Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

NC having the best Republican senators in this whole ordeal was an unpredictable plot twist.

here, have a Carolina Dog puppy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Blindeye posted:

It also is class-based. All battleships and ICBM submarines are named after states, certain classes of attack subs after US cities, and many other classes after people, battles, etc.

Omg does that mean there's a USS Detroit out there?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I didn't know who Anton was, but turns out he was a huge sack of poo poo:

quote:

it was not easy to be an intellectual supporting Donald Trump for president in 2016. One of the few who did wrote under the pseudonym of Publius Decius Mus and penned his manifesto “The Flight 93 Election,” in September 2016. Decius explained his analogy: “2016 is the Flight 93 election: charge the cockpit or you die. … To compound the metaphor: a Hillary Clinton presidency is Russian Roulette with a semi-auto. With Trump, at least you can spin the cylinder and take your chances.”

“The Flight 93 Election” is a nasty piece of hackwork. Decius blasted D.C. conservatives as the “Washington Generals” of politics, somehow losing to the left on a regular basis (which I suspect would be news to those on the left). In decrying the state of America, Decius railed against many things, most notably that “the ceaseless importation of Third World foreigners with no tradition of, taste for, or experience in liberty means that the electorate grows more left, more Democratic, less Republican, less republican, and less traditionally American with every cycle.”

As I said, it was a nasty essay, but it had the virtue of being written in complete, coherent sentences. It therefore garnered outsized attention after Trump won.

I bring all this up because Decius was revealed to be Michael Anton, who was subsequently hired to be spokesman for the National Security Council.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Stick around for sandwich chat later!

I got some excellent curry making advice yesterday. Thanks Trumpchat!

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How much sin does Comey still have left to atone for for unleashing Trump on us?

He cannot atone. He doesn't have enough time left.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Jesus put a curse on a tree because he was mad at it

i thought the gospel that included this story didn't make the cut for the "official" bible

even if it did, it wouldn't be hard to justify: jesus is, according to the bible, human. he has emotions, and is allowed to be angry, and the bible doesn't consider trees people. if he cursed a person because he was mad at them you'd have a harder time, but the guy ran a herd of pigs off a cliff for the greater good and pigs are at least closer to people than trees are.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FizFashizzle posted:

NC having the best Republican senators in this whole ordeal was an unpredictable plot twist.

I think Jeff Flake is currently the “best” Republican senator because he’s stopped giving all fucks.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Tim Raines IRL posted:

It's been a long time since I watched much Simpsons, but what I remember is that Apu was generally a sympathetic and relatively smart character who spoke with an accent and was of obvious middle eastern descent. Stereotypes are dumb and toxic, but that does pretty exactly describe a really significant percentage of bodega owners I've known. What do they want? A white guy? A dark guy with no accent?

Shocking that a dude who refers to Apu as "obvious middle eastern" thinks stereotypes aren't a big deal

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So which branch did you side with during the Government Branch Civil War, granddad?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How much sin does Comey still have left to atone for for unleashing Trump on us?

Comey is actually the first incarnation of The Nameless One.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Koalas March posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Detroit

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, out of whole cloth because it's such a stupid story and they needed to try to explain it being something other than temper tantrum jesus. Nothing in the story mentions or references it in any way and it's clearly a story of "hey, prayer can do some great stuff" that makes a plot hole in later christianity.
He does this immediately before he clears the temple courts, dude

I'm not saying that it's a definitive interpretation but you don't get to pretend it's stupid on its face

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Koalas March posted:

Yes

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/adamdavidson/status/983670699884793856

Excellent thread explaining why Trump is making GBS threads his McDonald’s today.

Easier to read: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/983670699884793856.html

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Koalas March posted:

The US Navy used to name their heavy cruisers after major cities so there definitely used to be.

Edit: lol Detroit only warranted a light cruiser. SAD

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Macronism is a bit more involved than just "only the gospels.

Koalas March posted:

yes, it was in town a couple years ago on its way up the St Lawrence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Detroit

there have been 6 USS Detroits

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

He does this immediately before he clears the temple courts, dude

I'm not saying that it's a definitive interpretation but you don't get to pretend it's stupid on its face

also, given that he kicks tables and screams at people when clearing the temple courts jesus having a temper is nothing new

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Derails in general-chat threads (let's be honest, this is a chat thread) are usually interesting as long as the people posting have well formed opinions, you buncha whiners

Is y'alls scroll wheel broken or something

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Koalas March posted:

A Freedom Class ship no less!

evilweasel posted:

also, given that he kicks tables and screams at people when clearing the temple courts jesus having a temper is nothing new

He whipped the money changes. The only time he used violence was when he was delivering a beat down on people making money from God.

Xae fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 10, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

spoiler alert, hell is not real

Then why do I have to read your posts?

*zing*!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

evilweasel posted:

i thought the gospel that included this story didn't make the cut for the "official" bible

It's in mark AND matthew.

It is also the chapter where jesus does a weird little comedy act with some guy:

45 Philip found Nathanael and told him, “We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”

46 “Nazareth! Can anything good come from there?” Nathanael asked.

“Come and see,” said Philip.

47 When Jesus saw Nathanael approaching, he said of him, “Here truly is an Israelite in whom there is no deceit.”

48 “How do you know me?” Nathanael asked.

Jesus answered, “I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you.”

49 Then Nathanael declared, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the king of Israel.”

50 Jesus said, “You believe[a] because I told you I saw you under the fig tree. You will see greater things than that.” 51 He then added, “Very truly I tell you,[b] you[c] will see ‘heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending on’[d] the Son of Man.”

