Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

ZearothK posted:

Tickets for baby vs dog.

Is that an underground punk band or a setup for a cage match?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Oh, you don't know about BvD? This will be good!

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Geist 2e has moved to manuscript approval! Not sure what the timeline is after that, changing 2e is still ahead of it in the queue by the looks of it, but hopefully it will come to KS soon.
Changeling was one of my favorite 1e lines, but I think through a mixture of my changing interests, b how David Hill was treated, and just the previews in general had dampened my enthusiasm. I'll take a look at the KS when it comes out but I'm not really anticipating it.

Edit: wait in forgot lost already had it's 2e Kickstarter, which I guess really does show I lost interest. Well hopefully Geist is next after Dragonbloodded then.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

neaden posted:

Geist 2e has moved to manuscript approval! Not sure what the timeline is after that, changing 2e is still ahead of it in the queue by the looks of it, but hopefully it will come to KS soon.

After approval is editing, then post-editing development, then layout, then finalization and ultimately release. I don't know where in that process the Kickstarter might happen, TBH--that's not my department.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Changeling 2e is extremely good.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Nessus posted:

The severed ghouled head of Keith Moon.

Eyes may close in transit. There is no technology to stop this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mors Rattus posted:

extremely so. Probably my favorite thing, despite all the poo poo nWoD has pulled, has been them completely saving Changeling from being an almost offensive joke line it was in oWoD

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Nice title change

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

sexpig by night posted:

extremely so. Probably my favorite thing, despite all the poo poo nWoD has pulled, has been them completely saving Changeling from being an almost offensive joke line it was in oWoD

To be fair Changeling 20th also saved Changeling from being the offensive joke that oWoD Changeling was.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mulva posted:

To be fair Changeling 20th also saved Changeling from being the offensive joke that oWoD Changeling was.

Oh yea I count the entire nWoD take on Changeling, including 20th, for that. 20th turned it from a game I never want to see to one I love.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Picked up the pack of pregens for C20. It's... interesting. Some seem like really neat ideas for player characters. Others are laser-focused on a certain thing - which is fine - but I'd have preferred a more 'all things to all people' approach. They even bring back the Chicago by Night relations between the people in the Cote- Motley, which I'm always charmed by.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

PantsOptional posted:

My next character concept is literally just “a Ventrue who owns Airwolf” now.

A Bone Gnawer with Power Object Fixation: Car Stereos (Owns No Car). The name's Showbiz. Totem of the Tequiza Twister.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Soonmot posted:

Oh, you don't know about BvD? This will be good!

I don't, but I really want to.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Terrorforge posted:

I don't, but I really want to.

Damnation City is one of the better Vampire: The Requiem books. It also has some really bad chapter intro fiction, one of which is BvD. It's basically about a vampiric cockfight. In this corner, there's a ghouled dog. In this corner, a vampire baby. They fight, vampires bet on it. It's dumb.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Damnation City is one of the better Vampire: The Requiem books. It also has some really bad chapter intro fiction, one of which is BvD. It's basically about a vampiric cockfight. In this corner, there's a ghouled dog. In this corner, a vampire baby. They fight, vampires bet on it. It's dumb loving hilarious and shows just how screwed up vampires can get.
FTFY

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Oh man, I thought oWoD had a monopoly on batshit, but that is some choice guano. I need to read that book.

Dec 26, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Can confirm.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I thought the vampire who decided to sleep in a coffin was funny, in Damnation City. I forget exactly but I think he pissed off someone more powerful so they cut off his hands while he slept and nailed his coffin shut.

There were a few different stories going on in there.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Damnation City is one of the better Vampire: The Requiem books. It also has some really bad chapter intro fiction, one of which is BvD. It's basically about a vampiric cockfight. In this corner, there's a ghouled dog. In this corner, a vampire baby. They fight, vampires bet on it. It's dumb.
Wait it's from Requiem? I thought it was an oWoD Sabbat thing! :psyduck:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

A Bone Gnawer with Power Object Fixation: Car Stereos (Owns No Car). The name's Showbiz. Totem of the Tequiza Twister.
His Kinfolk brother is a Virtual Adept. Their old pal from the block is a Dauntain.

Phillipe is five.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I would be okay with Samuel Haight coming back if he killed Cartilage Head just on principal. Like I dunno if that thing is just a formori or part of the cathedral of flesh but it needs to be taken down.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I would be okay with Samuel Haight coming back if he killed Cartilage Head just on principal. Like I dunno if that thing is just a formori or part of the cathedral of flesh but it needs to be taken down.
Coward who would desert a dying man detected

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I am The Technocracy But For Performance Art, I confess. I'm not sorry, you're welcome.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
world of darkness Lyle is just Smiling Jack

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Terrorforge posted:

Oh man, I thought oWoD had a monopoly on batshit, but that is some choice guano. I need to read that book.

What's really amazing is that the book is really solid for making a city/setting, but the chapter intros might have been written by a rank 4 spirit of crazy ideas.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Zereth posted:

Wait it's from Requiem? I thought it was an oWoD Sabbat thing! :psyduck:

It's the kind of thing that could happen in either WoD. The difference is kind of like...

