Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

PT6A posted:

That FJ wager was bad and she should feel bad!

As were both her daily double bets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
super triggered about betting irl

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
what the gently caress betting was that

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Now I'm wondering how much money Katy would've ended up with if she'd have bet everything on both Daily Doubles and Final Jeopardy.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

DaveWoo posted:

Now I'm wondering how much money Katy would've ended up with if she'd have bet everything on both Daily Doubles and Final Jeopardy.
minus 10% for tithe

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Super glad I'm not the only one that screamed at the television "YOU STUPID loving IDIOT" when her FJ bet was revealed!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

nikosoft posted:

Super glad I'm not the only one that screamed at the television "YOU STUPID loving IDIOT" when her FJ bet was revealed!
It was absolutely inevitable following that first dog poo poo DD wager. Some people just don't think about how to do anything besides buzz in and respond.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I felt bad for her because, despite her clearly knowing plenty and doing really well, her body language was staunchly belying her low self-confidence, with how she kept wincing after every answer, even though she was answering correctly. But yeah, both of us watching booed heavily at her Double Jeopardy wagers.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think the Daily Double bets were appropriate considering how close everyone is and she may not have been particularly confident in them.

Final Jeopardy bet should have been much higher though. That bet was "I hope both of them get it wrong."

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I’m glad that dude hosed up his final bet because his suit was a distractingly bad fit

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

A Typical Goon posted:

I’m glad that dude hosed up his final bet because his suit was a distractingly bad fit

Hey, maybe he goes to the gym and works his traps exclusively and that was the only suit that fit (that's the only way I imagine that suit working out).

I feel bad for the guy, if I'm going into final jeopardy with "Musical Theatre" as the category, I'm gonna probably wager nothing too. He got screwed by the clue being really, really easy.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
did joey have one of his shoulders lowered at some point

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Zesty posted:

I think the Daily Double bets were appropriate considering how close everyone is and she may not have been particularly confident in them.

Final Jeopardy bet should have been much higher though. That bet was "I hope both of them get it wrong."
The second bet was fine. The first bet wasn't even enough to move her into second place, but positioned her to need an additional clue to get into second if she missed it. It just came across as both very risk-averse and not very thoughtful. She should have bet $5 or something if she wasn't confident in the category.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bad final jeopardy betting is easily the worst thing.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Wagering from 2nd or 3rd can be tricky. Wagering from 1st is not. Bet enough to cover a double up by second place. If you lose because you got the question wrong, isn't that a little better than getting it right from the lead and losing anyway?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
so proud of Michigan Mumbler for betting like an adult

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

zakharov posted:

Wagering from 2nd or 3rd can be tricky. Wagering from 1st is not. Bet enough to cover a double up by second place. If you lose because you got the question wrong, isn't that a little better than getting it right from the lead and losing anyway?

Exactly. A lot of people (not necessarily in the thread, this includes people I know) seem to think that you place your wager after you write your answer. FJs have been easy lately, but they can vary wildly in difficulty.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Ok, what inept writer thought the Rays expansion year was 1995?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zakharov posted:

if you're in 3rd and far below 1st and 2nd (who are close to each other) you wager nothing. i've seen people in 3rd piss away a win because they didn't know that.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Island Nation posted:

Ok, what inept writer thought the Rays expansion year was 1995?

I haven't seen the question, but was it written as "Tampa bay was awarded this baseball team in 1995." Even then, I think they were awarded the team in '93?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

if you're in 3rd and far below 1st and 2nd (who are close to each other) you wager nothing. i've seen people in 3rd piss away a win because they didn't know that.
Mutually assured destruction is my favorite category of Jeopardy loss. It's a decent strategy any time you have more money than the difference between first and second place, because if you start from the assumption that a question will have some intrinsic amount of difficulty, the most likely outcomes of FJ are that everyone gets it right or no one gets it right.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 31, 2018

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I haven't seen the question, but was it written as "Tampa bay was awarded this baseball team in 1995." Even then, I think they were awarded the team in '93?

The team was awarded in ‘95 but the clue was about when they started to play.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the rays clue brought to mind the easiest triple stumper i can remember and when i googled it a sports illustrated writer couldn't come up with it either lol

https://twitter.com/BenReiter/status/655164672350531584

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Might be unfair since I’m an Angels fan but I got it :smug:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I can't even name all the baseball teams and even I got that one because "when translated" obviously means a Spanish-named city, and the first one to think of is Los Angeles, then Las Vegas, and I doubt they have a baseball team called The Las Vegas Fields.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I suppose it is fair that the Angels haven't actually been the "Los Angeles Angels" for very long. They were the California Angels for most of their existence and if you only tangentially pay attention (or not at all) to baseball you may not know that they're the LA Angels.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I suppose it is fair that the Angels haven't actually been the "Los Angeles Angels" for very long. They were the California Angels for most of their existence and if you only tangentially pay attention (or not at all) to baseball you may not know that they're the LA Angels.
They were also more recently the Anaheim Angels from 2002-2004 because of their lease agreement with the City of Anaheim. I probably spent 7 or 8 years in there before realizing they had changed it again.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Yeah, the Angels never even occurred to me on that one, because in my head it's still 1993 and they're still the California Angels.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

For some reason I went to the New York Mets aka Metropolitans, which is kind of a synonym for a city. It doesn't really work, but with some fuzzy logic it's close.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If there is no reference to “what plants crave” I will be gravely disappointed!!!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

This was the saddest runaway I can remember

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Yeah, that was a mess. Clues were all over the place in difficulty/obscurity.

PT6A posted:

If there is no reference to “what plants crave” I will be gravely disappointed!!!

But that would involve having a science category on the show, and that would take the place of a much more important category like "Goddamnit, More Clues About Opera", or "19th Century English Authors' Pets".

puppets freak me out fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 7, 2018

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

PT6A posted:

We’d be lucky if they’ve even heard of Idiocracy, much less quote it.

That reminds me, I still have the last 5 Ow, My Balls episodes on DVR.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
What was Alex thinking on Final when he said TR was not a bad guess? His oaths of office were 42 months apart (Norm is 48)

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Edit: hosed up my quote

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 20, 2018

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

A Typical Goon posted:

It had to be a president that took over due to an early death in the 20th century so that limits it to Roosevelt, LBJ and Truman

I thought it could've been Ford for a second, but then I remembered that he was never elected in his own right.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

A Typical Goon posted:

Jeopardy contestants being terrible at sports categories is my favourite thing

It had to be a president that took over due to an early death in the 20th century so that limits it to Roosevelt, LBJ and Truman

Everyone forgets Coolidge which was the next best guess (19 months).

You would think between studying 18th century opera and German philosophy that contestants would learn about baseball and hockey. Vin Scully could read a entire board about the Dodgers with everyone whiffing on them.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Can we just all agree that Cleveland was a shameful guess

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Soothing Vapors posted:

Can we just all agree that Cleveland was a shameful guess

She’s from UCF. History isn’t their strong suit given their ideas on NCAA titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Island Nation posted:

She’s from UCF. History isn’t their strong suit given their ideas on NCAA titles.

HEY!