Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

best of the bunch: all of em. the riga gold ones are great to leave a jar of in the fridge for individual fish cravings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Was there some dude selling sardine art made from sardine cans or was that some fish induced fever dream?

naem
May 29, 2011

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Relentless posted:

Was there some dude selling sardine art made from sardine cans or was that some fish induced fever dream?

Indeed there is:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779453

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

- spicy brunsick dines
- iceberg lettuce
- quartered tomatoes
- mushrooms
- chives
- cracked black pepper

u can use the oil from the tin to oil up the whole salad

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.
what are y'alls recommendations for the best and smokiest wood-smoked dines

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Hey cool dine dudes.
I got a flyer from Vitamin Cottage yesterday that says cans of Wild Planet sardines will be like a buck and a quarter on 4/20.. not sure if it’s ymmv but I guess keep an eye out or set a reminder on your phone so you don’t miss this dadass deal!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

good electric posted:

what are y'alls recommendations for the best and smokiest wood-smoked dines

Riga gold

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I'm going to South Florida for a long weekend in a couple of weeks and I really want to try some lionfish. Is it worth the effort and where should I go eat it?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

need to stock up on some 'dines tomorrow

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm going to South Florida for a long weekend in a couple of weeks and I really want to try some lionfish. Is it worth the effort and where should I go eat it?

I saw it in a high end grocery store in Virginia so it shouldn’t be too hard to source since you are where it will be harvested.
Personally I’d check an Asian food market with a live seafood department.

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.

my mans

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

gently caress. Just bought a new can of smoked sprats. I had never had any before, so I put them on toast, and they seemed good... But I was wussing out, and wanted them with hot sauce. Unfortunately, the bottle was clogged up and suddenly my sandwich was covered in the stuff, becoming inedible.

Rest in peace, uneaten dines.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

evilmiera posted:

gently caress. Just bought a new can of smoked sprats. I had never had any before, so I put them on toast, and they seemed good... But I was wussing out, and wanted them with hot sauce. Unfortunately, the bottle was clogged up and suddenly my sandwich was covered in the stuff, becoming inedible.

The proper solution would be to go buy more sprats and add them to your sandwich until the ratio became acceptable.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Yond Cassius posted:

The proper solution would be to go buy more sprats and add them to your sandwich until the ratio became acceptable.

correct

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Or scrape them off the bread, smoosh them up a little with some onions or shallots (maybe celery salt) and put them on a hoagie roll.

naem
May 29, 2011

You seem to be suggesting that there is such thing as too much hot sauce

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
There is a sweet spot where the heat and flavor is synchronized. Too much heat & you blow out your taste buds, lessening your ability to enjoy the subtle flavors a dish can have.

Honestly it’s why I like plain ‘dines over ones in hot sauce. I can add my own sauces to taste.

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

I got some sourdough starter and I'm gonna be baking my first loaf with it when I get home from work you'd best believe in gonna be eating all that delicious bread with sardines and their oil

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

evilmiera posted:

Add mashed avocado until a balance is reached.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Android Apocalypse posted:

There is a sweet spot where the heat and flavor is synchronized. Too much heat & you blow out your taste buds, lessening your ability to enjoy the subtle flavors a dish can have.

Honestly it’s why I like plain ‘dines over ones in hot sauce. I can add my own sauces to taste.
:same:
also we all gotta learn to control the hot spice flow on our own, this is one person's opportunity to do so. control your flow.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Inkfish posted:

I got some sourdough starter and I'm gonna be baking my first loaf with it when I get home from work you'd best believe in gonna be eating all that delicious bread with sardines and their oil

Hot drat, this guy has it figured out, folks. I use a bread machine to make basic bread, and most times I am ok with it, but there are those times where I push the little chromed out Start button and feel like I'm shorting myself.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Making bread yourself is pretty easy, especially if you have a stand mixer and dough hook to knead it.

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Or you could just mix all the bread poo poo together and let it get all tasty for 24 hours and then bake it in a turbo hot dutch oven. No need 2 knead

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Inkfish posted:

turbo hot dutch oven

is this what that means?

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

PhantomPayne posted:

Already done 'dinebro, get some olive oil 'dines, mix them with the mole and eat them on a hot tortilla. :krad:

Brunswick is one of the only "good" brands I've seen that are cheap here, so I agree with the above 'dinebro.

Bruns are from outside my hometown; my grandfather worked there.

