Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Katt
Nov 14, 2017

WoodrowSkillson posted:

to be fair the AC-130 is p useless against anyone with an air force or advanced SAM missles. same for the warthog. a straight up fight in Syria with Russia would see a bunch of planes and poo poo get lost as we readjust to actually having someone who can counter airpower, even if we outnumber them.

It does make me wonder where the US military will eventually "peak" with all this super expensive gear and air superiority taken for granted. The turbine engine tanks likewise has ridiculously large heat signatures and small operational range. Dependant on constant support from unarmoured fuel trucks. How would they fare in the long run with even contested air superiority?

Or the day some rich bastard state tests their new gently caress-you submarine by successfully sinking an Aircraft Carrier.

Katt fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

no, the bank fraud would have been entirely on Cohen's end.

That's good - I was worried I was missing some technicality. If the contract is indeed void, what are the rules about whether she would need to return the payout? I assume the criminal actions on Cohen's end probably affect that, as well as the specific details of the voided contract?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
In case there's any doubt about what's REALLY going on with these raids...

https://twitter.com/RyanLizza/status/983819832578715648/photo/1

Don't let them take your members.

Silverfang
Dec 30, 2011

Majorian posted:

As if you needed any more reasons, Ted Cruz and Lil' Marco are younger than Paul Ryan.

Let that sink in for a second.

Oh god Ted Cruz is YOUNGER than paul ryan? That's horrifying.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

KabukiAvenger posted:

True, the'yll look for any excuse to blow up the Iranian forces in their backyard. Although it begs the question why they didn't just fire a volley of cruise missiles instead of risking pilots/planes. IIRC Israel lost at least one f-16 in the attack.

I thought that was a few months ago.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/983819207174483969

reminder: the documents that nunes is asking for are documents that would compromise the investigation, and nunes already got caught red-handed leaking stuff

The FBI just raided the the properties of the Lawyer for the President

Devin Nunes: SUPER GENIUS- "Let's hold the head of the FBI and Justice Department in contempt!"

Good plan to antagonize them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Stickman posted:

That's good - I was worried I was missing some technicality. If the contract is indeed void, what are the rules about whether she would need to return the payout?

she would need to return it as a contractual matter, but i would withhold it and sue for damages for intentional fraud if i were her to defray legal costs

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ReidRansom posted:

Nunes probably belongs in jail. The way he's handling this whole thing feels like he's trying to guard his own hide from something.

Seriously he's either neck deep in something that he's desperately trying to derail the investigation of or thinks he'll be rewarded very handsomely for his corruption.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

We NEED to invest more money in developing the self-launching dog missile. If we don't close the self-launching dog missile gap, we don't have a country!

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I will laugh so hard if the Rupert Murdoch search today is related to US elections.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

she would need to return it as a contractual matter, but i would withhold it and sue for damages for intentional fraud if i were her to defray legal costs

Thanks again, always appreciated!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ReidRansom posted:

Nunes probably belongs in jail. The way he's handling this whole thing feels like he's trying to guard his own hide from something.

This has been obvious for months and months. I can't wait for him specifically to get hosed because he did so much to enable this to go on for so long.

Lote posted:

I will laugh so hard if the Rupert Murdoch search today is related to US elections.

I don't believe in coincidences. It would be one hell of a coincidence for this and trump's lawyer getting raided one day, and then a completely unrelated thing happen with rupert murdoch the next day.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BrianBoitano posted:

Sure, he left the decoy notes out. Everyone knows he's getting live advice through his neural wifi implant :rolleyes:
Remember all those early pre-cambrian internet memes that conclusively showed Dubya had a wireless microphone to feed him answers and rebuttals during the Kerry debates?

empty whippet box posted:

This has been obvious for months and months. I can't wait for him specifically to get hosed because he did so much to enable this to go on for so long.
Dude probably has a small and well documented stash of Russian Moneys that he's trying to get out from.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Meanwhile Pruitt continues to do his job

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/983818314274234370?s=21

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Nunes' punishment should be a shockcollar that shocks him if he says anything that isn't "noot"

Yes I want him to be Pingu.

KabukiAvenger
Jul 15, 2008

evilweasel posted:

I thought that was a few months ago.

Whoops you may be right. Twitter moved so fast last night I think I got the details confused.

In that case, so much for the mighty S300 missile system

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The real problem is the leaks!

quote:

The two Democrats demanded oversight hearings into Pruitt's security spending, citing an internal EPA review, Secret Service threat assessments and a Joint Terrorism Task Force report.

But Barrasso rejected their request, while bashing the two Democrats for releasing “sensitive information.”

"I am deeply troubled that members of the committee would publicly release law enforcement sensitive information regarding the safety and security of a cabinet member and his family,” Barrasso said in a statement. "This letter selectively quotes non-public documents."

Barrasso added that "any reasonable reading" of those documents supported a conclusion that Pruitt faced a "variety of direct death threats."

To the contrary, Carper and Whitehouse said the Secret Service identified no “reports of behaviors of interest” against Pruitt, and internal EPA reviews dispute “the administrator’s claims that the nature of the threats against him justify his expenditures.”

