Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Mustached Demon posted:

Seriously I use this thread mostly as a way to deal with the fact a piss golem was elected president. It's somewhat comforting posting about it with mostly like-minded posters.

I mean that's important and all but I'm betting you're a microwaveable tacquitos sort of fellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

Speaking of stupid trade wars, the way this spat with China is probably going to end is Trump is going to "strike a deal" with China that ultimately amounts to him backing down from his stupid tariffs in exchange for some worthless not-really-concessions, allowing him to claim a victory as a master dealmaker.

I am glad that something is finally being done about China, but i'm not happy it's Trump behind the wheel.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Boon posted:

The first and only time I watched Gone with the Wind I just kept mumbling how I can't wait until Atlanta was burned to the ground. I didn't know it actually happened in the movie, but the satisfaction I felt was palpable.

I have a weirdly profound hatred for the confederacy.

My wife grew up in Uzbekistan and was even a child laborer on a cotton plantation and somehow she loves that movie. I've called it out as racist and inaccurate but teaching her enough American history to understand the context of the civil war, reconstruction, lost cause, etc. seems like such a huge undertaking though.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kavros posted:

I mean that's important and all but I'm betting you're a microwaveable tacquitos sort of fellow.

Gross dude.

I prefer Costco's Chipotle black bean burgers. They're vegan so add some cheese at least.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Wew forced myself to listen to a bit of Trump's :qq: ing about Cohen (only survived by skipping forward every few seconds as it became unbearable). The dude is more shook than any other time I've ever heard him, way more so than Charlottesville and there he was responding to journalists pushing back. Awaiting tweets with hunger

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The total lack of Trump tweet says a lot, the quiet is almost eerie.
Perhaps he's not had a chance to yet. I saw the footage of him in the boardroom earlier, apparently it was actually a Syria meeting and he just started venting with his arms folded, sat back in a highly defensive posture. The dude is rattled.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

the fbi broke into the office THIS IS A DISGRACEFUL ATTACK ON AMERICA

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The total lack of Drumpf tweet says a lot, the quiet is almost eerie.

Or maybe the interns have finally managed to hide his phone/piss baby dropped his phone in the toilet during Executive Time™.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Well this is silly; our extremely amateur town band has been practising movie theme music, and despite not actually being American, I found myself getting rather emotional while playing all this... stuff... that indirectly or otherwise celebrates the good stuff about America. It's stupid, I know, but I think I'm starting to understand how traumatic it must be for you guys to see a giant orange nazi sympathiser get elected president...

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I really recommend everyone listen to 'Slow Burn' about the Watergate scandal. I listened to it in one go and really had to put my headphones down and look out the window for a little while at the end, for a number of reasons. I mean, primarily I had just heard a tape of a president saying he could dig up $1 million in hush money.

But more than that was the reaction of a super old-school Republican hearing that tape (Sorry I can't remember his name) and then saying something to the effect of "if you don't release this to the public, I will". And I was like what if Mitch McConell heard a tape of Trump saying "yeah release the tapes and we'll get rid of sanctions"? Or even just something like hearing Trump tell Cohen to release the campaign funds to pay off Stormy Daniels.

But in looking at the whole Watergate thing, Nixon became so unpopular that only like 15 senators were willing to support acquittal. And I honestly wonder if Trump could ever become that kind of liability. I don't know much about the political climate in the Nixon era, but I don't think he had the absolute blind faith of ~30% of the country in the same way that Trump does. That having been said, I bet a Democratic House would at least have some investigatory or oversight power and we may just see a stream of corruption or something like that.

I also don't think that even faced with his daughter telling him 'look you need to resign or you are going to be forced to leave' that he would resign. And I think a bunch of Republicans would be faced with a damned if you do/don't situation like they are now: forfeit the moderates by sticking by the president or get Roy Moore'd.

Here's me kind of playing out what I think would be the most crazy, but much more probable situation: He loses the Republican nomination for the president to someone like Kasich. Because Trump would be completely undermining the other nominee for the entire election. I can't even imagine what it would be like.

Anyway, I'm going to say again that you should check out 'Slow Burn'.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Another thing I just thought of is that it really has to be something concrete and damning, it really does have to be Donald Trump's voice ordering it. Like Michel Cohan testimony isn't going to do it. Even though it ended up not really mattering later, there was a huge difference between reading about Donald Trump saying 'grab her by the pussy' and then hearing a tape of him actually saying it. Lordy I hope there are tapes.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

bollig posted:

I really recommend everyone listen to 'Slow Burn' about the Watergate scandal. I listened to it in one go and really had to put my headphones down and look out the window for a little while at the end, for a number of reasons. I mean, primarily I had just heard a tape of a president saying he could dig up $1 million in hush money.

