Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Having played d&d but never DM’d it, my impression is that it’s a choose your own adventure where the reader insists on turning to pages that you didn’t think to write yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah, it's basically improv except every other person doing improv with you is trying to wrest control away from you and push the story to a point where it doesn't make sense at all times

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ainsley McTree posted:

Having played d&d but never DM’d it, my impression is that it’s a choose your own adventure where the reader insists on turning to pages that you didn’t think to write yet

pretty much yea. It's a CYOA book where every few pages a reader hastily scrawls in his own page and goes "THAT ONE" or tears the book in half but still expects an ending. In that way Dragon Friends is really the best real D&D campaign experience while TAZ is more like a very good radio play with interactivity.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I once had a party be told explicitly several times that in no uncertain terms, they were going to loving die if they fought a dragon, and that they should instead come up with an alternate method to get the MacGuffin.

They then immediately all got knocked out by this super powerful dragon, save a mage with almost no hitpoints left who somehow rolled six(!) natural 20s in a row and thus managed to jump on the dragon, climb up onto the back of its head, and stab it repeatedly in the eyes/brain with his magic dagger. This derailed the entire planned quest into them trying to figure out how they were going to get thousands of pounds of loot moved down a mountain without locals or other dragons realizing the horde was undefended, save for 4 low-level adventurers.

So yeah, D&D campaigns are just an exercise in the DM figuring out how he or she is going to deal with the insanity the players have wrought. There are some groups, however, that establish ahead of time a kind of ground rule against players just chucking an entire obvious quest/plotline out the window.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

mlmp08 posted:

They then immediately all got knocked out by this super powerful dragon, save a mage with almost no hitpoints left who somehow rolled six(!) natural 20s in a row and thus managed to jump on the dragon, climb up onto the back of its head, and stab it repeatedly in the eyes/brain with his magic dagger. This derailed the entire planned quest into them trying to figure out how they were going to get thousands of pounds of loot moved down a mountain without locals or other dragons realizing the horde was undefended, save for 4 low-level adventurers.

Wasn't this the third Hobbit movie?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I mean I get that Balance is a little more railroaded than typical dnd campaigns, but that just makes it a variation on the same medium, not any better or worse. And the story that was told (which I’m starting the final episode of right now) seems to have benefitted from that.

I don’t think Balance and its success can be replicated, but I don’t think that’s a problem. That’s just how it is.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So I'm going to the Dallas live show of MBMBaM this weekend, and I was wondering if you can submit questions early. I thought there was a way to do that, or is everything now picked out live from the crowd?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They do normal questions for the first half and those are usually early submissions from audience members. Just put Dallas Live Show in the subject line and they'll know.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Before the live show I went to griffin asked for q’s and Yahoo!’s on Twitter and gave an email address to submit to; I think it’s just the show’s normal address, mbmbam@maxfun or whatever, it’s probably on the website

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
A big part of TAZ is that the DM has his story written, and the players are willing to buy in to it, and to a certain extent bend their characters to go along with it. There's nothing wrong with this, but D&D rarely works like this.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

a lot of people get hung up on the idea that Clint and the boys don't like it when Griffin railroads stuff or focuses super hard on this story he's written. This is obviously not the case, as they've stated.

I just don't think it makes for fun listening, and I'm not going to write some weird fanfic about how Griffin hates his brothers and dad to justify that.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Jesus Christ you goons it was a loving joke, get a grip. I don't honestly think Griffin frets over his popularity or public image from a role playing podcast.

I really don't understand how the joke was missed but here we are

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/MattfDoyle/status/983042193064644609

Is that...?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Jesus Christ you goons it was a loving joke, get a grip. I don't honestly think Griffin frets over his popularity or public image from a role playing podcast.

I really don't understand how the joke was missed but here we are

The same opinion has been said unironically in this thread and online a number of times.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah, apparently it's common enough that they felt the need to address it in the latest TTAZZ. That's pretty funny honestly. When someone here unironically expresses the belief that one of the brothers is the secret leader of the rest, they tend to be ridiculed. In any case, it led to the interesting revelation that Justin was, in fact, pushing pretty hard to have Griffin DM TAZ season 2. Apparently he feels the rest of them aren't ready. Frankly, if the last fours years didn't do the trick in that regard, I'm not sure what will. Ah, what do I know?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, DMing is quite different from playing. It requires a different set of skills.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yes, and Griffin has a very particular set of skills that make him a nightmare for people like Justin, Travis, and Clint.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/983126165094354946

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Ariong posted:

Yeah, apparently it's common enough that they felt the need to address it in the latest TTAZZ. That's pretty funny honestly. When someone here unironically expresses the belief that one of the brothers is the secret leader of the rest, they tend to be ridiculed. In any case, it led to the interesting revelation that Justin was, in fact, pushing pretty hard to have Griffin DM TAZ season 2. Apparently he feels the rest of them aren't ready. Frankly, if the last fours years didn't do the trick in that regard, I'm not sure what will. Ah, what do I know?

