Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

heh, a republican special counsel would never.... uh... I mean these republican judges would never uhh.... I mean the republican head of the FBI would never... I uh

He's right about Congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Chinese Gordon posted:

He's having a tantrum about the raid, not somehow unilaterally declaring a change in the law.

I know that.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Chinese Gordon posted:

He's having a tantrum about the raid, not somehow unilaterally declaring a change in the law.

The question still stands.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Remember that Trump thinks attorney-client privelege applies if he conspired with someone else in the same room as his lawyer

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

KickerOfMice posted:

The question still stands.

Why is it a surprise that Trump doesn't understand the law?

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
God bless America!

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.
It’s surprising he hasn’t had a medical emergency of some sort with so much rage making GBS threads when gets up in the morning.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Attorney-client privilege does not apply if you discuss a crime, no?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Chinese Gordon posted:

He's right about Congress.

Wah Wah, I know daddy will use his super powers when the moment is right. he is just hiding the extreme loyalty everyone has to him to lull hillary into a false confidence.

*gets his personal lawyer arrested on a warrant signed by a republican judge he appointed like a month ago*

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Chinese Gordon posted:

Why is it a surprise that Trump doesn't understand the law?

It's not, but still, "what the gently caress?"

Hah, zero coverage on Foxnews.com

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Slowpoke! posted:

There's some pretty good write ups if you just google it, something our Commander In Chief can't do.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Slowpoke! posted:

It doesn’t apply if your attorney is helping you commit a crime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attorney%E2%80%93client_privilege?wprov=sfti1

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Donnie when you commit fraud with your lawyers there is no such thing as attorney client privilege.

Keep talking though Mueller has his note pad and screenshot shortcuts at the ready

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Slowpoke! posted:

IANAL, but I’d bet that if you are conspiring to/already committed a crime with your attorney, and evidence of that gets discovered in an investigation, then it would absolutely not protect your records for that particular client from the investigators.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Arglebargle III posted:

This is a captivating cat.
Thanks! He's a Siberian. We got him about 10 years ago because my wife wanted a cat, I'm allergic to cats, and at least back then there was a belief going around that Siberians have a lower allergen load than other cats. I have no idea if this is true, but he's been living with us ever since and I haven't died, so I'm good either way. He's obsessed with snow - he'll eat a bowl of it - is weirdly loyal, and prefers to get petted with his head laying on my shoulder and his claws digging into me.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

KickerOfMice posted:

It's not, but still, "what the gently caress?"

Hah, zero coverage on Foxnews.com

Big lead article on CNN!

And it is on Foxnews.com's main page, it's just well below the feature article about a "rogue governor" not wanting to deploy the National Guard to the border, and even below a human-interest piece about a "Women For Trump" college senior flashing a gun in her graduation photo.

And the main article isn't about the raid, it's Dershowitz calling out the ACLU for not rallying to Trump's defense. And then a piece from an unnamed White House source calling the investigation "out of control."

Seriously, there's "slant" and then there's this.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Wah Wah, I know daddy will use his super powers when the moment is right. he is just hiding the extreme loyalty everyone has to him to lull hillary into a false confidence.

*gets his personal lawyer arrested on a warrant signed by a republican judge he appointed like a month ago*

I'm not saying at all saying Nothing Matters. Things absolutely do and are mattering. Just saying there is no way 15+ Republican Senators vote to convict. The only way that would happen is if Trump lost the majority of the primary-voting base.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Chinese Gordon posted:

15+ Republican Senators vote to convict

This isn't nearly as much of an obstacle as getting Articles of Impeachment passed in the House in the first place. That will literally never happen in a Republican-controlled House.

By comparison the Senate is conceivable (though still very outlandish).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Chinese Gordon posted:

I'm not saying at all saying Nothing Matters. Things absolutely do and are mattering. Just saying there is no way 15+ Republican Senators vote to convict. The only way that would happen is if Trump lost the majority of the primary-voting base.

I think you underestimate how sensitive the rats are to sinking ships.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Oh my god yes, he's tweeted

Why is this so enjoyable? We're not supposed to view the president of the USA so flippantly like this.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Why is this so enjoyable? We're not supposed to view the president of the USA so flippantly like this.

Humor is a valid coping mechanism.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Well, it's his fault. He's a flippant president. :shrug:

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

I think you underestimate how sensitive the rats are to sinking ships.

Oh they would dump Trump in a heartbeat if the chuds abandoned him en masse. Unless/until that happens though, he's safe from conviction.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Chinese Gordon posted:

How is that different than "there is no way a republican special counsel would really investigate him" or "there is no way a republican judge he appointed would sign off on searching his personal lawyer" or "there is no way a republican judge would block his immigration crackdown" or even "there is no way a republican FBI would work against him".