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Weren’t the Russian mercs completely surprised when the base retaliated and wiped out like 100 guys?

IIRC, US notified the Russian military, who of course had no idea of what the mercs were up to.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Still the greatest twitter account ever to exist.

Silverfang
Dec 30, 2011

Stickman posted:

The real problem is the leaks!

That's right. I was told several times that the news was fake but the leaks were real. Real leaks about fake news is a real threat.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

evilweasel posted:

Iraq had russian-made air defense iirc and it, uh, didn't do so hot. I mean, bombing places with russian-made anti-aircraft is most of what the military has been doing since Vietnam. Nobody has been good at it since then but Syria and Russia won't be either.

My impression was that most of Iraq's Russian hardware was 20-30 years out of date in the first Iraq war, never mind the second.

I mean, a lot of the modern Russian hardware is likely pretty old, but the leftover crap they gave to a client state is probably not a good comparison with the stuff actual Russian forces are likely to field.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Silverfang posted:

Oh god Ted Cruz is YOUNGER than paul ryan? That's horrifying.

Ted Cruz's claimed age.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Ague Proof posted:

Ted Cruz's claimed age.

I think it's just their average age.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

OddObserver posted:

IIRC, US notified the Russian military, who of course had no idea of what the mercs were up to.

*cough* contractors *cough*

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Warren and Sanders need to retire soon too. You're doing a disservice to the next generation of any organization if you won't hand over the reins.

Warren hasn't even completed a single term

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

to be fair the AC-130 is p useless against anyone with an air force or advanced SAM missles. same for the warthog. a straight up fight in Syria with Russia would see a bunch of planes and poo poo get lost as we readjust to actually having someone who can counter airpower, even if we outnumber them.

Back in the day when the USAF was prepared to fight the Godless Russki Hordes as they rolled through the Fulda Gap, they were expecting to lose all 700 A-10's in less than 3 weeks. Assuming the whole thing didn't go Nuclear in the first week, which let's be honest it probably would have.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Warren and Sanders need to retire soon too. You're doing a disservice to the next generation of any organization if you won't hand over the reins.

:laffo: Even the youngest members of the Senate are clueless idiots.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ague Proof posted:

Ted Cruz's claimed age.

The Body of Cruz

If the queen and every drone in the colony has been replaced, does the colony still remain fundamentally Ted Cruz?

Silverfang
Dec 30, 2011

Stickman posted:

I think it's just their average age.

It has been 47 years since the Ted Cruz collective achieved sapience, long may they live.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

should have been Beakbook, 7/10

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/nafisehkBBC/status/983824392621842433?s=20

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

duodenum posted:

*cough* contractors *cough*

Fair enough. They were after all interested in expanding their petroleum business.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
China's been talking about lowering tarrifs on cars for months. And they probably have their own reasons for doing so since they're trying to shift to a more consumer economy. But Trump has has his dick caught in so many traps at the moment all Xi had to do was mention it again to get our tough negotiator purring like a kitten. Only validation he's gotten in weeks.

Silverfang
Dec 30, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

should have been Beakbook, 7/10

Crow/Magpie 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

eyebeem posted:

The Body of Cruz

If the queen and every drone in the colony has been replaced, does the colony still remain fundamentally Ted Cruz?

I think it depends on the amount of decay before the neural-crystal structures can be consumed by the next generation.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lead out in cuffs posted:

My impression was that most of Iraq's Russian hardware was 20-30 years out of date in the first Iraq war, never mind the second.

I mean, a lot of the modern Russian hardware is likely pretty old, but the leftover crap they gave to a client state is probably not a good comparison with the stuff actual Russian forces are likely to field.

My recollection was in the second war they had Russia’s good stuff because Russia basically wanted to test it. I recall something like American gps bombs hitting the gps jammer dead on or some similar level of demonstration the stuff was no good.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nonsense posted:

:laffo: Even the youngest members of the Senate are clueless idiots.

Yep, in fact, a lot of the absolute worst legislators are on the younger side. Besides Ryan, Cruz, and Rubio, Nunes is 44, Cotton is 40, Labrador is 50, Mike Lee is 46...

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I like how when the work day starts winding down the posts per minute in this thread drops by an order of magnitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Katt posted:

It does make me wonder where the US military will eventually "peak" with all this super expensive gear and air superiority taken for granted. The turbine engine tanks likewise has ridiculously large heat signatures and small operational range. Dependant on constant support from unarmoured fuel trucks. How would they fare in the long run with even contested air superiority?

Or the day some rich bastard state tests their new gently caress-you submarine by successfully sinking an Aircraft Carrier.

What helped the US beat Germany and Japan in WWII in the air war was their deeper bench in pilots and that hasn't changed. Even if we're losing planes on a 1:1 basis, any opponent we're fighting against is going to have a tough time keeping the planes they do have in the air.

A real war against a comparable foe is going to hurt. I don't think anyone is doubting that. Syria is not going to be that foe and Russia isn't either. Eventually we'll get beat because we'll be fighting the next war with the last war's tactics and technologies. So...nanobots. North Korean nanobots will beat us.

• Locked thread