Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Hey guys, I have no idea if this movie's going to be good, an absolute shitfest or somewhere in between (probably #3)

Anyway, here's a lovely trailer for a not-so-lovely film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRVD32rnzOw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

She's a really good actress but she's British, meaning that she doesn't give a poo poo about whatever movie she's in.

I heard she sucks in plays too though?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PostNouveau posted:

I heard she sucks in plays too though?

I'm sure she's fine in plays too, people just don't take her seriously because she looks like she's 11 years old and is always making comical faces.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

She's a really good actress but she's British, meaning that she doesn't give a poo poo about whatever movie she's in.

I hate it when Brits do this. loving limey bastards wasting everyone’s time

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sponges posted:

I hate it when Brits do this. loving limey bastards wasting everyone’s time

By that I mean, she doesn't seem to care if the movie is Twelfth Night or Terminator, she'll be in anything that pays.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

thrawn527 posted:

I honestly don't know much about Clarke. I don't watch Game of Thrones (because I read the books and I can't put myself through that misery again), so the only thing I've seen her in was her Terminator movie. Which, I mean, the sheer amount of problems with that movie make it so I don't really notice if she's any good or not. She seemed fine, but a ham sandwich would seem like a decent actor next to Jai Courtney, and the script doesn't give her anything interesting to do. So this movie is going to be the first real chance I have to see if she's alright.

I know popular opinion lately seems to be that she's a terrible actress, but I haven't seen evidence as to why yet.

It's almost like the show is different than the books. You should give it a try.

UmOk posted:

I think you might not understand the concept of mitigation

It's going to be even more of an unmitigated disaster than TLJ at the box office, which was already abysmal by Star Wars standards.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Emilia Clarke mostly stood out in Terminator because the previous two portrayals of that same character have been so excellent. Hamilton and Headey were anything but bland and forgettable, which is what Clarke is in Genisys.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 10, 2018

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Clarke is very good IMO. She does her best with the plate of poo poo she's given.

Me Before You seems to have been received positively.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

viral spiral posted:

It's almost like the show is different than the books. You should give it a try.

I watched the first episode, felt the familiar sense of dread and depression I felt from the books, decided I couldn't put myself through that again.

viral spiral posted:

It's going to be even more of an unmitigated disaster than TLJ at the box office, which was already abysmal by Star Wars standards.

Again, this is arguing over the use of the word "unmitigated". They are mitigating the poo poo out of this potential disaster. It might still be a disaster, but that would just mean their mitigation didn't work.

This is really splitting hairs.

But also, TLJ was not a disaster at the box office, unmitigated or not. It made over $1.3 billion, and is the 2nd highest grossing Star Wars movie (6th out of 9 when adjusted for inflation, but still). To say it was "abysmal" is just silly.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If you try a hundred different things to mitigate, and they all fail and it's a complete disaster anyway, well you didn't mitigate. It's unmitigated. You tried and failed to mitigate.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Basebf555 posted:

If you try a hundred different things to mitigate, and they all fail and it's a complete disaster anyway, well you didn't mitigate. It's unmitigated. You tried and failed to mitigate.

...yeah, alright, I can see that. Withdrawn.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

thrawn527 posted:

I watched the first episode, felt the familiar sense of dread and depression I felt from the books, decided I couldn't put myself through that again.

Are you making GBS threads me? The show is entertaining as hell, even if it does not have the best writing. Dread and depression do not appear on the radar whenever I talk to someone about the show.

thrawn527 posted:

Again, this is arguing over the use of the word "unmitigated". They are mitigating the poo poo out of this potential disaster. It might still be a disaster, but that would just mean their mitigation didn't work.

This is really splitting hairs.

They are trying to mitigate an unmitigated disaster—yeah, NO poo poo. It was a film no one asked for, and I bet the actor playing Han will single-handedly bring this film's critical potential down. In other words, an unmitigated disaster like this is unsalvageable; even with Disney's considerable PR team.

thrawn527 posted:

But also, TLJ was not a disaster at the box office, unmitigated or not. It made over $1.3 billion, and is the 2nd highest grossing Star Wars movie (6th out of 9 when adjusted for inflation, but still). To say it was "abysmal" is just silly.

