Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Crabtree posted:

Well he is a Republican so I'm always curious at how bloodthirsty the man can be, combined with his speed that we are still hearing about everything he's done when its far to late to stop it as its already occurred days, if not months ago, save for Trump having the balls to just mass fire everything.

And if not Mueller, what about Rosenstein or the FBI as a whole, after a year or two of being poo poo talked by the administration and the right over and over, just snapping right around October.

So basically Mueller is Ozmandias and Trump is Night Owl?

dogtax is my avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bubbacub posted:

Didn't that flavor get invented by a janitor at the company? I've never tried them, but it's a :3: story

Yes, and they are making the story into a movie.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Griffen posted:

Speaking as a Christian from the South, I think a bigger issue is that the religion as a whole has been dumbed-down by Evangelicals. Tim Keller did an interesting article outlining how Evangelicals have stopped being evangelical, that is, the political block no longer represents or upholds the tenets of the faith (https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/can-evangelicalism-survive-donald-trump-and-roy-moore). It is a sad joke now how Evangelicals failed the most absurd of hypothetical tests: would you support a known philanderer, would you support a legitimately accused child molester? The fact that the GOP and its Evangelical wing came out in full-throated support of Trump and Roy Moore shows just how fall they've fallen.

To me, it stems from the fact that Evangelicals don't really understand Christianity, so of course they don't practice it. Growing up, most sermons I heard involved what not to do, but very little about to do. When you look at Christianity from a perspective of wrongs, you begin to judge people by wrongs. Add onto that our human nature to want to see ourselves in a good light, we'll craft that to where we look at other people's faults to such an extreme extent so we don't see our own. Case in point is homosexuality and "the defense of marriage." Marriage is a sacrament, and yes, it should be defended. Yet notice how quiet Evangelicals are about adultery? Infidelity, financial woes, mid-life crises - these are all far more likely to end a marriage than one of them somehow being overcome by "the gay agenda" or something. Yet homosexuality is trumpeted and banged on the war drums far more than adultery. My hunch is that is because more Evangelicals are likely to have their own infidelities (and thus don't want to call attention to it) than are homosexual themselves - thus it is a perfect distraction for them to base their cognitive dissonance on, i.e. "I'm better than those gays."

The problem is, that's not how Christianity works. Even if there was a massive Gay Agenda (TM) based out of 'Frisco, I as a Christian shouldn't care. The apostle Paul wrote in 1st Corinthians 5:12-13 "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. 'Expel the wicked person from among you.'" as an instruction that we're not the world's moral police. Christians are to witness what we know, but we have no right or authority to impose the Gospel onto others. If Christianity was supposed to usher in some theocratic nation-state, Jesus would have done it himself. Likewise, you don't hear too many Evangelicals trumpeting Jesus' line from Matthew 22:37 “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Evangelicals have lost this. These aren't hidden messages, or ambiguous teachings. You don't need a theology degree to understand this, but most Evangelicals are ignorant of it, because to them Christianity is no longer an obligation on their own actions in fealty to God, but a measuring stick to prove their worth over other people and a political cudgel.

In the past few years Evangelicals have done more damage to the Christian message than since probably the Jim Crow era, at it really bothers me. The Atlantic had a good article about how they got here, but it reads like a preventable tragedy (https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/04/the-last-temptation/554066/). I think a good observation to point out is that the more liturgical denominations (Catholic, Anglican, Methodist, etc.) tend to be a bit better about staying evangelical, and not Evangelical, as there is less focus on "everything is open to your own interpretation."

Thank you very much for this post, this is exactly the sort of introspection and open conversation that I personally feel Christianity in the US needs right now. While I myself am not a Christian and have no intention of joining the church, I was very much raised as a Christian and indeed was raised in the heart of the Evangelical political machine. I genuinely think that posts like yours above, (and the discussions they will hopefully Inspire amongst other Christians)- are one of the healthiest things the average Christian can do for our country right now.

So again from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's always Infrastructure Week down here.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/JTSantucci/status/983718041035988992

i think trump is starting to realize how hosed he is if he doesn't even think he can talk his way out of this anymore

So, now he knows they know what he knows, and so he can't lie about it. lol

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Soonmot posted:

So basically Mueller is Ozmandias and Trump is Night Owl?

dogtax is my avatar

I'm just saying the right has really stacked the deck against themselves potentionally with a petty and able organization that has spiked an election at least once before.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Xae posted:

Every time Dukat says "I did it for Cardassia" mentally replace it with "I did it for the Reich" and see if he is "morally grey".

