Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Serotonin posted:

Yep and it looks fantastic. Will be hitting up their demo table at Salute and buying some more plastic tanks

Great! I have many questions but I think the pdf goes on general sale tomorrow.

I do want to ask if it one tank per player? And what nations / eras are represented?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

moths posted:

Great! I have many questions but I think the pdf goes on general sale tomorrow.

I do want to ask if it one tank per player? And what nations / eras are represented?

It's presented as being one tank per player for the purposes of the campaign, though you could easily have one player commanding a couple tanks in a battle. At the beginning of each round the order every tank will act is decided, and then each tank takes its turn.

The tank stats listed are 1939-1945, Germany, France, UK, Japan, Soviet, and USA. The way they are presented the stats generally improve across the board for tanks built later in the war. The actual stats are very simple though, just an armor and strike value and one of a handful of special rules (e.g. slow, fast, low-profile, tank destroyer etc.) so you could probably adapt the stats to multiple eras.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Signal posted:

In chain of Command, can you take a halftrack and put an AT gun with crew into it, to make one of the armed variants?

You can usually just buy the armed variant itself. The Consolidated Arsenal has listing for most of these (e.g. the SdKfz 251/10 with 3.7cm Pak-36, which clocks in at Support List 4). If it doesn't have the variant you want, you can just run the vehicle + gun stats through the CoCulator to get the correct Support List cost.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Ilor posted:

You can usually just buy the armed variant itself. The Consolidated Arsenal has listing for most of these (e.g. the SdKfz 251/10 with 3.7cm Pak-36, which clocks in at Support List 4). If it doesn't have the variant you want, you can just run the vehicle + gun stats through the CoCulator to get the correct Support List cost.

Great, thanks! Now to figure out what panzergrenadier force I want to build to fight Americans in Normandy. :p

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

After playing quite a few 500pt games of Bolt Action, I've decided that:

A. Bolt Action is a very fun game.
B. I want a veteran-level army.

So I'm very seriously considering US Airborne.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, listbuilding right now is a case of "But I want EVERYONE to have Thompsons and BARs!"

Fitting veteran stuff under 500pts is claustrophobic.
Yeah, Bolt Action can be really fun. Just keep in mind choosing a Veteran infantry list will almost always be out-activated. They're very powerful in specific situations, but if things start going wrong, they tend to compound (which hey, makes sense for special forces). The US Airborne models are fantastic. Aside from the rulebook & the US army book, you might want to consider the Market Garden Campaign book, since that has a few extra options for Airborne (naturally).

Speaking of Bolt Action, I do have some rules queries for the thread, since I was just in a BA tourney (I lost. Which I'd be OK with - it'd be proof of my 'the more painted my dudes, the more I suck at using them' hypothesis, but I wound up playing some real rules lawyers.)
1) When it comes to artillery/HE, you can overlap units that are nearby, as long a you maximise the target units, right? Does that include weapons teams/vehicles? Because I was told that you had to centre the template in both cases. Which is annoying, since after rolling one of the best arty barrages I've ever done (the fact he'd clumped all his units in one place helped), I had both of those that could have had some nice collateral damage. The example the TO gave for weapons teams was if someone had dispersed the models of the team out to 3 different points, which if anything you'd think would be a counterexample (since if Id been shooting this hypothetical cheeselord mortar team with one of my light mortars, I would technically hit loving nothing centred on the base).
2) This isn't really a rules question, but I had to mention it. Last game (the 8th Army guy), we have a board that's an actual hill with a bunch of ruins. Very impressive, especially since most of the others are just flat boards with a bunch of hedges & houses. My opponent declares he's calling in his free artillery on a tiny bit of ruins on my side of the hill where some of my units are gathered, since you can technically just barely see it from his side of the hill. The poker chip he used as his artillery marker wouldn't even stay on.

I guess I technically came out ahead (well, ahead of everyone outside the top though, since one part of the booby prize (apart from a 'hilarious' trophy with breasts that has found its rightful place in the back of a cupboard and probably later a landfill) was a set of the British Airborne hardcarts, which might make a nice objective. A lot better than the sprue of farm animals everyone else who wasn't in the top 3 got. I dunno, maybe I'm the rear end in a top hat.

