Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

tweet my meat posted:

I love it. It's the new haunted hills for me when I want to play it slow and steady.

good, stay out of my Haunted Hills :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I'm a big fan of going to the factories on the west side of Loot Lake and then mowing suckers down as they try to trudge across the lake either to the island mansion or...well, anywhere else really. No cover and you can't sprint.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

some of the best spots are unnamed locations too. there are a lot of hills that will spawn with 2-3 chests that people just don't think about going to.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

AAB posted:

some of the best spots are unnamed locations too. there are a lot of hills that will spawn with 2-3 chests that people just don't think about going to.

Is it my bad luck or do weapons/crates not really spawn in the little shacks and rundown houses outside of some of the named locations?

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

those are mostly floor loot spots and very very rarely chests

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Beastie posted:

Is it my bad luck or do weapons/crates not really spawn in the little shacks and rundown houses outside of some of the named locations?

I don’t think any of the single square shacks or towers spawn chests. Anything larger typically has a chance to spawn a chest.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Beastie posted:

Rundown houses can have 1 chest a piece. There are three to the east/soith east of Salty Springs that are good to hit then jump into Salty to take out the last guy standing.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

since not many people realize this, :siren: there is an autorun hotkey that you can manage poo poo while still running. by default it is set to the =/+ key, but can be remapped elsewhere. it will auto walk/crouch walk/crouch run/run your char whenever

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Johnny Truant posted:

good, stay out of my Haunted Hills :colbert:

I still drop there regularly in solo, and I'll gently caress you up if I ever see you there buddy.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Also that easter egg grenade launcher is useless. I played solo rockets a few times and I kept getting that gun. It was impossible to kill anyone with it.

Even people that were inside a building that had no clue I could see them. I'd lob a few eggs into their room and they'd just get away before any could detonate.

It was more effective for me to chase someone down and pickaxe them.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I like the egg launcher alright in a squad for flushing people out, but it's just a poor man's rpg.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

AAB posted:

since not many people realize this, :siren: there is an autorun hotkey that you can manage poo poo while still running. by default it is set to the =/+ key, but can be remapped elsewhere. it will auto walk/crouch walk/crouch run/run your char whenever

But you have to hold shift :(

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

AAB posted:

I’ve been trying to branch out to improve my game, but my favorite spot is the house’s north of tomato town. Good loot, lots of wood in the area, relatively peaceful.

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009

tote up a bags posted:

But you have to hold shift :(

Mmm I don’t think so. Once you get up to sprint speed it should keep you there.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Is amazing the things that people can do in Fortnite.

Like that dude that won a game by landing in a tree and staying in that tree the whole game.
Or today, a guy that managed to cross the whole map by riding rockets (firing a new rocket and flyiing that one every few seconds).

And they have yet to enable fat heroes in BR. I can't imagine what awesomeness await us when they add a Kyle of Penny skin.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Tei posted:

And they have yet to enable fat heroes in BR. I can't imagine what awesomeness await us when they add a Kyle of Penny skin.

I got my money on more custom skins for streamers. If Drake can play as himself then it stands to reason they're working on a Ninja skin. Or whoever else is currently raking in the cash.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

tweet my meat posted:

I still drop there regularly in solo, and I'll gently caress you up if I ever see you there buddy.

I've only ever dropped there once, i had a group of people who were clearly working together drop with me.

I found a rocket launcher, they found a pistol.

:grin:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tei posted:

Yeah it'd be cool if they implement the other body models from StW and would also mean StW would get a few more updates rather than another event character who is just a commando reskin. Though I can already see people bitching about silhouettes or animations randomly assigned being an advantage or disadvantage.
BR is fun but yeah it really seems like co-op is dead on the vine. So many really bad design choices too that just a lil more attention could fix, but still a fun basic idea underneath it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

tweet my meat posted:

You muthafucka, thems fightin words! Time to settle this the only way I know how...

Drop 10 times at Tilted, whoever has the highest average k/d ratio gets custody of Haunted; visitation rights can be determined after.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Emron posted:

I’ve been trying to branch out to improve my game, but my favorite spot is the house’s north of tomato town. Good loot, lots of wood in the area, relatively peaceful.