Jalapeno Brunswicks are S tier; I like them in salad or eaten over the sink with a fork like a true dad. You don't think there's enough oil to cover the salad but if you're making a single-person sized salad it ends up being just right.
Their mustard sauce dines are ok but not the best mustard dines out there. I don't hate them and would never turn them down but I often find myself wishing the mustard was a bit more potent.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I bought a poo poo Subway salad and threw in some Med KOs. Now it's a fancy delicious salad. That's my story I hope you all enjoy your omegas today

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I bought a poo poo Subway salad and threw in some Med KOs. Now it's a fancy delicious salad. That's my story I hope you all enjoy your omegas today
yeah it takes a bit of convincing but if you can get your local subway sandwich artist to put your own sardines on the sandwich welcome to flavor town :discourse:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Decided to try the sprats again, this time using much weaker and thinner hot sauce. That just made the smoked sprats taste even saltier.

Plain seems to be the way to go with them, while untreated dines get the spices. Ate the rest of the can in one go.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Pickapeppa is great on smoked sprats, or good vinegar if you want something more subtle.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

2 tins of spiced mackerel on pre-made egg fried rice and a bunch of steamed (microwaved) spinach.

2 Minute Dad Meal

PhantomPayne
Aug 8, 2017

I should think before posting

indyrenegade posted:

Bruns are from outside my hometown; my grandfather worked there.

Jalapeno Brunswicks are S tier; I like them in salad or eaten over the sink with a fork like a true dad. You don't think there's enough oil to cover the salad but if you're making a single-person sized salad it ends up being just right.
Their mustard sauce dines are ok but not the best mustard dines out there. I don't hate them and would never turn them down but I often find myself wishing the mustard was a bit more potent.

That's pretty awesome, I bet your grandpa was a 'dine master, I'll try to eat a can in his honor tonight.

The only types of Bruns here are Jalapeño, Olive Oil, Soy Oil, and Tomato, and I'll agree that the Jalapeños are the best, I like 'em on toast with a bit of cream cheese spread and avocado slices. Sadly Amazon doesn't send food to where I live (yet), so I'll have to wait before I taste all the other Bruns flavors

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Bought some endives today. I like to use them instead of crackers for 'dines when I'm on a low carb kick. Looking forward to some fish for lunch.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

PhantomPayne posted:

That's pretty awesome, I bet your grandpa was a 'dine master, I'll try to eat a can in his honor tonight.

The only types of Bruns here are Jalapeño, Olive Oil, Soy Oil, and Tomato, and I'll agree that the Jalapeños are the best, I like 'em on toast with a bit of cream cheese spread and avocado slices. Sadly Amazon doesn't send food to where I live (yet), so I'll have to wait before I taste all the other Bruns flavors

Know that feeling. I'm unable to buy any KOs in my region of Canada, and it's fairly expensive to order them from Amazon.com, or the .ca has barely any options to choose from. That fancy Euro dines site someone linked a page or so back has better deals than I can get from Amazon on dines. :psyboom:

Luckily a fellow dad brings 'em up for me; I'll be stocking up next time I head over there.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I tried some sprats today out of curiosity, and wasn't that impressed. They were just lightly smoked in sunflower oil, and I normally much prefer my fishies in extra virgin olive oil so maybe that was it, but give me some nice meaty dines any day.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Bardeh posted:

I tried some sprats today out of curiosity, and wasn't that impressed. They were just lightly smoked in sunflower oil, and I normally much prefer my fishies in extra virgin olive oil so maybe that was it, but give me some nice meaty dines any day.

Well, they're a very different type of fish for a different type of event. Regular sardines are meatier, and good for proper sandwiches or crisp bread stuff. Sprats seem to go better as snacks, or on crackers or lighter crisps.

On that note, I tried frying up some silverskin onion (I think that's their proper name) and adding that to my 'dines when I ate them on crisp bread today. It removed even that slightest hint of fishyness, but wasn't all that spicy as regular onion would be. Coupled with the zest of jalapeno hot sauce, it was actually very dang good. Took a lot longer to prepare than just throwing some sauce and fish on bread, but worth the effort.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

The dineman didn't bring me KO's, I am deeply saddened and my disappointment is immeasurable.

Did pick up some Clover Leaf brand Brisling dines though; I've routinely ignored them thinking they were some big brand owned by Nestle or some poo poo but it turns out it's the same dines being caught by KO in the Baltic Sea, canned in Poland. Not much variety of choice; picked up the olive oil ones.

indyrenegade fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 12, 2018

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Bought MILLIONAIR'S sardines.

:monocle:

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Edit: Removed info about King Oscar marketing initiative

Male Tiers fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
There is an NDA, my good sir. :monocle: