Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Pirates shouldn't happen for gestalt intelligences, or should have a genesis other than 'some of your people stole some ships and are now attacking you and only you'. You're a hive/networked mind who's individual units are literally incapable of surviving outside your influence but they're perfectly capable of wandering off and forming small pirate bands. :argh:

Maybe they should be wandering fleets. Like the Tiyanki but aggressive, and they only spawn once empires get big enough, and they also grow as the game goes on. Just not as powerful as marauder fleets.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

best 12 pop world ever

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

best 12 pop world ever

Only way that'd be better is if it had Wild Storms to give it +20% energy credits

Or, you know, 20+ tiles

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Senor Dog posted:

Alternate suggestion: restart

I did, then I said gently caress it and loaded up the auto-save and let's see how far this gets me.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

3 DONG HORSE posted:

best 12 pop world ever

I just unlocked resource replicators in my ironman game and I'm insanely jealous.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

3 DONG HORSE posted:

best 12 pop world ever

The problem I'm having is the tile layout is terrible for placing your main building.

For iospace, consider filling out the discovery tree to cash in on the "tech gives 3 months unity" and grab the +10% research speed perk. As soon as you unlock habitats through the voidborn perk you can really stack up your space, but your limited mineral income is going to be painful (slow expansion through habitats, can't afford to really replace fleet losses once you break out).

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

ZypherIM posted:

The problem I'm having is the tile layout is terrible for placing your main building.

I think dropping it on the 2 mineral tile might be optimal as the extra adjacency is worth 3 minerals, but if the alien oets weren’t ther or weren’t useful...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Put it on the one society research imo. It's not like you're going to be building labs on this world anyway.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jabor posted:

Put it on the one society research imo. It's not like you're going to be building labs on this world anyway.

This. Then drop a Paradise dome on the 3 food tile, an energy grid/nexus on the blank tile below, and a unity building on the blank square bottom middle. Everything else just match building to tile.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So I'm having another go at vassalizing my neighbor who's in a massive federation. Last time it became a total war because I had a planet-shielder, and then the federation was at war for like fifty years so I couldn't demand vassalization. In the meantime I got a couple other vassals out of some smaller federations in the galaxy, so I know how these things are supposed to go down now.

Except after I declared war I found there was a -6000 for unoccupied poo poo I had to overcome. This is weird, because I don't have a single claim on anyone in the federation. And I did this deal a couple times before, so I know I don't need to occupy anything specific for a vassalization war.

Turns out one of my lovely vassals was the remnant of an empire that the federation I was fighting mostly conquered ages ago. This means it had claims on like a hundred systems.

What's more, my lovely vassal has claims on half of the good empire I want to vassalize. There is no way for me to win this war, except to conquer half the galaxy for my lovely vassal, and in the process cripple the vassal I actually wanted to keep around because they were cool guys.

I'm really beginning to think the game just wants me to bust out the planet killer again and forget all this indirect rule nonsense.

I'm going to have to load up a game from before the war to tag switch to my vassals and renounce all their claims if I want to subjugate this one guy.

Edit: Oh god drat it, I cheated to make my vassals renounce all their claims... but they started making claims again after the war started. Why am I obliged to conquer things on behalf of my vassals when I'm using an entirely unrelated war goal? I've got to check system by system to figure out what my vassals claims even are.

I thought vassals might be more be a more straightforward way than a federation of controlling large areas, but there are definitely some awkward kinks with them too.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 10, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you want a vassal, just total war conquer the area then make one.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I grabbed the Origin Civics mod and realised something interesting: Dyson Engineers (start in a system with no hyperlanes, but you get a 25% dyson sphere and a Gateway Construction Site) and Voidborne (your species' habitability preference is set to Habitats, you can build cheap 6-space habitats that can later be upgraded, and also ships and starbase stuff is cheaper) are not mutually exclusive origin civics. So I combined that with the militant, xenophobic race I decided to try playing and set my third civic as Barbaric Despoilers. And.. basically I'm playing a marauder clan that's going to suddenly explode out into the galaxy once I get this gateway online.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Black Pants posted:

Pirates shouldn't happen for gestalt intelligences, or should have a genesis other than 'some of your people stole some ships and are now attacking you and only you'. You're a hive/networked mind who's individual units are literally incapable of surviving outside your influence but they're perfectly capable of wandering off and forming small pirate bands. :argh:
Hive mind pirates have two kinds of flavour text: Mutant drones that have kind of but not entirely broken away from the hive, and (post first contact) aliens from other empires.

It'd be neat if the former gave you a pittance of society research from the mutant corpses (engineering for the robot version).

