Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: Oh poo poo, I get that and Artie Lange's Beerleague mixed up all the time.

Is that any good? Asking as someone who really liked Beerfest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's merely ok. If you got poo poo to do go check it out but don't expect comedy perfection.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Basically Artie Lange wrote a comedy, so you're comparing Artie Lange to Broken Lizard, and he will always look like a hack in that comparison. Which he mostly is, Artie Lange has always been an amateurish comedian who got lucky by tagging along with Norm Macdonald to the Stern show one day and for some reason Stern took a liking to him. By all rights his career should've been over 15 years ago, instead he got to spend the entire 2000's making huge money on a standup tour that sold tickets 100% off the back of Howard Stern's name.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I haven't seen it, but, I mean, it has Ralph Macchio in it. Has he been in anything good, besides My Cousin Vinny, and, I guess the first two Karate Kid movies (which I haven't seen in forever, so I have no idea if they hold up at all)?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

I haven't seen it, but, I mean, it has Ralph Macchio in it. Has he been in anything good, besides My Cousin Vinny, and, I guess the first two Karate Kid movies (which I haven't seen in forever, so I have no idea if they hold up at all)?

Macchio is actually pretty good in Beer League and stands out because he's actually a professional actor, unlike almost everyone else in the movie. But he's the straight man so it's not like he can carry the movie on his back. It's a serviceable comedy of the type you've seen done better about 1000 times.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Artie Lange has always been an amateurish comedian who got lucky by tagging along with Norm Macdonald

I need to watch Dirty Work again

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

What're the odds that Han says "Chewie, we're home" at the end of the movie as they get on the Falcon to make that line in TFA a callback? (Call forward? Callforbackward?)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

What're the odds that Han says "Chewie, we're home" at the end of the movie as they get on the Falcon to make that line in TFA a callback? (Call forward? Callforbackward?)

I can imagine him saying "It's no home. But, it'll do."

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

We're really overlooking the most important point here--what's that heavy-weapon walker that drops in? Is it a Clone Wars leftover AT-AP? Some new tank-destroyer variant of the AT-ST? I need answers.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

Probably the same as Chewie going "That's no home, its a space station."

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

I can guarantee they slip the dice in there somehow.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

They're in the trailer, even.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

tadashi posted:

I can guarantee they slip the dice in there somehow.

The official canon is Han used them to win the Falcon.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

You can tell the trailer is cut to deceive you about the unmitigated disaster this film is.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Trailers always lie, but it's not always easy to tell what they're lying about.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
It is in this case.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Madurai posted:

We're really overlooking the most important point here--what's that heavy-weapon walker that drops in? Is it a Clone Wars leftover AT-AP? Some new tank-destroyer variant of the AT-ST? I need answers.

Find out in the 'Cross Sections of Star Wars Solo: A Solo Star Wars Solo: Solo" Available at a bookstore if you can find one.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

Find out in the 'Cross Sections of Star Wars Solo: A Solo Star Wars Solo: Solo" Available at a bookstore if you can find one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1465466908

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

viral spiral posted:

You can tell the trailer is cut to deceive you about the unmitigated disaster this film is.

How is it unmitigated?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rom Howard is the definition of mitigation.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

viral spiral posted:

I can? Cool.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I legit hope Solo is awesome. The part in the trailer where he says, "190 years old?!?!" gave me the tiniest glimmer of hope it might be cool.

It could be all this negative press was just the ultimate evolution of ARG & marketing, slagging off your own movie in the press for a year so that when it's good it surprises everyone and makes an extra $100 million off word of mouth.

Or, you know, it sucks poo poo and we've now seen literally everything good in the first 2 trailers.

I JUST HOPE IT ANSWERS THE MYSTERY OF WHO HAND'S PARENTS ARE AND IF CHUEBACCA IS REALLY HIS BROTHER OR NOT AND DOES THEY HAVE THE FORCE

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They should have just made it space Lupin III.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

viral spiral posted:

They cut the trailer to try and make the movie look good instead of bad? Whaaat?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Alden Ehrenreich sounds like Harrison Ford impersonating a millennial. And i say this as someone born after 1990.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Detective No. 27 posted:

They should have just made it space Lupin III.

