Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Obsurveyor posted:

Does the difficulty ramp up or is there introductory stuff in BoxVR? For as great as The Walrus' feed for Soundboxing is, they're way too complicated for me just starting out. Soundboxing's UI is absolutely terrible so gently caress scrolling to the beginning of his stuff, 3 at a time, where there might be easier tracks.

Yes. Honestly I like I way better. Soundboxing is fun but people suck at beatmaps or are way too try hard with the stupid switches and things.

There’s very few beatmaps makers I can stand. Walrus has a few tracks I like but mostly even if I know the song, I just don’t enjoy the maps. Mostly people over complicate poo poo or they personally think somethings fine when in reality it don’t fit the song etc. this isn’t about being hard either. For example, https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/cdb60fab-f9ae-11e7-b4ee-0a580a200a37 is a brutally hard song. But it makes sense and every punch is somehow easily part of the actual song. There’s no massive arm swaps for no reason. It’s timed really well, etc.

Check out box. Its was less of a crapshoot if you’ll like a song. It’s way more polished and fun in general. Plus the built in work outs are fun. If you’re into that sort of thing.

Sound boxing is dead to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i like constructive criticism, could you name a couple tracks that you found too hard for the song? I'll even go back and do an alternate slower one. I'm a drummer so a lot of the stuff tends to go quickly because a simple 4/4 beat on a highhat turns into a lot of punches really quickly.

edit: that song looks way harder than my poo poo :) I will say, if you haven't played any of my songs in a while, try again! I think I'm only getting better.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 9, 2018

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I don't think your stuff being hard is entirely your fault. If I just watch the robot in the song, I can see you've got a set of moves that you use but there's absolutely no way to communicate that in-game before it happens and it's not your fault. As a new player, "soundboxing" implied punching to me but you've got arm swings, stepping side-to-side, etc. which is really cool but the game needs a way to indicate those types of moves coming up without just having to watch the robot and memorize everything.

The game itself isn't standing-only(vs room scale) friendly either. You can't reach the pause button and there's no way to turn on a pointer to see where you're pointing. It's virtually impossible to click that thing because you have to get the controller angle just right. Use a drat button Soundboxing.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 9, 2018

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

i like constructive criticism, could you name a couple tracks that you found too hard for the song? I'll even go back and do an alternate slower one. I'm a drummer so a lot of the stuff tends to go quickly because a simple 4/4 beat on a highhat turns into a lot of punches really quickly.

edit: that song looks way harder than my poo poo :) I will say, if you haven't played any of my songs in a while, try again! I think I'm only getting better.

If your really want. I’d gladly go over some sometime with you. Mostly it’s pacing if I remember right. It’s been a couple weeks since I’ve played. Box basically ruined soundboxing for me lol

Hit me up through the channels. :)

The reason that looks harder is the # of notes. Listen to the song a few times, then play it. As a drummer you'll trash that song. It really just looks scary. Don't get me wrong, Its not an easy song, But the reason I linked it is, while its hard, its fair 100%. Theres no ghost notes hiding, Theres no bullshit far left to right switches that make no sense. Theres no stupid cross arms garbage that you'd have to plan 30 seconds in advance.

Thats my gripe with MOST peoples music. Theres always some bullshit somewhere. lol

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 9, 2018

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
no actually that would be great. the only negative feedback i get is people not playing my songs anymore and theres no way to see who started playing a song and never finished it.

i dont see you in the vr goons discord though, thats the only place i could think to look for you

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

no actually that would be great. the only negative feedback i get is people not playing my songs anymore and theres no way to see who started playing a song and never finished it.

i dont see you in the vr goons discord though, thats the only place i could think to look for you

got a steam/discord(id, not server :P)/email?

I'm saved on some of your songs, ironically.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 9, 2018

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EbolaIvory posted:

got a steam/discord(id, not server :P)/email?

I'm saved on some of your songs, ironically.

SA name @ gmail me. We'll link up.

sawalrus#8519

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Got it , Feel free to edit it out.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Any Skyrim mod gurus have a quick answer for me on that recommended list above? Loaded them in Vortex and it's giving me unresolved file conflicts, looks like it wants a load order for the following and I have no idea what to set, not having any luck googling a master list:

HD Road Signs 2k
Optimized Texture for SSE
Realistic Water Two
RUSTIC CLOTHING - Special Edition - 2k
Skyrim Flora Overhaul SE
SMIM SE

(tia!)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

teh_Broseph posted:

Any Skyrim mod gurus have a quick answer for me on that recommended list above? Loaded them in Vortex and it's giving me unresolved file conflicts, looks like it wants a load order for the following and I have no idea what to set, not having any luck googling a master list:

HD Road Signs 2k
Realistic Water Two
Skyrim Flora Overhaul SE
SMIM SE

(tia!)

Does Vortex work like Mod Organizer? If so then you will be over-writing mods and that's OK!

