Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So... hey. Moved to a new house .Guess what? Someone tried loving breaking in. So here I am again looking for some thoughts. I still got a single nest camera, the issue is I am not allowed to drill holes through the wall to bring the power plug inside the house. Any opinions on Blinx cameras? Something that can be completely wireless is what I'm looking for, and supposedly its battery will last a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

The indoor nest cameras are very nice. I’d plug the indoor or outdoor one in the house facing the door. Also I didn’t make a hole in the wall but put it through a window made a small slit on the sliding window so it wouldn’t pinch the power cord. I did it in such a way that later I could unbend it.

Piggy Smalls fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 26, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Leal posted:

So... hey. Moved to a new house .Guess what? Someone tried loving breaking in. So here I am again looking for some thoughts. I still got a single nest camera, the issue is I am not allowed to drill holes through the wall to bring the power plug inside the house. Any opinions on Blinx cameras? Something that can be completely wireless is what I'm looking for, and supposedly its battery will last a while.

I've used the Canary Flex and the Arlo wireless, both of which will run a long time off their batteries.

They're both about equal, you'd just have to look at their features and see which one has the specific features you want the most.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Leal posted:

Battery life tends to be one to two months depending on how much motion you're seeing. Image quality isn't great but for the wireless battery cameras you aren't going to get a great image.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I've used the Canary Flex and the Arlo wireless, both of which will run a long time off their batteries.

They're both about equal, you'd just have to look at their features and see which one has the specific features you want the most.

My brother (for a change) did buy a few cameras, and they are the arlo ones. I'll look into those ones. I do see a lot of battery complaints though, legit complaint or user error?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I never had any particular problem with the batteries. I mean, I hated that they'd run down, but I never felt it was worse than could be expected.

How fast they'll run down depends in how often they're turned on by motion, so people are going to get wildly different run times.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Erwin posted:

Edit: Oh that's the complete opposite of what you asked for because you have to install Influxdb.

And yet I’m tempted. Hmm.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So.. Arlo camera question

How do I make it stop doing this, and please don't answer with a hyperlink to the get into contact page like every google search has done.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Step 1, relocate back to Earth from Mars.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Leal posted:

So.. Arlo camera question

How do I make it stop doing this, and please don't answer with a hyperlink to the get into contact page like every google search has done.

Seems like the IR-CUT filter isn't working. Some folks have given the camera a some light smacks to get the filter to move, but it may not be a permanent solution. It probably needs to be replaced by the manufacturer unless you really want to get into it and source some replacement parts:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Netgear+Arlo+Lens+Assembly+Replacement/103265

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
If it's pink all of the time then the sensor is shot. If it's pink during the day and black and white at night then the IR cut filter is shot. If it's a little bit of particulate in the way then a wack can dislocate it. But if the motor is shot then just replace it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I swapped it with another one then brought it inside in a dark room, it turned on its night vision then when I turned the light back on it had color just fine. I hope this isn't going to be a constant issue....

E: Oh hey the second camera is doing it took. For some reason both cameras we tried in the backyard have done this, meanwhile the camera in the front yard has no issue

Leal fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 30, 2018

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Leal posted:

I swapped it with another one then brought it inside in a dark room, it turned on its night vision then when I turned the light back on it had color just fine. I hope this isn't going to be a constant issue....

E: Oh hey the second camera is doing it took. For some reason both cameras we tried in the backyard have done this, meanwhile the camera in the front yard has no issue

The cut filter failing can be issues with the motor that moves the filter, loose connections for the wires that turn the motor on, particulate matter getting stuck inside where it makes a beeline for the grease on the axles that move the filter or thermal expansion issues. Basically none of these are worth trying to fix on an Arlo or anything cheaper then some of the very high end PTZs. Contact Netgear support and get them to RMA them.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
I'm happy to report that the new iOS updated fixed my sync HomeKit problems.

Are there any advanced routine programming tools for HomeKit lights (hue lights + sensors)?
I want to set up something along the lines of:

Starting at x o'clock set all lights that are currently on to gradually dim down and smoothly shift them away from their last set scene to the same color spectrum. Turning on a new lamp - regardless of methods used (dimmer, Siri or sensor) in any room during this time should also activate it in a matching state of color and light level. Manual overrides should also sync back to this main routine after the room/lamp gets turned off.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm having a tough time searching for a window AC unit (~10,000 BTU) that's compatible with my SmartThings setup.

Basically it just needs to restore prior settings whenever the power goes back on, since it'll be plugged into a zwave outlet. Unsurprisingly, this feature isn't advertised on AC units because it doesn't matter to 99% of people.

Anyone have any tips?

smoobles fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 31, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

smoobles posted:

I'm having a tough time searching for a window AC unit (~10,000 BTU) that's compatible with my SmartThings setup.

Basically it just needs to restore prior settings whenever the power goes back on, since it'll be plugged into a zwave outlet. Unsurprisingly, this feature isn't advertised on AC units because it doesn't matter to 99% of people.

