Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Yinlock posted:

has anyone ever asked this in the history of words
yes after a couple of acceptable appearances vs tory junior ministers when corbyn was properly in the wilderness during the post brexit/labour leadership vote days he was hailed as the best thing since sliced bread by UKMT posters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Byolante posted:

You realise the first paragraph and the second are mutually exclusive right?

as in you think all points listed in the first paragraph are blocked / forbidden by the EU? or was it just one in particular

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Forums Terrorist posted:

Hey remember in 2010 when it was a three way split between the tories, blairite labour and the Lib Dems, and the Lib Dems, being of course a centre left party, went into coalition with labour?
No, I remember it being a split between the Tories, Brown's labour party, and the Lib Dems in England, plus a clown car of Labour-hostile nationalists that Labour would have to coalition with alongside the Lib Dems.

Would've been nice if the Lib Dems had not been so vain that they wanted Brown's head, would've been even nicer if there weren't turncoat lib dem voters too stupid to realise that the LDs would definitely have voted for the Iraq War if they were in government (see their support of the campaigns in Libya and Syria).

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

wonder which labour staffer got tell Corbyn yesterday that Nick Griffin of all people endorsed him

quote:

IF he sticks to his guns then for 1st time in my life I will vote #Labour - right now NOTHING is more important than resisting the psychotic rush to #WW3 of Boris & the #neocons Corbyn refuses to blame Assad for chemical attack in #Syria https://dailym.ai/2GJjEyt via @MailOnline

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Yinlock posted:

Pissflaps is right. Barry was really good and aggressive on a few telly appearances last year and people got excited by him and oops.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Yinlock posted:

Yes. Many people here and elsewhere during the 2017 election.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Cerv posted:

as in you think all points listed in the first paragraph are blocked / forbidden by the EU? or was it just one in particular

I mean feel free to lash yourself to the mast of the Good ship weidmann but the only place you are going is the bottom of the sea

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Byolante posted:

You realise the first paragraph and the second are mutually exclusive right?

Can you explain why?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Byolante posted:

I mean feel free to lash yourself to the mast of the Good ship weidmann but the only place you are going is the bottom of the sea

what?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don’t think he’s negotiating with a full set of member states if you get my drift.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nick Griffin is against jumping into yet another war therefore we should be in favour. I am a Sensible Adult.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Pissflaps posted:

Those are the sort of things that could get me interested in a new centre left party.

Since brexit will have likely already happened by the next election, you want a party that has a reasonable chance of forming a majority after it's first GE with it's main policy differences from Labour being "Don't raise the corporation tax" and "More foreign intervention"? And this is what it would take for them to get your vote?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

he didn't actually say he was for more intervention tho, he said, exact words, a "grown up foreign and defence policy".

it's completely without meaning, which means the reader can attribute any old poo poo lmao

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Gum posted:

Since brexit will have likely already happened by the next election, you want a party that has a reasonable chance of forming a majority after it's first GE with it's main policy differences from Labour being "Don't raise the corporation tax" and "More foreign intervention"? And this is what it would take for them to get your vote?

I didn’t say don’t raise corporation tax I said don’t pretend it’ll pay for everything.

And I’m certain that relations with the EU will dominate British politics for some time after Brexit.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-43710526

Bully these old pieces of poo poo

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Vitamin P posted:

just lol if you think a new centrist party wouldnt gently caress labour completely

I actually read an article today arguing the opposite - that it would mostly screw the tories and I found it pretty convincing:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2018/04/it-s-tories-not-labour-who-should-fear-new-centrist-party

Basically the Labour voters who don't like Corbyn are mostly Leavers and so aren't likely to jump to a anti-brexit centrist party. Meanwhile most tory voters who don't like May are pro-remain, so would be more likely to jump over to a centrist anti-brexit party.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

which old pieces of poo poo ?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

UrbicaMortis posted:

Basically the Labour voters who don't like Corbyn are mostly Leavers

yeah....no

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Pissflaps posted:

I didn’t say don’t raise corporation tax I said don’t pretend it’ll pay for everything.

And I’m certain that relations with the EU will dominate British politics for some time after Brexit.

I'm sure that when historians look for reasons behind the shock election success of the Pissflaps Party they will credit their twin planks of "Raise corporation tax (But not by too much)" and "Be pro-eu in some unspecified way"

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Pissflaps posted:

yeah....no

I don't know what to tell you, 'Flaps, there are the statistics and stuff in the article.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

UrbicaMortis posted:

I don't know what to tell you, 'Flaps, there are the statistics and stuff in the article.

You expect flaps to be defeated by mere facts?

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
This is bad for Corbyn
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/10/israeli-labor-leader-cuts-ties-jeremy-corbyn-antisemitism

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So this is actually over Corbyn not been down with Israeli Crimes against humanity isn't it?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Firos posted:

UrbicaMortis posted:

Can either of you geniuses quote the statistic on what proportion of labour voters who don’t like Corbyn are also Leavers?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

somebody send this guy a copy of the Chakrabarti report ffs

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

At least for Britain, the answer to "why would anyone want to stay in the EU, given what these germans are doing" is that "as bad as it might be, the alternative is much worse."

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

UrbicaMortis posted:

Firos posted:

There aren't any relevant facts or statistics in the article and it doesnt link to or source any either. im with flaps, if fellas saying theres an anti-corbyn contingent of steadfast leavers bigger than the the anti-corbyn liberal remainers id be surprised and its an assertion that needs something at least to back it up

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pissflaps posted:

somebody send this guy a copy of the Chakrabarti report ffs

Another brilliant bit of political acumen

quote:

Gabbay, who is likely to be the centre-left alliance’s candidate for prime minister at the next election, has signalled a shift to the right in recent months, backing Israeli soldiers’ actions over the shooting of protesters in Gaza and suggesting Israeli settlers should not be forced out of their homes in the event of a peace deal.

quote:

The Zionist Union, the centre-left alliance in which Labor is the leading political force, is the main opposition in the Knesset. However, it has taken a nosedive in the polls in recent months, falling behind Likud, the centrist Yesh Atid and the Joint List alliance of leftwing and Israeli Arab parties.

Clearly, Corbyn should listen to this paragon of left wing politics and electoral powerhouse. What a loss for the Labour party

Hurray for the centrists (who support the murders of Palestinian protesters)

Kurtofan has issued a correction as of 22:34 on Apr 10, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the center-left alliance which happens to be 100% right-wingers

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/RupertMyers/status/983607601865920512

the vast, uncultivated middle ground which has never been pandered to ever

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Yinlock posted:

the center-left alliance which happens to be 100% right-wingers

you just don't understand what it takes to win elections, you loony lefty

quote:

The Zionist Union, the centre-left alliance in which Labor is the leading political force, is the main opposition in the Knesset. However, it has taken a nosedive in the polls in recent months, falling behind Likud, the centrist Yesh Atid and the Joint List alliance of leftwing and Israeli Arab parties.

oh wait

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

So you think ceding sovereignty to a bunch of unelected technocrats who think faust is a foundational work on economics is actually going to benefit anyone at all?

Tony Benn was right then and Corbyn is right now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The left wing position on brexit seems to be it was accidentally a good idea in retrospect

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's a shame there's no Glastonbury this year as I can imagine the crowd going wild for a Jobs First Brexit.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Byolante posted:

So you think ceding sovereignty to a bunch of unelected technocrats who think faust is a foundational work on economics is actually going to benefit anyone at all?

Tony Benn was right then and Corbyn is right now.

dunno. do you think you might ever stop beating your wife?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what the deuce is the Chakrabarti report and why does it keep getting brought up

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

gradenko_2000 posted:

what the deuce is the Chakrabarti report and why does it keep getting brought up

It's a report written by Shami Chakrabarti explaining that Labour doesn't have a problem with anti semitism. It's especially compelling since, at the time of writing, Chakrabarti wasn't even a Labour Party member so was entirely impartial.

Within six months of publication, in an entirely unrelated turn of events, Shami Chakrabarti was made a life peer by the Labour Party leadership and appointed to the shadow cabinet.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's one of the reasons why Pissflaps doesn't like Asian people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Cerv posted:

dunno. do you think you might ever stop beating your wife?

You are the one in favour of staying in the EU. Me asking you if you actually support the current EU is a fair question. Tony Benn's final question is vitally important to the issue of the EU which is 'how do we get rid of you?' How do you stop Weidmann from destroying the economy of Europe through his gold buggery? How do you stop Selmayr from doing whatever the gently caress he wants with no consequences and forever? Selmayr already removed the independence of the judiciary and had the German head of HR remove term limits from strategic positions to ensure they held onto power. They will never face an election so there is no way for the man in the street to actually do anything about it.

The old 'keep doing this because anything else is worse' line is just the same old francis fukuyama bullshit.