Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Not Operator posted:

you lazy fuckers I gave you one job

Alright, alright! Keep your pants on. Here’s a list I put together for someone else a while back, plus a couple more. Spoiler zone.

Ariong posted:

Music:

Don't Let's Start - Thread favorite! Music video for the TMBG song.

Wonderland Round 3 - Super sketchy animatic depicting the final battle of the Suffering Game synced up to the eponymous song. More action oriented than most of these things.

T.I.M.E. {spoilers} - Ooh, drama.

Arms Outstretched- King and LionHeart - This one introduced me to one of my favorite songs!

Podcast Audio:

You Hear it Too - The very end of the second-to last episode of TAZ. Very very well done.

This is it A few moments of the last episode of the Stolen Century. Really like the transition from flashback to present.

The Book of Merlemon - A little-remembered bit from The Eleventh Hour. So much character in those movements!

50 Shades of Green - Merle talks dirty to some plants. Yuck warning if your name is Justin Mcelroy.

So, there's my favorites. If you want even more TAZ animatics, good news! Your youtube recommendations list is now full of them.

An Idiot - This one’s set to an original song, so that’s pretty cool. It’s about Taako’s early characterization as an Idiot Wizard, and how that is recontextualized by later events.

Let’s Get This Over With - Similar to Don’t Let’s Start in many ways, including high quality.

:rip: people who still have youtube embeds turned on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Elementary is mostly just random noise, but the previous years' bonus episodes, from TAZ Nights to the Secret Beach Adventure are all quite good.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I Can't Decide - This one's about John

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

whenever animatics are posted I feel it's very important to post ones related to Magic Brian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efLSk_RmoJ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV6gi2WMUVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9wPWuPEkRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wueSqxe0Lw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILQaZC24kiw

Also, the official TAZ balance trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cj8d6EcFp0&t=64s

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Rodyle posted:

my posts are mostly just random noise

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Rodyle posted:

Elementary is mostly just random noise, but the previous years' bonus episodes, from TAZ Nights to the Secret Beach Adventure are all quite good.

Man it must be physically painful to be so wrong

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I didn't check to see if someone already posted it, but the live action TAZ fan film is ridiculously good: https://youtu.be/aWot_8E4g2c

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ariong posted:

The Book of Merlemon - A little-remembered bit from The Eleventh Hour. So much character in those movements!

This one's my favorite. :allears:

I don't know if I'm ready to watch the dramatic ones yet...

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Rodyle posted:

What the gently caress

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
TAZ fan art is the only fan art I’ve ever liked

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pollyanna posted:

Does TAZ ever do Dungeon World? That’s the most impressive of all the tabletop RPGs I’ve seen, and I think it’d be a real good fit for them judging by how they interact.

They don't, but for what it's worth two of the mini-arcs and the next full season all use various Powered by the Apocalypse systems, which are very similar mechanically to Dungeon World (since it's also PbtA).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This MBMBAM/TAZ mixup is also pretty loving great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpYtzLH2-WI

quiggy posted:

They don't, but for what it's worth two of the mini-arcs and the next full season all use various Powered by the Apocalypse systems, which are very similar mechanically to Dungeon World (since it's also PbtA).

Cool cool, I'm looking forward to them :)

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

El Padrino posted:

The only thing I didn't like of Lup was that the name was not short for Chyalupa or something intentionally mis-spelled in keeping with Justin's dumb goof of 'name is Taako cause idgaf'

That aside the character was cool

I feel like on a TTAAZZ they said it originally was going to be as a joke but they didn't go through with it in the end.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Sorry to break up the TAZ chat, but Louie Zong has a new animation out, and he always knows exactly what to give us.
https://youtu.be/fDwmndPI3yc

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Good Listener posted:

I feel like on a TTAAZZ they said it originally was going to be as a joke but they didn't go through with it in the end.

Due to the fact that TAZ is an audio medium and not a visual one, there is a wiiide variety of depictions of the characters since there are no real (or very vague) canonical appearances. With this in mind, a Taako with brown skin while also named after tacos would seem racist. "Chalupa" would cement that.

SpacePig posted:

Sorry to break up the TAZ chat, but Louie Zong has a new animation out, and he always knows exactly what to give us.
https://youtu.be/fDwmndPI3yc

aw gently caress yes

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You know speaking of fan animations a lot of people have animated Merle's chat with John, and that is a real good moment between his joy speech and 'kiss my rear end, you self righteous bastard', but I'm shocked that no one gives any love to Merle's mushroom church moment. Am I just alone in thinking that was a highlight of Stolen Century? I thought seeing Merle be An Actual Priest for once was a really great character moment for a guy who spent most of the campaign as a comic relief guy.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The Delivery Man Louie Zong. Forget Seth Carlson

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

sexpig by night posted:

You know speaking of fan animations a lot of people have animated Merle's chat with John, and that is a real good moment between his joy speech and 'kiss my rear end, you self righteous bastard', but I'm shocked that no one gives any love to Merle's mushroom church moment. Am I just alone in thinking that was a highlight of Stolen Century? I thought seeing Merle be An Actual Priest for once was a really great character moment for a guy who spent most of the campaign as a comic relief guy.

the thread was all hard as a rock for that scene iirc

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

It was a great scene. I thought maybe the reason there haven't been any animatics of it is that it's not very dynamic. It's more suited to a standalone piece of art than an animated thing. However, doing a little bit of searching, I couldn't find any standalone art for it either! Odd.