Anyone have any tips?
I just loaded up the manual of a random GE window unit:

GE AEM12AX posted:

Power Outage Recovery Feature
In the case of a power outage or interruption, the unit will
automatically restart in the settings last used after the
power is restored. If the Delay 1-24hr feature was set, it
will resume countdown. You may need to set a new time
if desired.

AJCQ08ACG has terminals for a 24v thermostat, but it is much more expensive.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 1, 2018

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Make sure the zwave outlet can take the amperage of an AC unit, last I heard they really weren’t meant for high load appliances.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Make sure the zwave outlet can take the amperage of an AC unit, last I heard they really weren’t meant for high load appliances.

Mine (Aeotec) is good up to 15W, and they have others that are fine for 240V appliances.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The iHome outlets I have specifically mention being usable for AC units, which is what I got them for.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Cool, guess I’m just not up to date. Haven’t really looked at smart plugs in a while, but guess I should again.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

smoobles posted:

Anyone have any tips?

I think you just need a unit that either has auto-resume, like posted above, or a unit with manual controls, something like:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigida...211R1/206734517

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

So, I just finished installing a Rheem heat pump water heater with EcoNet. Expensive for a water heater ($1200 vs $500 for a conventional), but supposedly I'm going to save $400+ a year in energy savings.

Anyway, it's got an app for setting water temperature and changing between energy saving modes. It's OK. I wouldn't have paid extra for it, but its kinda neat and homeassistant supports it so I could set it up to change modes based on where I am or the temperature outside or whether it's a full moon.

This brings me to my next item: I've finally got around to really digging in with Home Assistant and man it's pretty cool! I'm running it on a Raspberry Pi via hass.io. I've linked it up to smartthings and basically just use the smartthings as a bridge to zwave and zigbee devices and do all my automation in home assistant.

"homeassistant", "home assistant", "Home Assistant"? gently caress if I know. This thing.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

So, I just finished installing a Rheem heat pump water heater with EcoNet. Expensive for a water heater ($1200 vs $500 for a conventional), but supposedly I'm going to save $400+ a year in energy savings.

Anyway, it's got an app for setting water temperature and changing between energy saving modes. It's OK. I wouldn't have paid extra for it, but its kinda neat and homeassistant supports it so I could set it up to change modes based on where I am or the temperature outside or whether it's a full moon.

This brings me to my next item: I've finally got around to really digging in with Home Assistant and man it's pretty cool! I'm running it on a Raspberry Pi via hass.io. I've linked it up to smartthings and basically just use the smartthings as a bridge to zwave and zigbee devices and do all my automation in home assistant.

"homeassistant", "home assistant", "Home Assistant"? gently caress if I know. This thing.

I call it HASS now and use the Hassio containerized version on a r-pi3.

I love it. It's on-premise so I can secure it. It has tremendous device support, but has a massive learning curve to be able to configure and automate the way you want. If you are semi-technical and willing to spend many hours you will become proficient. But if you want something where you do everything in a web interface and it mostly works the first time, it's not something I would recommend.

I am in the process of setting up lights in several rooms to activate when someone enters and turn off after inactivity. It's going to take some time to find the right sensors and have them professionally installed. The programming on HASS should take part of a Saturday.

I imagine the community of script examples will grow very rapidly so you can borrow and tweak rather than have to create from scratch.

The sun and moon sensors are one of my favorites. On the more ridiculous end there is a coinbase sensor that can be used to trigger automations.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Has anyone tried both OpenHAB and HASS that could speak to the differences? I’ve been purely OpenHAB for the last year and with three different deployments I’m pretty comfortable with it, but I am curious about how well a purely python solution works for this kind of thing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Whichever is better, home assistant being python will have no bearing on the outcome.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

ickna posted:

Has anyone tried both OpenHAB and HASS that could speak to the differences? I’ve been purely OpenHAB for the last year and with three different deployments I’m pretty comfortable with it, but I am curious about how well a purely python solution works for this kind of thing.

Well OpenHAB is JavaScript, so it's not like it's got any advantage over Python there. Personally Python is a selling point for me just because I'm very comfortable with the language if I want/need to do some hacking around, but it shouldn't be a factor from an end user perspective.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Whoa, I didn't even consider this combination being a thing. I have SmartThings and it's annoying as hell to cobble automations together in the app. I'd much rather write some python.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, this got my attention. Which system exposes devices to, e.g., an Echo?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Hubis posted:

Well OpenHAB is JavaScript, so it's not like it's got any advantage over Python there. Personally Python is a selling point for me just because I'm very comfortable with the language if I want/need to do some hacking around, but it shouldn't be a factor from an end user perspective.

As far as I know OpenHab is written in Java, but the language doesn’t really have any bearing on usability or extensibility. You shouldn’t have to hack in the core application at all. They both have extensible APIs for adding device and service support.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, this got my attention. Which system exposes devices to, e.g., an Echo?