Yeah, he's one of the most direct Nazi metaphors there is. That he's charismatic makes him more of a "I love to hate him" rather than "I love him" character.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Xae posted:

Every time Dukat says "I did it for Cardassia" mentally replace it with "I did it for the Reich" and see if he is "morally grey".

I'm not saying the guy isn't evil. He is clearly evil. I would have preferred if he died trying to undo his horrible mistakes, which he seemed to realize for a bit after a personal tragedy. Instead he tells his apprentice to do it while he continues being evil.

The entire Cardassian state is evil, and one of the brilliant things ds9 did was cast actors for Cardassia who could be extremely charismatic, which makes you forget how evil they are.

Damar is certainly not a good guy, and Garak is not either. The two of them are morally questionable at best, benign evil at worst

I was not trying to imply Gul Dukat ever did anything that made him a "good guy," jesus no. My bad for the misunderstanding.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 10, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Everyone thinks "If people just read christianity and the bible right they'd have the same values as me!". On all sides. The bible says enough stuff you can justify anything and declare anyone as doing it wrong. (and I'm applying this to both evangelicals with their readings AND people saying "evangelicals aren't real christians, if they read the bible right they'd have my exact faith!"). Every denomination thinks they read the bible right. It's not a useful part of an argument.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

canepazzo posted:

Speaking of :abuela:, this is hilarious:

https://twitter.com/politicalmiller/status/983690174415687680

I imagine Trump will withdraw Pompeo's nomination now.

Why the gently caress wouldn't he just ask Condoleeza Rice or Colin Powell? Oh, right.

Nevermind guys, I put it together.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Gul Dukat's whole excellent morally gray character got ruined by the dumb over the top pah wraith villain garbage and it makes me sad :(

Dukat was never morally grey, he was just superficially charming. He was already a genocidaire and a serial rapist before he went nuts. People thinking there was some good to the character because he was charming is why they had to make him chew the walls.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I just realized I mentally switched gul dukat and garrick and I was freaking out at the bad opinions this thread had.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Crow Jane posted:

Yeah, Reverend Richard Wayne Gary Wayne of Indiana

Aww man, for half a second I thought there was a Mr Show sketch I'd never seen before.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Oh neat.

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister/status/983720452412575744

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Prester Jane posted:

Thank you very much for this post, this is exactly the sort of introspection and open conversation that I personally feel Christianity in the US needs right now. While I myself am not a Christian and have no intention of joining the church, I was very much raised as a Christian and indeed was raised in the heart of the Evangelical political machine. I genuinely think that posts like yours above, (and the discussions they will hopefully Inspire amongst other Christians)- are one of the healthiest things the average Christian can do for our country right now.

So again from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

It saddens me to see people in my family or friends fall in line with the Evangelical/GOP/Fox machine, so one of my hopes is that the whole Trump saga explodes in their face enough to make them sit back and wonder "what just happened, did I make a mistake?" I know that for many of them it will be just another exercise in cognitive dissonance, but I want to hope that some will learn from their mistakes. I do believe that mainline protestants/Evangelicals need to have a "come to Jesus" moment where they realize that while Christianity is about grace being extended to them by God, it comes with the expectation that they then extend grace to their fellow Man. That was something that I didn't really get until college, so I hope they figure it out sooner or later, and then take action to make amends for their errors.

In the mean time, I'm glad that my post was of some use to you. I think its moments like that, that is what evangelicalism is all about.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

AvesPKS posted:

Aww man, for half a second I thought there was a Mr Show sketch I'd never seen before.

I mean, you should probably watch The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt regardless

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

"Know what not to do but not what to do" is an interesting interpretation and is probably the closest to the truth than anything else. Focusing entirely on what you cannot do creates the illusion that if you just don't do those things then you are a Good Person, which is of course not true. It is also a incredibly easy thing to do, if you want to be a good person then don't be gay, zero effort (unless you are really gay, of course).

Growing up tangentially catholic I am not a big fan of organized religion, but I have huge respect for those of the faith that actually go out and follow it. If a person can be a good person without the bible then they can be a good person with it. It just blows my mind that people can actually read it and not understand a word that it says.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Everyone thinks "If people just read christianity and the bible right they'd have the same values as me!". On all sides. The bible says enough stuff you can justify anything and declare anyone as doing it wrong. (and I'm applying this to both evangelicals with their readings AND people saying "evangelicals aren't real christians, if they read the bible right they'd have my exact faith!"). Every denomination thinks they read the bible right. It's not a useful part of an argument.

Yes, it is truly the people who never actually read it but google "bible gays bad" who have the most useful takes, thank you OOCC

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I just realized I mentally switched gul dukat and garrick and I was freaking out at the bad opinions this thread had.