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Eiba posted:

Turns out one of my lovely vassals was the remnant of an empire that the federation I was fighting mostly conquered ages ago. This means it had claims on like a hundred systems.

What's more, my lovely vassal has claims on half of the good empire I want to vassalize. There is no way for me to win this war, except to conquer half the galaxy for my lovely vassal, and in the process cripple the vassal I actually wanted to keep around because they were cool guys.

That actually sounds kind of cool though, you have some forgotten rump state that comes out of obscurity with a barrage of technicalities and backroom political bullshit to position itself as the resurrection of space-Rome.

It adds a sense of history to the galaxy!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Anyone know if the crisis can strike while the war in heaven is still going on? I've been all but destroyed, and I'm trying to decide whether to observe the last few years or not.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Eiba posted:

Integrate the lovely vassal then kick them out again.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 10, 2018

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Black Pants posted:

Pirates shouldn't happen for gestalt intelligences, or should have a genesis other than 'some of your people stole some ships and are now attacking you and only you'.

Machine Intelligences do have different flavor text, though - a bunch of drones had corrupted programing and now consider themselves independent and hostile to you. Which, y'know, not impossible, given that for a machine intelligence "leaders" are semi-autonomous to begin with, some kind of transcription error causing a handful of low-level units to escalate to full independence and/or mistakenly designating the machine intelligence as hostile is within the bounds of reason.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tomn posted:

Machine Intelligences do have different flavor text, though - a bunch of drones had corrupted programing and now consider themselves independent and hostile to you. Which, y'know, not impossible, given that for a machine intelligence "leaders" are semi-autonomous to begin with, some kind of transcription error causing a handful of low-level units to escalate to full independence and/or mistakenly designating the machine intelligence as hostile is within the bounds of reason.

For organic hive minds it's a random mutation that lets them be semi-autonomous but would still die if they go too far.

There is also a flavor text for assorted outcasts from the non gestalt empires settling near your borders to raid.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tomn posted:

Machine Intelligences do have different flavor text, though - a bunch of drones had corrupted programing and now consider themselves independent and hostile to you.

Shugojin posted:

For organic hive minds it's a random mutation that lets them be semi-autonomous but would still die if they go too far.
I wish this had a chance to escalate to the stage where they become an actual empire.

Stage 1) current pirate mechanics.
Stage 2) unattended pirates adjacent to empty system's can spawn additional pirate bases.
Stage 3) once they hit a certain critical mass they spawn a new empire if they have a planet in their space or go full marauder if not.

Lot of effort for a mechanic that players would rarely if ever trigger though.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

just started a new game - my first as a determined exterminator. Make a new sector comprised of their former holdings, and ... it's generating zero energy.

It has energy buildings - why is the sector generating zero energy, where is that energy going?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

tithin posted:

just started a new game - my first as a determined exterminator. Make a new sector comprised of their former holdings, and ... it's generating zero energy.

It has energy buildings - why is the sector generating zero energy, where is that energy going?

The numbers to the left is what YOU are getting from the sector's surplus production, and the sector is currently running at a -17 energy deficit. Ergo you get nothing.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

McSpanky posted:

Or are you talking about the ancient pirate enclave with the Old Guard galleon (that really should break the back of piracy once you get big enough to snuff it)?

Is it possible to always make that system have a fixed name? If not, that system has a station, right? Why isn't it named Space Tortuga

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

AG3 posted:

The numbers to the left is what YOU are getting from the sector's surplus production, and the sector is currently running at a -17 energy deficit. Ergo you get nothing.

It's worth noting that the sector's deficit includes the money you're taxing them so often reducing their energy tax will put them into positive - although in this case since you're getting zero from tax then setting tax to zero won't do anything

*edit* humz, or maybe I'm mistaken vvv

Chalks fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 10, 2018

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Chalks posted:

It's worth noting that the sector's deficit includes the money you're taxing them so often reducing their energy tax will put them into positive - although in this case since you're getting zero from tax then setting tax to zero won't do anything

This wasn't the case in my previous game. No matter how I adjusted the tax slider on a sector running a ~400 energy deficit (matter replicators), no change was made to either what I got (which was 0) or their deficit.

*Edit*

Chalks posted:

*edit* humz, or maybe I'm mistaken vvv

Oh wait, I think I misunderstood your post. If the tax itself is the reason the budget going negative, then yeah, I guess lowering the tax would work, but as we both noted, that doesn't seem to be the case since the amount of money gained from the tax is zero in the first place.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 10, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Fuligin posted:

Anyone know if the crisis can strike while the war in heaven is still going on? I've been all but destroyed, and I'm trying to decide whether to observe the last few years or not.

Nothing in the crisis event scripting says it can't, so....

