Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That's true, but I'd rather budget a few more nights out or some nice ingredients or clothes or something with the extra money. I'm on a limited income for the next few years, so I feel like I should probably prioritize, and not buy the $200 pen until after I'm not actively accruing debt.

I got my Lamy 2k for $75 on amazon and it's legit. If you keep an eye out, amazon warehouse has some pretty good deals sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Wow, really? That's a much lower price than I thought they were available for. Might consider that, but the low ink capacity will matter - I don't want to have to bring a spare converter.

I have a few Preppys and I've had a Sport in the past that I gave to a friend, didn't care for it. I really hate posting my pens. The threads were also annoying when I wrote with it; part of my fingers rested on them while writing. Just not well proportioned for my hand. The Singularity has popped up on my cheap pen radar many times, but it has a less extreme version of the Metropolitan problem: the section is pretty narrow, and I'd cramp up after half an hour.

I already have Ecos and 580s though, I don't want more of the same. I'm not looking to spend as little as possible necessarily, I want to get the best pen I can within my budget. If that means it's a $20 pen, great! That means I just saved $80 - but if the $20 pen is just a good cheap pen, I'd rather spend more and get something that's closer to my exact preference.

I ran across the Lamy Aion, and it has what looks like a very comfortable shape, similar to a non capless 2k. It's in my price range, the section is nice and wide (and convex, a plus), and I generally trust Lamy for nib/feed quality. 0.8ml is a little smaller than I'd like, but at least the Z27 is bigger than Pilot converters, and that should be enough to make it through a class even if I don't start at 100% full.

That's true, but I'd rather budget a few more nights out or some nice ingredients or clothes or something with the extra money. I'm on a limited income for the next few years, so I feel like I should probably prioritize, and not buy the $200 pen until after I'm not actively accruing debt.

Hmmm, taking all of that into consideration I would go with one of the steel nibbed VPs from Japan and use ink cartridges, the cartridges have significantly more ink capacity than the converter and can be popped in on the fly as needed, just make sure to use the little metal sleeve to cover the cartridge, it allows the click mechanism to work with a cartridge. You can also replace the steel nib unit with a gold one later on if you want, they are like $80 on their own but it's nice to have the option for the future.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hmmm, taking all of that into consideration I would go with one of the steel nibbed VPs from Japan and use ink cartridges, the cartridges have significantly more ink capacity than the converter and can be popped in on the fly as needed, just make sure to use the little metal sleeve to cover the cartridge, it allows the click mechanism to work with a cartridge. You can also replace the steel nib unit with a gold one later on if you want, they are like $80 on their own but it's nice to have the option for the future.

That looks like a great option, thanks! There's a seller on Amazon for $80 or so, and they have my preferred color/nib combination in stock.

I guess my biggest concern with capacity is the mess from carrying around spare ink, and I really don't want to run out midlecture. Is there any way to cap a Con-40 so I can just toss a few in my pen case? Otherwise, can I cap a cartridge?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That looks like a great option, thanks! There's a seller on Amazon for $80 or so, and they have my preferred color/nib combination in stock.

I guess my biggest concern with capacity is the mess from carrying around spare ink, and I really don't want to run out midlecture. Is there any way to cap a Con-40 so I can just toss a few in my pen case? Otherwise, can I cap a cartridge?

Well, cartridges are prefilled and when you insert one the pen causes the seal on it to break, so you could just carry a box of pilot cartridges in your bag or whatever and change them as needed, just check how much ink you have left before a lecture or whatever and if there is only a little left switch out the cartridge early. I actually carry two pens, that way if one runs out at an inconvenient time I just grab the other.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, cartridges are prefilled and when you insert one the pen causes the seal on it to break, so you could just carry a box of pilot cartridges in your bag or whatever and change them as needed, just check how much ink you have left before a lecture or whatever and if there is only a little left switch out the cartridge early. I actually carry two pens, that way if one runs out at an inconvenient time I just grab the other.

Well, sure - but a big part of why I use fountain pens is to collect and use unusual or beautiful ink. If I have to choose between a suboptimal backup pen and cartridge ink, I'll pick the pen any day. I'm just wondering if there is a way to have my cake and eat it too. I'm not really expecting that there is, but who knows, someone might have an idea that I didn't find on Google about storing backup converters. I'll have room for plenty of backups in my case, so I might as well throw another pen in there too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve heard of people sealing refilled cartridges with hot glue, but I’ve never tried it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Platystemon posted:

I’ve heard of people sealing refilled cartridges with hot glue, but I’ve never tried it.

Parafilm (the wax tape used in labs) is something I've seen, too.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Well, sure - but a big part of why I use fountain pens is to collect and use unusual or beautiful ink. If I have to choose between a suboptimal backup pen and cartridge ink, I'll pick the pen any day. I'm just wondering if there is a way to have my cake and eat it too. I'm not really expecting that there is, but who knows, someone might have an idea that I didn't find on Google about storing backup converters. I'll have room for plenty of backups in my case, so I might as well throw another pen in there too.

