Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

The Johnny Storm audition was a loving PR nightmare :(

Ak Gara has a new favorite as of 15:00 on Apr 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm trying to imagine Mads Mikkelsen in a role where the character isn't vaguely sinister/an outright villain and its just not happening.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

They need to find some kind of excuse for Captain America and Killmonger to meet, no matter how improbable it is, just to work in a joke about both of them being the Human Torch.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
It's mind-boggling that we still haven't gotten a better Fantastic Four than the 1994 Corman version. Better script, better acting, better direction, about 1/200th the budget of the Fox films so it obviously looks a lot worse.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

1stGear posted:

I'm trying to imagine Mads Mikkelsen in a role where the character isn't vaguely sinister/an outright villain and its just not happening.

I hope his casting as Hannibal ends up typecasting all Danish actors as cannibals.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ookiimarukochan posted:

It's mind-boggling that we still haven't gotten a better Fantastic Four than the 1994 Corman version. Better script, better acting, better direction, about 1/200th the budget of the Fox films so it obviously looks a lot worse.

I wish there was a long article or book about the hot mess the last FF turned into.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Ak Gara posted:

The Johnny Storm audition was a loving PR nightmare :(

I've never heard this story and I'm interested.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Psst, it's a joke.

Groda posted:

I hope his casting as Hannibal ends up typecasting all Danish actors as cannibals.

A natural reaction to Danish cuisine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I've never heard this story and I'm interested.

They wanted him to stretch his arms for an audition for Mister Fantastic.

Think about what Johnny Storm's thing is.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

1stGear posted:

There's a Danish film that deals with the consequences of the town he lives in learning that he's a child molester he isn't, his character's actually a good person

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
That seems like a pretty good audition, really, because his ability to sell the mannerisms of Mr. Fantastic and look natural are going to require some slapstick played straight.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Dude's just jealous miles teller has longer arms than him

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They wanted him to stretch his arms for an audition for Mister Fantastic.

Think about what Johnny Storm's thing is.
Yeah that's exactly what I was wondering/hoping. Unfortunately I just googled "human torch casting controversy" and it turns out it's the whole "black actor" thing :sigh:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JesustheDarkLord posted:

That seems like a pretty good audition, really, because his ability to sell the mannerisms of Mr. Fantastic and look natural are going to require some slapstick played straight.

If I was auditioning Mads Mikkelsen, I would be more concerned with seeing how he can pull off the good guy team leader character. He's really good at creepy because he looks and sounds the part even when he's being funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlGCL8OvYr4

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

1stGear posted:

Hideo Kojima's best friend?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

1stGear posted:

He was Galen Erso

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Who knowingly introduced a major flaw into his blueprints which led to the deaths of everybody aboard the battlestation

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Ignite Memories posted:

Who knowingly introduced a major flaw into his blueprints which led to the deaths of everybody aboard the battlestation

Designed to destroy entire planets so

Good guy

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ignite Memories posted:

That really is the stupidest thing ever. His secret flaw, the purposefully engineered weakness, required flying directly at the Death Star, getting through all the Tie Fighters, past the guns on the Death Star itself, to a trench that was the only place near the ship where you were out of the gun's firing range. Then, while you were an easy target for Tie Fighters, you had to fly along the trench for quite awhile, and after all that, if you somehow made it intact to the exhaust port, you had one chance to take a shot that experienced pilots considered impossible. It only worked in practice because of the unforeseen intervention of the Millenium Falcon, and literal magic. Only two pilots actually managed to take the shot, and if one of them hadn't been a secret wizard, they both would've missed, and then been shot down, and then the entire Rebellion been destroyed.

Gee, thanks Galen Erso.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

1stGear posted:

The Hunt is actually exactly about that feeling

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Guy Goodbody posted:

That really is the stupidest thing ever. His secret flaw, the purposefully engineered weakness, required flying directly at the Death Star, getting through all the Tie Fighters, past the guns on the Death Star itself, to a trench that was the only place near the ship where you were out of the gun's firing range. Then, while you were an easy target for Tie Fighters, you had to fly along the trench for quite awhile, and after all that, if you somehow made it intact to the exhaust port, you had one chance to take a shot that experienced pilots considered impossible. It only worked in practice because of the unforeseen intervention of the Millenium Falcon, and literal magic. Only two pilots actually managed to take the shot, and if one of them hadn't been a secret wizard, they both would've missed, and then been shot down, and then the entire Rebellion been destroyed.

