Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Microcline posted:

The official reason given for Scroll of Brand Armour is that by far the optimal use would be boots so you could get the running ego.

Just make it so that the scroll can only add elemental resists (rF, rC, rElec, rPois, rCorr, rN).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rare chance for clarity or mr

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
Lmao Shroud of Golubria at 17/18, I'm dying. So close little buddy, maybe next year.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wait, i cast a vote for shroud. i was too high at the time to cast any votes

e: oh right the reason i came here. why don't mace/flails weapons have an evocable attack (like polearms) that tries to push an enemy back but does less damage and opens you up for punishment

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 9, 2018

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Tollymain posted:

wait, i cast a vote for shroud. i was too high at the time to cast any votes

e: oh right the reason i came here. why don't mace/flails weapons have an evocable attack (like polearms) that tries to push an enemy back but does less damage and opens you up for punishment

I already interpreted your input as a vote for every spell that got named.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Necromut being a permabuff is actually a huge power increase if it works like other permabuffs and you can toggle it off instantly (to e.g. drink potions or fight holy monsters or cast ddoor).

FR: add a 10-20 turn delay to toggling off necromutation

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You can already turn off necromut when you like

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Seems kind of a waste to have Necromutation be a permabuff which is a big quality of life improvement, only to transfer the "annoying-ness" of re-casting Necromutation to some delay for toggling.

Also, the MP reserved by level 6+ permabuffs is far from trivial, it adds up very quickly specially if it's reserving extra MP for insufficient skill training. So while you get the convenience of a permabuff, you're also sacrificing a larger MP pool when you could sustain Necromutation just fine under the previous system with more spells to cast at once.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I’m disappointed that Death Channel didn’t make it. It’s one of the most classic cases of a spell that should be a permabuff: since the spectral minions are long lived, using it in every fight with corpse-producing enemies is ideal. People who learn this spell will still be annoyed at having to cast it all the time.

I’m disappointed with Ozo’s armor making it, too, but I already figured I was not on the side of popular opinion on that one.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

a post so bad it refuses to load

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Tollymain posted:

what if demigods could turn items into artifacts w their deeds and exploits

this, on the other hand, is a good post

it also gives demigolems a reason to push the god power button

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a species that can use a specific racial skill to basically sacrifice a chunk of something or other of their innate power to create artifacts would be cool as hell

whether max hp or training or mp, etc. etc. etc.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

You can already turn off necromut when you like

apple posted:

Seems kind of a waste to have Necromutation be a permabuff which is a big quality of life improvement, only to transfer the "annoying-ness" of re-casting Necromutation to some delay for toggling.

Also, the MP reserved by level 6+ permabuffs is far from trivial, it adds up very quickly specially if it's reserving extra MP for insufficient skill training. So while you get the convenience of a permabuff, you're also sacrificing a larger MP pool when you could sustain Necromutation just fine under the previous system with more spells to cast at once.

The point is that Necromutation disables some powerful survival tools, so the fact that you have to spend auts to turn it off is a big deal. Not being able to DDoor on demand (or just drink potions) is a big deal.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
I'm pretty thrilled with the results of the survey.

Finally won with Kobold and Vampire. :D

Metoron
Jun 5, 2006
Hurm.
Sucks that Shroud won't be a permabuff, it's like one of the two early game ones I was hoping for permabuff status, along with Infusion, since it's so annoying to recast all the time.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I think shroud was originally designed to lose relevance by virtue of the annoyance at keeping it up not being worth the increasingly small benefit of doing so. In retrospect, that’s pretty bad design, but making shroud a permabuff would make it a more important spell than it was originally designed to be. I’d rather not have a bunch of powerful, low level permabuffs that are useful for everyone.

I think the actual, correct choice would be to just axe the spell and give something else to warpers and skalds. Hellcrawl removes it, gives skalds ozo’s armor and removes warpers. I think warpers are worth keeping, but I don’t know what we could do for them, since they’re a really weak start already.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
level 1 tloc spell: local tether

when you cast it, it gives you a status effect called "tether". taking damage or attempting to walk out of visual range of the tile you cast it on blinks you back to that tile

too strong? too weak?

alternatively/additionally warpers could start w a little more gas in the tank w their melee skills, they're basically a melee start w some utility spells as it is

e: if shroud isnt a permabuff we could do weird things with it like have it cancel the first successful attack *over* a damage threshold (possibly w a contingency push/blink?). the slow blade penetrates the shield etc. an anti-ogre measure?

if recasting it every time its busted is too good add in some kinda cooldown debuff? it could cause vertigo and be prevented from being recast by that status maybe?

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 10, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

I'm not a crawl player but I think it's ok for a game to be a little PosChengBand sometimes

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tollymain posted:

e: if shroud isnt a permabuff we could do weird things with it like have it cancel the first successful attack *over* a damage threshold (possibly w a contingency push/blink?). the slow blade penetrates the shield etc. an anti-ogre measure?

if recasting it every time its busted is too good add in some kinda cooldown debuff? it could cause vertigo and be prevented from being recast by that status maybe?

I love that actually.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Darox posted:

The point is that Necromutation disables some powerful survival tools, so the fact that you have to spend auts to turn it off is a big deal. Not being able to DDoor on demand (or just drink potions) is a big deal.

You've left me more confused than before

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Johnny Joestar posted:

a species that can use a specific racial skill to basically sacrifice a chunk of something or other of their innate power to create artifacts would be cool as hell

whether max hp or training or mp, etc. etc. etc.

if its demigods its called sacrifice religion

apple posted:

You've left me more confused than before

you're thinking of qol, they're thinking of tactical drawbacks

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

demigods generate piety toward themselves through mythic deeds, and each mythic deed has a chance to discharge the piety into an equipped item, artifactizing it and adding more/better properties in proportion to the discharged piety

maybe only large deeds can spend tons of piety, while less important (but still mythic) deeds can only spend two stars or something?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Making it completely random reminds me a bit too much of victory dancing, though I'm having trouble articulating why.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i agree that is best if these kinds of things are not particularly manipulable by player action imo

in that sense, complete randomness is probably actually good :v

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Well, it does definitely mean that, if you've got a comfortable amount of life and have a way to disengage, it would be best to drop items you don't want to be turned into artifacts.

easy example being:
I'm close to killing a unique, am at mostly full HP still. I was carrying some rings for niche swaps and maybe a flail as a hydra weapon(because I'm using axes), maybe a piece or two of body armor I'm not normally using, unless for example an ice cave shows up because this +0 rC+ ring mail will be better in there than my +3 scale mail, when normally it's the other way around.

So before I finish this unique I should use blink/swiftness/summon butterflies/whatever to create space and walk up stairs or break LoS with a few tiles between them regaining LoS, and then drop my niche resist swaps and weapons I don't normally use, then go back and finish them off. That would get old quick.

I would also definitely not normally want most weapons I want to use longterm to become artifacts when they aren't highly enchanted yet because artifact weapons cannot be enchanted further and often don't have fantastic extra benefits. (In this case, I do the same thing as the previous example, but I drop my main weapon to use a backup weapon while killing the unique instead to prevent my +0 broad axe from becoming a +2 broad axe of venom and +rN, Str+3 which I can never upgrade.)

tl;dr: if you're gonna give demigods a "things become artifacts" ability, please let the player choose when to do it/what to do it to instead of it happening randomly because otherwise influencing what it happens becomes very annoying. not that I want demigods changed anyways

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im an idiot lmao

in my defense ive been mentally awake for like 15 minutes

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

my take on it was literally something along the lines of like how deep dwarves could use a heal wounds effect on themselves by sacrificing an mp or hp point or whatever the hell, just scale it up to generating random artifacts based on some amount of something or other that can be considered 'balanced' enough

note that this doesn't have to be related to demigods, and wasn't originally intended that way. just a random, off the cuff potential fun gimmick for a race.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i imagine a couple good control mechanisms would be for (perhaps only demigod-generated?) artefacts to not be further modificable, and the enchantment level to be relatively untethered to the original

also artefacts need not always be good, sometimes stories involve treacherous swords and poo poo

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

Well, it does definitely mean that, if you've got a comfortable amount of life and have a way to disengage, it would be best to drop items you don't want to be turned into artifacts.

easy example being:
I'm close to killing a unique, am at mostly full HP still. I was carrying some rings for niche swaps and maybe a flail as a hydra weapon(because I'm using axes), maybe a piece or two of body armor I'm not normally using, unless for example an ice cave shows up because this +0 rC+ ring mail will be better in there than my +3 scale mail, when normally it's the other way around.

So before I finish this unique I should use blink/swiftness/summon butterflies/whatever to create space and walk up stairs or break LoS with a few tiles between them regaining LoS, and then drop my niche resist swaps and weapons I don't normally use, then go back and finish them off. That would get old quick.

I would also definitely not normally want most weapons I want to use longterm to become artifacts when they aren't highly enchanted yet because artifact weapons cannot be enchanted further and often don't have fantastic extra benefits. (In this case, I do the same thing as the previous example, but I drop my main weapon to use a backup weapon while killing the unique instead to prevent my +0 broad axe from becoming a +2 broad axe of venom and +rN, Str+3 which I can never upgrade.)

tl;dr: if you're gonna give demigods a "things become artifacts" ability, please let the player choose when to do it/what to do it to instead of it happening randomly because otherwise influencing what it happens becomes very annoying. not that I want demigods changed anyways

wearing, not carrying

but yeah i can see the point, i was just trying to go with the original flavor of tollymain's suggestion. maybe the mythic deed could trigger a prompt along the lines of "do you wish to attribute your deed to an object, giving it divine power?" if more player control is desired, with possibilities for different degrees of control - does the prompt specify an item (restrictive, but at least the player can decline), or can the player choose the item?

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

sacrificing your power as a god-like entity to forge an artifact of great strength is sounding suspiciously similar to a particularly taboo fantasy world

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sojenus posted:

sacrificing your power as a god-like entity to forge an artifact of great strength is sounding suspiciously similar to a particularly taboo fantasy world

Almost literally all mythologies have an example of that.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tollymain posted:

level 1 tloc spell: local tether

when you cast it, it gives you a status effect called "tether". taking damage or attempting to walk out of visual range of the tile you cast it on blinks you back to that tile

too strong? too weak?
I have no idea what this would be useful for. Cast next to a corner and then try to sneak up on a sleeping centaur in the middle of the room?

quote:

If you change shroud like that then you'll have people spam-casting it all game to deal with things like Juggernaut punches and crystal spears. The way the current shroud works, each cast is worth exactly 10 points of damage mitigation on average (though if your enemy hits for 30 it means your shroud will break before blocking anything 2/3rds of the time).
It could change to a buff that gives temporary guardian spirit, though that wouldn't work too well with Skalds' infusion.

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I have no idea what this would be useful for. Cast next to a corner and then try to sneak up on a sleeping centaur in the middle of the room?

You'd want to constantly recast it while walking around, so if you find a scary ranged monster the spell helps you run away. Sounds cute in a smaller game but awfully tedious in Crawl.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Here's a demigod idea: Activated ability to burn "piety" and permanently lower a stat to generate different kinds of artifact items. Lowering strength gives you weapons, dexterity gives you armor, intelligence gives you jewelry. Number of stat points drained = number of egos on artifact. Maybe buff the stats you get on levelup as well.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I still like my idea of "destroy altars to deal with god wraths but also gain weaker versions of that god's abilities".

Maybe limit it to 3 altars destroyable and gaining the first level power of those gods?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the point of demigods is that you don't get god's abilities

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Patashu posted:

You'd want to constantly recast it while walking around, so if you find a scary ranged monster the spell helps you run away. Sounds cute in a smaller game but awfully tedious in Crawl.

cast it when you see a fight you may find yourself wanting to run away from early, then charge forward so if you need to make a quick escape you just move to a position out of los of the tether

idk what i was thinking of w the damage part, i will 100% admit to my posts in here being half-baked at best (more like fully-baked most of the time lmao)

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you change shroud like that then you'll have people spam-casting it all game to deal with things like Juggernaut punches and crystal spears. The way the current shroud works, each cast is worth exactly 10 points of damage mitigation on average (though if your enemy hits for 30 it means your shroud will break before blocking anything 2/3rds of the time).
It could change to a buff that gives temporary guardian spirit, though that wouldn't work too well with Skalds' infusion.

is spam-casting still a thing if you involve a cooldown debuff?

guardian spirit as a spell honestly wouldnt clash too much w infusion because infusion runs out of steam early and guardian spirit scales over time as far as i can tell

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 11, 2018

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Warpers have enough escape and defense, what they need is better kill dudes. But I would be hesitant to boost their melee, since a common response to “how do I win warper?” is “slap on some heavy armor, play like a lovely fighter and ignore your spell book until later”. Giving them a better starting weapon, for example, only reinforces that. What I think they should get is a way to deal or improve damage that encourages 5-7 points into translocations.

What about giving lesser beckoning an extremely short effect that lowers enemy ev and makes them take more damage? The power of the effect would scale based on both spell power and how far away the enemy was yanked from (making power ultra important for this spell). To compensate, the spell should probably also be bumped to level 4 to make it less accessible to every melee character.

So the total proposed changes would be:

1. Remove shroud of golubria.
2. Give skalds Ozo’s armor (ugh).
3. Change lesser beckoning to a level 4 spell and give it a damage increasing debuff that scales pretty aggressively with spell power.
4. Give warpers a cloak to help them survive the first levels.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

IronicDongz posted:

the point of demigods is that you don't get god's abilities

then it sure is a good thing that we're splitting current demigods into a different race with a better name (prometheans, last I checked) and freeing up the name for a new race, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GeneX posted:

I still like my idea of "destroy altars to deal with god wraths but also gain weaker versions of that god's abilities".

Maybe limit it to 3 altars destroyable and gaining the first level power of those gods?

i am not dealing w god wrath for shittier versions of their weakest abilities lmao

its not as though demigods have a particularly strong early-through-mid-game anyway

• Locked thread