Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Lightning Returns suffers for being linked to the rest of FF13. I think it would be better if it were a standalone game about a misanthropic angel saving the souls of humans she didn't especially care for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Dr Snofeld posted:

Lightning Returns suffers for being linked to the rest of FF13. I think it would be better if it were a standalone game about a misanthropic angel saving the souls of humans she didn't especially care for.

Isn't that essentially Bayonetta?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Max Payne 3 gives you more bullets/painkillers if you keep dying at the same segment when you reload and I appreciate that as it kept me from getting frustrated as I murdered scores of Brazilians.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

oldpainless posted:

scores of Brazilians.

That's called brazillions

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

nice

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Agent355 posted:

This game is so good. I heard goons talking about it all the time but basically nobody else, I bought it a few weeks ago and beat it in 2 sittings.

Hellblade is amazing I got through the second play of this last weekend, showing it to some friends who I used to play games with. It took like 5 hours since I knew all the puzzles (took about 8 hours the first time through.) It is visually amazing, and the whole concept and story is better at what it does than any other game I've played. And it ends with one of my favorite songs by a band I never would have expected to find in a video game, and perfectly fits with the theme of the game. The only thing I can say bad about it is the combat system isn't great, but it's such a small thing in respect to everything else that I don't care. Everyone should play it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My only complaint with Hellblade is it ends with a very abrupt and distasteful SEE YOU IN THE SEQUEL!!" rather than any kind of proper ending to the story, because they want a franchise. It's still an amazing game and well worth experiencing though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My only complaint with Hellblade is it ends with a very abrupt and distasteful SEE YOU IN THE SEQUEL!!" rather than any kind of proper ending to the story, because they want a franchise. It's still an amazing game and well worth experiencing though.

It does? I didn't get that at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

glad she is dead posted:

It does? I didn't get that at all.

How else can you take "Welp that's done, I have another story to tell, byeeeee!"?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you should rewatch that last scene. When Senua says "we have another story to tell" it doesn't mean "stay tuned for more DLC," it's a direct response to the narrator who has been recalling her past throughout the game. She's leaving that voice and its past trauma behind, and moving on with her life.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

I think you should rewatch that last scene. When Senua says "we have another story to tell" it doesn't mean "stay tuned for more DLC," it's a direct response to the narrator who has been recalling her past throughout the game. She's leaving that voice and its past trauma behind, and moving on with her life.

In the game named Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice? That is not a title leaning on a single release, that is a series hoping to happen. It's also very clear on expecting you to still follow her next story, the only thing left behind is the narrator.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Neddy has issues with games and media that doesn't work with his view of how it should work.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Yeah I don't follow. If a sequel is announced within five years then color me surprised, but that's totally not what I got from the final scene. The game ends exactly where it needs to, how it needs to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah I don't follow. If a sequel is announced within five years then color me surprised, but that's totally not what I got from the final scene. The game ends exactly where it needs to, how it needs to.

Okay, so what exactly doesn't mean "see you in the sequel" from the lines "come with us, we have another story to tell" and "go with her, now will be your story to witness?", both which are directly addressed to the player?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's just closing off a simple thematic loop with the narrator-as-voice framing device, mirroring some of the same exact language she uses when she introduces the player character at the very start of the game. The narrator is an amalgamation of Senua's remembered past traumas, and her fading to pass on the story to the player in the present symbolizes Senua's growth and reaffirmation to live in that moment.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay, so what exactly doesn't mean "see you in the sequel" from the lines "come with us, we have another story to tell" and "go with her, now will be your story to witness?", both which are directly addressed to the player?

I took those lines to mean that Senua is moving past her breakdown, and an encouragement for the player to take care of their own mental health..

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

glad she is dead posted:

I took those lines to mean that Senua is moving past her breakdown, and an encouragement for the player to take care of their own mental health..

The telling point is the game's name, though I by no means intend to disparage any actual encouragement it gives to people with their own mental health issues. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is not a story title. It is a title hoping for a franchise of Hellblade: Senua's Sequels. So being told "come for another story" winds up being pretty on the nose.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The telling point is the game's name, though I by no means intend to disparage any actual encouragement it gives to people with their own mental health issues. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is not a story title. It is a title hoping for a franchise of Hellblade: Senua's Sequels. So being told "come for another story" winds up being pretty on the nose.

I highly doubt that Hellblade will have a sequel like that.

Games have subtitles all the time. Detroit: Become Human is coming out and there's not going to be another Detroit, just like Beyond: Two Souls doesn't need a sequel either (phew). Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons is not going to come out any time soon with Brothers: A Tale of Three Sons. FTL: Faster Than Light did not have the developers come out with their next game as FTL: Faster Two Light.

Hellblade ends that way to 'close the loop' and make it clear that Senua is moving on to the next chapter of her life, unburdened of the trauma she worked through during the game. You can't have an 'effective' sequel when literally the entire game was about overcoming that, it's ridiculous.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What was Kingdom Come: Deliverance's reason for a subtitle? It doesn't deliver any banjos or bum-rape. Though I heard the main-story isn't finished and just stops so they may be holding out for another title.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Deliverance was originally going to be a smaller Ground Zeroes style game to raise money for the full thing before they started getting funding and Kickstarter and such I think

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bewilderment posted:

I highly doubt that Hellblade will have a sequel like that.

