Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the Dread from Black Reach. I think I have like 4 of them.

Yeah that's what I assume where its coming from as well.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Pretty good job IMO, but yeah definitely get a bigger brush or an airbrush or the Rhino is going to drive you insane.

Been meaning to buy a couple of new ones from Rosemary & Co so I'll have to see if they have anything suitable for tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Artum posted:

Cross post

I should have him ready for wednesday, just a shame my opponent traded away his army for another one.

Dude, great job going into the armor and adding the blue highlights. I gave up on that at a certain point, because it is almost unnoticeable at most times.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

S.J. posted:

Anyone have experience using isopropyl alcohol to strip plastic minis?
e: and/or to dissolve glue bonds safely

Still curious about this. Will probably dunk an Ork boy as a sacrifice/practice model but I'd love to hear any anecdotes.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

S.J. posted:

Still curious about this. Will probably dunk an Ork boy as a sacrifice/practice model but I'd love to hear any anecdotes.

Worked fine for me. Dunk for a few minutes, scrub, repeat till it's all off.

Just don't take a resin model and leave it overnight in that stuff.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
So about a year after a friend of mine and I egged eachother into getting back on the plastic crack, we finally got together for a 1000 point game of table-hammer, just in time for me to try out the new DE codex against his Primaris, and it was a lot of fun!

My army was:
Archon, Succubus, Haemonculus,
1 unit each of wyches (in raider), kabalites, wracks (in venom)
1 unit of reavers
1 unit of hellions
1 unit of scourges with dark lances

He had:
Pedro and a lieutenant,
hellblasters,
inceptors,
intercessors.
a redemptor

Some thoughts:

He got first turn and I learned some serious lessons about leaving anything visible after deployment at all when my hellions and kabalites were summarily wiped off the table. This began a theme of him aceing every single roll for number of shots for any weapon (the redemptor has a lot of guns!).

Wyches are excellent, though deep striking them in a raider felt like it took ages to get them into action. Once there though they managed to keep Pedro, the lieutenant (which they killed), a unit of intercessors, and the redemptor occupied for quite a while, with the hekatrix actually managing to whip Pedro to death (she's getting a trophy).

Haemonculi honestly feel more useful in combat than succubi, just going off the 4+ invulvn for prophets of flesh let him eat several rounds of being punched in the face by pedro and a dread for no damage. Succubus lasted surprisingly long but the -1 to hit with the glaive on only 4 attacks is brutal. Looking now the Blood Glaive relic seems like an obvious choice for her next time. Archon with blaster felt suitably fluffy as he casually disintegrated 1 model per turn, but didn't get a whole lot else done (shadowfield failed on the first save of course).

Adv+charge on red grief cult units is absolutely great, Reavers flying 28" a turn and being able to drop mortal wounds on anything they fly over for 1CP, then charging with grav talons for further mortal wounds, is a load of fun (maybe not optimal but I liked that I could fit 6 with 2 blasters in to a 1000 point list).

Finally I learned an important lesson about random damage on anti-tank weapons. Apparently my scourges really weren't feeling it and did a grand total of 4 damage to the redemptor all game, which was key to my opponent being able to continuously wipe my units after he got it out of the wych tarpit.

Didn't really keep track of points but he pretty convincingly won it with a 10 wound redemptor and 2 intercessors stomping around to my 3 wyches and a hekatrix, didn't feel like I had been properly crushed right up until we called it though, so it was good all the way.

Kabalites are going in the raider next time I think, and the hellions might be getting dropped to add some wyches and just deepstrike a blob of 20 out of a webway portal.

May put some pretty poor photos up later.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
My new ebay-sourced AdMech army isn't off to the best start. Received my first squad & Dominus on Friday but instead of 3 unique Skitarii sprues, 1 of them was duplicated. So I don't have any arquebus, onnispex or data-tether bits, but did get double plasma / arc rifles. The other order had 2 squads and a tech-priest, but it still doesn't show as shipped after a week and the seller isn't replying to messages. I was hoping to get everything assembled and primed before my work trip next week so I have stuff to paint in the hotel.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

Dude, great job going into the armor and adding the blue highlights. I gave up on that at a certain point, because it is almost unnoticeable at most times.

I've still got to tidy them up and apply fenrisian grey point highlights. :smithicide:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Mango Polo posted:

Worked fine for me. Dunk for a few minutes, scrub, repeat till it's all off.

Just don't take a resin model and leave it overnight in that stuff.

Cool. My plan was to just let a plastic dude dunk for 24 hours and see how much paint sloughed off and if the glue bonds dissolved. Just picked a bunch of stuff up second hand and I'd rather disassemble them to clean them up if I can.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

S.J. posted:

Cool. My plan was to just let a plastic dude dunk for 24 hours and see how much paint sloughed off and if the glue bonds dissolved. Just picked a bunch of stuff up second hand and I'd rather disassemble them to clean them up if I can.

FYI leaving my FW resin in the stuff for 24 hours resulted in the resin becoming so weak that the model collapsed in a quasi-molten manner.