Maybe at some point it's okay to drop the idea that he's beloved and all are loyal to him. No one is impeaching him now but maybe every time something else happens and more republican people in power turn against him it just starts looking more and more shook when people rush to the thread to say 'he is UNIMPEACHABLE, no one would EVER turn against him"

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Seeing the worst of America suffer should give you pleasure no shame.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Chinese Gordon posted:

Oh they would dump Trump in a heartbeat if the chuds abandoned him en masse. Unless/until that happens though, he's safe.

That's the thing you're right about though - that base is hard as granite. He could be roasting white Christian babies in NASCAR onesies on a spit and they'd find an excuse.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Drone posted:

This isn't nearly as much of an obstacle as getting Articles of Impeachment passed in the House in the first place. That will literally never happen in a Republican-controlled House.

By comparison the Senate is conceivable (though still very outlandish).

I'm assuming the Dems win the House in November. Even if they impeach him, the Senate will not convict Trump unless it is clear he's lost the support of GOP primary voters, and I honestly don't think anything Mueller/SDNY comes up with will lose him enough of the chuds.

He will absolutely be a lame duck post November and will get destroyed/not run in 2020 though. That's where the Mattering is.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

How is that different than "there is no way a republican special counsel would really investigate him" or "there is no way a republican judge he appointed would sign off on searching his personal lawyer" or "there is no way a republican judge would block his immigration crackdown" or even "there is no way a republican FBI would work against him".

Maybe at some point it's okay to drop the idea that he's beloved and all are loyal to him. No one is impeaching him now but maybe every time something else happens and more republican people in power turn against him it just starts looking more and more shook when people rush to the thread to say 'he is UNIMPEACHABLE, no one would EVER turn against him"

Neither the judge nor Rosenstein are answerable to the rabid GOP base. Senators are, and in order for them to convict Trump he would have to lose the support of the chuds. I don't think that happens pre 2020.

Chinese Gordon fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 10, 2018

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The only way Trump loses the base is if another male authority figure emasculates him somehow and takes his place. While he is in the role of the most powerful single person in the world that's going to be hard but if say the next Republican Presidential candidate was charismatic and just dunked on him endlessly, the base would turn super fast and abandon him (which is a but late to be useful). I could see a powerful Senator or party leader doing something similar but the ones in Congress now are such gutless cowards that won't happen.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

NEED MORE TWEETS

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Radish posted:

The only way Trump loses the base is if another male authority figure emasculates him somehow and takes his place. While he is in the role of the most powerful single person in the world that's going to be hard but if say the next Republican Presidential candidate was charismatic and just dunked on him endlessly, the base would turn super fast and abandon him (which is a but late to be useful). I could see a powerful Senator or party leader doing something similar but the ones in Congress now are such gutless cowards that won't happen.

Please clap?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Smiling Jack posted:

NEED MORE TWEETS

I didn't know it would feel this good.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/983672662517075968

Someone's sleeping in the doghouse tonight.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There’s a difference between non-elected, independent law agencies and politicians in congress, though. The former at least has the reputation for doing their job without political motivation whereas the latter has proven themselves spineless

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/983436709118570497

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's JEB's time to shine.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I do enjoy the fact Trump acts like he has something to hide. Like anyone with half a brain would be like, "let them search, I'm clean I tell ya'! Clean!" But Trump complains to the world that poo poo he told his lawyer might now be admissible.

Mueller would be all up in my bung hole and all he'd find is some fibrous material and maybe that quarter I swallowed when I was 8. Thanks, Bob! And it's a bicentennial quarter to boot!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

"Mens rea! Mala in se!"

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

skeleton warrior posted:

I can’t imagine that there’ll be a Trump tweet this morning - every time there’s been an obvious major event Trump would tweet the stupidest, brokest poo poo about, someone takes his access away. In a week, we’ll get a shitstorm over something completely different because of a story on Fox And Friends, and maybe he’ll bring up this raid and the “unfairness”, but not today.

Unless Kelly really is losing control, in which case, I look forward to the ride.

EDit: welp

Never seen a post age so poorly so fast itt

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Do search warrants have limits on what you can take?

Or can they just grab anything and everything in that office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Do search warrants have limits on what you can take?

Or can they just grab anything and everything in that office.

Yes they can be incredibly specific sometimes.

However, if the FBI agents doing the deed see like the piss tape on the big screen then they can most certainly take that too.

• Locked thread