Washington podcast was about.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh yeah I forgot that existed.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Matt Lindland posted:

Even before it turned out the one guy was a raper I didn't care for The Canon because instead of doing borderline films and doing a breakdown every ep I listened to was like Godfather Part 2 and it'd go

1: This film is a perfect classic
2: This movie is trash because of (some weird politics thing or one of them doesn't like the shoes or something) and you're a shitbag dirt farter.

Yeah agreed that that wasn't a great format for the show. It's a lot better than that now and Amy has a lot of pretty interesting things to say about the movies they feature, plus she gets some worthwhile guests on there. Honestly I think the worst thing about it is the entire conceit of the show; they should dispense with the whole "does this belong in The Canon" thing and just basically talk about things they do and don't like about specific movies

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Matt Lindland posted:

Do any of you guys listen to any of the 900 weird wolf pop fold-in & post-scripps podcasts on earwolf. Are any of them good. Like obviously I’m never going to listen to the politics ones but are any of the 8 gay guy culture podcasts funny.

I'm a big fan of Get Up On This, which was on whatever Kevin Smith's group is before they moved to Wolfpop. Host Jensen Karp has led a damned interesting life: signed to a record deal in college after he blew up battle rapping on the radio, used the money to open a pop culture themed art gallery, and did odd side projects and gigs until he created "Drop The Mic," and is now engaged to Topanga from Boy Meets World.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation

Riptor posted:

Yeah agreed that that wasn't a great format for the show. It's a lot better than that now and Amy has a lot of pretty interesting things to say about the movies they feature, plus she gets some worthwhile guests on there. Honestly I think the worst thing about it is the entire conceit of the show; they should dispense with the whole "does this belong in The Canon" thing and just basically talk about things they do and don't like about specific movies

Yeah I think these are both good movie podcast formats (and there's plenty of podcasts that do either, I assume)

1. Discuss very well regarded films that have heavily influenced film-making / the culture / whatever. Feel free to bring up things you think don't work or that have aged weirdly, do trivia, talk about what it's influenced, so on

2. Argue about if marginal, niche, or cult following films are legitimately good films or even good schlock

However on release The Canon was a weird mishmash of the two where one of them would mount a spirited defense of Citizen Kane and the other one would tear it down but there's no real way to tear a film like that down except to say it's too slow by modern standards, which makes you look stupid, so they'd say like that the hats were ugly and that they called the rosebud thing.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

Coco13 posted:

I'm a big fan of Get Up On This, which was on whatever Kevin Smith's group is before they moved to Wolfpop. Host Jensen Karp has led a damned interesting life: signed to a record deal in college after he blew up battle rapping on the radio, used the money to open a pop culture themed art gallery, and did odd side projects and gigs until he created "Drop The Mic," and is now engaged to Topanga from Boy Meets World.

I listened to this for a while (pre-earwolf I think?) cause I liked Karp on Who Charted but I kind of got tired of hearing about halo top ice cream. Also they're very into the drake-y stuff and I don't really like that so I also got tired of being told about post malone et al

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Chairman Capone posted:

Devin Faraci did briefly come back for the start of the year Oscar round-up episode of The Canon. He called in to talk about how much he liked The Last Jedi because just like Luke Skywalker, he's on a quest to make himself a better person.

lmao

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What was that book that PFT used to stop smoking?

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

What was that book that PFT used to stop smoking?

http://paulftompkins.com/post/33815114730/this-is-the-book-that-helped-me-to-stop-smoking

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTSLo8sKTPE

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Awesome, thanks! Bought it for my brother who is a few days in and having a rough time.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Lmao. What’s the time stamp for the spontaneiation where he talks about this?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I'm disappointed that Hard Nation ended.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

feedmyleg posted:

Awesome, thanks! Bought it for my brother who is a few days in and having a rough time.

The book actually tells you to keep smoking while you read it. But the book is what helped me quit too. (Good luck to your brother!)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

How to be Less Old aka OMFG is ending/leaving Earwolf today

rip??

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Devin Faraci did briefly come back for the start of the year Oscar round-up episode of The Canon. He called in to talk about how much he liked The Last Jedi because just like Luke Skywalker, he's on a quest to make himself a better person.

