Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamuska
Apr 8, 2018

AgreegrA

Alpha Legion Paint tutorials anyone ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

TheChirurgeon posted:

Apocalypse is just bad unless everyone brings a single titan or similar-size model. 28mm is just not a good scale for battles that size and the games take forever and there's very little to be done in the way of tactics or strategy

e: Or if you split it into several tables running more regular-size games, but then you aren't really playing "Apocalypse" so w/e

And yet, my gaming group insists on Apocalypse size games for every battle of a campaign being run.

And they bitch about how long it takes. Cognitive dissonance is a scary thing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hra Mormo posted:

Already owns. What's the head from?

Base model is Naeve Blacktalon from AoS.

Pretty solid conversion, bought one a while ago myself and been looking into maybe converting her for 40k but not sure exactly how yet. Even if she makes me think of the female Inquisitor from ADB's Emperors Gift.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

If I was gonna stick a squad of MK3 armored marines into my primaris army, what would be good? so far my ideas include making breachers with storm shields and other similar bad ideas.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Yeast posted:

yes hello, welcome to any game of Apocalypse ever played.

So why would you :thunk:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

xutech posted:

If I was gonna stick a squad of MK3 armored marines into my primaris army, what would be good? so far my ideas include making breachers with storm shields and other similar bad ideas.

Unfortunately, they look really wierd next to Primaris. I would use an Intercessors box, with mk3 heads, and Breacher Shields. I think it would have a cool look.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Apoc games in 7th were always day-long, mind-numbingly boring slug fests, and that was WITH templates. I honestly can't even imagine attempting one in 8th.

I think the only time I enjoyed one, was when we had a whole series of ZM boards, representing tunnels under the battlefield, that allowed infantry to survive and contribute in a meaningful way, while also allowing vehicles and Titans to erase each other in giant swaths up above.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I once played 3 versus 1 game of 4th edition, 6000 points a side. It took all day.

We unanimously decided to never play games that size again and to halve our lists for multiplayer games in future.

I can't comprehend why people would insist on games that large & slow.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Play Epic.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah actual Epic is much faster and gets the job done.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I played a couple of games of Apoc recently. The first one was about 12k a side, 3v2 which turned into 3v1 because one dude had ADHD and wondered off basically immediately. It dragged in places but was basically fun and we figured without one guy disappearing it would be fine.

We played again, about 12k a side again, 2v2. Turns out Apoc drags hard even when you have a good organiser doing stuff like adding custom-built objectives which give infantry crazy bonuses so they're actually meaningful. I had 1000pts of deep strikers who did nothing because there was literally nowhere to land them. Fun!

I think for that sort of game the sweet spot is maybe 4-5k on a large board, 1v1. Big enough that you get to bring cool toys but it doesn't turn into an all-day multiplayer slugfest.

Or yeah I would play Epic in a heartbeat if they'd hurry up and re-release it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It might play better if everyone fielded lords of war that cost roughly a thousand points each instead of infantry swarms where every second model has a wargear variation.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Apoc always seemed like a 'we can do this" thing more than a "we should do this" one. Just a way to say "look! You can play out those crazy scale world spanning wars on the tabletop!" Without worrying about it being fun because most people that would actually play it are already many wads of dollars down the rabbit hole.

It would be neat seeing Epic with sculpts that aren't aggressively terrible.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Never played an "Apocalypse" game, but back in 2nd ed we'd do crazy 4v4 8000pts per side fights that'd take a whole weekend to play. Never got bad or boring, but beer and bonghits help that out.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Epic Armageddon was fantastic and had better vehicle models than 40k at the time.

Apocalypse was terrible, and it didn't need to be. They could have streamlined the hell out of it to facilitate massive forces, but then people would cry about it not feeling like 40k.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Corrode posted:

We played again, about 12k a side again, 2v2. Turns out Apoc drags hard even when you have a good organiser doing stuff like adding custom-built objectives which give infantry crazy bonuses so they're actually meaningful. I had 1000pts of deep strikers who did nothing because there was literally nowhere to land them. Fun!

The only way to do Apoc 'right' is floorhammer so you can have a massive amount of room for maneuvers.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
The only reason to play Apoc was to roll as Chaos and use that FW doomsday device that gave you the ability to issue demands to other players and laugh maniacally.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

PierreTheMime posted:

The only reason to play Apoc was to roll as Chaos and use that FW doomsday device that gave you the ability to issue demands to other players and laugh maniacally.

Wait what?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Chiwie posted:

The only way to do Apoc 'right' is floorhammer so you can have a massive amount of room for maneuvers.

Implying any ham past the age of 12 has the knees to floorhammer.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Artum posted:

Wait what?

http://www.oocities.org/shinjukumouichido/doomsdaydevice.pdf

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Hra Mormo posted:

Implying any ham past the age of 12 has the knees to floorhammer.

This is a good point.

This is the best thing ever.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Is it sometimes worth taking less than great options to be able to form another detachment thinger to get bonus CP?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Lungboy posted:

Is it sometimes worth taking less than great options to be able to form another detachment thinger to get bonus CP?

Depends on how starved you are for CP and how many points we’re talking. Astra Militarum, Tyranid, and a few others can take decent units for minimal points for another Battalion. Other armies can often work around other detachments for a +1 bonus but Battalion can be tough to get without blowing too many points.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Thats fantastic, whenever the local ends up doing that campaign im definitely gonna port the rules for that.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

PierreTheMime posted:

Depends on how starved you are for CP and how many points we’re talking. Astra Militarum, Tyranid, and a few others can take decent units for minimal points for another Battalion. Other armies can often work around other detachments for a +1 bonus but Battalion can be tough to get without blowing too many points.