I'd probably either seal up cartridges somehow and keep them in an Altoids tin, or just resign myself to carrying ink around and checking the pen before class. Get a travelling inkwell (Visconti, TWSBI) or use a 5mL or 10mL centrifuge tube to transport your preferred ink.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Why not just get some of those little sample bottles and keep them in a plastic bag?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

effika posted:

Parafilm (the wax tape used in labs) is something I've seen, too.

I'd probably either seal up cartridges somehow and keep them in an Altoids tin, or just resign myself to carrying ink around and checking the pen before class. Get a travelling inkwell (Visconti, TWSBI) or use a 5mL or 10mL centrifuge tube to transport your preferred ink.

I'll just resign myself to being attentive and checking before every class, I guess. Not the end of the world, and it seems like less of a hassle than using hot glue or paraffin tape to seal spare converters that might just come loose and spill anyway. I already have the TWSBI Diamond inkwell, which conveniently comes with one of those little inkwell filling inserts already installed, but a 5ml centrifuge tube will take less space and work almost as well.

Heath posted:

Why not just get some of those little sample bottles and keep them in a plastic bag?

Refilling on the go is what I'm trying to avoid, but I'll just fill up a sample vial or inkwell when I fill up my pen and check before each class.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Have I mentioned how much I hate Canada Border Services? I've had one pen stuck in Customs on the West coast for three weeks, while stuff that goes through the East coast is cleared in two days. What the gently caress?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

grack posted:

Have I mentioned how much I hate Canada Border Services? I've had one pen stuck in Customs on the West coast for three weeks, while stuff that goes through the East coast is cleared in two days. What the gently caress?

Might be that there's more stuff being imported on that side

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Just depends which bureaucrats are responsible for it and what kind of mood they're in that day

grack
Jan 10, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

Might be that there's more stuff being imported on that side

Maybe, but

Eric the Mauve posted:

Just depends which bureaucrats are responsible for it and what kind of mood they're in that day

There we go.

The stupidity of Customs notwithstanding, this interesting pen showed up today.

Obvious copy of the F-C Ondoro, but a really nice pen in it's own right with a hexagonal shape and wood barrel.

grack fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 10, 2018

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It really does look like an unfinished Ondoro

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I have a Pilot Metropolitan as per the OP's suggestion that I got for xmas. About 20 years ago I wrote with a fountain pen all the time (yay English schooling) and I am liking using one again even if my handwriting is terrible.

I am a soulless left hander looking for ink suggestions. I have a hook to my writing style so I don't require a fast drying ink but would be down for faster drying suggestions as a bonus to looking nice. I love blue inks and would like to pick up 2-3 in a variety of shades but would like to keep it max of $50 total on the order.

Looking at Goulet Pens I don't think I like the Bernanke Blue or Q-Eternity.

This Atlantic Blue maybe, is that a good brand?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Bad Belted Kingfisher is a nice dark blue that's permanent and dries quickly. I've also had good luck with Ottoman Azure (thanks again to whichever secret Santa sent me that one, it's amazing.)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

tangy yet delightful posted:

I have a Pilot Metropolitan as per the OP's suggestion that I got for xmas. About 20 years ago I wrote with a fountain pen all the time (yay English schooling) and I am liking using one again even if my handwriting is terrible.

I am a soulless left hander looking for ink suggestions. I have a hook to my writing style so I don't require a fast drying ink but would be down for faster drying suggestions as a bonus to looking nice. I love blue inks and would like to pick up 2-3 in a variety of shades but would like to keep it max of $50 total on the order.

Another thing to look at is the sort of paper you use, different papers have different absorption rates, for instance on the average quality printer paper I use Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki dries in about 7 seconds, but on my Rhodia pad it takes around 25 seconds. While the Kon-Peki does look nicer on the Rhodia pad than on the printer paper it still looks very nice on either since the blue is such a striking color.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Heath posted:

Bad Belted Kingfisher is a nice dark blue that's permanent and dries quickly. I've also had good luck with Ottoman Azure (thanks again to whichever secret Santa sent me that one, it's amazing.)

Ooh I like both of those, thanks for the recommendations.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Another thing to look at is the sort of paper you use, different papers have different absorption rates, for instance on the average quality printer paper I use Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki dries in about 7 seconds, but on my Rhodia pad it takes around 25 seconds. While the Kon-Peki does look nicer on the Rhodia pad than on the printer paper it still looks very nice on either since the blue is such a striking color.
Right now I have Crane&Co stationary (100% cotton paper) that I got as part of the gift, otherwise I'm writing on post-it notes, yellow cheapish legal pads and cheapish printer paper. I hadn't thought about the drying time difference but I'll check it out and keep it in mind when I'm writing from here on out :)

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

tangy yet delightful posted:

I use Noodler’s polar blue, mainly for water resistance. It dries really fast, but I find it starts hard in a fine metropolitan unless I’m capping the pen whenever I pause for more than a second.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Something like 4 months late, but here’s the pen and ink I received for Christmas!