It made $700 million less than TFA. That is disastrous by Disney's standards. FFS, the Avengers made more than TLJ six years ago.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Let's never ever talk about the definition of the word "mitigate" and whether or not something about a movie does or does not meet the definition of "mitigate" or if an attempted mitigation was successful or Jesus Christ shut the gently caress up, all of you.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

viral spiral posted:

Are you making GBS threads me? The show is entertaining as hell, even if it does not have the best writing. Dread and depression do not appear on the radar whenever I talk to someone about the show.

They are trying to mitigate an unmitigated disaster—yeah, NO poo poo. It was a film no one asked for, and I bet the actor playing Han will single-handedly bring this film's critical potential down. In other words, an unmitigated disaster like this is unsalvageable; even with Disney's considerable PR team.

I'll cede the unmitigated part.

viral spiral posted:

It made $700 million less than TFA. That is disastrous by Disney's standards. FFS, the Avengers made more than TLJ six years ago.

It's the 7th top grossing film of all time. It did fantastic. Is the Avengers a disaster because Titanic made more money that it 15 years before the Avengers came out?

It did make less money than the TFA, but it also had no where near the same hype that TFA did. It also did more than the most recent Star Wars movie before it, Rogue One.

The idea that TLJ was a financial disaster just does not hold up.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

It's the 7th top grossing film of all time. It did fantastic. Is the Avengers a disaster because Titanic made more money that it 15 years before the Avengers came out?

It did make less money than the TFA, but it also had no where near the same hype that TFA did. It also did more than the most recent Star Wars movie before it, Rogue One.

The idea that TLJ was a financial disaster just does not hold up.

It wasn't a disaster, but I'm pretty sure the heads at Disney are not happy with the film's performance at the box office, and they sure had meetings to discuss why the movie didn't make their predictions.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

El Chingon posted:

It wasn't a disaster, but I'm pretty sure the heads at Disney are not happy with the film's performance at the box office, and they sure had meetings to discuss why the movie didn't make their predictions.

i'm sure they'll wisely come to the conclusion that it was because it didn't have the hype train of 'star wars is finally back!' that tfa got to enjoy

surely they won't pin it all on tlj's incrementally small baby steps in doing anything beyond just being the same rebels vs empire nonsense tfa was

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm sure they'll wisely come to the conclusion that it was because it didn't have the hype train of 'star wars is finally back!' that tfa got to enjoy

TFA didn't have to contend with a Jumanji 2 or Greatest Showman either.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

TFA didn't have to contend with a Jumanji 2 or Greatest Showman either.

lord please don't tell me greatest showman actually did well enough to be a part of this conversation

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

lord please don't tell me greatest showman actually did well enough to be a part of this conversation

My sweet summer child.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brother Entropy posted:

Not as big as Jumanji but I'm given to understand it had pretty good staying power for what it was. It's in the top five live-action musicals ever, apparently.

The appeal of Jumanji is obvious, but consider: Greatest Showman is a brightly-coloured musical about a circus and it's only about an hour and a half long. If parents are going to pick something to see with their kids, they'll probably pick that over the one that's two and a half hours.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Brother Entropy posted:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=greatestshowman.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=greatestshowman.htm

Domestic Total as of Apr. 9, 2018: $172,987,176

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

christ that movie was totally in my blindspot then, didn't hear anyone I know who saw it or even mentioned wanting to see it

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

christ that movie was totally in my blindspot then, didn't hear anyone I know who saw it or even mentioned wanting to see it

You mean you don’t hang out with gangs of moms?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kart Barfunkel posted:

You mean you don’t hang out with gangs of moms?

if only

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My sister enjoyed it a lot and the other movie she really enjoyed last year was the live-action Beauty and the Beast remake. I feel like they played to similar audiences.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

El Chingon posted:

You’re pretty sure huh. Is it dream knowledge or are you using the force.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Obviously making a billion dollars is very disappointing

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

euphronius posted:

You’re pretty sure huh. Is it dream knowledge or are you using the force.

Look at the patterns.

It's not just that Last Jedi made less money (less than Black Panther, too, which nobody would believe if you said it a year ago), it's how it made less money. The smaller opening is easy to chalk up to the lack of "STAR WARS IS BACK!" energy, but it crashed hard on weekend two, and kept crashing. Which is a judgement on it, and maybe on Disney's handling of the brand in general.