Despite all my complaints over that particular experience, I'd still heartily recommend Bolt Action though! I mean, I can finish painting my dudes and I can't sink any lower, right?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Serotonin posted:

Yep and it looks fantastic. Will be hitting up their demo table at Salute and buying some more plastic tanks
I was gonna go this year and try organise a goonmeet, but it was a week earlier than expected so I can't really justify spending the money for flights that weekend or coming home Monday evening to go back on Thursday.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thanks for the WaWanker info! I'm somehow more pumped for it now.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Signal posted:

In chain of Command, can you take a halftrack and put an AT gun with crew into it, to make one of the armed variants?

The Consolidated Arsenal has fan-made stats for just about every vehicle you can imagine

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've brought my models over to my sister's place, as she's home on maternity leave and I figured this would be a good family bonding thingy and give me some social interaction while also getting to hang out with the cats.

I have to assemble: 8 SU-85/85M/100/100M tank destroyers. (Plastic?)
1 IS-2 obj. 1943 (Some sort of resin?)
And to paint: 1 spetsnaz platoon, 1 engineer sapper platoon. (Also resin?)

(Not pictured here the IS-2 package as this picture came later in the day!)

(There was a surprising amount of "Some Assembly required..." this day!)

Following instructions my friend passed me here: https://flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=4303

and with the superglue, brushes, I bought at the arts supply store I began my task.

Tank tied up awaiting interrogation by the enemy team's Caveira

For some reason initially the glue doesn't just stick together and has to be held together, but later sometimes sticks instantly, which gets annoying when trying to precisely align the fuel tanks on the rear of my SU's.

The fuel tanks in particular cause a lot of headache as my fingers end up getting caught in the glue and pulling the tank off of the tank via my finger tip.

My friend on discord who told me there was a huge discount on Flames of War mini's which prompted my to clear out the available stock of Soviet kit from that store suggested I take a candle and eat up the blade of an exacto knife.

My sister vetoed the idea. :(

My sister also intervenes a couple of times, apparently its a bad idea to cut towards yourself but I was being careful I swear! A cutting board is brought in.

(This machine kills fascists! :black101:)

I assembled the SU-100, and found that nothing really stops me from also assembling the SU-85, since I didn't glue the top and bottom together presumably I can swap tops for different scenarios?

("You can totally pick up chicks in a tank")

The SU-85 though won't have exhaust ports, the crew will have to have the hatches open to deal with it. There will be no complaints! :commissar:

That 45 degree hatch can gently caress off.

(Iosif Stalin Tank Online... :black101:)

Cupola hatch slightly crooked. I'm not 100% that I got the treads attached right or if superglue is appropriate for it, I found no assembly guide online phone googling.

I had to dig up and find some pliers to hold the smaller resin fuel tanks because gently caress sawing those danglies off with a exacto knife.

(Psst Comrade, if we don't move, the bunny rabbit won't notice us...)

So far I've made two SU-100's, with optional SU-85's that they could swap with. The next two will be primarily SU-85's (i.e the ones that get the exhaust ports), I found this took me like 4 hours so I'm taking a break for a while but I hope to finish assembling the rest the time time I'm there.

My Brother in law is Bulgarian who was a child during Communist Bulgaria, I can't wait to mention how communist forces are slowly taking over his apartment. :D

My friend says to make 3 SU-85's and 3 SU-100's as that's closest to the army list he suggests I use, Motostrelkovy Batalon?

Cheapest option is infantry batalon, or go back and get 15 Shermans and pretend their lend-lease for like 50$. Thoughts?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i really hope you didnt buy any more of their poo poo after being treated like that, because holy gently caress

Ever hear of the "sunk cost fallacy?"

My Germans:

My Soviets:

These pics were taken about 8 years ago. Since then I've roughly doubled my Soviet tanks and added a Naval Infantry battalion. The Germans got a Fallschirmjager company.

I've also got plenty of Vietnam stuff:

Plus a load of Vietnam armor, North Vietnamese, Viet Cong, etc...

And my in-progress Soviets:

That said, I've bailed. I'm done.

I'll fill a couple of gaps in my Cold War armies - which I'll use with other rules - but beyond that, I'm out.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Fortunately, all of that stuff can be used for games that are way better than anything Battlefront puts out. I encourage you to check out TFL's "I Ain't Been Shot, Mum!" for company to battalion scale WW2 action, for instance. So fear not, your cost is not entirely sunk. Foundering in heavy seas, perhaps, but not sunk.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Cessna posted:

Broad insanity

You have my respect. Also, fear. And envy. And confusion.