But more than that was the reaction of a super old-school Republican hearing that tape (Sorry I can't remember his name) and then saying something to the effect of "if you don't release this to the public, I will". And I was like what if Mitch McConell heard a tape of Trump saying "yeah release the tapes and we'll get rid of sanctions"? Or even just something like hearing Trump tell Cohen to release the campaign funds to pay off Stormy Daniels.

But in looking at the whole Watergate thing, Nixon became so unpopular that only like 15 senators were willing to support acquittal. And I honestly wonder if Trump could ever become that kind of liability. I don't know much about the political climate in the Nixon era, but I don't think he had the absolute blind faith of ~30% of the country in the same way that Trump does. That having been said, I bet a Democratic House would at least have some investigatory or oversight power and we may just see a stream of corruption or something like that.

I also don't think that even faced with his daughter telling him 'look you need to resign or you are going to be forced to leave' that he would resign. And I think a bunch of Republicans would be faced with a damned if you do/don't situation like they are now: forfeit the moderates by sticking by the president or get Roy Moore'd.

Here's me kind of playing out what I think would be the most crazy, but much more probable situation: He loses the Republican nomination for the president to someone like Kasich. Because Trump would be completely undermining the other nominee for the entire election. I can't even imagine what it would be like.

Anyway, I'm going to say again that you should check out 'Slow Burn'.

Sadly, he pretty much did. In fact, I think his numbers then were better then Trump's are now. History has (rightly) painted him as a paranoid monster, but at the time ~40% described Watergate as 'politics as usual.' Admitting that the President was a crook would mean admitting defeat, and so it was much easier for people to convince themselves that it wasn't a big deal. People will believe what they need to believe, as Trump supporters clearly demonstrate.

VV Case in point!

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

bollig posted:

Another thing I just thought of is that it really has to be something concrete and damning, it really does have to be Donald Trump's voice ordering it. Like Michel Cohan testimony isn't going to do it. Even though it ended up not really mattering later, there was a huge difference between reading about Donald Trump saying 'grab her by the pussy' and then hearing a tape of him actually saying it. Lordy I hope there are tapes.

It’s kind of fascinating how many MAGA chuds actually think the Tape of Donny saying he likes to sexually assault women all the time is fake. When it first came out it was all “locker room talk” but a year+ later the few Trump supporters I work with had retconned that fiasco to fake news.

I think the relative success of #MeToo and public shaming of (far too few of) our numerous sexmonsters made the dissonance so strong they forced themselves to change their own version of the story.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
It's amazing these people broke their own brains to believe in Donald Trump of all loving people. At least cult leaders have charisma. Do it for someone who isn't one of the most flawed persons on the planet. Do it for someone that is at least charming, or good looking, or smart, or actually wealthy. Something

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

CubanMissile posted:

It's amazing these people broke their own brains to believe in Donald Trump of all loving people. At least cult leaders have charisma. Do it for someone who isn't one of the most flawed persons on the planet. Do it for someone that is at least charming, or good looking, or smart, or actually wealthy. Something

Turns out all you need to do to get people to follow you as a white man is to say white men are best and everyone else sucks

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
I wonder how angry Trump is at DonJr. at this moment, because the June 9, 2016 meeting was the one Jr. tweeted out the email transcripts setting up the meeting to get dirt on Hillary. Trump had to say he was protected from disclosing what was discussed at that meeting because of attorney-client privilege, which is now in jeopardy because his lawyer got raided by the FBI for being an apparent accomplice in money-laundering.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

peer posted:

Turns out all you need to do to get people to follow you as a white man is to say white men are best and everyone else sucks

And somehow it also worked on a whole bunch of white women.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

bollig posted:

A couple of things could happen here. First is that Trump runs on an independent platform. This would split the Republican ticket an basically hand the presidency to the democrats. Also it would hand any districts that independents that ran along with him to the democrats.

Second is that Trump just doesn't have it in him for another run. He's old and out of shape now. He'll be worse then.

Lastly and in my opinion most likely, he'll bitch the republican party to death. He'll go back to the old rhetoric that it's "all rigged", declare a moral victory and burn down the republican party in the process.

CubanMissile posted:

You have to keep in mind that he was a TV personality for years. So peoples' thoughts about him are anchored in their views of his television self. Most people only watch fifteen second clips of him which are tightly edited to make him look somewhat coherent. I doubt that most people have heard an entire speech from him. Ever.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

RasperFat posted:

It’s kind of fascinating how many MAGA chuds actually think the Tape of Donny saying he likes to sexually assault women all the time is fake. When it first came out it was all “locker room talk” but a year+ later the few Trump supporters I work with had retconned that fiasco to fake news.

I think the relative success of #MeToo and public shaming of (far too few of) our numerous sexmonsters made the dissonance so strong they forced themselves to change their own version of the story.

YEah I mean that's kind of why I meant at the time, in a very immediate sense I think it helps. In the week after it had an extraordinary effect on the dialogue, but it was then overtaken by self-hosted e-mails.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Second is that Trump just doesn't have it in him for another run. He's old and out of shape now. He'll be worse then.

