Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

G-Spot Run posted:

I guess it's good that that they maintain their own little language then as it is apparently very effective fuckwit signalling.

LOL. I was going to say, it also goes a little bit further than immature lack of empathy, for the very smart 14 year olds have been reading their Ayn Rand bibles and swotting up on their Corporatism For Neoliberals (a fake textbook), and have the same fervour about zero sum game rational acting the way a couple of generations earlier would have discussed the finer points of Engels Principles of Communism (an actual book). Since, therefore only Rational Actors exist it follows that SJW's aren't demonstrating some form of altruism but appealing to reinforcements to come and destroy the noble and clever MRAs. But 'fuckwit signalling' is much shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yeah people have started calling me a soy boy and a race traitor and stuff on Facebook so I had to block all those weirdos I did a uni assignment with that one time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Anidav posted:

Yeah people have started calling me a soy boy and a race traitor and stuff on the internal newscorp chat.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
There is an entire vocabulary dedicated to othering political opponents so you can engage with them as an avatar of a concept rather than as an individual with a point. You don't have to listen to a soyboy spouting SJW virtue signalling, because their point is inherently invalid compared to a person saying "hey maybe you should not poo poo on trans people just for being trans".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I got called a soyboy over and over because I said motorcycle owners like me are blow hard fuckheads and embarassing to hang out with until I cracked this guy and he said he was going to have some Harley owners rape me which doesn't sound very hetero idk

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Non alt right versions of this would be : Ivory tower intellectuals, latte sipping leftists, inner city elites and chuds.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
so soy boy is the new 'cuck'?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I hate the Alt Right. Their language affects all my friends and all they had to do was hang out on Twitch Chat.

Cuckcuckcuckcuck lelelelelelelelel kekekek

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
A kind poster reminded me in PMs that I could use Skype to call Centrelink (long ago you couldn't use Skype to call those kinds of numbers) and I managed to fix everything up on a call that way. Thanks for all the replies. I have to say I've always had good experiences with the actual people that work at Centrelink, it's just all the systems in place that add unnecessary pain to the process.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
:sever:

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

A friend of a friend likes to eat at a restaurant called Mr Soy Boy up in Cairns and then post about on facebook. Imagine my surprise when people started getting their logo as an avatar in GBS

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

MysticalMachineGun posted:

UBI would absolutely remove the pension, so you could theoretically say super is no longer needed as well. People can just save for retirement under their own steam.

That's kinda what I figured.

JBP posted:

I don't think so. Why would you scrap mandatory, "self funded" retirement for work? It's just asking for a UBI retirement class and a non ubi class (rich fatsos).

Isn't that's pretty much what we have now anyway? Anyone that works in high paying jobs gets a super that can actually support them while everyone else is hosed.

I would assume that any UBI would be high enough to live off through retirement and that anyone who manages to save enough during their working life would have a savings/investment income that would mean that they aren't getting the full UBI anyway. So that could help even out.

But I do see your point, even with a UBI, if you aren't in a position to save money while you are working you get comparatively screwed when you retire. Maybe the UBI should have a built in super component (but this feels like it kinda defeats the whole simplicity of a UBI)? Or you just keep super but scrap all the tax concessions it gets? I just kinda figured that being able to scrap super would be a pretty big selling point to win over businesses (while also really pissing off the super industry :v:)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Periphery posted:

That's kinda what I figured.

Isn't that's pretty much what we have now anyway? Anyone that works in high paying jobs gets a super that can actually support them while everyone else is hosed.

I would assume that any UBI would be high enough to live off through retirement and that anyone who manages to save enough during their working life would have a savings/investment income that would mean that they aren't getting the full UBI anyway. So that could help even out.

But I do see your point, even with a UBI, if you aren't in a position to save money while you are working you get comparatively screwed when you retire. Maybe the UBI should have a built in super component (but this feels like it kinda defeats the whole simplicity of a UBI)? Or you just keep super but scrap all the tax concessions it gets? I just kinda figured that being able to scrap super would be a pretty big selling point to win over businesses (while also really pissing off the super industry :v:)

Without even thinking about the billions of dollars in super and the kind of nightmare creature that industry could become if pushed, I reckon UBI just wouldn't give people much bigger incomes to save anyway. It would stop people being on the bones of their arse you'd hope, but you're still working to top up you income. I suppose taking the guess work out of retirees claiming the pension or being self funded might do it, but I don't think taking away people's ability to earn super is a good thing since companies pay for it. You'd imagine UBI would relieve that super burden somewhat.