But mostly respect.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
That sure is a lot of stuff!

Get into Battlegroup Kursk, why don't ya.

Dunno what's good for FoW-based Nam, tho.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

JcDent posted:

Get into Battlegroup Kursk, why don't ya.

Hell yes. That's my game of choice these days.

I'm also planning on using that Cold War stuff for Battlegroup NORTHAG.

JcDent posted:

Dunno what's good for FoW-based Nam, tho.

TFL's Charlie Don't Surf:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ilor posted:

Fortunately, all of that stuff can be used for games that are way better than anything Battlefront puts out. I encourage you to check out TFL's "I Ain't Been Shot, Mum!" for company to battalion scale WW2 action, for instance. So fear not, your cost is not entirely sunk. Foundering in heavy seas, perhaps, but not sunk.

I'm liking Battlegroup Kursk, but I do like the Lardies' approach. I'll check out I Ain't Been Shot, Mum!

I seem to recall rumors that they were making a Cold War version of that one - I Ain't Been Nuked, Mum! - did anything ever come out of that one?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How many of you revisit models to improve them?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I'd look into Blitzkrieg Commander when they finally do a corrected edition as well.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Phi230 posted:

When I took out my old samurai collection from storage for rebasing and reorganisation, I went over all of them to clean up chipping and stuff, and also to tidy up some details.

E: a good start, if you want to play with painted minis in a new scale or period, is to just block paint all the basic colors until you have a playable force. Then you start to use them, and go back to do stuff like washes and highlights later on. I did that for one of our German WW2 platoons, when we wanted to play a big bash and didn't have three playable platoons.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Phi230 posted:

All the time.

In fact, looking at that photo, above, makes me want to re-do those whole drat armies. My techniques have changed quite a bit since I painted them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Has anything more come out regarding the BKC3 corrections?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

moths posted:

Has anything more come out regarding the BKC3 corrections?

They're saying August so my bet would be November.

It's been allmost a year already. I had been under the impression the corrections weren't huge, but obviosly they're big enough to take a year to do.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yikes. I thought it was cool that we'll get free copies of the corrected edition though, so I can't really complain.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Might mean I have armies painted by the time they send it out.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Phi230 posted:

I don't paint them to begin with, so it's never a problem :v:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

I keep discovering details I've skipped, like brass shako plates or highlights on bayonets. I just can't be bothered to go back and fix it :effort:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just asking because I feel like I paint faces, skin and highlights poorly

Also I think I did a bad job on my hinds

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Finished painting the band of brothers starter set:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Phi230 posted:

I'll be patching up chipped italian paras for a game on Saturday.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
How cost effective would it be to 3D print mini's. Getting my own printer vs finding a shop that does 3d printing?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Raenir Salazar posted:

How cost effective would it be to 3D print mini's. Getting my own printer vs finding a shop that does 3d printing?
The technology's not quite ready for prime-time yet, especially not for mass production. Extrusion-based printers still leave layer-application artifacts (that be removed if you're cool with boiling acetone in your house) which become increasingly problematic as your scale gets smaller, and stereolithographers are still very expensive. If you're going to use 3D printing for anything, use it to make masters that you then make molds from to cast with resin. Or just 3D print the mold masters themselves. ;)

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

First Time Caller posted:

Finished painting the band of brothers starter set:

theze are dope

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What ranges do people recommend for 15mm or 6mm Cold War guys? I know of Battlefronts (overpriced) stuff.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Flipswitch posted:

What ranges do people recommend for 15mm or 6mm Cold War guys? I know of Battlefronts (overpriced) stuff.

Plastic Soldier Company and Zvedza

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
GHQ for 6mm

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cheers, do PSC only have a small range? My LGS doesn't stock Zvezda at all. Will look into GHQ, cheers mate!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Psc are building their range with regular releases.

Zvezda have a few modern kits, but haven't released any more for a while.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Does What a Tanker have a release date for the PDF?

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Yesterday or the day before that. I got my copy already

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Wait, PDF? I only see the physical copy on their website. I ordered that already, but a PDF would be great while I wait for the physical copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
GHQ are pretty but expensive, I go with Heroics & Ros which is dirt cheap and acceptably good.