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Fuligin posted:

Yes. I just lost from two FE's on my north and south border deciding to duke it out and me getting wrapped up in it, then the Prethoryn Scourge decided to join the party on my eastern rim and wiped out my industrial centers before I could safely disengage.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah i wish pirates actually had a budget and mechanics and were more like Vikings in CK2 getting income and mana from raiding and could eventually form a proper empire if they do well enough.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Fuligin posted:

Yes, yes it can. Getting the Contingency to fire while a War in Heaven is raging was pretty much how my last playthrough descended into chaos and fire.

The Cybrex appeared and never left their initial system. "GREETINGS ORGANICS! We're here to hel... uh... stand by."

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Lum_ posted:

Yes, yes it can. Getting the Contingency to fire while a War in Heaven is raging was pretty much how my last playthrough descended into chaos and fire.

The Cybrex appeared and never left their initial system. "GREETINGS ORGANICS! We're here to hel... uh... stand by."

"We're here to watch you eat poo poo and laugh about it, it's very funny in Cybrex culture"

*shot of droids chasing pops around a planet to funny music*

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

pmchem posted:

It's the year 2415 in my game and I expect the endgame crisis to happen anytime. I am the unquestioned megapower in the galaxy, but I am playing peaceful superpower and never went to war.

The rest of the galaxy is largely split between two dumbass federations, which are at war with each other, and a dumbass hegemon who jumps in to things for fun. But they all love me!

How do I get them to stop warring with each other so that everyone can fight the endgame crisis? Without, you know, attacking them all myself?

Once the crisis actually hits and they start getting eaten, everyone tends to be way more willing to work together

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Lum_ posted:

In my last game the Ancient Caretakers woke up with the Contingency...and then declared war on me. That was great (apparently it's a 1/3 chance, but I hadn't seen it before).

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Yeah, there's a chance they can become 'berserk' when a crisis fires which is why I make it my mission to overpower them as soon as possible if I start nearby. They also have 3 ring worlds for you to use. Why wouldn't you want that?

I also find FEs/AEs a bit of a mixed bag lately. They are normally not any more powerful than me by the time they wake up but that could just be from me playing with the settings. They also seem a lot more timid, except for the xenophobes who are just suicidially stupid. You'd think they learn after I swept their capital system clean of life and crushed their fleets but no, every ten years they come back for more like clockwork.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The prethoryn invaded square in the middle of the fanatical purifier empire. So far my federation, the only other major power in the galaxy, hasn't bothered to help. In part this is because we can't get to the swarm on the other side of purifier space. I'm trying to decide if I should declare war on the purifiers once they're weak enough, or if I should wait until the scourge push to my stupidly heavily fortified border chokepoints.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Yeah, there's a chance they can become 'berserk' when a crisis fires which is why I make it my mission to overpower them as soon as possible if I start nearby.

Well they can only go berserk if you get the Contingency, but of course you won't know which crisis you'll get until it's too late to wipe them out.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm curious, what could cause a Keepers of Knowledge fallen empire (not awakened) to repeatedly declare war on an AI empire that's halfway across the galaxy from them? Because that happened in the last game I played.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Black Pants posted:

I'm curious, what could cause a Keepers of Knowledge fallen empire (not awakened) to repeatedly declare war on an AI empire that's halfway across the galaxy from them? Because that happened in the last game I played.
Wormhole to said AI empire - what kind of AI empire were the Keepers of Knowledge attacking?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Wormhole to said AI empire - what kind of AI empire were the Keepers of Knowledge attacking?

Yeah most likely this. I've seen it happen in some of my games. Funny enough, thanks to some quirk of the WE system the FE kept having to peace out and suffer humiliation :v:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Arrath posted:

Yeah most likely this. I've seen it happen in some of my games. Funny enough, thanks to some quirk of the WE system the FE kept having to peace out and suffer humiliation :v:

As I understand it, there's actually a weird text bug that means that even when the FE wins a war, the info on the humiliation effect will say the FE is being humiliated, not the target.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 10, 2018

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

As I understand it, there's actually a weird text bug that means that even when the FE wins a war, the info on the humiliation effect will say the FE is being humiliated, not the target.

Ooooh, that makes a lot more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What I've been repeatedly seeing with FE's:
-They can be quite aggressive will still fallen, to the point of taking and holding huge territories
-Go absolutely nuts when a great khan happens, march across the galaxy to mercilessly attack until one of them is destroyed.
-Once they awaken, not have much of a fleet and never build one.
-Once they awaken, have a huge fleet but never go to war or demand vassalization of anyone.
-Generally sit around and do nothing and feel broken/stuck.