Garak is the best depiction of a double agent I think I have ever seen.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Those are definitely two very, very different characters.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

I don't believe any of those people sign off on this without convincing themselves with the evidence they already have that they could convict Cohen of serious crimes. And I don't believe you get his communications with Trump without each one of those people also convincing themselves that (assuming Trump was a private citizen and could be prosecuted) that they'd convict him as well. And every one of those people knew they'd face substantial political blowback anyway, even if the search uncovered a literal dead body. And they all know the longer a gap between the search and when they bring whatever charges they're contemplating, the more severe that blowback gets and the more likely it is Trump manages to fire key people to try and derail it.

Trump just got treated like a mob boss, and his lawyer just got treated like a mob lawyer, very publicly, by a number of people who had every reason not to do that unless they could back it up. Some bad poo poo for Donald Trump is going to go down, and it's going to go down soon.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that they have:

A) Correspondence where Cohen discussed doing something flagrantly illegal and indicated it was for Trump,
B) Supporting information (bank records showing that the fraudulent transaction went through, etc), AND
C) the recent subpoena should have returned those documents but mysteriously did not, or Cohen lied in his congressional testimony in a way that made them reasonably sure he wouldn't actually turn over the documents.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 10, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

I mean, you should probably watch The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt regardless

This, but know that there is at least one episode a season that is just "Tina Fey complains about how offended Millenials are" and they're always extremely bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arglebargle III posted:

Dukat was never morally grey, he was just superficially charming. He was already a genocidaire and a serial rapist before he went nuts. People thinking there was some good to the character because he was charming is why they had to make him chew the walls.

The only time people thought Dukat was a good guy was when his personal motivations just happened to line up with the heroes. He was always a fascist, just an incredibly self centered one who always looked out for himself. People can see his one man war against the Klingons as "noble", but the minute he got the chance he sold out the Federation to the Dominion so he could take back Cardassia and purge their pseudo Weimar Republic analogue to usher in the Super Reich.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

this isn't really true

the thing about the new testament is that what Jesus said was very simple and internally consistent. love thy neighbor, judge not lest ye be judged, etc. to get at all the nasty stuff that people have used Christianity to justify over two millennia you really have to ignore what Jesus says in favor of (a) the old testament, which Jesus specifically repudiates to the extent that it conflicts with his teachings, and (b) commentary in the New Testament by not-Jesus which is commentary by people who are not Jesus and even if you want to interpret everything as divine writ, you need to then interpret what they're saying as consistent with what Jesus said rather than the other way around.

there's a lot of things where you can argue over the bible despite that and maintain consistency with jesus's teachings. if you are entitled to salvation through works or grace, for example, is a very tricky theological question which has strong support in what Jesus said on both sides.

but when people say that evangelicals are not real Christians, they (and I) mean that evangelicals specifically disregard the overriding themes of Jesus's message. it's not a question of interpreting the bible differently, it's a question of an interpretation that simply cannot be squared with the text. you can't hate immigrants, hate blacks, hate the idea of charity to the less fortunate, and follow what Jesus preached. those are not compatible, full stop. you cannot justify a philosophy of hatred and division by reference to the bible without using an interpretation that is wrong.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ReidRansom posted:

So, now he knows they know what he knows, and so he can't lie about it. lol

Wait... they don't know we know they know we know!

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

TulliusCicero posted:

If it's anything like the Catholics I know, they despise him.

Most catholics in the US are socially liberal at this point, and definitely fiscally liberal.

Since Mexico is a very Catholic country, Catholics are likely to have in their social circle people who have been hurt by xenophobia.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

oh gently caress

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

The reason that religiosity in America is cratering is 2 reasons:

1. Their overall attitude towards gay people
2. Their reprehensible politics outside of that

The Southern Strategy has done more to destroy the American church than basically anything else. They're killing themselves.

Yep. I'm agnostic but I'm a pretty soft agnostic and would've stuck with the Church even though I think all the Trinity stuff is a bunch of hogwash because Jesus is a good dude who should be emulated but I can't square that with all the hypocrisy, bigotry and hatred that comes out of American Christianity so I left and I don't really regret it. Pretty much all the non-believers I know except the gently caress YOU DAD contingent left for similar reasons.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

Why the gently caress wouldn't he just ask Condoleeza Rice or Colin Powell? Oh, right.

Nevermind guys, I put it together.

He did:

quote:

But now that Pompeo faces a tough confirmation process to become secretary of state himself, he has reached out to Clinton and Kerry, as well as every other living occupant of the office, to ask for guidance. Clinton, for one, has been willing to help.