I don't think he'd voluntarily not run, he's a prime racehorse, you know. Also there's definitely a branch of this history where he doesn't make it out of the office for health reasons.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

bollig posted:

Trump said he did not know about Cohen paying Stormy.
Either Cohen is going to protect Trump, lose his law degree, lose his money, and go to jail, or he's going to make a deal to help prosecutors in their case against Trump.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Binary Logic posted:

Trump said he did not know about Cohen paying Stormy.
Either Cohen is going to protect Trump, lose his law degree, lose his money, and go to jail, or he's going to make a deal to help prosecutors in their case against Trump.

Considering Trump has essentially been throwing him under a bus for ages, his choice should be obvious. But not protecting Trump ALSO means he can't be a lawyer anymore since he didn't protect his client. People wouldn't trust him not to betray them in the future, and having to cut a deal with the feds won't preclude jail time, it will just be massively shortened. Meaning he will be the lawyer that went to jail and rolled over.

I can understand why he would stall on making a choice. Neither one is good...for him, anyway. We can laugh heartily.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Personal theory/prediction:

Impeachment goes down in early 2019, keeping the issue away from the 2018 elections but still giving Pence a solid ~18 months of boring, bland, midnight-twitter-freakout free republican presidency for everyone to chill out before the 2020 election, and allowing him to run for re-election (his best-case scenario, twice) as an incumbent. They're gambling that the hardcore trump base will get over the hysterics that would follow and go back to voting for the no-abortions guy as their usual default would be. It might even work.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Is there a morning fox and friends that we can expect tweets to follow?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Javid posted:

Personal theory/prediction:

Impeachment goes down in early 2019, keeping the issue away from the 2018 elections but still giving Pence a solid ~18 months of boring, bland, midnight-twitter-freakout free republican presidency for everyone to chill out before the 2020 election, and allowing him to run for re-election (his best-case scenario, twice) as an incumbent. They're gambling that the hardcore trump base will get over the hysterics that would follow and go back to voting for the no-abortions guy as their usual default would be. It might even work.

Not if he refuses to debate Tammy Duckworth on account of his wife and mother missing the debate.

Seriously Pence is just eye candy to appease the evangelicals. He's got the personality of a rock beyond hating gays, independent women, and abortions.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

It's about that time for Donnie's morning glass of Metamucil and 45 minutes on the john. Can't wait for him to fire Mueller via Tweet.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
A republican congress will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever impeach Trump. It's not going to happen.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Drone posted:

It's about that time for Donnie's morning glass of Metamucil and 45 minutes on the john. Can't wait for him to fire Mueller via Tweet.

It has become part of my routine too. I wake up at 6 and nothing is going on. Coffee, shower and hop on the train for work and it’s 7:30... just in time to read the morning tweets.

Trump has become a part of me.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/983662953894436864

:bisonyes:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

And away we go!

"If anybody needs me, I'll be in the ANGRY DOME!!!!"

dhn
May 28, 2004
Dog dick of anubis
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/983662868540346371

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I can’t imagine that there’ll be a Trump tweet this morning - every time there’s been an obvious major event Trump would tweet the stupidest, brokest poo poo about, someone takes his access away. In a week, we’ll get a shitstorm over something completely different because of a story on Fox And Friends, and maybe he’ll bring up this raid and the “unfairness”, but not today.

Unless Kelly really is losing control, in which case, I look forward to the ride.

EDit: welp

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/983662953894436864

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

YOU KNOW, IT IS ACTUALLY QUITE FUN TO WRITE LIKE THIS.

MAKES EVERYTHING SEEM MORE IMPORTANT!

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

skeleton warrior posted:

I can’t imagine that there’ll be a Trump tweet this morning - every time there’s been an obvious major event Trump would tweet the stupidest, brokest poo poo about, someone takes his access away. In a week, we’ll get a shitstorm over something completely different because of a story on Fox And Friends, and maybe he’ll bring up this raid and the “unfairness”, but not today.

Unless Kelly really is losing control, in which case, I look forward to the ride.

The man make a tweet.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

bollig posted:

I don't think he'd voluntarily not run, he's a prime racehorse, you know. Also there's definitely a branch of this history where he doesn't make it out of the office for health reasons.
Surely they could just widen the doors of the oval office if he got stuck in there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Oh my god I've never been more erect

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Uh, what the gently caress?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

CelestialScribe posted:

A republican congress will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever impeach Trump. It's not going to happen.

heh, a republican special counsel would never.... uh... I mean these republican judges would never uhh.... I mean the republican head of the FBI would never... I uh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Ague Proof posted:

Uh, what the gently caress?

He's having a tantrum about the raid, not somehow unilaterally declaring a change in the law.

• Locked thread