I would go with
Optimized Textures
SMIM
Skyrim Flora Overhaul
HD Road Signs 2k
Realistic Water Two
Rustic Clothing

for your load order.

Also guys Skyrim VR is rad 2 the max. Even if I've played it a billion+ hours, even if its bethesda jank, I still want to get back into it when I'm not playing it.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Get on my level.

I do not have Skyrim VR.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

PenisMonkey posted:

Get on my level.

I do not have Skyrim VR.

You should get Skyrim VR. Bleakfalls Barrow is amazing in VR.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I will when it goes on sale. By that time mods should work pretty well without having to jump through hoops.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Has anybody gone to Blackreach yet?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Finally got around to trying BoxVR, it's certainly a good workout. I keep missing my right-handed upper cuts though. Probably just me being massively malcoordinated.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
this soundboxing chat got me curious what I look like when I'm feelin all cool in the headset groovin out. as with anything in VR it turns out the answer is totally loving retarded lol.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

El Grillo posted:

Finally got around to trying BoxVR, it's certainly a good workout. I keep missing my right-handed upper cuts though. Probably just me being massively malcoordinated.

Naw, the uppercuts are pretty glitchy. Try the beta branch, and turn down latency in the settings.

and post gifs of your dad bod flailing around without shame, it's the best part.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Naw, the uppercuts are pretty glitchy. Try the beta branch, and turn down latency in the settings.

and post gifs of your dad bod flailing around without shame, it's the best part.

I'd disagree with this.
As a new player (To box, Not to music punching games, I'm 50 something on the survival leaderboard), Its fine (imo). They tweaked the sensitivity and you have to be more accurate now. This is from a Rift user, fwiw.

Simply messing with the latency should sort you out if you're having timing issues or songs not mapping correctly.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

teh_Broseph posted:

HD Road Signs 2k
Realistic Water Two
Skyrim Flora Overhaul SE
SMIM SE

(tia!)
Vortex probably has a sort/resolve conflict button somewhere. In mod organizer 2, after you add all your mods (and check the boxes to enable them) you hit this button to do the magic

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I was going to make a little tutorial about Vortex, but I discovered that this guy covers everything very well:

Playlist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9xKao_u30

Unresolved file conflicts are definitely going to happen. You will have to choose the load order for files. The thing that loads LAST is what you will see in your game. In the "MODS" section, the red lightning bolt under the "Dependencies" column will let you choose load order.

You have a couple options, like Load Before and Load After. I would personally recommend that you only set "Load After" options EXCEPT for your base texture pack. Like, if you are using "Optimized Texture for SSE", set only that to "Load Before" for every single conflicting mod. If you are using "Skyrim 2017" textures, have that be "Load Before". The reason I say this is because you can create circular dependencies in Vortex. If mods A and B conflict, you could say A loads before B, and B loads before A. To avoid this, set your base texture pack to "Load Before" everything else, then only use "Load After" rules for all your other mods.

Say, for example, that you installed three mods:
Realistic Water Two
Majestic Mountains

All three of those will have conflicts. Both "Realistic Water Two" and "Majestic Mountains" will conflict with "Optimized Texture for SSE". Likewise, both "Realistic Water Two" and "Majestic Mountains" conflict with each other.

Set "Optimized Texture for SSE" to "Load Before" both of the other mods. That will solve any conflict with your base texture pack, allowing every mod to use its own textures. Next, the description page for Majestic Mountains says that if you are using Realistic Water Two, you should have Majestic Mountains overwrite it. So go into "Majestic Mountains" and set it to "Load After" Realistic Water Two. All of the conflicts will now be resolved. If you look at the "Realistic Water Two" dependencies, you will see that both conflicts have a white information block on it that says that the other mod has a rule targeting that conflict. That means the conflict has been resolved by the other mod.

Once all the red lightning bolts turned green, you are good to go. Click the "Deploy Mods" button to push them to your game.

Also, you may need to sort your "PLUGINS" page. Click the "Load Order" column to sort the list by load order, then click "Sort now" at the top. Your plugins should sort fine, but sometimes you may need to solve problems. For example, sometimes it may order a patch incorrectly. Let's say that the "Realistic Water Two LOD Patch" is being loaded before "Realistic Water Two". Find "RWT LOD Fix.esp" in the list and click and drag the icon in the dependencies column. Drag it to "RealisticWaterTwo.esp" and let go. This will make "RWT LOD Fix.esp" into a child of "RealisticWaterTwo.esp". Now, when you click the "Sort now" button, the LOD fix should load AFTER the basic plugin.

Usually addons will tell you if they need to be loaded after something else. And always load a patch after the base files. For the most part you won't have to worry about plugin ordering.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Does vortex use LOOT to do auto-sorting? e: google says yes. Auto-sort solves like 99% of problems, you really shouldn't have to mess around with forcing 'load before' and 'load after' just hit da button

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 10, 2018

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What's the best video card out right now for VR folks, in the $800 range?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

smoobles posted:

If I were you I'd either wait a month or two for the new stuff to hit, or see if you can haggle someone down to $800 for a used mining 1080ti (EVGA/MSI/Asus so it has transferable warranty) who needs to fire-sale them in a hurry since they don't earn poo poo anymore.