What's newsworthy is he reached out to Democrats as well as Republicans. He didn't only reach out to Democrats.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/JTSantucci/status/983718041035988992

i think trump is starting to realize how hosed he is if he doesn't even think he can talk his way out of this anymore

Clinton proxies need to troll him that she sat down with a regressive Mr. Ben Ghazi thing for 11 hours and if an old frail woman can do it he can do it too.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

We're about to destroy Syria, aren't we? :ohdear:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Those are definitely two very, very different characters.

I am just a simple moderator... but I almost thought the same thing. Haven't seen DS9 in too long.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

evilweasel posted:

I think that it's basically the end of the beginning. It's worth reiterating how big a deal this raid was. As Trump's people put it: Cohen was just very publicly treated like a mob lawyer. Everyone involved knew this was going to be national news, reviewed personally by the President, and get attacked by his allies. They had an incredibly high bar to clear even if Trump wasn't involved, and when Trump is added into the mix, then jesus. Take Mueller out, he's already pissed off Trump as much as possible. The other people who signed off on this were:

1) Rosenstein, a Trump appointee who knows that Trump continually considers firing him
2) The head of the DOJ criminal division, likely a Trump appointee
3) The Trump-donor, Trump-appointed, former law partner of Rudy Guliani US Attorney for SDNY who is an interim appointee and almost assuredly will not get the official nomination now. Approving this basically cost him his job.
4) A federal magistrate judge and/or a federal district judge (usually magistrate judges handle search warrants, but they are legally speaking basically just assistants to the district court judge - in a case of this magnitude I think it's possible that the district court judge independently reviewed and signed off on this rather than rubber-stamp the magistrate judge decision).

Trump just got treated like a mob boss, and his lawyer just got treated like a mob lawyer, very publicly, by a number of people who had every reason not to do that unless they could back it up. Some bad poo poo for Donald Trump is going to go down, and it's going to go down soon.

This is exactly why the idea of “Mueller going rogue” here is even more laughable an idea than usual from Trumpists.

This is the entire justice system signing off at every level on what needs to be an airtight case against the sitting president.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

BarbarianElephant posted:

Since Mexico is a very Catholic country, Catholics are likely to have in their social circle people who have been hurt by xenophobia.

I feel this is very regional, the Catholics I know are far more conservative. The old days of Catholics being liberal seem to have passed by. The seminaries churning out chud motherfuckers is really not helping the "Catholics are liberal" situation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Russia: "Gotta harass em all!"

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

Probably another half assed missile strike that accomplishing nothing in the end.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

He did:

What's newsworthy is he reached out to Democrats as well as Republicans. He didn't only reach out to Democrats.

thanks for this.

It ruins my joke, but that's fine.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Hollismason posted:

It's always bizarre to me that "Evangelical" Christians point to Leviticus to condemn homosexuals but never pay attention to the OT stuff about immigrants and how they should be treated.

Or the key takeaway from Jesus at the Last Supper saying "throw out all that old poo poo, you have a new commandment now to love one another" It's why I think the early Christian Councils screwed up by not throwing out the entire Old Testament and why they really should've just stock with the Gospels, Acts and Letters and had that as their holy book.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

evilweasel posted:

this isn't really true

the thing about the new testament is that what Jesus said was very simple and internally consistent. love thy neighbor, judge not lest ye be judged, etc. to get at all the nasty stuff that people have used Christianity to justify over two millennia you really have to ignore what Jesus says in favor of (a) the old testament, which Jesus specifically repudiates to the extent that it conflicts with his teachings, and (b) commentary in the New Testament by not-Jesus which is commentary by people who are not Jesus and even if you want to interpret everything as divine writ, you need to then interpret what they're saying as consistent with what Jesus said rather than the other way around.

there's a lot of things where you can argue over the bible despite that and maintain consistency with jesus's teachings. if you are entitled to salvation through works or grace, for example, is a very tricky theological question which has strong support in what Jesus said on both sides.

but when people say that evangelicals are not real Christians, they (and I) mean that evangelicals specifically disregard the overriding themes of Jesus's message. it's not a question of interpreting the bible differently, it's a question of an interpretation that simply cannot be squared with the text. you can't hate immigrants, hate blacks, hate the idea of charity to the less fortunate, and follow what Jesus preached. those are not compatible, full stop. you cannot justify a philosophy of hatred and division by reference to the bible without using an interpretation that is wrong.

The trick that they use is that the bible defines is all as sinners of some sort. That is why forgiveness through christ is important, and "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" means that no one can really cast blame.

But evangelicals say that if you don't do these things then you aren't sinners. Therefore all those ideas are bunk, because they dont apply to you, since you aren't a sinner.

It's total bull, of course, but that is what they try to pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Crows Turn Off posted:

I mean it's kind of half destroyed already.

• Locked thread