Games have subtitles all the time. Detroit: Become Human is coming out and there's not going to be another Detroit, just like Beyond: Two Souls doesn't need a sequel either (phew). Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons is not going to come out any time soon with Brothers: A Tale of Three Sons. FTL: Faster Than Light did not have the developers come out with their next game as FTL: Faster Two Light.

Hellblade ends that way to 'close the loop' and make it clear that Senua is moving on to the next chapter of her life, unburdened of the trauma she worked through during the game. You can't have an 'effective' sequel when literally the entire game was about overcoming that, it's ridiculous.

FTL's an acronym, David Cage thinks he far more clever than he actually is, and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a pretty clear descriptor as a whole. "Hellblade" doesn't really apply to anything much in the game. The sword Gram isn't exactly a blade of hell in Norse mythology, and it's far and away secondary to "Senua's Sacrifice", which actually does cover the whole game pretty concisely. And your last sentence is pretty much my exact concern.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hellblade was originally conceived as a sequel to Ninja Theory's game Heavenly Sword that would have starred Kai venturing into the underworld. Much of that concept obviously didn't stick around, but the main conceit and title did. The subtitle was added later in the development of the game, presumably to draw it closer to the main character and its subject matter.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Alright, y'all are getting me interested just on the volume of what there is to say about it. Should I be getting Hellblade on PC or PS4?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

graybook posted:

Alright, y'all are getting me interested just on the volume of what there is to say about it. Should I be getting Hellblade on PC or PS4?

Either is fine, the only absolute requirement for the best experience is playing with headphones. And it is WELL worth playing.

exquisite tea posted:

Hellblade was originally conceived as a sequel to Ninja Theory's game Heavenly Sword that would have starred Kai venturing into the underworld. Much of that concept obviously didn't stick around, but the main conceit and title did. The subtitle was added later in the development of the game, presumably to draw it closer to the main character and its subject matter.

Ahh, now that I didn't know.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Hm, I'm also in need of a pair of good headphones. I'll probably go PC but I'll get the game after I get some decent ones. Thanks!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

graybook posted:

PC will give you the best possible visuals if you have a modern system with the option of refunding if it's Just Not For You, and the visuals are an important part of the experience. There's nothing wrong with the PS4 version though, and the Pro offers either a 4k or 60fps performance mode. Really the only mandatory thing is that you play with headphones and, I'd recommend, a controller with vibration as that helps with some of the puzzles.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Oh man I havent thought about Heavenly Sword in 10 years but I loving loved that game. Andy Serkis` finest role.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Biplane posted:

Oh man I havent thought about Heavenly Sword in 10 years but I loving loved that game. Andy Serkis` finest role.

Have you not played Enslaved: Odyssey to the West? :colbert:

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

glad she is dead posted:

leave it to goons to see something involving moving past and healing in every little thing

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I sure havent but if you are telling me it features Andy Serkis chewing more scenery than in Heavenly Sword then I just might.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Biplane posted:

I sure havent but if you are telling me it features Andy Serkis chewing more scenery than in Heavenly Sword then I just might.

Andy Serkis does the mocap and acting for the protagonist.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Looking forward to the sequel Freed: Bustin' East.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The first game in the Enslaved series.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What was Kingdom Come: Deliverance's reason for a subtitle? It doesn't deliver any banjos or bum-rape. Though I heard the main-story isn't finished and just stops so they may be holding out for another title.

Looking forward to next year's installment, Kingdom Come: Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

quote:

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done;
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
the power and the glory,
for ever and ever.
Amen.

Best guess.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Burger King[dom], Come get your Whopper, we don`t Deliver[ance]

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I’m not really sure that a game with literally one character and no enemies who actually exist is one that’s really been primed for a franchise.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Dr Snofeld posted:

It is kind of bizarre how much they change the characters, but it is sort of endearing too. They are so blatant about it.

I also went into LR thinking I was going to hate it. I thought XIII was mediocre, and XIII-2 is possibly the worst JRPG that I have played. I not only had fun with LR though, I even enjoyed the characters and dialogue for what they were, especially lightning. The way you gain stats by completing sidequests was neat too. A rare pleasant surprise of a game.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mario + Rabbids is pretty amazing all over, but I LOVE the way it's boiled down the XCOM percentage-to-hit statistics to either 0%, 50% or 100%. It simplifies the game a bit, but it removes a tonne of frustration.

Also the very Banjo Kazooie esque score by Grant Kirkhope is fantastic.

Also also the game forces Mario to walk through a giant stream of piss like Raiden has to in MGS2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MrAptronym posted:

It is kind of bizarre how much they change the characters, but it is sort of endearing too. They are so blatant about it.

I also went into LR thinking I was going to hate it. I thought XIII was mediocre, and XIII-2 is possibly the worst JRPG that I have played. I not only had fun with LR though, I even enjoyed the characters and dialogue for what they were, especially lightning. The way you gain stats by completing sidequests was neat too. A rare pleasant surprise of a game.

Lightning Returns is no joke my second favorite Final Fantasy game ever, right next to the obvious masterpiece of the series that almost doesn't even need to be mentioned by name, say it with me here people, FFX-2.