Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I don't use the pepper. I think it's better fresh ground on the steak while resting

No need to rest a steak cook sous-vide. Carryover cooking from the sear is minimal and undesirable. Straight from the grill or pan to the plate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'm in Tokyo and beef is expensive and butchered oddly. One cut I can get a decent price on is rump. I tried sous vide'ing a chunk the other day at 132 for two hours, but it was still quite tough. The piece was about an inch and half thick and about 300g iirc. If I was to extend the cooking time could I get something a bit more tender? The meat is extremely lean, very little marbling, it's generally just used for stews here.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Stringent posted:

I'm in Tokyo and beef is expensive and butchered oddly. One cut I can get a decent price on is rump. I tried sous vide'ing a chunk the other day at 132 for two hours, but it was still quite tough. The piece was about an inch and half thick and about 300g iirc. If I was to extend the cooking time could I get something a bit more tender? The meat is extremely lean, very little marbling, it's generally just used for stews here.

You could do 134-140 for 24-48 hours (higher temp = less time), and it'd probably turn out real nice.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Grem posted:

Really? Seems so short. The reason I asked is because I see from 12 hours to 3 hours and everywhere in between.

I go 2 hours at 135, I feel like I get a more tender piece of meat at 135 than I do 130.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

a foolish pianist posted:

You could do 134-140 for 24-48 hours (higher temp = less time), and it'd probably turn out real nice.

Cool, I'll give it a go.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

a foolish pianist posted:

No need to rest a steak cook sous-vide. Carryover cooking from the sear is minimal and undesirable. Straight from the grill or pan to the plate.

Yeah I got poo poo to do between searing and slicing. So I pepper afterwards and let it sit there and soak in while I finish the sides.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
I haven't done much cooking lately, but a buddy of mine brought me some elk he and his family hunted. Not sure what cut it was.

Rubbed with salt+pepper, mustard seed, rosemary, and thyme. Puddled at 137f for about 10 hours and paired with some steam pack freezer veggies (I know, I know, I was being lazy). I was expecting it to be a lot more gamy from what I've read about cooking elk, but this had a pretty smooth flavor to it. I didn't get a good sear on it though; the pan wasn't hot enough. But all in all I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

the no butter in the bag is a bummer. Wish there was a way to get that sweet buttery flavor without impacting everything else you put in the bag. Shame flavercol doesn't work well on steaks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

the no butter in the bag is a bummer. Wish there was a way to get that sweet buttery flavor without impacting everything else you put in the bag. Shame flavercol doesn't work well on steaks.

Maybe sear in butter?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Or just melt some butter and top the final product with it.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yeah, it's super easy to make a nice compound butter with some herbs and just keep a stick of it in the fridge or freezer. When you make a steak you can just slice off a disk or two.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

compound butter sounds so artificial

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

spankmeister posted:

compound butter sounds so artificial
it's just another way of saying "a mix of butter and herbs/aromatics/whatever", things being more natural =/= better than

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I hadn't heard "compound butter" before. It sounds more :science: than :discourse: but then this thread is all about cooking with :science:. Here we say "spice butter" and google shows me Martha Stewart does too: https://www.marthastewart.com/316731/spice-butter So if you're like a convict or a Norwegian, say "spice butter".

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ola posted:

I hadn't heard "compound butter" before. It sounds more :science: than :discourse: but then this thread is all about cooking with :science:. Here we say "spice butter" and google shows me Martha Stewart does too: https://www.marthastewart.com/316731/spice-butter So if you're like a convict or a Norwegian, say "spice butter".

Martha's recipe for compound butter for steak: https://www.marthastewart.com/1086326/compound-butter.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Martha's recipe for compound butter for steak: https://www.marthastewart.com/1086326/compound-butter.

LOCK HER UP

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Elizabethan Error posted:

it's just another way of saying "a mix of butter and herbs/aromatics/whatever", things being more natural =/= better than

I know. But it _sounds_ artificial.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

sear in ghee

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

chuck roast, 18 hours at 137, went in with just salt, finished with salt/pepper/garlic powder and seared in ghee

extensively trimmed the original roast and then tied it with twine

pretty incredible. tenderness of prime rib.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Having people over in a couple of days. Thinking of making a stuffed pork tenderloin (135 F for 2 hours). I usually sear on my cast iron, but it is too small fo the tenderloins. Splitting into shorter chunks to fit the cast iron would reduce stuffing space.

Would searing it like Kenji's rib roast (500 degree oven for a few minutes) overcook it? Would broiler searing be preferrable?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I did a high-temp oven for a few minutes to finish a pesto-stuffed tenderloin and thought it worked well. Though that was wrapped with prosciutto, which might have helped protect it. Still, the temperature of the tenderloin is going to fall as you're stuffing it, which gives you a little room to go back up with drying out. Just can't leave it in there too long.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

rgocs posted:

Having people over in a couple of days. Thinking of making a stuffed pork tenderloin (135 F for 2 hours). I usually sear on my cast iron, but it is too small fo the tenderloins. Splitting into shorter chunks to fit the cast iron would reduce stuffing space.

