Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

Not really surprising. I've always wanted to see massive labour strikes here to shake people up a bit and stick it to our corporate overlords, but I already know that the public reaction would be to blame the strikers. Nobody here gives a gently caress if thousands and millions are being horribly exploited, has no health care and can't even feed themselves without government assistance; they just don't want to be inconvenienced. If you have a horrible job then it's your fault for being lazy and stupid and not spending enough time sucking up to a probably non-existent and certainly arbitrary God until he makes you poo poo money.

Maybe it's because I grew up poor as gently caress in the rural Midwest that living in France pushed me pretty far to the left. I suppose falling in with a bunch of far-left Breton nationalists probably exacerbated that but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Soviet Commubot posted:

Maybe it's because I grew up poor as gently caress in the rural Midwest that living in France pushed me pretty far to the left. I suppose falling in with a bunch of far-left Breton nationalists probably exacerbated that but still.

If I remember correctly, you were poor as gently caress in France as well and then you had a high-paying job offer back in the US. When someone is very deprived and then manages a position of some comfort and "success", they can turn two ways: they can become a trouduc suffisant who thinks that everyone else who is still poor is just stupid, lazy or entitled, or one can actually develop some human loving compassion and not constantly support ideas that dehumanise les plus démunis. It goes without saying, I hope, that I opted for the latter path and I hope that you did as well.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

If I remember correctly, you were poor as gently caress in France as well and then you had a high-paying job offer back in the US. When someone is very deprived and then manages a position of some comfort and "success", they can turn two ways: they can become a trouduc suffisant who thinks that everyone else who is still poor is just stupid, lazy or entitled, or one can actually develop some human loving compassion and not constantly support ideas that dehumanise les plus démunis. It goes without saying, I hope, that I opted for the latter path and I hope that you did as well.

I was poor as gently caress (supporting my wife on 1 person's SMIC because she had immigration issues) and was going to have issues with getting my visa renewed since I'd had a special arrangement with the prefect but he got replaced with someone rather less friendly towards regional languages and wasn't amenable to renewing said special arrangement. I had a job offer in the States for a high paying job but that fell through so I ended up in a job with decidedly middle class pay, which is way more than I've ever made. Whether it was the right path or not isn't really relevant, I didn't have a lot of choice. The wife and I hope to return to Brittany some day if we can.

I know some people who've gone from poor to well off and hated other poor people but god drat I just don't get it. They know the struggle is real. I get that people, like I assume the American kid in that video, might come from privileged backgrounds and not even think about the lives of the people that "serve" them but anyone who's been poor should get it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Video's hosed up. I like the States really, but it's dumb lack of perspective like that they makes me so glad I've left. I'm not super radical but I'm definitely left enough to know that the SNCF is not wrong in this one. My partner left today for a bachelorette party in Marseille and her train back got cancelled already. She's
annoyed and inconvenienced but she knows who's at fault.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Ahahaha a Yank wistfully loving wondering why we're allowed to strike whenever we want is very, very revelatory, and not about the state of our labour laws

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

She sounds extremely Canadian though
But I’ll concede that a song that says, in a nutshell, "I literally do not understand anything about what’s going on here but lemme make a song about it" is pretty American, so I understand the confusion

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

She calls herself American in the video description? She's also part of some bullshit new age project to make the Internet more empathetic or something, which is pretty funny all things considered

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Gotta have empathy for the poor ruling class who has to deal with people going on strike instead of letting themselves get hosed over without making a peep

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

In case you missed it, according to le Figaro, le monde and le Point, Jean-Vincent Placé, twitter politician, famous in my eyes for making publicly accessible tons of private informations, yes to the various administrations, but also potentially to the private sector companies as well, all while saying "you idiots already give everything away on Facebook already lol", is currently having some problems:
http://www.lemonde.fr/politique/article/2018/04/05/l-ancien-secretaire-d-etat-jean-vincent-place-en-garde-a-vue_5280932_823448.html
http://www.lepoint.fr/politique/jean-vincent-place-tocard-tu-sais-pas-a-qui-tu-parles-05-04-2018-2208216_20.php

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 6, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Welp, Jacques Higelin est mort. :(

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I like Tombé du ciel

RIP

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I love that going back to the late 19th century system is what is touted as being modern and future-proof.

They'd go back to the 17th century if trains existed back then, too.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cat Mattress posted:

I love that going back to the late 19th century system is what is touted as being modern and future-proof.

They'd go back to the 17th century if trains existed back then, too.

what happened

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Flowers For Algeria posted:

man, yet another piece of evidence that right-wing "solutions" to the problem of radicalization and islamism do nothing but worsen the problem

Nah let's just ignore really glaring issues until we have salafis loving everywhere and act really surprised when it goes to poo poo in a few years.
It's important that we blame ourselves when it happens, keep gargling saudi dick, and never ever admit that maybe some cultures just loving suck.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
You should stop reading Houellebecq novels and listening to Manuel Vall.