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Been buying a ton of pens recently! 15 cheap chinese pens from ebay, this: https://fprevolutionusa.com/collections/pen-of-the-day-deal/products/fountain-pen-grab-bag-potd-deal and a Pilot vanishing point (finally) on ebay from japan.

Got my Moon Man eye dropper and it is very very nice. The threads on the cap are the smoothest I have ever seen.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Iznogood posted:

Been buying a ton of pens recently! 15 cheap chinese pens from ebay, this: https://fprevolutionusa.com/collections/pen-of-the-day-deal/products/fountain-pen-grab-bag-potd-deal and a Pilot vanishing point (finally) on ebay from japan.

Got my Moon Man eye dropper and it is very very nice. The threads on the cap are the smoothest I have ever seen.

What random pens did you ultimately get?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

So very, very pretty

I ordered some Ama-Iro to go along with it.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What random pens did you ultimately get?

Today I got a wing sung 3008. Yesterday a Jinhao x750 shimmering (very very nice). The moon man. Also got a Hero 7022. Also ordered a FPR Himalaya Fountain Pen yesterday. Still in the mail are a 2 Jinhao 159, a Jinhao 156, a Jinhao 500, a couple x750's, a Hero 590.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I may have done something either dumb or fun.

I'm working with a small group of students on a number of subjects, one of them being cursive writing. My Jinhao 992's get a lot of attention, and I mentioned to the kids that they're pretty cheap on eBay, which led to them asking if we could use them for our writing. I figured why not, took their favorite colors, and ordered them this afternoon:

They chose green, orange, black, and blue. I thought that I would just fill the pens from my ink stocks, but then thought that since Fontoplumo sells Diamine inks for ~$4.50, I'd just pick up inks in colors that match the pens. I've never used Diamines, so I thought I'd ask the thread for recommendations from the FP website.

I guess the only real requirement would be a quick-drying green, since one of the students who chose that color is left-handed.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Love Diamine. People recommend Sherwood Green though I haven't tried it. There is also a nice Kelly green but it's a little bright for actual writing.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I actually made a mistake- the blue is being used by the left-hander. I'm leaning towards Florida Blue, it seems like it's a quick dry ink.

Re: greens, I really like the look of the Meadow Green, but Emerald might be a bit more practical.

As for the rest, I think Quartz Black is my best option for the black pens, and either Orange or Blazing Orange for the orange pen.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Professor Shark posted:

I actually made a mistake- the blue is being used by the left-hander. I'm leaning towards Florida Blue, it seems like it's a quick dry ink.

Re: greens, I really like the look of the Meadow Green, but Emerald might be a bit more practical.

As for the rest, I think Quartz Black is my best option for the black pens, and either Orange or Blazing Orange for the orange pen.

All of those are good choices, but yes, Emerald will be more practical. Diamine is great.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Iznogood posted:

Today I got a wing sung 3008. Yesterday a Jinhao x750 shimmering (very very nice). The moon man. Also got a Hero 7022. Also ordered a FPR Himalaya Fountain Pen yesterday. Still in the mail are a 2 Jinhao 159, a Jinhao 156, a Jinhao 500, a couple x750's, a Hero 590.

But what did you end up with in the FP Revolution random bag?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What's a cheap, good demonstrator? Like, the Lamy Safari/Pilot Metro of demonstrators?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

We're going to announce our new product very soon, but first - a giveaway. Up for grabs is one of our earliest, rarest fabrics - some of you might actually have it because we sold them here first.

Instructions are in the Instagram post. Good luck!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhdZsK-l91f

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I was in New York for a week for my birthday and got to check out the Fountain Pen Hospital. I was a bit like a kid in a candy store, and I had my heart set on a 1911 in the black luster finish, but I wanted a fine nib and they only had one copy left in XF :smith: At least I got to check a bunch of pens and inks out in person, and I left with a bottle of Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

But what did you end up with in the FP Revolution random bag?

Have not received it yet!!! I'll make sure to post here when I do!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Drone posted:

What's a cheap, good demonstrator? Like, the Lamy Safari/Pilot Metro of demonstrators?

The Lamy Vista is literally a demonstrator Safari.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Here's a pic of my moonman eye dropper. I did not expect to like it as much as I do. Inked with Noodler's Nikita red.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Drone posted:

TWSBI Eco is a solid pick.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Anyone near NYC going in to the Fountain Pen Hospital's Expo this weekend?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

MoraleHazard posted:

Anyone near NYC going in to the Fountain Pen Hospital's Expo this weekend?

What occurs at this expo? I've never been but always wanted to check it out

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Lowness 72 posted:

What occurs at this expo? I've never been but always wanted to check it out

Manufacturers show up and you get to try out a bunch of different pens. I’m going early Saturday morning with a business buddy who is also into pens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
https://www.instagram.com/p/BghWiAshe8T/

A nine tine nib is certainly something