Thats my go to spot. I drop middle house, loot in a min and run towards anarchy and kill the guy still looting the big house and you are usually set for loadout.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Fatal fields,Salty Springs, Retail Row for me. I do fine at tilted but I don't think it's better practice than a spicy Salty or Retail drop at all.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Playing a duo with a friend, we won by hiding under the outcropping at loot lake the entire game.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
houses are my weak point. i dunno what it is about them but whenever i try to do anything near one my target immediately disappears until they are directly behind me with a shotgun

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hi all, I am new to Fortnite (PS4) and late to the party, but I finally tried it out this weekend and kind of dig it!

I'm super confused by the battle passes, v-bucks, items, tiers, stars, etc...

I am just curious (as I don't mind spending some dollars on enriching the game for myself) if anything is suggested or worth getting. I know it doesn't comprise a tactical advantage... just making sure if I want to have a different look, or get the most bucks/usability out of my purchase, if I should get a Battlepass, or just piecemeal purchase poo poo, or what...

[edit] Also what is it indicative of when my controller lightly vibrates for no apparent reason. Is someone nearby?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Feenix posted:

Hi all, I am new to Fortnite (PS4) and late to the party, but I finally tried it out this weekend and kind of dig it!

I'm super confused by the battle passes, v-bucks, items, tiers, stars, etc...

I am just curious (as I don't mind spending some dollars on enriching the game for myself) if anything is suggested or worth getting. I know it doesn't comprise a tactical advantage... just making sure if I want to have a different look, or get the most bucks/usability out of my purchase, if I should get a Battlepass, or just piecemeal purchase poo poo, or what...

[edit] Also what is it indicative of when my controller lightly vibrates for no apparent reason. Is someone nearby?

The battlepass is worth it if you play enough because it will allow you to earn enough Vbucks to buy each subsequent season's battlepass. It might not be worth getting now though, so late in this season. I'd recommend playing the last couple weeks of this season and decide if you like it enough to drop $10 for next season. It adds weekly challenges and earns you probably 10x the cosmetics than if you play without it.

The vibration is either a bug or a dumb attempt at some coded messages, if you believe reddit. Either way don't pay any attention to it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

wa27 posted:

The battlepass is worth it if you play enough because it will allow you to earn enough Vbucks to buy each subsequent season's battlepass. It might not be worth getting now though, so late in this season. I'd recommend playing the last couple weeks of this season and decide if you like it enough to drop $10 for next season. It adds weekly challenges and earns you probably 10x the cosmetics than if you play without it.

The vibration is either a bug or a dumb attempt at some coded messages, if you believe reddit. Either way don't pay any attention to it.

Thank you. A couple follow ups:

1) 10 bucks? Doesn't Season 3 Battle Pass cost 2800 vBucks? When I go to the PSN Store that seems to be... 24.99? 19.99? One of those. It's 2500+300 Bonus V Bucks...

[edit] Oh wait, Battle Pass != Battle Bundle. Is the Battle Bundle worth it or...?

2) This is probably an asinine thing to say about this game, but maybe it's just because I am new? I am not comfortable with quickly building so I've been kind of playing this as a shooting game that doesn't have building in it. Not really ruining anything for me, but I am noticing if I have someone dead to rights in the open they get into a firefight with me and then QUICKLY build a wall up for themselves. Is there some kind of quick method of erecting a wall or are they just good?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Feenix posted:

2) This is probably an asinine thing to say about this game, but maybe it's just because I am new? I am not comfortable with quickly building so I've been kind of playing this as a shooting game that doesn't have building in it. Not really ruining anything for me, but I am noticing if I have someone dead to rights in the open they get into a firefight with me and then QUICKLY build a wall up for themselves. Is there some kind of quick method of erecting a wall or are they just good?

People are just good at building quickly, if you're playing on the PC I recommend rebinding your build keys to buttons on your moue (provided you have more than 2 buttons) if you can't do that, get them somewhere around WASD because without building you will likely never make it to the last 3-5 and you will 100% never win a game.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
PS4 here. Good to know it's just skill and I wasn't missing something. :)

So do I keep unlocked things from Pass tiers once a season is over? Emotes, skins, models, etc?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Feenix posted:

Not really ruining anything for me, but I am noticing if I have someone dead to rights in the open they get into a firefight with me and then QUICKLY build a wall up for themselves. Is there some kind of quick method of erecting a wall or are they just good?

On console, not really. The controls are what they are, so it's just a matter of muscle memory. It might help to just keep it simple for a while. Just select the stairs and keep them selected. If you're in a battle, throw down a few stairs and you can use them as cover, peek over them, or keep building them to get on top of someone.

Eventually you'll want to start switching between stairs, floors and walls quickly, but starting out with just stairs will be a big step up from not building at all.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The truck next to the telescopes near wailing woods is the best unnamed loot spot in the game right now. There’s a chance for 5 chests and an ammo box between the truck area, the tree below it, and the RV site on the other side of the hill. The only problem is that it’s a hotspot for the good players who like to land out of the way and work inwards.

Friendly Lurker
Apr 7, 2012

IOIOIOIOIOIOIO

wa27 posted:

The mobile app does the same thing. I've noticed on my phone and on the PS4, after it vibrates there is somebody close enough I can see them if I look around. It does feel like a bug though..

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Friendly Lurker posted:

The mobile app does the same thing. I've noticed on my phone and on the PS4, after it vibrates there is somebody close enough I can see them if I look around. It does feel like a bug though..

Could be intentional, since PC games tend to have an easier time rotating/moving and homing in on stuff when you use KB+mouse, or you can do stuff like adjust FOV so for the controller based formats with more locked down vision radius might wanna give you a heads up to look around, or as a quick 'oh poo poo' dodge to avoid a sniper if someone's had you in their sights for a bit.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Feenix posted:

PS4 here. Good to know it's just skill and I wasn't missing something. :)

So do I keep unlocked things from Pass tiers once a season is over? Emotes, skins, models, etc?

From what I've read, Xbox players can rebind keys on controllers. But I'm not even sure you can see those on PS4. But maybe PS4 allows this as well? Either way, Epic did say they would probably allow people to rebind in-game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Is the Serious Overchill link in OP still supposed to valid?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Feenix posted:

Yeah, even if you don't buy another pass you keep everything you unlocked.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The Battlepass is shockingly good value. Like it might be the best value in any F2P game ever. It's cheap, not particularly hard to level if you play often, gives several dozen dollars worth of cosmetics and even funds you getting the next season.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 10, 2018

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Do you only have enough vbucks for next season if you don't spend any?

Cause fffffffffuck that noise, when the Salty emote comes back around, cha-muthafuckin-ching, bitches

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Johnny Truant posted:

Do you only have enough vbucks for next season if you don't spend any?

Cause fffffffffuck that noise, when the Salty emote comes back around, cha-muthafuckin-ching, bitches

Correct. If you want spend vbucks on cosmetics, you'll have to plop down some real cash at some point if you plan on keeping Battlepass each season.

Having said that, I bought the pve game when it was on sale. The sole purpose was because I heard it hands vbucks at you hand over foot. I didn't make it past the tutorial missions, so I don't know how lucrative it is.

BUT I've received approx 800-1000 from "Daily login rewards" alone. Not too shabby
edit - I'd say I accumulated that over two and a half months.

el B fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 10, 2018

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
Is the PvE game any fun? The in-game description says it has "microtransactions" - is that bad cell-phone game stuff, or just fancy costumes for game-bux?

I downloaded this to my PS4 on Saturday, because... it's free and also Drake played it or something? I can get into the top ten remaining pretty often, but then I get murdered by wizened old tower wizards whose unspeakable stick stacking power seems to grow when the storm closes in.

Pretty solid gaming experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Is the Serious Overchill link in OP still supposed to valid?

oh gently caress is it borked? lemme get a new one then

should be fixed

AAB fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 10, 2018