I don't know how plastic will react though.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Corrode posted:

Mr M. Polo I'm not sure if you know this but that is, in fact, the troll account 'Games Werkshop' and not the official account of Games Workshop plc. I hope this helps your confusion.

its a tough call figuring out whats more funny when a games werkshop tweet is posted; people thinking its real, or people thinking mango polos response to the tweet is earnest

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Mango Polo posted:

FYI leaving my FW resin in the stuff for 24 hours resulted in the resin becoming so weak that the model collapsed in a quasi-molten manner.

I don't know how plastic will react though.

Yeah for resin I'll just be either doing a very quick bath or just using something else completely.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

its a tough call figuring out whats more funny when a games werkshop tweet is posted; people thinking its real, or people thinking mango polos response to the tweet is earnest

ikr, it's like the 5th time he's either posted it or responded to it and people are still going "fyi that's not the real account." I know he's lost the old av but come on people, basic pattern recognition.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

ikr, it's like the 5th time he's either posted it or responded to it and people are still going "fyi that's not the real account." I know he's lost the old av but come on people, basic pattern recognition.

Corrode posted:

Mr M. Polo I'm not sure if you know this but that is, in fact, the troll account 'Games Werkshop' and not the official account of Games Workshop plc. I hope this helps your confusion.
:thunk:

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please do not make fun of Mango Polo and his addled brain. TIA.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Idgi

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
I am torn between two lists for Tides of War (1500 pts, Maelstrom missions) advise me thread:

List 1:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [72 PL, 1232pts] ++
+ No Force Org Slot +
Craftworld Attribute: Biel-Tan: Swordwind

+ HQ +
Farseer [6 PL, 100pts]: 1. Guide, 2. Doom, Biel-Tan: Natural Leader, Faolchu's Wing, Shuriken Pistol, Warlord, Witchblade

Spiritseer [3 PL, 45pts]: 4. Protect/Jinx, Shuriken Pistol

+ Troops +
Dire Avengers [3 PL, 64pts]
. 4x Dire Avenger: 4x Avenger Shuriken Catapult
. Dire Avenger Exarch: Two Avenger Shuriken Catapults

Guardian Defenders [9 PL, 111pts]: 12x Guardian Defender
. Guardian Heavy Weapons Platform: Shuriken Cannon

Rangers [3 PL, 60pts]: 5x Ranger

Storm Guardians [3 PL, 56pts]: 8x Storm Guardian - Aeldari Blade

+ Elites +
Wraithguard [11 PL, 200pts]: Wraithcannon, 5x Wraithguard

+ Heavy Support +
Dark Reapers [7 PL, 135pts]
. 4x Dark Reaper: 4x Reaper Launcher
. Dark Reaper Exarch: Reaper Launcher

+ Flyer +
Crimson Hunter Exarch [9 PL, 175pts]: Two Bright Lances

+ Dedicated Transport +
Wave Serpent [9 PL, 134pts]: Shuriken Cannon, Twin Shuriken Cannon

Wave Serpent [9 PL, 152pts]: Twin Bright Lance, Twin Shuriken Catapult

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [13 PL, 266pts] ++
+ No Force Org Slot +
Craftworld Attribute: Biel-Tan: Swordwind

+ HQ +
Warlock [2 PL, 35pts]: 5. Quicken/Restrain, Shuriken Pistol, Witchblade

+ Fast Attack +
Shining Spears [5 PL, 95pts]
. 2x Shining Spear: 2x Laser Lance, 2x Twin Shuriken Catapult
. Shining Spear Exarch: Star Lance, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Swooping Hawks [3 PL, 68pts]
. 4x Swooping Hawk: 4x Lasblaster
. Swooping Hawk Exarch: Hawk's Talon

Swooping Hawks [3 PL, 68pts]
. 4x Swooping Hawk: 4x Lasblaster
. Swooping Hawk Exarch: Hawk's Talon

++ Total: [85 PL, 1498pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

List 2:

As above, minus the wraithguard and plus:

+ Troops +
Dire Avengers [3 PL, 64pts]
. 4x Dire Avenger: 4x Avenger Shuriken Catapult
. Dire Avenger Exarch: Two Avenger Shuriken Catapults

+ Elites +
Bonesinger [4 PL, 70pts]

Howling Banshees [3 PL, 68pts]
. 4x Howling Banshee: 4x Power Sword
. Howling Banshee Exarch: Shuriken Pistol & Executioner

...with the bonesinger taking the warlord trait.

Advantages of list A:
I get to take my wraithguard out, who don’t get to come out to play as much as they should.
Adds some anti tank punch.
Increases saturation of high toughness targets.

Disadvantages of list A:
Has the standard Biel Tan issue of your warlord trait wanting to have the warlord sitting in the back line, but all the powers wanting your warlord to be mobile.
Fewer ways to tie things up in melee.

Advantages of list B:
Gets around the warlord problem with the bonesinger.
More diverse threats
Sometimes five banshees will just immediately win you the game against a careless player.

Disadvantages of list B:
Cost inefficiency of bonesinger harder to justify compared to my 2k list where he also fills a brigade slot.
No cool handsome ghost bots.

Having worked it out I realise I should also potentially chop out a single guardian in list 1 in favour of upgrades for the lance serpent, because it would give me the option of starting the unit of 12 in a wave serpent in a game where I wanted to deep strike the wraithguard instead.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

One_Wing posted:

Having worked it out I realise I should also potentially chop out a single guardian in list 1 in favour of upgrades for the lance serpent, because it would give me the option of starting the unit of 12 in a wave serpent in a game where I wanted to deep strike the wraithguard instead.

That's what I was going to say - other than that, I'm not sure what the intended use of the Shining Spears are and I suspect you'd be better served with a unit of Windriders + extras. On the one hand, they're small enough to not warrant a lot of fire from your opponent. On the other, they're not that effective as such a small group and will probably struggle to pay back their points or noticeably shift your opponents behavior.

I realize they don't necessarily need to pay their points back in order to be incredibly valuable (I lost a 210 point unit of Spears after killing ~70 points of guardsmen) but they were the most valuable part of my game because it caused nearly all 2000 points of my opponents army to retract on itself in order to deal with that threat which allowed me to win the positioning game. I don't see that happening from 3.

Boon fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 9, 2018

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

u fell for fakeposting

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
posting is a fake idea

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

TheChirurgeon posted:

posting is a fake idea

The internet is fake. We are fake. All that is real is plastic and resin.

I'm gay.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheChirurgeon posted:

posting is a fake idea

fake news

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
A rich lasagna of ironic fakeposts and unironic ironic real fakeposts

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
So speaking of good sculpts, new releases, and Dark Eldar, someone over on RPGnet just pointed out that the blind Idoneth Deepkin troops guys up for preorder next week in Age of Sigmar land would make great counts-as Mandrakes.

(Albeit bizarro-Mandrakes with mouths and no eyes rather than the reverse....)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Stephenls posted:

So speaking of good sculpts, new releases, and Dark Eldar, someone over on RPGnet just pointed out that the blind Idoneth Deepkin troops guys up for preorder next week in Age of Sigmar land would make great counts-as Mandrakes.

Plus the new paints could make for an interesting Wrack fleshtone

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
I thought about buying a second raider and then realised that I am absolutely putting a dark Lance and some spikes on a flying turtle and calling it a raider.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
If the new paints make for as good a warm off-white as Uthuan Grey does a cool one, I am on board.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I use Pallid Wych Flesh for my warm off-white.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

FiestaNinja posted:

I thought about buying a second raider and then realised that I am absolutely putting a dark Lance and some spikes on a flying turtle and calling it a raider.
This. This is what the hobby is about.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Just ruined a squad of hellblasters. Home depot here didn't have any krylon primers, so I went with a rustoleum one. Sprayed that on the models and it's an awful runny liquid mess. Mid 50s and 56% humidity which is within the weather range the can suggests. Hope I can strip the primer from these guys, already too late to try to wash it off.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Boon posted:

That's what I was going to say - other than that, I'm not sure what the intended use of the Shining Spears are and I suspect you'd be better served with a unit of Windriders + extras. On the one hand, they're small enough to not warrant a lot of fire from your opponent. On the other, they're not that effective as such a small group and will probably struggle to pay back their points or noticeably shift your opponents behavior.

I realize they don't necessarily need to pay their points back in order to be incredibly valuable (I lost a 210 point unit of Spears after killing ~70 points of guardsmen) but they were the most valuable part of my game because it caused nearly all 2000 points of my opponents army to retract on itself in order to deal with that threat which allowed me to win the positioning game. I don't see that happening from 3.

I’ve only got the three shining spears, but you’d be surprised how effective a unit of three can be - I ran that unit in my last tournament and either they drew absurd overkill levels of shooting in T1 or my opponents came to regret not doing that. The exarch is a complete monster, and he’ll cheerfully solo a librarian or something that’s left out of position even if he’s the only one left.

They certainly become a “surgical” unit rather than a must kill monster blob, but I still think they’re worth it. They’re only 11 pts more than a unit of three shuriken cannon wind riders, which is what I have built, anyway.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

X-post

Hixson posted:

Most of you nerds have already seen these but heres some more guys I painted

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Think I saw those on your insta already but yeah they're loving sick. The torn-up flesh is so gross.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

Just ruined a squad of hellblasters. Home depot here didn't have any krylon primers, so I went with a rustoleum one. Sprayed that on the models and it's an awful runny liquid mess. Mid 50s and 56% humidity which is within the weather range the can suggests. Hope I can strip the primer from these guys, already too late to try to wash it off.

Simple Green and prayer.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

That is extremely grody, good show sir.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

chutche2 posted:

Put the can in a bath of warm water before you use it. It will make paints spray much better in cold weather.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

chutche2 posted:

If you’re in the states, Totally Awesome will work on rustoleum primer.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
https://twitter.com/GamesWerkshop/status/983324138214445056

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I see you skipped to the end ;)

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

OhDearGodNo posted:

If you’re in the states, Totally Awesome will work on rustoleum primer.

I'll check that out, thanks.

The primer has a weird glossy smooth finish to it I bet this would be awful to paint on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
still waiting on a twitter account for Games Twerkshop