Home Assistant can expose basically any item to Echo utilizing its built in Hue Emulator. Basically it fakes being a Philips Hue Bridge. Via this route however you can only turn on/off or set things to a percentage. But if that's all you want to do, then it works fantastically.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

stevewm posted:

Home Assistant can expose basically any item to Echo utilizing its built in Hue Emulator. Basically it fakes being a Philips Hue Bridge. Via this route however you can only turn on/off or set things to a percentage. But if that's all you want to do, then it works fantastically.

They've upgraded the Alexa support; it isn't done via Hue emulation anymore, there's a native Alexa skill. You can either set it up yourself (which is free, but requires more config/you to do an Amazon dev account/exposing your HASS instance to the internet) or pay for them to run the Alexa endpoint for you, in which case HASS autoconfigures a bunch of stuff for you and they run everything.

Hue emulation still exists, I think, but is disfavored since it breaks more easily and everything looks like a light bulb.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Home Assistant also works with Google Assistant (aka, Google Homes, or Android, or the app on ios) and you can basically configure it to do anything...you don't even have to go "talk to home assistant" or whatever.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thermopyle posted:

Home Assistant also works with Google Assistant (aka, Google Homes, or Android, or the app on ios) and you can basically configure it to do anything...you don't even have to go "talk to home assistant" or whatever.

Yeah, not having to prefix everything would be really nice. :smith:

Ledif
Sep 5, 2012
I really like Home Assistant and have spent a lot of time setting up my install/config. It does a great job bringing together a bunch of different smart devices so they can all work with each other. Definitely some headaches and long Saturdays spent troubleshooting but personally I enjoy it. Like people have said, the learning curve can be somewhat steep, but I think that HASS.io is meant to be more approachable for beginners or less technically inclined people.

Erwin posted:

Whoa, I didn't even consider this combination being a thing. I have SmartThings and it's annoying as hell to cobble automations together in the app. I'd much rather write some python.

If you want to write automations in pure python, you'll want to check out Appdaemon which runs alongside a Home Assistant install. I have all of this stuff in docker containers and setup is pretty easy. I just recently set up something that syncs my wakeup (lights, thermostat, humidifier) routine to whatever time I set my Google Home alarm.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

This still requires some config (and exposing your instance to the cloud), though they're working on getting Google approval for a Home 'skill' or whatever that would work the same as the Alexa skill (easier config, no need to expose a port to the internet.)

They're also finishing up HomeKit integration so that you can use Siri to control things, if you are on the Apple side of things. (There's an existing addon, Homebridge, that does this as well.) Basically everything will be supported within a release or two - right now it's a subset (lights, covers, climate, some sensors, maybe some other stuff.)

But yeah basically HASS is good, and if you're semi-competent with computers you can make it do lots of fun tricks.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kalman posted:

This still requires some config (and exposing your instance to the cloud), though they're working on getting Google approval for a Home 'skill' or whatever that would work the same as the Alexa skill (easier config, no need to expose a port to the internet.)

They're also finishing up HomeKit integration so that you can use Siri to control things, if you are on the Apple side of things. (There's an existing addon, Homebridge, that does this as well.) Basically everything will be supported within a release or two - right now it's a subset (lights, covers, climate, some sensors, maybe some other stuff.)

But yeah basically HASS is good, and if you're semi-competent with computers you can make it do lots of fun tricks.

Well, this is pleasing news. If I ever buy a home, it would be nice to have Nests as an out-of-box option.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I just got a WyzeCam V2 because I'm a cheap butthead who saw the web price and features and grabbed one up at $20 straight from the company.

There's other features and stuff you can get from their website: https://www.wyzecam.com
I'm only mentioning the stuff relevant to my interests:

Pros:

PRICE! - $20 for 1080P!
Has infrared emitters (four 850 nm infrared LEDs) and night vision mode
Has microphone and speaker so you can say hello to your cats while they look around confused that they can't see your body
Has microSD slot so you can record locally
Camera can be shared with anyone you send an invite to (but they have to sign up with Wyze for an account)
iOS and Android client viewing apps
magnet is in base of camera, they supply plain metal plate you can tape or glue to things
Stand is surprisingly adjustable
They seem to be constantly updating the firmware every few weeks, updates done via the app

Cons:

Camera only shares via WiFi and direct connection to Wyze's servers over Internet
Doesn't work on 5 GHz WiFi networks, you need either a dual band router or 2.4 GHz
no direct connect to USB port to use like a standard camera (USB only used for power, supposedly)
no direct connect application, video shared only via their server
Built in speaker kinda hissy
Lots of feedback during some voice attempts
no screw mount included
USB port is for power only
no client apps for macOS or Windows, not even a browser based app

If you have any questions I'll try to answer them best I can.

Overall it's pretty drat good for only :20bux: and if you can trust WyzeCam with your video it's pretty secure.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 14, 2018

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Can a WiFi indoor security system be hacked and people view my hidden sexual escapades without my knowledge?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Of course!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
As soon as you turn it on, someone, somewhere is watching you and pleasuring themselves.