I thought the part in The Last Jedi where Luke sexually assaulted a bunch of women and became a Buddhist in response to being called out on it was a weird direction for the franchise, so I'm thankful that The Canon brought back the most qualified critic in the industry to speak on it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Srice posted:

I thought the part in The Last Jedi where Luke sexually assaulted a bunch of women and became a Buddhist in response to being called out on it was a weird direction for the franchise, so I'm thankful that The Canon brought back the most qualified critic in the industry to speak on it.

Amy Nicholson seems to still be really close friends with Faraci despite everything, which is just sad, especially given how she seems generally pretty attentive to gender relations and power imbalances in her reviews. And I can understand her staying friends with him, but more than once since she brought the show back she's made comments along the lines of "Devin is doing a lot of great work to improve himself and I am so proud of him" and it just sets my teeth on edge.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/983724110394966021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Amy Nicholson seems to still be really close friends with Faraci despite everything, which is just sad, especially given how she seems generally pretty attentive to gender relations and power imbalances in her reviews. And I can understand her staying friends with him, but more than once since she brought the show back she's made comments along the lines of "Devin is doing a lot of great work to improve himself and I am so proud of him" and it just sets my teeth on edge.

Same. It's hard for me to believe the guy has changed what with how he "quit" his job once the allegations came out but was secretly rehired not too long after and only stepped down again once the news became public.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Matt Lindland posted:

Do any of you guys listen to any of the 900 weird wolf pop fold-in & post-scripps podcasts on earwolf. Are any of them good. Like obviously I’m never going to listen to the politics ones but are any of the 8 gay guy culture podcasts funny.

Sylvester Stallone podcast is great!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Sylvester Stallone podcast is great!

Oh man. I absolutely second this. I love the episode where Scheer calls his mom.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's been fun this week listening to various hosts of not-flagship earwolf shows being baffled/offended for being asked to read an ad for CBB.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Stitcher app is so bad...

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
fwiw, I still just have a Howl subscription and use the Howl app and it still updates w/ all the premium content. There's a permanent ad on top of the app asking you to switch to Stitcher, but other than that it's the same as it ever was. And I mean, the Howl app isn't great but at least new episodes show up.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's been fun this week listening to various hosts of not-flagship earwolf shows being baffled/offended for being asked to read an ad for CBB.

PFT’s mock outrage is always fun.

Speaking of... https://instagram.com/p/BhaR-ROFX0b/

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Holy crap, the intro to Raised By TV.

Billy West does Ren and Stimpy intro for Gabrus and Lapkus

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

SoupyTwist posted:

The boys should have an entire episode about this wall.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

crimedog posted:

Holy crap, the intro to Raised By TV.

Billy West does Ren and Stimpy intro for Gabrus and Lapkus

Gonna download it just for this.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

is the episode about how the ren and stimpy guy took a 15 year old fangirl under his wing and sexually abused her for years?

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

Yeah that's probably what the episode of raised by tv is about. It's probably not about them trying to remember the lyrics to the log song for 50 minutes.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Papa John Misty posted:

Hollywood Handbook is good because The Boys say the things all the other hosts are too afraid to

Matt Lindland posted:

Yeah that's probably what the episode of raised by tv is about. It's probably not about them trying to remember the lyrics to the log song for 50 minutes.

It's about yelling about how MESSED UP it was for Sam to come into Clarissa's room day and night by way of a ladder, and later yelling about sort of remembering that Roundhouse existed

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

That popcorn ep of HH was pretty funny. Nicole Parker should be on more stuff, her Off Books were great IIRC

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
100% the best part about the new HH was the boys talking about the luggage ad.

Also when Nicole took over the show. When the boys go low status and have to defend themselves or get mopey it's the absolute best.

SoupyTwist posted:

:laffo: the very end killed me. The audacity

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

And it's even an outdated Spont logo.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 11, 2018

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I loved when HH mentioned that Hims was now a former sponsor. I cracked up so much. I wish there was a list of all the sponsors they've runoff over the years.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That logo is outdated, too. The future button should be burnt out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This videogames channel I watch got infested with Hims sponsorship a couple of days ago. I'd like to hear a podcast that tries to read their copy sincerely (doing so under photoshops of droopy cactuses doesn't count.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym3Yfr2zio4&t=551s

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 11, 2018

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I loved when HH mentioned that Hims was now a former sponsor. I cracked up so much. I wish there was a list of all the sponsors they've runoff over the years.

promo code brainisthelargestsexorganinthefemalebody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Papa John Misty posted:

I must be the only one who doesn't hate the stitcher app. I really don't understand all of the complaints.