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hell, the old testament is pretty clear that god himself has a temper and that basically while god is never wrong sometimes he changes his mind

remember that whole time he flooded the world and then was like, well, maybe that was extreme, i promise i'll never do that again

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

sit on my Facebook posted:

Derails in general-chat threads (let's be honest, this is a chat thread) are usually interesting as long as the people posting have well formed opinions, you buncha whiners

Is y'alls scroll wheel broken or something

Mine actually broke this morning.

Fight me.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Alter Ego posted:

just fyi dude the puppetmaster defense is even dumber than your original take

I'm not puppet mastering if everyone is worked up over cohen before i ever posted? Is this some kind of reverse puppet master defense? dunno man you crazy as gently caress. Cohen isn't going to be in much trouble, he's best friends with the president and probably gets bjs from melania on the reg while trump watches. He's a rich guy who's been doing illegal poo poo all his life like most rich guys, he probably planned on getting caught some day like most rich guys who do illegal poo poo. Cohen's thoughts are probably more along the lines of "Welp its finally happening, plan b engage" rather than "Oh poo poo I might go to jail wow I never thought this would happen". Meanwhile Trump's cabinet or the other Republicans(or Democrats) are (probably) sneaking some nasty poo poo through while everyone is paying attention to this circus.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Prester Jane posted:

Personally I think the best story for getting a genuine Christian to do some interesting thanking is the story of Jepthath. Dude is basically the world leader of Israel at the time and is facing down a battle that he's really nervous about, so he makes a promise to Yahweh that he will make a burnt offering out of the first thing that walks through the front door of his house if he returns from battle victorious. When he returns from Battle Victorious the first thing to walk out the front door of his home is his beloved daughter, and he basically goes "whelp" and brutally murders her, chops are into little bits, puts her on a stone altar, and makes a human sacrifice to Yahweh.

In essence Yahweh gives us Victory on on the battlefield in exchange for human sacrifice.

It's a portion of the Bible that very few Christians are aware of because it is extraordinarily difficult for any variation of Christianity to inferpret the story of Jepthath in a way that makes sense to modern concepts of morality.

It seems like he failed the same test that God gave Abraham.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

evilweasel posted:

Jesus is a bit lovely with his "Pay taxes to the fascist invaders who are occupying your country" policy though

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/jonkarl/status/983734168134864898

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Koalas March posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mSZRkR8zfE:-)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So what does this mean?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm just gonna recuse myself from dumb takes for the day thx

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

eyebeem posted:

Mine actually broke this morning.

Fight me.

I will take the more Christ-like approach and give you a new scroll wheel

Not really, suck it nerd lol

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ok, I really want to see this warrant more and more.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

FizFashizzle posted:

here, have a Carolina Dog puppy

We're a purple state and Richard Burr and Thom Tillis are two of the most-in-lockstep Trump Senators and I hate them.

Also, I'm wondering if you guys would have an idea of what to do with a particularly interesting piece of information:

Thom Tillis is 100% gay. I have a gay friend who knows Thom, and he used to hang out at gay clubs all the time back in the 80s (while he's in office doing stuff to undermine LGBT rights). This has never come up in any election that Thom Tillis has ever been involved in, somehow. Is the fact that my buddy absolutely, positively knows that he's a huge hypocrite, and probably knows a dozen other people who would testify to the same, something that would be weaponizable against him next time he's up in 2020?

I do understand that outing someone as a political attack is a moral minefield, but I think a case can be made for a person who is actively harming other gay people. Any opinions?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Bubbacub posted:

The last USN Perry-class was decommissioned in 2015, so that frigate either belongs to an ally or we've got sailors floating in a rusty trash can.

Maybe it's a Freedom class and the reporter is an idiot.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gort posted:

Jesus is a bit lovely with his "Pay taxes to the fascist invaders who are occupying your country" policy though

as i recall that story isn't an instruction that you must follow civil law, more that by following civil law you're not automatically violating his teachings. the question wasn't do people have to comply with civil laws, but if they are allowed to. you don't get a free pass to be exempt from all earthly laws because you're a christian, but that doesn't mean that you must or even are allowed to follow laws that require you to do something that is wrong.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I wanna shoot a music video on that boat. Idgaf

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

theflyingorc posted:

We're a purple state and Richard Burr and Thom Tillis are two of the most-in-lockstep Trump Senators and I hate them.

Also, I'm wondering if you guys would have an idea of what to do with a particularly interesting piece of information:

Thom Tillis is 100% gay. I have a gay friend who knows Thom, and he used to hang out at gay clubs all the time back in the 80s (while he's in office doing stuff to undermine LGBT rights). This has never come up in any election that Thom Tillis has ever been involved in, somehow. Is the fact that my buddy absolutely, positively knows that he's a huge hypocrite, and probably knows a dozen other people who would testify to the same, something that would be weaponizable against him next time he's up in 2020?

I do understand that outing someone as a political attack is a moral minefield, but I think a case can be made for a person who is actively harming other gay people. Any opinions?

don't weaponize anybody's sexuality.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Bubbacub posted:

The last USN Perry-class was decommissioned in 2015, so that frigate either belongs to an ally or we've got sailors floating in a rusty trash can.

It's probably an LCS which was redesignated as a class to an FFG

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 10, 2018

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So what does this mean?

He was appointed by Trump.

theflyingorc posted:

Tillis is going out of his way to get Mueller protected, and Burr isn't running again and hates Trump's guts. Yeah they voted for the tax cut and gutting the ACA, but I didn't say good senators. At the end of the day they're still republicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bubbacub posted:

I didn't know who Anton was, but turns out he was a huge sack of poo poo:

lol. i love how all this faux intellectuals name themselves after some roman senators or generals. like i like some roman figures but lol at this weird deification of them.

poo poo like this makes me think poo poo is really, really bad for trump and that alot of GOP types will toss trump under the bus to save themselves if its this bad.

• Locked thread