But do tell us which cultures are inferior, this will be enlightening I'm sure.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 8, 2018

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Manuel Valls, vocal critic of the saudi regime

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Oh I wouldn't know, I'm just one of the morons who can't see the real threat of the imminent salafist takeover, after all.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Are you guys donating ?. Just threw :10bux: at those guys and I guess you can too.

Kassad posted:

Oh I wouldn't know, I'm just one of the morons who can't see the real threat of the imminent salafist takeover, after all.

I never said anything about a takeover.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Every single fascist should be persona non grata on the territory, including the entire saudi royal family, and it’s hella gross that macron is kissing saudi butt as we speak, but lol if you think everything is going to go to poo poo in france because of the sauds and not because of a combination of macronism, souchien fascists gaining footholds everywhere in the public sphere and global warming

all I’m saying is that the solution to radicalization and islamism in france likely doesn’t involve lowkey racism, highkey racism, ghettoisation, authoritarianism and tonfas up the rear end, is all

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Any french goongirls on this website ? Just curious

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/983408251864846336
https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/983419468532584448
https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/983420387781431296

Ni de droite ni de gauche, motherfuckers!

Kassad fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 9, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

is he seriously trying to make france a christian nation?????

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Once again, neoliberal modernism consists in undoing all the social progress accomplished since the Enlightenment.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Any french goongirls on this website ? Just curious

yes

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I know when I think of the direction France should go in, I look at things that are still laws exclusively in Alsace-Lorraine and go "yup, this seems like the thing to do"

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Condiv posted:

is he seriously trying to make france a christian nation?????
No he got most of the left against him because of the strike so he is trying to get some of the right-wing electorate. You know the one who voted for Fillon and think he is gay-jewish-mason.

HookShot posted:

I know when I think of the direction France should go in, I look at things that are still laws exclusively in Alsace-Lorraine and go "yup, this seems like the thing to do"
Yes, i do agree with that but both the catholic priests and the muslim imams will cry if they don't get their state money anymore. It would take political courage.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

What the fuuuuck

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cool

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

It made a tiny bit more sense when I realised it was his staff transcribing from his speech at the Conférence des évêques de France but still, what the hell. If we style ourselves as la fille aînée de l'Église again I am out of here

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Still begs the question: what the hell is he doing at the Conférence des Evêques de France

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
wasn’t macaron a laiciste before???

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

La laïcité is only for the weird religions, like Muslims and Jews, not for the Cathos who are strong, real, and our friends

BobMorane
Oct 25, 2010
Eh, he also went to CFCM and CRIJF shindings, surprisingly (?) religions are still a political force in 2018 France. Also yes, sweet sweet right vote captation...

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

lost in postation posted:

La laïcité is only for the weird religions, like Muslims and Jews, not for the Cathos who are strong, real, and our friends
Yeah the cathos still crying about separation law of 1905, totally strong.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
In other news, the people at Notre-Dame-des-Landes torched a gendarmerie armored vehicle this morning:

Kassad fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 10, 2018

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

BobMorane posted:

Eh, he also went to CFCM and CRIJF shindings, surprisingly (?) religions are still a political force in 2018 France. Also yes, sweet sweet right vote captation...

Yeah but he shouldn’t be going there either. Likewise I don’t get why there are parliamentary auditions of religious groups during the preparatory work surrounding bills like the loi de bioéthique or the marriage equality bill.

And when he goes to the CFCM or the CRIJF, he doesn’t say even half of what he just told the catholics.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

And when he goes to the CFCM or the CRIJF, he doesn’t say even half of what he just told the catholics.

Yeah I think that's the sticking point here. I personally don't find it extremely shocking that the president meets with prominent leaders in various religious communities* even though I don't really care for it but no-one was breathlessly live-tweeting that the State should reconcile with the Church (which somehow goes unnamed, since it's the only denomination in France I guess?) when he went to see the other guys

*edit: as long as it doesn't influence policy, of course

lost in postation fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 10, 2018

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

(which somehow goes unnamed, since it's the only denomination in France I guess?)

Those other denominations are for the dirty Saxons who don't recognize the Pope as being God incarnated on earth.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Yeah I think that's the sticking point here. I personally don't find it extremely shocking that the president meets with prominent leaders in various religious communities* even though I don't really care for it but no-one was breathlessly live-tweeting that the State should reconcile with the Church (which somehow goes unnamed, since it's the only denomination in France I guess?) when he went to see the other guys

*edit: as long as it doesn't influence policy, of course

imo it's also perfectly acceptable that religious communities influence policy in certain areas e.g. exceptions to noise regulations for church bells or prayer calls or what have you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobMorane
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah but he shouldn’t be going there either. Likewise I don’t get why there are parliamentary auditions of religious groups during the preparatory work surrounding bills like the loi de bioéthique or the marriage equality bill.

Fair enough, especially the last point.