Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
data categories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Weren’t the Russian mercs completely surprised when the base retaliated and wiped out like 100 guys?

So my understanding of that event is Russia advanced on a rebel position (that had a couple of dozen US military advisers in it) with a mechanized force of about 550 men. One of their elements moved a tank forwards and fired approximately 25-30 rounds into a hill that was about 500 feet away from the base. It was a very deliberate and intentional probing action with no other purpose than to see how we would respond.

We responded by greasing 300 of the men they sent. Apparently when the counter-attack came the Russians were so terrified of provoking further counter-attacks that they simply tried to flee and did not return fire. Also apparently the survivors have some pretty horrific wounds and morale amongst Russian forces who might face US forces in actual combat is not exactly high right now.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 10, 2018

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Deb Fischer is the worst of all these senators at hiding how little technical expertise she has.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I was going to post something snarky about how "All Democrats Are Bad" punching-bag Governor Ralph Northam vetoed a bill banning sanctuary cities in Vriginia but I saw a much more interesting article as I was reading it:

Republican Medicaid backers say backlash is less than they expected

quote:

When the Southwest Virginia Republican returned home from Richmond after the General Assembly adjourned, ads on his local radio station were blasting him — and broadcasting his office phone number. Bankrolled by conservative powerhouse Americans for Prosperity, the ads urged voters to call and let Kilgore have it.

“Tell Kilgore to get Obamacare out of the budget,” they said.

The calls never came, even in a part of Virginia that supported Donald Trump overwhelmingly in 2016 and seemed immune to the blue wave that swept over much of Virginia last year.

“No calls, no comments,” said Kilgore, who contends his struggling coal-country district wants the “hand up” as long as Medicaid recipients are required to work and make co-pays.

“I’ve been to Republican mass meetings. I’ve been out and about, ballgames, this and that,” Kilgore said. “What I’ve heard people say is, ‘Hey, what you said made sense. We don’t mind helping people if they’re helping themselves.’”

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Not sure I understand how this could happen from one appearance if the company's stock shares didn't increase by 20x in value?

Caros
May 14, 2008

evilweasel posted:

trump bombed syria last time they used chemical weapons, and was widely expected to do it again before the cohen arrest came out

it's dumb to come up with conspiracy theories about it

Por que no los dos?

The last time Trump did this it was widely seen as a way for trump to try and bolster his popularity by being a big tough man. I don't remotely think that is the only reason, but at the same time, I have to imagine it factors into his decision making, Just like it is really hard not to look at Kosovo and wonder how much of that had to do with the fact that Clinton had just been impeached.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Hello everybody!

https://twitter.com/scottmstedman/status/983810080339406848?s=21

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Prester Jane posted:

So in that situation Russia advanced on a rebel position that had a couple of dozen US military advisers in it with a mechanized force of about 550 men. One of their elements moved a tank forwards and fired approximately 25-30 rounds into a hill that was about 500 feet away from the base. It was a very deliberate and intentional probing action with no other purpose than to see how we would respond.

I wonder if this red, glowing burner on the stovetop is hot. I know, I'll find out by touching it with my tongue.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Republican Politician Is Surprised To Find Out That The Republican Party Doesn't Actually Represent Its Voters"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Oh get the gently caress in :getin:

What a wonderful week so far!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I'm glad he did that, particularly given the fact that he suggested he'd ban them during the campaign. I hope it heralds better and better positions from him.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Yeeeees
It's all one big chain of loving traitors

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Now crack the phylactery.

Caros
May 14, 2008

You know, I honestly thought he was dead.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

If Fox goes down Donnie's pressing the big red button for real. What is there to live for?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Caros posted:

You know, I honestly thought he was dead.

That was Ailes

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

gently caress yeah.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Please, please, PLEASE God, let there be proof that Tony Blair had an affair with his wife.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

KickerOfMice posted:

Probably, it wasn't just ground forces, they unloaded an AC-130 on them. Those things are terrifying.

This video isn't too graphic (although it does show real combat) but it gets the point across of just how absurdly lethal an AC-130 is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ihyD4w3zzU

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 10, 2018

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kafka Esq. posted:

That was Ailes

Eh, the world got a little darker for a half second. Then it brightened right up. Now he gets to deal with this before he dies.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Oh poo poo.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zwabu posted:

Not sure I understand how this could happen from one appearance if the company's stock shares didn't increase by 20x in value?

Assuming all of his wealth is facebook stock, which is a good simplifying assumption, that just means facebook stock went up by 4%.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Ben's rear end is up, sniping at Chris Coons like the sleazy tool he is.

Aaaaand now he's boo-hoo-hooing at the prospect of companies "policing" hate speech.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

:getin:

Now we just need the Kochs and the Mercers to get raided and we'll have all the right-wing fuckers under investigation.

KabukiAvenger
Jul 15, 2008

Prester Jane posted:

So my understanding of that event is Russia advanced on a rebel position (that had a couple of dozen US military advisers in it) with a mechanized force of about 550 men. One of their elements moved a tank forwards and fired approximately 25-30 rounds into a hill that was about 500 feet away from the base. It was a very deliberate and intentional probing action with no other purpose than to see how we would respond.

We responded by greasing 300 of the men they sent. Apparently when the counter-attack came the Russians were so terrified of provoking further counter-attacks that they simply tried to flee and did not return fire. Also apparently the survivors have some pretty horrific wounds and morale amongst Russian forces who might face US forces in actual combat is not exactly high right now.

The weirdest detail about this incident was that the Russian PMC was controlled by Putin's former chef buddy turned crony who is now under indictment by the Mueller investigation.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Caros posted:

Por que no los dos?

The last time Trump did this it was widely seen as a way for trump to try and bolster his popularity by being a big tough man. I don't remotely think that is the only reason, but at the same time, I have to imagine it factors into his decision making, Just like it is really hard not to look at Kosovo and wonder how much of that had to do with the fact that Clinton had just been impeached.

there was a long-running republican conspiracy theory that clinton bombed some camps in afghanistan to try to distract from monica lewinsky hearings that day, because he was supposedly targeting someone most people had never heard of and obviously that wasn't that important compared to the lewinsky hearings

for some reason, those stopped after sometime in september, 2001 and i've never heard them since :v:

i think it's dumb to jump to those conclusions when the action completely fits what we know of the person. trump already bombed syria once based on this exact provocation, assuming he is going to bomb another country to get a temporary reprieve from press coverage is silly when there's no need to assume that (and if we assumed that we should be seeing bombings basically every single week).

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

canepazzo posted:

If Fox goes down Donnie's pressing the big red button for real. What is there to live for?

It's not clear from the article what they did the raid for -- they just put it behind paywall but mentioned that this commission is more to do with price fixing. But who knows.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

KickerOfMice posted:

I wonder if this red, glowing burner on the stovetop is hot. I know, I'll find out by touching it with my tongue.

They probably were trying to figure out what the US RoE were and found out it was weapons free.

In a stand-up fight there isn't much better than the US military. Even with stuff like insurgencies, they got a whole lot better over time, at the expense of conventional tactic training in some cases. Doesn't mean this Syrian thing couldn't go the sideways, though. If it does I certainly hope they make a poster like the Serbs.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

evilweasel posted:

there was a long-running republican conspiracy theory that clinton bombed some camps in afghanistan to try to distract from monica lewinsky hearings that day, because he was supposedly targeting someone most people had never heard of and obviously that wasn't that important compared to the lewinsky hearings

Fun fact: this is literally what "Wag the Dog" was based on.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Tayter Swift posted:

It's not clear from the article what they did the raid for -- they just put it behind paywall but mentioned that this commission is more to do with price fixing. But who knows.

I think the UK has looser evidence laws than we do. They might find something interesting they can use officially if they happen to find it.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

They probably were trying to figure out what the US RoE were and found out it was weapons free.

In a stand-up fight there isn't much better than the US military. Even with stuff like insurgencies, they got a whole lot better over time, at the expense of conventional tactic training in some cases. Doesn't mean this Syrian thing couldn't go the sideways, though. If it does I certainly hope they make a poster like the Serbs.

Wait, did they claim to have shot down 3? I thought only 1 was ever lost?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Krispy Wafer posted:

I thought only one F117 got shot down?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WHAT? No loving way. Really?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
PJ's video is bugging out, but an AC-130 is basically two tanks stapled onto the side of a gigantic cargo plane.

:q:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Vladimir Putin posted:

I thought only one F117 got shot down?

its propaganda. that war also did not go well for them

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

That movie didn’t really age well because that guy was some guy named Osama Bin Laden

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Even the title of the article you quoted disproves this

Hollywood Flashback: 'Wag the Dog' Foretold Bill Clinton's White House Scandal in 1997

quote:

The dark comedy about a president accused of groping a Girl Scout in the Oval Office was released just weeks before Clinton's relationship with White House intern Monica Lewinsky was revealed: Writer David Mamet "was trying to think of something that would never happen in real life," New Line's then-production president Michael De Luca says.

The timing was just......unfortunate.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

wilderthanmild posted:

Wait, did they claim to have shot down 3? I thought only 1 was ever lost?

Yeah, it was only one. I don't know if that's the original unmodified poster or not. It also could be a way to force the US to acknowledge and reaffirm that one was shot down since the immediate reaction is to question whether the Air Force lost more than expected.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

KickerOfMice posted:

PJ's video is bugging out, but an AC-130 is basically two tanks stapled onto the side of a gigantic cargo plane.

:q:

to be fair the AC-130 is p useless against anyone with an air force or advanced SAM missles. same for the warthog. a straight up fight in Syria with Russia would see a bunch of planes and poo poo get lost as we readjust to actually having someone who can counter airpower, even if we outnumber them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lote posted:

That movie didn’t really age well because that guy was some guy named Osama Bin Laden

Oh, I'd say it aged remarkably well - it just ended up applying far better to Dubya going into Iraq.

Like, I didn't know when it was released when I first saw it, so I flat-out assumed it was lampooning Bush.

• Locked thread