However, I did find that the person who did the I Can't Decide animatic also did a series of posters(?) for each of the Balance arcs. I like when people do that.
http://moosecannoncop.tumblr.com/post/164565585680/its-rare-that-i-get-as-invested-into-a-piece-of

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

sexpig by night posted:

I love that moment, mushroom Jesus Merle cemented him as my favorite character.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/MattfDoyle/status/983539502881869825

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

a beautiful family, just a beautiful family.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Oh man I’m finally getting the chance I listen to 400, and when Travis whiffed on talking to Marg Helgenberger for the third time I laughed so hard I cried

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Merle got awesome when he was interacting with John.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

Merle got awesome when he was interacting with John.

I feel like they drastically undersold the whole experiencing death every single encounter and how hosed your mind would have to become to accept that.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I always like Merle to some extent because it was Clint basically trying his hardest to just play D&D, and just not really being able to. He was always decently funny in a dad sort of way, and his bumbling cleric shtick was entertaining to me. But him staying behind to console a bunch of folks meeting an unstoppable doom and giving a really good talk really solidified him as my favorite character, and I think was the type of thing Clint might've wanted to play all along.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

um excuse me posted:

I feel like they drastically undersold the whole experiencing death every single encounter and how hosed your mind would have to become to accept that.

To be fair they didn't die every encounter. At least one had to make it alive but Kravitz gives them their death counts at dramatically different numbers in Crystal kingdom.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Holes in the brain from multiple deaths is the canonical explanation for why Merle is not a good cleric.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

To be fair they didn't die every encounter. At least one had to make it alive but Kravitz gives them their death counts at dramatically different numbers in Crystal kingdom.

I believe they meant every encounter that Merle had with John.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Holy poo poo the ending to commitment was absolutely bonkers.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Shinjobi posted:

Griffin describing that in plain terms in TTAZZ made me realize just how stupid Commitment was, and kinda made me miss it even if Justin's was the only good character in that one.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

DR Bonkers.

(That's a joke for later)

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

SpacePig posted:

Griffin describing that in plain terms in TTAZZ made me realize just how stupid Commitment was, and kinda made me miss it even if Justin's was the only good character in that one.

I was happy to hear that Clint had no specific ending planned for Commitment, the entire last episode had this entire "anything could happen" vibe that was exhausting but really refreshing.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Has anyone here actually read any of Clint's comics, out of interest?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I asked the same thing and... guess not. From what I can tell, he mostly adapted things. That mini he (co?)wrote looks like fun 90’s schlock though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

thexerox123 posted:

DR Bonkers.

I listened to the arcs out of order. Started with dust, then amnesty, and just finished commitment. One day I'll get through Balance, but for now I'll hold on and wait for more Amnesty.

But yeah, Commitment's finale felt completely off the rails in a most interesting way. Just wild.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

thexerox123 posted:

DR Bonkers.

Clint not knowing what the TAZ pin was all about was also a top moment of TTAZZ this year. Travis exasperatedly going "It's Dr. Harris Bonkers!" while Clint struggles to figure out what the hell was great.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I just listened to the most recent The The Adventure Zone Zone, and I found myself dissatisfied with the response to "I'm worried that abandoning D&D will stymie the cool poo poo like Phantom Steed"

Griffin seemingly takes umbrage and says that cool poo poo like Phantom Steed was because they were ignoring the rules of D&D, so we shouldn't be concerned about losing moments like that. My favorite parts have always been Justin busting out a completely wild or unexpected spell and Griffin saying "ok, what the gently caress does THAT do" and then figuring out how it works in context

While it's true that, in a strict D&D context, the DM shouldn't have allowed those moments to occur, I think the real concern is that D&D offers structure and limitations that I'm not sure these other systems do. There's decades of development and history and specificity in D&D, and that leads to things like Justin shuffling through cards of spells his character might be able to access until he finds something that truly elevates a moment. In these other arcs, it seems like the PC capabilities are pretty well established at the start. Remy can jump good, Aubrey can do fire, Gus can turn intangible, Gandy can use her pince-nez, et cetera. Add to that the reaction that fan-submitted items won't be part of the gameplay, and that removes another X factor. How is Clint going to amusingly misunderstand his abilities if he's the one that specced them out in the first place?

I'm sure there's stuff in Monster of the Week I'm not aware of, and maybe I have nothing to worry about, but it really feels like narrowing the chances that anything will catch him off guard, or that what we hear will be anything other than Griffin Presents: Griffin's Story, by Griffin (Age 30)

I loved what Balance did, expanding on and working within the rules and lore of the existing universe. It's like if somebody built a functioning toaster out of Legos. "Wow," you'd say, "that's really interesting and cool!" And then they say that, as a follow-up, they're going to make a functioning toaster out of metal and circuit boards and a heating element. Even if it's a "better" toaster that more closely resembles what the builder had in mind, at that point it's nowhere near as fun.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Inkspot posted:

I asked the same thing and... guess not. From what I can tell, he mostly adapted things. That mini he (co?)wrote looks like fun 90’s schlock though.

There was an episode of MBMBaM where the brothers mentioned a comic he wrote, then realized that they couldn’t talk about it because he ghostwrote it. Knowing that, it’s entirely possible that a lot of us have read his stuff without knowing it.

ALFbrot posted:

l
I loved what Balance did, expanding on and working within the rules and lore of the existing universe. It's like if somebody built a functioning toaster out of Legos. "Wow," you'd say, "that's really interesting and cool!" And then they say that, as a follow-up, they're going to make a functioning toaster out of metal and circuit boards and a heating element. Even if it's a "better" toaster that more closely resembles what the builder had in mind, at that point it's nowhere near as fun.

That’s a really good analogy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
King Dick, desperately coughing out his big monologue about how this isn't the end--BONK

Clint's best plans laid to waste.