100% loving this.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

UmOk posted:

How is it unmitigated?

Multiple directors, a lovely lead actor, and a producer who cares about revenue more than anything else. Have you been living on a rock w/r/t to history of this film?

Oh, and they got the actress from an almost guaranteed equally lovely film: Terminator Genisys. Can Hollywood please stop trashing so many franchises?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Terminator 3 and 4 were about the same level of quality as Terminator ripoffs from the late 80s and early 90s, just vastly more expensive. The ship kinda sailed on that one a while ago.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

viral spiral posted:

Multiple directors, a lovely lead actor, and a producer who cares about revenue more than anything else. Have you been living on a rock w/r/t to history of this film?

I think the argument here is that all of the efforts to fix this, like new director and tons of reshoots, would probably qualify as an attempt to "mitigate" the disaster.

viral spiral posted:

Oh, and they got the actress from an almost guaranteed equally lovely film: Terminator Genisys. Can Hollywood please stop trashing so many franchises?

I see what you're saying, but really they got the actress from Game of Thrones, because that show is super popular, and lol at calling her the actress from that lovely Terminator movie.

"Can you believe for that movie Red they got the lovely actor from Hudson Hawk?!"

Just funny to me.

Also, yeah, as said above, the Terminator franchise was already at 50% when that movie came out.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

can I borrow your time machine

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Weird to single out Emelia Clarke's five or so words (the only woman who gets to speak at all, in the trailer) for criticism when Woody Harrelson is audibly snoring his way through several whole shots.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The guy I know who got to visit the set said Harrelson was just stoned the entire time. But you knew that.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

thrawn527 posted:

I see what you're saying, but really they got the actress from Game of Thrones, because that show is super popular, and lol at calling her the actress from that lovely Terminator movie.

"Can you believe for that movie Red they got the lovely actor from Hudson Hawk?!"

Just funny to me.

Also, yeah, as said above, the Terminator franchise was already at 50% when that movie came out.

Either she can't act, or she needs to fire her agent. She's been selecting terrible choices for film roles.

thrawn527 posted:

I think the argument here is that all of the efforts to fix this, like new director and tons of reshoots, would probably qualify as an attempt to "mitigate" the disaster.

The point was that all of these efforts were futile.

josh04 posted:

Weird to single out Emelia Clarke's five or so words (the only woman who gets to speak at all, in the trailer) for criticism when Woody Harrelson is audibly snoring his way through several whole shots.

I'm really disappointed in Harrelson for doing this film; it's likely going to break his consecutive streak of recent great roles in Apes and Three Billboards.

viral spiral fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 10, 2018

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

viral spiral posted:

Either she can't act, or she needs to fire her agent. She's been selecting terrible choices for film roles.

Different type of acting but I went to see her on Broadway and it was beyond terrible.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I honestly don't know much about Clarke. I don't watch Game of Thrones (because I read the books and I can't put myself through that misery again), so the only thing I've seen her in was her Terminator movie. Which, I mean, the sheer amount of problems with that movie make it so I don't really notice if she's any good or not. She seemed fine, but a ham sandwich would seem like a decent actor next to Jai Courtney, and the script doesn't give her anything interesting to do. So this movie is going to be the first real chance I have to see if she's alright.

I know popular opinion lately seems to be that she's a terrible actress, but I haven't seen evidence as to why yet.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
She's a really good actress but she's British, meaning that she doesn't give a poo poo about whatever movie she's in.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If you're going to be one of those British actors who just takes the piss in every movie you're in, don't be boring. Be a scenery-chewing maniac like Bruce Payne.

thrawn527 posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for someone to give Albert Pyun or Walter Hill like $100 million to make a Terminator movie.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Isn’t she mostly a stage actor.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

viral spiral posted:

Oh hey it's the exact same thing people said about Ant Man and as we all know they were totally right and it single-handedly destroyed one of the most popular film franchises one earth and superhero movies as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

viral spiral posted:

I think you might not understand the concept of mitigation