Would searing it like Kenji's rib roast (500 degree oven for a few minutes) overcook it? Would broiler searing be preferrable?

Got a torch?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

rgocs posted:

I think broiler searing is great, as long as it's powerful enough. Letting the temp drop after cooking is no problem, it just gives you a bigger margin when searing. It doesn't have to be at cooking target temp inside when you serve it after all, just pleasingly warm. Having the oven door open makes it a pseudo-salamander, the air around it will not be as hot so it will cook through less, but the radiant heat from the broiler will still sear. Be sure to dry off the moisture first, a thin coat of fat might also help as long as it doesn't burn.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

I did a high-temp oven for a few minutes to finish a pesto-stuffed tenderloin and thought it worked well. Though that was wrapped with prosciutto, which might have helped protect it. Still, the temperature of the tenderloin is going to fall as you're stuffing it, which gives you a little room to go back up with drying out. Just can't leave it in there too long.
Not sure I follow. You sous vide the meat and stuffed it afterwards? Or do you mean wrapping the stuffed tenderloin with the prosciutto?

ColHannibal posted:

Got a torch?
Sadly no.

Ola posted:

I think broiler searing is great, as long as it's powerful enough. Letting the temp drop after cooking is no problem, it just gives you a bigger margin when searing. It doesn't have to be at cooking target temp inside when you serve it after all, just pleasingly warm. Having the oven door open makes it a pseudo-salamander, the air around it will not be as hot so it will cook through less, but the radiant heat from the broiler will still sear. Be sure to dry off the moisture first, a thin coat of fat might also help as long as it doesn't burn.
This looks like theway to go then. Was thinking if leaving it open and turn it with BBQ tongs to have direct heat all around. Thanks.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

rgocs posted:

Not sure I follow. You sous vide the meat and stuffed it afterwards? Or do you mean wrapping the stuffed tenderloin with the prosciutto?

I did both after the sous vide.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

lovely picture of leftovers:

both were cooked at 127f and finished on a charcoal chimney

top is a choice new york strip

bottom is a 28 day dry aged grass fed 'prime equivalent' t bone

it's probably blasphemy, but I definitely preferred the corn-fed strip. I've never loved dry aged beef, and the combination of dry aged and grass feed gave the beef a very odd taste. everyone else loved it though

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Did a tryout of the stuffed tenderloin (2h@135F), then wrapped it in prosciutto and put under the broiler. It came out pretty good.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ColHannibal posted:

https://youtu.be/ZlwFxgOa9Ww

I hear this is pretty drat good but it’s so loving involved.

insert three pages of arguing over how nitrites are literally poison and will kill your unborn fetus by looking at its reflection in a mirror

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Bottom Liner posted:

The bag is made from a thick "platinum grade" silicone with a thick sealing zip... It says it can be put in the dishwasher for cleaning as well.

washing silicone stuff like ice trays always ends up with this disgusting residue. I would avoid washing those bags in the dishwasher if I were you

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I'm looking at picking up a sous vide machine and I see the Anova Bluetooth one is $155 on amazon.ca right now. I remember reading though that some of these tube shaped ones have issues with steam messing up the internal circuitry. Have they worked that out since I last looked, or is there a good workaround?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Tyty posted:

I'm looking at picking up a sous vide machine and I see the Anova Bluetooth one is $155 on amazon.ca right now. I remember reading though that some of these tube shaped ones have issues with steam messing up the internal circuitry. Have they worked that out since I last looked, or is there a good workaround?

Using a lid to keep steam from coming up. Also keeps water in there longer and makes it get to temp faster.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I got 2 Porter & York boneless ribeyes from Treasure Truck this weekend. They are vacuum sealed in what feels like a very sturdy plastic. Am I good to drop’em in and go?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Feenix posted:

I got 2 Porter & York boneless ribeyes from Treasure Truck this weekend. They are vacuum sealed in what feels like a very sturdy plastic. Am I good to drop’em in and go?

Probably but I would want to salt.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ColHannibal posted:

Probably but I would want to salt.

Eh. I did it anyway and just finished it with a pat of butter and some Maldon flake and it’s rocking my world right now.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Man, this is seriously the best thing for venison. Buddy gave me a roast from the deer he got last season, did it at 132 for 24 hours, then gave it a herb crust like in the Chefsteps chuck roast recipe, pan sauce with the bag juices and some stock and red wine.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there a need to let recently thawed steaks sit on the counter for an hour before cooking when doing sous vide?

Edit:

rgocs posted:

No. You could even sous vide directly from frozen.

Holy poo poo

Argue fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 20, 2018

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Argue posted:

Is there a need to let recently thawed steaks sit on the counter for an hour before cooking when doing sous vide?
No. You could even sous vide directly from frozen.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, an immersion circulator pairs extremely well with a chest freezer filled with vacuum-sealed meat.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Sous Vide everything did a non scientific test and said you get better results from slow thawed, any basis to that? I assume it was from improper resting or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Got a link? That guy tries to be scientific sometimes and he will gently caress it up by adding extra variables. Sometimes he's right on though.