Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

worked great for Papa Johns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

that guy's twitter is great because he prefaces half his tweets with "i'm a doctor" so you get things like "as a physician i understand when you get shot with bullets it's bad"

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

my girlfriend degree

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Sb nation still employs Mr Jon tho so it's okay because anybody who gives him money to do wild poo poo is cool
he and grant brisbee own a lot
more like Dr. Gu Gu Ga Ga. because he's a big stupid baby

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Pathetic

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

get that OUT of my face posted:

he and grant brisbee own a lot

more like Dr. Gu Gu Ga Ga. because he's a big stupid baby

i wish mr jon was my dad

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/MerriamWebster/status/979435727376277504

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty much every clinical term used to refer to the mentally disabled ends up appropriated as an insult. The problem is that bigotry against the disabled isn't seen as an overt, systemic thing like sexism and racism, so you never really know how people honestly feel about the disabled until you have an opportunity to witness it, and it's often surprising and horrific. Able-bodied and neurotypical people rail about 'ableism' almost entirely as an excuse to be mad when sexism and racism won't cut it, and almost never for actual examples of discrimination against the disabled.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if you want to rail against ableism, stop language policing and start making noise about the "Autism Registry" that the minnesota legislature wants to establish

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 06:21 on Mar 31, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Inescapable Duck posted:

Pretty much every clinical term used to refer to the mentally disabled ends up appropriated as an insult. The problem is that bigotry against the disabled isn't seen as an overt, systemic thing like sexism and racism, so you never really know how people honestly feel about the disabled until you have an opportunity to witness it, and it's often surprising and horrific. Able-bodied and neurotypical people rail about 'ableism' almost entirely as an excuse to be mad when sexism and racism won't cut it, and almost never for actual examples of discrimination against the disabled.

My general take as someone who is spectrum as hell is that we shouldn't call people retarded or whatever but also words like idiot or lame or dumb are so far removed from their original meaning that if you get wound about it you're a retard

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 218 days!
I'm hesitant to accept the idea that something having been a medical term at some point automatically makes it offensive. Like, moron was used for about a decade in the early 20th Century for patients whose mental disability was considered to have halted their development at around the ages 7-9. It was chosen due to being Greek for "fool," and oddly the word oxymoron is several centuries older in English use. It also corresponds to no specific condition and is completely obsolete as a medical term.

Likewise, idiot was used in around the 14th century in legal, rather than medical terminology, to denote someone born with a mental disability, as opposed to lunatic, which meant someone who was considered to have acquired one in the course of their lives. It derives from Greek as well, meaning "ordinary" and later, "uneducated person." In the early 20th Century it was used briefly to denote serious mental disability, from the same system of classification by mental age which coined this use of "moron." In this case however, the authors of that system were just utilizing an English word also used in a more general sense by, for example, Shakespeare.

The very same system shifted the meaning of "imbecile" from a physical to mental disability.

The dishonesty of saying that these terms may be offensive because they were used as part of an obsolete system of classification which was not of diagnostic utility makes me rather choleric; I hope no posters have conditions which may at one time have been diagnosed according to the system of the four humours, lest I give offense with this term!

By way of contrast, stupor is a current medical term, which implies that the word "stupid" is far more offensive than any of these.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 07:23 on Mar 31, 2018

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 218 days!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

My general take as someone who is spectrum as hell is that we shouldn't call people retarded or whatever but also words like idiot or lame or dumb are so far removed from their original meaning that if you get wound about it you're a retard

my friend allow me to introduce you to the brilliant word "fucktard"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hodgepodge posted:

Yeah that totally is different from saying retard, you got it

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

y'all fuckin suck lol

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Saying something sucks or blows is homophobic and mysoginist btw

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

paul_soccer10 posted:

shove it up your rear end

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Whenever you are using an insult, people getting offended is kind of the point.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I get in close and whisper my insults to minimize the collateral offensive damage if a literal dumb person happens to be nearby

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
everyone has a mouth and rear end

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

And that's why I shout the n word at people all the time

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

everyone has a mouth and rear end

Not Steve Scalise lol

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

Now I'm hangry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR7ryg1w_IQ

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hodgepodge posted:

That's a contraction of 'loving retard' and I'm having you purged from the DSA for using it

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 218 days!

Crane Fist posted:

That's a contraction of 'loving retard' and I'm having you purged from the DSA for using it

i can't believe i was lead astray by the failure to include an apostrophe to indicate a contraction in a swear word

those gently caress'tards :argh:

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

ajkalan posted:

Not Steve Scalise lol

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

ajkalan posted:

Not Steve Scalise lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

paul_soccer10 posted:

"Blow it out your rear end" is unproblematic because because everyone has an rear end and can blow stuff out of it

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jeb! Repetition posted:

"Blow it out your rear end" is unproblematic because because everyone has an rear end and can blow stuff out of it

Way to marginalize and erase Steve Scalise.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

so The Simpsons apparently decided to do an episode in response to that Hari Kondabolu film and people are not liking it

https://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2018/04/09/600794630/the-simpsons-to-the-problem-with-apu-drop-dead

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/harikondabolu/status/983362459162390529

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I can think of dozens of responses to Hari's obsession with Apu that are way less preachy and unfunny than what the Simpsons went with, but of course they went with a Lisa story.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Just cancel the drat show it should have died years ago

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
i just fukkin love brands

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
*brands TRUMP on dilz*

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Blue Train posted:

Just cancel the drat show it should have died years ago

Also:

https://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2018/04/09/600794630/the-simpsons-to-the-problem-with-apu-drop-dead posted:

After Marge asks what she's supposed to do, Lisa — Lisa! — looks directly at the camera. "It's hard to say," she says. "Something that started decades ago and was applauded and inoffensive is now politically incorrect. What can you do?" And she looks at a framed photo next to her bed of Apu, which is signed, "Don't have a cow. Apu." Marge puts a hand on her shoulder. "Some things will be dealt with at a later date." "If at all," Lisa responds. Both look blankly at the audience.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I just wish the Simpsons would have been more directly irreverent. This wink-wink, nudge-nudge response is dumb. Just say loudly and proudly, that you don't give a gently caress what people think about Apu. It's much better for media in general.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hm yes

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

they should have just hired a south asian person to be the new voice actor and then done some throwaway joke about how apu's voice has changed. or they should have cancelled the simpsons years ago

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

MrWilderheap posted:

they should have cancelled the simpsons years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

:salt: