Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Started working on updating the OP knowing that Victorinox hasn't been nearly as good of a bargain for years, but all of a sudden Tojiro knives doubled in price too? :psyduck: What're the good budget knives to get now?
US$20 Chinese cleavers. Forget the CCK from ck2g for US$80, just get a functionally-identical SBZ S210, or whatever, for less than US$25, shipped, from China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/cklikngy21.html

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Any recommendations for an oil mister? Sick of the canned stuff.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009

Croatoan posted:

Question. I have an Apex knife sharpening kit. When sharpening my boning knife it's really annoying because the white plastic bit that holds the knife is too high and hits the stone because the blade depth is so shallow. Any workarounds for holding it fast yet out by an inch or two more?

The white plastic is removable. Just slide it off horizontally. Also; magnets, drill stops, and angle guides are legit.

~5$ cheaper if you don't want the honing steel guides
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4VBR3W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can probably but all this crap combined for cheaper going to hardware stores and shopping online, but it is at least convenient.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/edproesacpa.html

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Budge knifechat, I got a Misen chef knife back from when they had their original Kickstarter and it's been my workhorse ever since. Really holds an edge well, and they're about $65.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This Kolorid 8" is the most pleasant to use chef's knife I've ever used. Love it to death and the price is amazing too.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

odinson posted:

The white plastic is removable. Just slide it off horizontally.

:doh:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ugh I keep getting errors when I try to update the OP. Might just start a new thread.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I hear they're fixing the forums, so it should work soon.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Does anyone have the Pyrex 8 cup measuring cup, and does it drip? I have the Anchor Hocking one and I’m sick of it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Does anyone have the Pyrex 8 cup measuring cup, and does it drip? I have the Anchor Hocking one and I’m sick of it.

Yes, and I mean it can, but it’s not really a problem. Mine may also be older than these forums, so ymmv.
It’s great and I don’t remember cooking without it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Is there any place (online or brick and mortar) that runs discounts on Staub stuff from time to time?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Henckels outlet stores are doing a 50% off staub cookware thing right now, you can get a 7qt Dutch oven for $180

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I'm looking for the 13x9 baking dish. I'm fine with paying the $70 they seem to be most places, but I don't want to pass up a deal if they regularly dip below that, either.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

An amazing garlic press on sale here. I paid ~$40, and it was worth it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

Why not just microplane it? That’s how I do 80% of my garlic these days.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

obi_ant posted:

I paid about $60 for this excellent garlic press, but it more than makes up for the difference in price with additional utility

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I got a garlic press on clearance from Sur la Table with a $20 gift card and I actually find it pretty handy as far as over-specialized crap goes. :shobon:

e: it was actually this OXO with the tags removed, so I guess I got it for the actual price.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 9, 2018

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

How necessary/useful are multiple speed settings on a food-use blender?

Any recommendations/things to watch out for in portable induction plates?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HookedOnChthonics posted:

How necessary/useful are multiple speed settings on a food-use blender?

Any recommendations/things to watch out for in portable induction plates?

On a Vitamix, if you start with it on the highest setting it will shoot your food out the top with great vigor. So you need to start it low then ramp it up. Beyond that, specific settings like blend and frappe and liquify are kind of bullshit. I like the speed knob on the vitamix, that you then follow with the turbo switch (which I wish were under one of those flip up protectors because it would be badass).

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I like the speed knob on the vitamix, that you then follow with the turbo switch (which I wish were under one of those flip up protectors because it would be badass).
Got you covered, buddy. Please take a picture when done tia.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The red one is pretty cool but I think what FGR is looking for is one with yellow and black diagonal stripes with the words WARNING underneath

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Specifically I was looking at the Oster Beehive blender. I've used one a bunch at work and am confident it can essentially do what I think I want, plus build quality seems good and the aesthetics are A+. I'm just wondering if multiple speeds are enough of a value-add to a blender that I might want to make a different choice.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Specifically I was looking at the Oster Beehive blender. I've used one a bunch at work and am confident it can essentially do what I think I want, plus build quality seems good and the aesthetics are A+. I'm just wondering if multiple speeds are enough of a value-add to a blender that I might want to make a different choice.

It's cheap and you're interested in it. Just go for it.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
I just picked up the Oster pro 500 for $11 on clearance at Walmart. Enter your zip and see if it's available near you. Seems to be good blending cheese and eggs together.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=188323565

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Tried to zest a lemon today. My zester is probably the crappiest one ever made on the west coast. Any suggestions for a grater / zester?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I use a microplane, op

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

fart simpson posted:

Everyone uses a microplane, op

It’s true.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

fart simpson posted:

I use a microplane, op

Same

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Huh. My callous remover is from microplane. How about that. It works great by the way.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

bamhand posted:

Huh. My callous remover zester is from microplane. How about that. It works great by the way.

You know how some people say parmigiano tastes like feet? Well, Kraft is making a killing harvesting old people's foot scrapings.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Grey Thermapens Mk4 are $74.25.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4?quantity=1&color=1

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m keen to get a mortar and pestle to grind my own spices. Any recommendations on size and material? I assume a mortar and pestle is a better investment than a spice grinder?

Noting I don’t have a huge amount of bench space.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You’ll get a lot more use out of a mortar and pestle IMO. An electric spice grinder is awesome to have though because it can get stuff to a fineness very quickly that you can’t get with a mortar and pestle (without a lot of time and muscle, at least).

Although electric spice grinder sometimes struggle with smaller amounts of spices, which isn’t a problem with an m&p

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

I’m keen to get a mortar and pestle to grind my own spices. Any recommendations on size and material? I assume a mortar and pestle is a better investment than a spice grinder?

Size = Whatever is a resonable size for you and whoever you live with to be able to move by yourself.

Material= I like my granite one.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

I get a lot of mileage on my mortal and pestle. For material I really like granite. The rough inner texture helps with the grinding and it's robust enough to take a pounding. I'd never use porcelain for fear it'll crack and wood is too slick and light for my tastes.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Red_Fred posted:

I generally agree with others in this thread but style-wise I'd recommend a granite molcajete - unlike the deep-bowled traditional mortars, the wide shallow circular bowl lets you basically rotate the pestle in a circular motion to efficiently grind dry spices.

It's definitely not as good at pounding a bunch of fibrous stuff where a deeper bowl is preferable (like smashing up lemongrass and ginger and such for a thai dish) but in my experience it's a lot better for spices/grain/etc.

eke out fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 14, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah I love my molcajete.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It's marble instead of granite, but Ikea makes the Ädelsten, which can be flipped over for a shallower molcajete-type tool.

It's not as good as the real version of either, but its pretty good, and CHEAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

bamhand posted:

Huh. My callous remover is from microplane. How about that. It works great by the way.

Double Huh. Weird coincidence, just this past Sunday our chef came in with his own Microplane, and a co-worker who had never seen one instantly joked "sheee-it, I bet this would be great at getting callouses off my feet!"

Is it really a Microplane branded thing, or MP just makes the blade?