In the oWoD, vampires make ghoul babies fight dogs because they are super old and have grown very deep and unfathomable in their cruelty, and the living could never truly understand the machinations of the minds that have arrived in this pit of darkness.

In the nWoD, vampires make ghoul babies fight dogs because after you've become completely disconnected from humanity you get so loving bored you just wouldn't believe it.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Which system is more likely to have a cult of swishy-shirt vamps who force-feed 14 month old babies buttery, decadent steaks?

Can we talk about how Dr. McNinja has mastered the art of taking a one-off gag and reworking it into a major plot point? That's one of my favorite things as a GM, getting witty with the players and having it pay off. I name all my NPCs after bands the players have been in, because i love & support my pals.

love & support your pals too, today. and every day.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

In the oWoD, vampires make ghoul babies fight dogs because they are super old and have grown very deep and unfathomable in their cruelty, and the living could never truly understand the machinations of the minds that have arrived in this pit of darkness.

In the nWoD, vampires make ghoul babies fight dogs because after you've become completely disconnected from humanity you get so loving bored you just wouldn't believe it.

It always seemed to be a take on the Sabbat's 'baby on a stick' thing, which was ten years old at the time.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

quote:

3 exp per session attended
2 exp for sessions not attended for at most 2 consecutive sessions, after 2 sessions without attendence exp gain stops
+1 exp for examples of good roleplaying for a max of +2 roleplay exp per session
+1 for being engaged in the story and not causing distractions, or suggesting to other players to be more interactive with the story. max +1 engagement exp
+1-2 exp for doing something that makes me super happy that's relevant to the game (i.e. no bribing the storyteller with donuts, but drawing artwork or making me lol irl in game gets you the shiz) (max exp 2)
(-1)-(-5)exp for causing distractions, being rude to other players ooc, directly sabotaging party plans for no approprate in character reason (no the "vampires are evil and thrive on chaos and discord mwahaha" does not justify attempting to kill another character)
(-5) exp for all masquerade violations as well as in game consequences
-1 exp for every instance of a player being reminded by the storyteller to settle down/quiet down, no maximum exp loss
+1-3 for creative solutions to obstacles and bosskills (max +1 boss kills and max +3 creative non violent solutions)
regular accumulations of positive exp will lead to in game advancement with mechanics as well as narrative advancement. milestones will be published later
regular loss of exp and issues with other party members will lead to possible expulsion from the game and depending on context could lead to pc final death or probation from the chronicle as well as other club consequences
Is it just me or is this XP chart worrisome? I was considering joining a VtM game at my university's local TRPG club, but then I saw this and some internal alarm bells went off.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
(-5) exp for all masquerade violations as well as in game consequences
That one set off the alarm bells and then the alarm lit on fire.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

NGDBSS posted:

Is it just me or is this XP chart worrisome? I was considering joining a VtM game at my university's local TRPG club, but then I saw this and some internal alarm bells went off.

Do not attend. Do not think about attending. Turn around and leave the premises.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

That all sounds like the result of dealing with one too many fishmalks taking off their shirts, climbing on top of a police car and shouting "suck my dick, I'm a vampire!"

Not that that's an excuse. Levying XP penalties at all is a warning sign, levying them for "not being still" is another one and doing it for masquerade violations is an extra spicy double warning sign with cheese.

I might be tempted to give them the benefit of the doubt just because I can imagine the sort of player a public vtm game might have to deal with, but odds are that someone who feels the need to slap people with character advancement penalties for talking out of turn I'd not exactly a people person.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no maximum xp loss for fidgeting lmao

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I'm the xp penalty for settle down Beavis.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Put your phone away DEVIN that's minus -1 XP. Keep it up and you'll get written up!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Neonates! Many Neonates! Left Side!
That's a 50 EXP Minus!

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

Is it the only game in town?

But seriously, that looks like the natural result of a railroading/heavy-handed ST running a pickup game for rando college kids. There are probably no good games that give them competition, so they get players by default with a heavy turnover.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Barbed Tongues posted:

Is it the only game in town?

But seriously, that looks like the natural result of a railroading/heavy-handed ST running a pickup game for rando college kids. There are probably no good games that give them competition, so they get players by default with a heavy turnover.
It's not the only game in the club, but the other options are either closed or systems I wouldn't play (PF, 5E). There's a lot of insularity to the club itself and to the old guard surrounding it. I'd tried running my own game of Godbound, in fact, but with only one PC joining my creative well ran dry. (I tend towards a very improvisational style.)

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 11, 2018

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Yeah, that sounds like a huge mistake to join. Try to build a group of your own if you can. Advertise with flyers or something idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

It's not the only game in the club, but the other options are either closed or systems I wouldn't play (PF, 5E). There's a lot of insularity to the club itself and to the old guard surrounding it. I'd tried running my own game of Godbound, in fact, but with only one PC joining my creative well ran dry. (I tend towards a very improvisational style.)

Well - you could always ask to watch a session (or part of one), see if you have any chance of having fun at the table before you commit to making a character. Might waste a game night for you, but I for one would enjoy reading a postmortem if it's a poo poo-show.