Gee, thanks Galen Erso.

Well I guess if he'd designed the Death Star with a big gently caress-off target on it the Empire might've realised something was up.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

1stGear posted:

Watch "Adam's Apples" where he initially is optimism himself.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Guy Goodbody posted:

Gee, thanks Galen Erso.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

ookiimarukochan posted:

It's mind-boggling that we still haven't gotten a better Fantastic Four than the 1994 Corman version.

We did. It's just called The Incredibles.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Man when does sonic get all the time to be a brilliant philosopher, I thought it was all just going fast and rings and stuff.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

1stGear posted:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Time for a debate about the logic in a 40 year old sci fi movie in the funny pictures thread in 2018? Can't wait!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

1stGear posted:

Mister Fantastic with a bit of sinister would be extremely cool tho. Smartest guy in any given room\star system he enters, kind of a well meaning but domineering & patronizing dick, maybe doesn't see humanity as being on the same level as him, even if he won't consciously admit it to himself. A really nice guy when things go his way (they generally do) but when he looks at you you get the sense you're an insect to him or, at best, a child.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
also his bod goes wibbly wobbly

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mysterious frankie posted:

Mister Fantastic with a bit of sinister would be extremely cool tho. Smartest guy in any given room\star system he enters, kind of a well meaning but domineering & patronizing dick, maybe doesn't see humanity as being on the same level as him, even if he won't consciously admit it to himself. A really nice guy when things go his way (they generally do) but when he looks at you you get the sense you're an insect to him or, at best, a child.

Eh, that might be a bit too Doctor Doom. Reed Richards is still supposed to be a loving husband and father despite his intelligence and tendency to get hyper-focused on a problem.

I dunno, it reminds me too much of trying to make Superman morally ambiguous.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/thedreadwoif/status/983169253154095105?s=21

edit: it was the choppers meme with the potion seller text, I swear

NyetscapeNavigator has a new favorite as of 00:44 on Apr 11, 2018

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/Queen_UK/status/963132566281875458

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Picnic Princess posted:

Time for a debate about the logic in a 40 year old sci fi movie in the funny pictures thread in 2018? Can't wait!

It makes sense in the original, where the vent is the only possible weak point, a crazy hail mary that the Rebellion does because it's their only option.

Rogue One turning it into an intentionally designed weak point is dumb

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

Mister Fantastic is already pretty sinister. He destroyed a device that cures burn victims because Dr. Doom invented it, he fed Galaticus but not the staving people on Earth, he shot his infant son with a coma gun, he HAS a coma gun etc etc

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

https://twitter.com/miimows/status/982851448089165825

Whole thread is pretty good.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Captain Splendid posted:

There's a Danish film that deals with the consequences of the town he lives in learning that he's a child molester he isn't, his character's actually a good person

Its a very good movie I had completely forgotten about

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

chitoryu12 posted:

Eh, that might be a bit too Doctor Doom. Reed Richards is still supposed to be a loving husband and father despite his intelligence and tendency to get hyper-focused on a problem.

I dunno, it reminds me too much of trying to make Superman morally ambiguous.

In the comics, there are infinite parallel universes. In every single one except the main Marvel universe, Reed is a villain. Or so wholly without morality that it makes no difference.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Guy Goodbody posted:

It makes sense in the original, where the vent is the only possible weak point, a crazy hail mary that the Rebellion does because it's their only option.

Rogue One turning it into an intentionally designed weak point is dumb
The exhaust port is still an unintentional design flaw in Rogue One, Galen's contribution was to give the reactor itself an instability so that a small explosion could destroy the whole station.

I'll just :goonsay: myself thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

https://twitter.com/NeoMcKickflip/status/983487110417088512