I think Justin was more saying Griffin DMing again is the first time it felt like TAZ for a while, and started pushing for Amnesty immediately. Then Griffin said Dust felt pretty good too, but Travis said he couldn't keep it up for a full season. Which seems like a pretty easy choice by that point, even if the fan reaction was split.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I've been working my way up through the MBMBaM back catalog and I just reached the Totino's episode, and it's certainly something. Come hot on the heels of Episode 259's "gently caress it, no questions this time" this was definitely an interesting era of the show.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finished Balance.

What a fuckin’ ride. Lots of awesome characters, hilarious moments, and a gripping story that had me hooked. I’m a big fan of TAZ now, and I can’t wait to dive into their recent one-shots.

Since it’s relevant to me, I really really like Lup. I know some people get mad cuz they figure she’s Taako 2.0, but she’s significantly distinct from her brother and has one of the more tragic post-century backstories - getting stuck in an umbrella for 10 years sounds hellish. And yet she’s as hilarious and awesome as ever when she comes back. :allears: I might be biased just I’m also a trans woman, but she’s genuinely cool and I don’t get why people are so skeptical of her. Speaking of, she was very very well handled because her being trans was basically just a footnote in her backstory and not a central part of her character, and I find that leads to much better balanced and more fascinating characters.

I really want to play Dungeon World now...maybe try GMing. But I wouldn’t be anywhere near as good as Griffin :(

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 9, 2018

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I'm phoneposting so someone else please link a bunch of the really good spoileriffic animatics and music videos for Pollyanna.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Not Operator posted:

I'm phoneposting so someone else please link a bunch of the really good spoileriffic animatics and music videos for Pollyanna.

Here’s a top tier Lup centric video

https://youtu.be/cRrSWU0P0RI

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
The only thing I didn't like of Lup was that the name was not short for Chyalupa or something intentionally mis-spelled in keeping with Justin's dumb goof of 'name is Taako cause idgaf'

That aside the character was cool

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
In the past week I've been blowing through Amnesty and I'm nearly finished with Commitment.

Man, I've liked all of these mini arcs.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Democratic Pirate posted:

Here’s a top tier Lup centric video

https://youtu.be/cRrSWU0P0RI
I love that one, but I think this one is my favorite (and one of the most spoiler-full ones out there; not particularly Lup-centric tho):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao-mxiLCxdk

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

At work but I’ll def take a look at these when I get home :)

I like to think that Griffin just misunderstood the name “Lupe”. :v:

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

The newest MBMBAM has Griffin do an impression of Clint that is so spot on it rattles Justin. A+ episode.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Jon Irenicus posted:

The newest MBMBAM has Griffin do an impression of Clint that is so spot on it rattles Justin. A+ episode.

agreed. great episode all round

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does TAZ ever do Dungeon World? That’s the most impressive of all the tabletop RPGs I’ve seen, and I think it’d be a real good fit for them judging by how they interact.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Nope. They try out Fate, Monster of the Week, and Urban Shadows. For season 2, they’re sticking with number 2.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

I don't know if it was even mentioned, but what the heck was Elementary? Was it a full system or just some cobbled together nonsense someone on twitter sent them?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
https://reddit.com/r/TheAdventureZone/comments/89dsag/i_wrote_four_sherlock_holmes_and_a_vampire_ama/

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's a single-session party game, like werewolf or mafia.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I loved that in Elementary it had no bearing on the story at all that Travis ended up being the vampire. Like, they figured it out and just moved on.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Colonel Whitey posted:

I loved that in Elementary it had no bearing on the story at all that Travis ended up being the vampire. Like, they figured it out and just moved on.

aha, apparently that's written into the rules. Also if more than one person is a vampire, you'll never find out, because as soon as you uncover one vampire you have to immediately stop talking about it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The vampire is required to solve the mystery if discovered, so it does have a gameplay function in that you get burdened with solving all the ridiculous clues.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not Operator posted:

you lazy fuckers I gave you one job

*BALANCE SPOILERS*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=temd3Sy-0Fk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQVwjPbEZbM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpovejRZWSs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1A0pHzXUYw

e: I guess you can't spoiler tag youtube embeds? Eh, doesn't matter.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Not Operator posted:

I don't know if it was even mentioned, but what the heck was Elementary?

extremely good is what it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
despite whatever misgivings you may have about jessie thorn or whatever, elementary is absolutely worth the 2 bucks minimum it requires and more