Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

evilweasel posted:

the issue i see is that putin's power is largely based on nationalistic prestige and he might feel compelled to do something dumb to retaliate. that's the main worry, a russian jet gets hit by a missile aimed at a syrian base, so russia tries to deliberately shoot down a us jet, which reacts violently to the idea, etc etc

it 100% can spiral into a new cold war, complete with a conflict like the Korean War wherein US soldiers fought Chinese soldiers in Korea, and a depressed world economy as 2 powers gently caress about with everything and destabilize the global situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

lmao

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Meatball posted:

Hes going to start a war and use the media cover to fire Mueller isn't he?

Nah, he's been pretty blatant with his firings. He uses them to distract.

Guillotine.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I mean, it's hard to argue it's a monopoly - they don't have sole control of social media, or even vaguely-facebook-like social media, as a communications platform (as regularly comes up in this thread when people say "I don't use Facebook and don't feel like I'm missing anything :smug: ").

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Snowden's feed is salty as gently caress right now about Zuck and for good reason

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/983801604519407616

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vladimir Putin posted:

You mean like a Russian jet that’s parked on the ground right? It’s very unlikely that a flying jet gets hit by accident with a cruise missile.

Yes, when a Syrian base gets bombed/hit by a missile, unintentionally.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ted Cruz is the only person that can make Zuck look human in comparison.

That was pretty terrible to watch

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/ProBirdRights/status/983802092870500353

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Several thousand of my hive's accounts were deleted for being 'fake,' and yet it is their saliva which binds together the material under my suit."

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Meatball posted:

That doesn't sound very plausible, since the media will drop war coverage and completely focus on the firing, if he does that.

More than likely he's looking for ways to overcome his feeling of powerlessness, and ordering the military to bomb another country is a good way to do that.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Meatball posted:

I'd say it's likely, yeah.

But I'm just an idiot posting to an internet forum so...

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

evilweasel posted:

Yes, when a Syrian base gets bombed/hit by a missile, unintentionally.

Which would have happened previously during the first gas attack if they hadn't warned Russia about the incoming bombing

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WoodrowSkillson posted:

it 100% can spiral into a new cold war, complete with a conflict like the Korean War wherein US soldiers fought Chinese soldiers in Korea, and a depressed world economy as 2 powers gently caress about with everything and destabilize the global situation.

uh the korean war wasn't an accident, china told us to stop advancing into north korea, we thought they were bluffing, and then it turned out that assuming they were bluffing while advancing in two columns along the coasts while not covering the middle of the country was not a super idea and they then intervened on north korea's side to maintain their buffer state

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

"Nobody wants to be friends with an eldritch demon who only wants to consume their soul. We have your data mr Cruz. Or should I say qwixiblik?"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Guys Syria gassed hundreds of people and he bombed them last time, its not a conspiracy that its happening again.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yup. Plus, given Trump's stated wish to build more nuclear weapons, welp...

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Nothing pisses me off more than the "argument" republicans have been making that there's no need for legislation protecting Mueller because they don't believe Trump is going to fire him. If he's not going to fire him then it doesn't matter if you passed it or not, if he is then it matters quite a bit. Just tell us the real reason, which is that you care more about your party than the country.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

https://twitter.com/Kirkpatrick2026/status/983797642663809026

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

evilweasel posted:

uh the korean war wasn't an accident, china told us to stop advancing into north korea, we thought they were bluffing, and then it turned out that assuming they were bluffing while advancing in two columns along the coasts while not covering the middle of the country was not a super idea

It's not one to one, all i meant was the US fought Chinese troops, but on Korean soil, and did not gently caress about with China proper. If some disastrous sequence of events happens, we totally could end up in some asinine war in Syria where we end up with US troops fighting Russian troops in Aleppo.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Guys Syria gassed hundreds of people and he bombed them last time, its not a conspiracy that its happening again.

It can be both.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

:v: Alright, that's actually pretty funny.
Now I'm imagining it in Ted Cruz voice and it's less funny.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

KickerOfMice posted:

:v: Alright, that's actually pretty funny.
Now I'm imagining it in Ted Cruz voice and it's less funny.

You know Cruz didn't say that, right?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Sure, that's why it is Syria. If he needed to Wag the Dog two weeks ago it would have been North Korea, and in 2 weeks it might have been Iran.

The target is just whichever has the best excuse. The scale of the engagement will be telling as to how political of an act it is.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The expression on Zuck's face is like "Whoa, at last, I'm the one who feels like I should be giving someone a swirlie."

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

WeAreTheRomans posted:

You know Cruz didn't say that, right?

No! I'm not watching. Who said it?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
the Zuck looks like a sad sausage in that photo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

KickerOfMice posted:

It's Samantha Bee doing a funny caption over a screenshot, dude.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

evilweasel posted:

you're doing a really bad job of it because all you're doing is quibbling with well-established science on lead poisoning with no support whatsoever and getting basic things wrong while doing so. you can't dispute the effects of lead poisoning. the spike in crime and the fall in crime is so dramatic that we know to a statistically sufficient level of precision that it's not just random: something or several somethings caused it. lead has both the right effects to cause it and the right time that it was introduced and then removed that the explanation holds together.

to effectively dispute it you would need to do basically one of two things: (a) show another factor or factors that are sufficient to explain the rise and fall (either other explanations, or issues with the underlying crime data) and/or (b) show that leaded gasoline does not and cannot cause measurable levels of lead poisoning

everything you've argued has been (c) badly mangle indisputable science on the effects of lead poisoning that you could easily educate yourself on

I have a little bit of sympathy for this kind of reasoning as it often comes from real concerns, it's just they are misguided in this case.

If you're an engineer or doctor testing the structure properties of concrete or cancer treatments, you need a very high standard of evidence before you can draw conclusions. This is necessary and possible to achieve because you are looking for very small subtle effects and the consequences of being wrong are very severe. Someone who is accustomed to working in an environment will instinctively question conclusions drawn for poorly controlled observational studies because they necessarily have a lot of uncertainty that can mask the small effects you look for in that kind precise research.

However of course in this case we don't need to be 99.99% sure that leaded gasoline led to higher rates of violent crime. If you're going to make someone spend $10,000 on a medication you need to be that confident in order to justify the action. However when it comes to something like leaded gasoline being 90%, or 50%, or even less confident of the danger to justify taking action. People working in a field where they are used to doing triage often miss that their decision making calculus needs to change so they get hung up on details and miss the bigger picture.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

Sure, that's why it is Syria. If he needed to Wag the Dog two weeks ago it would have been North Korea, and in 2 weeks it might have been Iran.

The target is just whichever has the best excuse. The scale of the engagement will be telling as to how political of an act it is.

He would not be doing anything differently in Syria if the FBI raid hadn't happened.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

mango sentinel posted:

Y'all do realize that once Kelly is out, Bolton runs the White House, regardless of his title, right?

I'd say that role belongs more to Sean Hannity, but why split hairs?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/justinsink/status/983803288717053955

:f5:

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

KickerOfMice posted:

nobody, it's a funny tweet pointing out that ted cruz has no friends

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Bicyclops posted:

It's Samantha Bee doing a funny caption over a screenshot, dude.

I didn't look at the author... shut up! :cripes:
I'm going to make another tea, I evidently need it.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 10, 2018

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

"I hear you"

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

How far can Bolton/Trump push the 2001 AUMF before congress starts actually complaining here? There has to be SOME kind of tipping point.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rigel posted:

He would not be doing anything differently in Syria if the FBI raid hadn't happened.

Yeah, I agree. This isn't so much a wag the dog scenario as it is "the inevitability of John Bolton setting foot in the White House and having the ear of the President."

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

we end up with US troops fighting Russian troops in Aleppo.

This is probably a wet dream to some people unfortunately. Finally fighting the Russians directly in a way that doesn't involve immediate nuclear war.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Ted Cruz is the only person that can make Zuck look human in comparison.

That was pretty terrible to watch

2016 reminder.

There's a clip of Zodiac Killer trying to show affection for "his" human spawn by pressing his face opening on her face and she yelped "No, daddy, no!"

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/nxthompson/status/983800045907644416

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's not one to one, all i meant was the US fought Chinese troops, but on Korean Soil, and did not gently caress about with China proper. If some disastrous sequence of events happens, we totally could end up in some asinine war in Syria where we end up with US troops fighting Russian troops in Aleppo.

oh we already ended up in that situation when some russian mercenaries got it into their idiot heads that attacking a us military base was a great idea. it didn't go well and they're not going to try it again.

the real concern I have is if they try firing missiles at our bases or ships, since they could potentially score a hit that way and force a response.

• Locked thread