It's for GK at 2k points. It seems hard enough making a list I like the look of without fannying around trying to squeeze out every last CP, but it can be done using Servitors etc.

e: I can manage a battalion and a vanguard easily enough, any more than that and I don't like what I'm adding.

e2: Have a 2k pure GK list. Please critique the gently caress out of it as I haven't fielded my GK since before Dreadknights existed:

code:
Voldus 190

gm nemesis dreadknight 190
gatling psilencer 20
heavy psycannon 30
teleporter 10
Sanctuary
Nemesis Daemon Greathammer 15
Warlord - First to the Fray

strike squad 95
Falchions
Psilencer 4
Storm bolters 8

strike squad 95
Falchions
Psilencer 4
Storm bolters 8

strike squad 95
Falchions
Psilencer 4
Storm bolters 8
-----------------------------Battalion 776pts
paladins 159
2x paladins 106
4x halberd
3x storm bolter 6
2x psilencer 20
daemonhammer 13

Paladin Ancient 140
Psilencer 10

Apothecary 90

Brotherhood Champion 113
Stormbolter 2
------------------------------Vanguard 659
FW landraider 255
Multimelta 27

Stormraven 172
Hurricane Bolters 8
Twin lascannon 50
Typhoon Missile Launcer 50
------------------------------Heavy Support 562

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 10, 2018

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

“Kiss my ring or I’m throwing the game” drat this is perfect.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Apocalypse is just a big game of 40K. IMO that means you still need to respect the fundamental requirements for a good game of 40K, like having enough terrain and space as well as having enough players. Having the tables be 6' deep seems to help with that depending on the space.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Corrode posted:

Or yeah I would play Epic in a heartbeat if they'd hurry up and re-release it.

As a former Epic player, I'm gonna hold you to that one!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
The problem with Apocalypse is that it *is* "just a big game of 40k." Terrain is necessary, and deeper tables help, but it still doesn't solve the problems when every inch of table is packed with units that can fire across.

The only interesting thing about the Apocalypse rules was that they had a mechanic for scoring VPs at every break, and a way to spend won VPs on in-game effects, but even these aren't that exciting because a game of Apocalypse takes 8 hours and typically only lasts 4 actual turns

For Apocalypse games to be fun, you either need to split them across multiple tables, distribute armies such that you have many people bringing small forces, e.g. 500-1000 points (like games day events used to do), or play godzilla-style games where it's just large titans clashing. I'm not sure how you can make them work with infantry without bogging the game down to the point where each turn takes forever (and the first two turns are just removing tons crap from the table after spending two hours setting up anyways).

Really, you're better off playing Epic for games of that scale if you want to involve infantry

Foul Ole Ron posted:

And yet, my gaming group insists on Apocalypse size games for every battle of a campaign being run.

And they bitch about how long it takes. Cognitive dissonance is a scary thing.

I get why people fall in love with Apocalypse. you imagine these huge, epic battles where you bring all your poo poo and it's gonna be SO AWESOME and then you eventually play a few and realize that you'd rather actually finish a game and not have it take 8 hours

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You could probably work infantry if you mandated a positioning template ("here's a square cookie cutter, put that somewhere and fit your unit in it") and mandated that non-character units all fire at the same target. Basically import Epic's infantry squares.

You could probably work apocalypse by splitting the board into concurrent table games, and keep the gimmick of "random giant robots loving poo poo up" by letting titan-sized stuff fire across tables with a hit penalty.

You could also just not play apocalypse :v:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Serotonin posted:

As a former Epic player, I'm gonna hold you to that one!

At one point I had a project to get Crimson Fists in every conceivable system. I still have the BFG fleet but Epic was in its dying days when I tried it, so it never really got anywhere. The games I did play were really fun and I'd love an updated version with actual model support rather than scrounging poo poo off eBay.

Re: Apoc Chirurgeon's post is v. good and covers everything imo. We were on a 12x6 with great terrain and it was still just a mash in the middle 12" and then everything else being basically static. And the one guy's giant Phantom titan which is bigger than a 3 year old.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I want to see an army carrying tote that doubles as an Apocalypse vehicle. Make it happen GW

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

“Kiss my ring or I’m throwing the game” drat this is perfect.

Given the range on it if its in your own deployment it does seem like a lot of "submit to my demands or I'll kill myself!"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Artum posted:

Given the range on it if its in your own deployment it does seem like a lot of "submit to my demands or I'll kill myself!"

Are there any chaos shenanigans applicable to warp it around? It cant move on its own but IDK if that applies to being forcibly moved.

Speaking of, seems weird that a game of giant men with power fists doesn't have any "punch things out of position" gimmicks. Has any edition ever had something like that? Like say, a silly mechanicus harpoon gun elite that could pull models into range of their nigh-immobile robots.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Artum posted:

6D6" averages out to 21, so it's perfect for annihilating everything of yours and bothering your opponent not at all. If you deepstrike it, you just know the 6 1s are coming up and it'll lightly graze some Scouts or Gretchin and nothing else.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Neurolimal posted:

Are there any chaos shenanigans applicable to warp it around? It cant move on its own but IDK if that applies to being forcibly moved.

Speaking of, seems weird that a game of giant men with power fists doesn't have any "punch things out of position" gimmicks. Has any edition ever had something like that? Like say, a silly mechanicus harpoon gun elite that could pull models into range of their nigh-immobile robots.

Orks used to have the Lifta-Droppa and Knights can throw vehicles around right now.

Anacharis Scoria
Jan 5, 2018

The Xanophane Tyrant, The Fallen Master, Lord of the Nine Cohorts, The Apostate Magister

Neurolimal posted:

Orks used to have the Lifta-Droppa and Knights can throw vehicles around right now.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Anacharis Scoria posted:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I had a game where a Warlord titan flattened a Knight, threw it and took out two more Knights.

That was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005