I mean, it's a pretty simple concept in general. If a company banks on a project making 10K and it brings back a cool million, that's a success. If they expect 10 million, then it's a failure. Worse, it 'failed' in a way that suggests people will be less likely to want to see the next one.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
These things are very hard to judge, since you only have one data point a year, and the circumstances massively change in that time, and the studios are so fidgety with that much money in play that they do everything they can to move the pieces around by the next time.

So, if Disney panics and shifts everything around for ep 9, and ep 9 fails, did it fail because they shifted things? Because they didn't shift them enough?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I think we have to accept the fact that kids these days may not give as much of a gently caress about Star Wars. Chinese people definitely don’t give a gently caress.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It's their most endearing trait.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Why don't we evaluate Disney's purchase of LucasFilm for $4 billion in like, a couple of decades, after they've made their money back tenfold and then we can see if it was a "failure".

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jewmanji posted:

Why don't we evaluate Disney's purchase of LucasFilm for $4 billion in like, a couple of decades, after they've made their money back tenfold

Between box office, merchandising and television rights, they're probably well on their way there.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

chiasaur11 posted:

Look at the patterns.

It's not just that Last Jedi made less money (less than Black Panther, too, which nobody would believe if you said it a year ago), it's how it made less money. The smaller opening is easy to chalk up to the lack of "STAR WARS IS BACK!" energy, but it crashed hard on weekend two, and kept crashing. Which is a judgement on it, and maybe on Disney's handling of the brand in general.

I mean, it's a pretty simple concept in general. If a company banks on a project making 10K and it brings back a cool million, that's a success. If they expect 10 million, then it's a failure. Worse, it 'failed' in a way that suggests people will be less likely to want to see the next one.

How would you have any way of knowing what Disney was banking on it making? The closest anyone has brought up in the past is what some random “industry experts” predicted. But Disney will have for sure had their own estimates. And there is no reason to assume what they said.

I am in no way saying that it met those expectations, because of course I have no way of knowing either. But it made over a billion dollars, and is the seventh highest grossing film of all time. They were so happy with Johnson that they gave him his own trilogy. Yes that was before TLJ came out, but we’ve seen plenty of evidence that Kennedy has zero issue with firing a director if they change their mind. Disney is clearing happy with this movie that made a ton of money.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 11, 2018

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

aBagorn posted:

Different type of acting but I went to see her on Broadway and it was beyond terrible.

the times savaged that production and it closed early. i think emilia clarke might not be a very good actress.

Big Broadway Ben posted:

Clad in Stork Club-ready gowns by Colleen Atwood, the round-cheeked Ms. Clarke (best known as the dragon-breeding queen in the HBO fantasy series “Game of Thrones”) looks positively edible, bringing to mind photographs of the teenage Gloria Vanderbilt on the town.

But there’s no hint of the feral hillbilly, the uncageable wild thing, that Holly once was. Instead Ms. Clarke comes across as an under-age debutante trying very, very hard to pass for a sophisticated grown-up. This makes Holly’s whimsy go soggy. And you just know that when she turns sad and sentimental at the end, it will happen with a quavering voice and a trembling lip...

...There are a couple of party scenes that throb with the unease of people working overtime to make you believe they’re having fun. The star of the first of these is a big orange tabby (selected from a much-publicized casting call) that, when I saw the show, leapt out of Holly’s arms and into the wings before the festivities really got started.

That cat exuded an enviable air of devil-may-care independence as it zipped off the stage. Maybe it should have played Holly. In any case I knew I wanted to go wherever that cat was going.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

4 billion was a ridiculous steal.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Wheat Loaf posted:

My sister enjoyed it a lot and the other movie she really enjoyed last year was the live-action Beauty and the Beast remake. I feel like they played to similar audiences.

now i remember the beauty and the beast remake. god that sucked

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

R. Guyovich posted:

now i remember the beauty and the beast remake. god that sucked

Lmao it made like 4 billion dollars

(Not saying it was good or whatever)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Greatest Showman is so loving terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

euphronius posted:

Lmao it made like 4 billion dollars

(Not saying it was good or whatever)

thanks for telling me the movie everyone knows made a lot of money made a lot of money.

e: i read it again the way you probably intended and this was unnecessarily rude. sorry and god bless.

R. Guyovich fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 11, 2018