My grand mental plan for super would be that the company contributes 20% for workers earning under 50k and it slides back to nothing mandatory as you reach a "worker" on idk say $500k

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
Ubi would guve the same no matter the age. Its the U.

Any income would be taxed to pay for it. Wages, rents and profits. The preferenyial tax treatments for super would need to be lokked at. I imagine any payments from the fund would be taxed as income.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

JBP posted:

Without even thinking about the billions of dollars in super and the kind of nightmare creature that industry could become if pushed, I reckon UBI just wouldn't give people much bigger incomes to save anyway. It would stop people being on the bones of their arse you'd hope, but you're still working to top up you income. I suppose taking the guess work out of retirees claiming the pension or being self funded might do it, but I don't think taking away people's ability to earn super is a good thing since companies pay for it. You'd imagine UBI would relieve that super burden somewhat.

My grand mental plan for super would be that the company contributes 20% for workers earning under 50k and it slides back to nothing mandatory as you reach a "worker" on idk say $500k

Yeah, it's probably not worth picking the fight with the super industry and pensioners when business seems to have mostly accepted it and pays for it.

I do like your idea of super. One thing I've always thought about super is that a large % of it should just go into a government infrastructure fund that is used to fund nation building projects and pays out a pretty much guaranteed return like a government bond would. Essentially force it into generating assets for the whole community at the same time as paying for peoples retirement. Of course I haven't thought about the complexities and implications of that too much - beyond the obvious risk that all our politicians are giant idiots and will spend it on the worst possible poo poo.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Periphery posted:

Yeah, it's probably not worth picking the fight with the super industry and pensioners when business seems to have mostly accepted it and pays for it.

I do like your idea of super. One thing I've always thought about super is that a large % of it should just go into a government infrastructure fund that is used to fund nation building projects and pays out a pretty much guaranteed return like a government bond would. Essentially force it into generating assets for the whole community at the same time as paying for peoples retirement. Of course I haven't thought about the complexities and implications of that too much - beyond the obvious risk that all our politicians are giant idiots and will spend it on the worst possible poo poo.

That’s not a risk, it’s a guarantee.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

March them right into that sea.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Before Times posted:

It's pretty new. I think it's more specific.

The impression I get is that "soy boy" is a male who is subservient to feminists. Kept, if you like. Seeking a nod from them.

But I've yet to see it IN REAL LIFE so who knows. The term might not take off.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The Before Times posted:

yes

it stems from the well-researched and peer reviewed scientific studies such as that surmise eating soy products increases estrogen in men leading to feminine traits and behaviour due to lack of manly testosterone

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Want an idea of how popular Dutton is?
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/983605439236489216

Okay sure, but that includes a bunch of left-wing voters who obviously prefer Turnbull over the others. What if you remove them?
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/983605722704314369

People tend to support the current leader because they're the leader. What if you take out Turnbull as an option, surely some of those Turnbull supporters would have Dutton as a second choice.
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/983606172572835840

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Knobb Manwich posted:

yes

it stems from the well-researched and peer reviewed scientific studies such as that surmise eating soy products increases estrogen in men leading to feminine traits and behaviour due to lack of manly testosterone

the brain pills that alex jones sells are made of soy

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

HBomberguy has a few hilarious videos about soy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8dfiDeJeDU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/MitchellToy/status/983570589444009984?s=19

:madmax:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Would vote for Buck Shorten (Lifespan of his enemies)

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

He'd win the election in a landslide if that were his chosen hair style.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Never forget:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

TheMightyHandful posted:

this is fine.jpg

That's an evil twist and then to brag about it like it isnt evil

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Want an idea of how popular Dutton is?
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/983605439236489216

Okay sure, but that includes a bunch of left-wing voters who obviously prefer Turnbull over the others. What if you remove them?
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/983605722704314369

People tend to support the current leader because they're the leader. What if you take out Turnbull as an option, surely some of those Turnbull supporters would have Dutton as a second choice.
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/983606172572835840

For full context, the Guardian reports Someone Else as the most popular candidate behind Turnbull and Julie Bishop, or Bishop and Abbott if Turnbull is excluded:

Also, Futuresight, I'm glad you got sorted. As with most things, actually getting to the person who can help is the hard part.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Those 1% of greens who picked Dutton... :troll:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Huh, I thought Morrison would've been more popular with the LNP.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Anidav posted:

Those 1% of greens who picked Dutton... :troll:

I can’t believe only 1% of greens voters are accelerationists with a death wish

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I can’t believe only 1% of greens voters are accelerationists with a death wish

Or people who played SPACEPLAN and determined that potatoes are the future.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/09/why-liddell-is-likely-to-close-in-2022-and-why-you-shouldnt-care?CMP=share_btn_tw

quote:

What JAAACK might not know, or care to know, is that two Australian attempts to build coal power stations already failed this decade.

After blowing through $188m in grants, cost estimates for a small carbon capture and storage coal power station in Queensland ballooned to $6.9bn. In 2011 the project, aptly named ZeroGen, was mercifully taken out the back and shot.

A proposed Latrobe Valley power station was allocated 1bn tonnes of coal in 2002, and despite securing grants of $150m, muddled along before the project, HRL Dual Gas, finally fell over in 2015.

A new coal power project would hang as an albatross around the neck of the commissioning party. For at least three protest-filled terms of government, the project would become a focal point for a “next-level” Adani-style protest movement – all before the plant generated its first, expensive, polluting kilowatt-hour. Not going to happen.

More at the link, which I've linked because there are a couple of nice pictures and a lovely graph.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

That's some pretty good fear based advertising.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

Periphery posted:

(but this feels like it kinda defeats the whole simplicity of a UBI)

UBI is not simple. It’s actually the complete opposite. You have to balance tax to pay for the system whilst maintaining a large working population. Then you need to actively promote working through the system to save on the large population that simply would not work.

Read into the Finland model and the modifications they’ve made since its introduction.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

That's an evil twist and then to brag about it like it isnt evil

It’s a psychological trick. The long term tenant clearly wanted the property cheap and appeared to be happy to wait. The moment competition is introduced, the tenant bought it. The estate agent is just pointing out that he worked out how to benefit his client best; this is rule number 6 of being an estate agent in NSW.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Someone is leaking again.

quote:

EXCLUSIVE: Proposal to cut migration rate discussed in 2016

8min

Where did the Immigration policy idea come from? If It wasn’t taken to Cabinet, ERC, NSC or even a budget subcommittee, then where?

Sources have told Sky News that a proposal to cut Australia’s migration intake was discussed at a number of “policy development meetings” in late 2016 and early 2017 at the behest of Peter Dutton.

The proposal to cut migration didn’t make it to Cabinet but was “analysed” by the Immigration Department and “was debated and discussed by relevant ministers including the Treasurer and Social Services Minister”.

Advice was provided to Minister Dutton during several meetings in late 2016 and early 2017. There was an inaugural meeting in Brisbane in 2016 where the “policy seed was planted”.

Throughout 2016 that policy was developed by the Department of Immigration and refined as discussions with Minister Dutton took place at various times and locations.

One source says “this wasn’t a quick fire idea, discussion and rejection”.

Another said “it wasn’t a fleeting idea that disappeared the next day”.

“In 2016 a spectrum of policy issues were canvassed. This reduction (20,000) of the migration program was one of them”.

“Various policies were canvassed. Some policies we continued with, some died off due to either lack of interest or being too difficult, but the reduction of the program stayed the course and was around for a long time before it was axed due cost and intrapartisan politics”

“The proposal was knocked back ultimately because it would have negatively affected the budget”.

Sky News was also told there was “a menu of policy options discussed with Minister Dutton” in what could be termed ‘policy development meetings’.

The issues discussed in these meetings and later implemented included the welfare entitlement reduction for temporary protection visa holders, tightened Citizenship eligibility criteria, and other operational strategies.

Sources say the Prime Minister was not present in these ‘policy development meetings.’

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_5767403691001

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Knobb Manwich posted:

Huh, I thought Morrison would've been more popular with the LNP.

He was never that popular to begin with and then he disappointed his main group of supporters by throwing his lot behind Turnbull and he hasn't picked up any new supporters because he's a poo poo treasurer.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Sussan Ley good????

https://twitter.com/sussanley/status/983597484973875200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

This but refugees

• Locked thread