Edit: the one other hat trick you could potentially pull off is to buy this 1080ti from NewEgg for $950: https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E1...br5g011rh100053

If a better card releases in 90 days, you can mail that one in and upgrade for free or the difference with EVGA step-up program.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 10, 2018

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

smoobles posted:

A used 1080ti off ebay since some of the cryptocurrency market has crashed.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

smoobles posted:

Best Buys, and a few other retailers are selling cards again for MSRP.

so a 1080ti. Or wait for the new poo poo to drop.

Zero VGS posted:

or see if you can haggle someone down to $800 for a used mining 1080ti (EVGA/MSI/Asus so it has transferable warranty)

You can pay 900(or less) for one NEW right now. No sense in haggling some mined card down when your'e only saving a hundred bucks and losing warranty months. IMO

EDIT: Skyrim VR question. I want to install graphics mods. I don't really wanna mess with the game play too much. Maybe that one mod that stops the swords and poo poo from dropping when you get hit, but outside of that. Just graphics upgrades.

Anyone recommend just that? Graphic upgrades?

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 10, 2018

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Anyone have any issues with sound just not working in Skyrim? Played for hours today and then went back to play again to night and just...nothing. No changes to mods or anything either. Ideas?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

On Terra Firma posted:

Anyone have any issues with sound just not working in Skyrim? Played for hours today and then went back to play again to night and just...nothing. No changes to mods or anything either. Ideas?

Double check that steamVR isnt swapping your audio to something else. Mine likes to once in a while throw it at my optical something that I don't use.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in the Vive Pro after watching NerdCubed go over it. It addresses drat near all of the problems I have with the current Vive, and the better screen should help in e.g. E:D.

But eight hundred more US dollars.

Aaargh.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Ciaphas posted:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in the Vive Pro after watching NerdCubed go over it. It addresses drat near all of the problems I have with the current Vive, and the better screen should help in e.g. E:D.

Aaargh.
I upgraded to one and it was game-changing. Not only is there zero screen dooring anymore, but the lighter weight is substantially noticeable (and appreciated). I still feel crazy paying that much though.

Edit: Also you'd better have a 1080ti for the Pro :(

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

Double check that steamVR isnt swapping your audio to something else. Mine likes to once in a while throw it at my optical something that I don't use.

Other games as well as the menu for SteamVR work fine. It's just Skyrim. Wasn't sure if a patch today broke something.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Less Fat Luke posted:

I upgraded to one and it was game-changing. Not only is there zero screen dooring anymore, but the lighter weight is substantially noticeable (and appreciated). I still feel crazy paying that much though.

Edit: Also you'd better have a 1080ti for the Pro :(

I do in fact have a 1080ti. That's probably the only reason the temptation has taken hold: I know I can run it.

Aaaaa. Now I'm in that horribly capitalistic crisis state where I either don't buy it and regret not having it or buy it and regret spending that much goddamn money.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

The Walrus posted:

this soundboxing chat got me curious what I look like when I'm feelin all cool in the headset groovin out. as with anything in VR it turns out the answer is totally loving retarded lol.

more gifs pls

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Don’t even think about trying it robot. You’ll break your back. Again.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Sex Robot posted:

more gifs pls

:D

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Aaargh.

I've got a Samsung Odyssey, and I can assure you that while the resolution bump is definitely really nice, it's honestly not a game changer and it's not a big deal to go back to your lower res headset. I use it if I'm doing BigScreen or something and happily use my Rift the rest of the time.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Nalin posted:

I was going to make a little tutorial about Vortex

Thanks for the help y'all! I was gonna just say screw it and let the mods load however but I think I have the ordering stuff OK now and all ready to fire it up tomorrow! then have it crash and go back to just playing Overwatch or whatever

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My Vive headset arrived in the mail!

...Right before I have to go to work :negative:.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My Vive headset arrived in the mail!

...Right before I have to go to work :negative:.

My rift arrived the day all rifts broke. I feel your pain.

PenisMonkey posted:

Don’t even think about trying it robot. You’ll break your back. Again.

Actually much to my joy my mobility issues have impeded my VR experience much less than I thought it would. There has been a few i stances where I've had to errr in the side of caution but so far my VR gamaing experince has been rich and fulfilling.

Sex Robot fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 10, 2018

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Bhodi posted:

Does vortex use LOOT to do auto-sorting? e: google says yes. Auto-sort solves like 99% of problems, you really shouldn't have to mess around with forcing 'load before' and 'load after' just hit da button

The load before and after stuff was about which loose files to load. Like if you installed two texture packs and both changed the texture of a rock, you can choose which one loads last so you can use that texture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Aaargh.
hope you're playing a lot of knockout league and thrill of the fight