Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Quick and dirty suggestion for grating to indicate built-up areas of military installations/etc on your natural mat, or for your scratchbuilt hangars: Plastic canvas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Can't wait until everyone's complaining that the Mandalorian mercenaries in Wave IX make the Imperial Jumptroopers of Wave VII obsolete and that the one upgrade card necessary to make Sy Snootles a good general is only found in the $100 Sarlacc pit expansion.

BTW, for anyone concerned that there might be a shortage of new trooper types for future releases, the new Solo movie alone has introduced Mud Troopers, Range Troopers, and Patrol Troopers with a new Imperial speeder bike.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 6, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Deviant posted:

Am I confused, or is Darth Vader in the learning game with no powers really bad? He didn't seem to have any mitigation beyond deflect, and I was just throwing dice and hoping they stuck.

I think he's just really bad, period. Its too hard to get value out of him without risking him getting sniped, and Son of Skywalker lets Luke remove him for free almost in late game.

fadam fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 6, 2018

D0ct0rAlanGrant
Aug 23, 2007

~My country is a complete embarrassment to world football and they deserve abuse from everyone at all times.~

~Handle your balls? Frenchmen can't resist!~
Finally get to play a game tonight. Only have my imperials done, and my at-st not built fully yet. Most of the paintings done, just need to get new grey primer for the at-st. Kinda hard to build a 800 pt army with only core and At-st. Sadly my shop is having trouble ordering more Troopers and Rebels by themselves so i gotta order it online.

Ive been watching a ton of games played online and its pretty interesting, and it scratches that itch for an affordable WH40k. Honestly can't wait for Veers to come out.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

fadam posted:

I think he's just really bad, period. Its too hard to get value out of him without risking him getting sniped, and Son of Skywalker let's Luke remove him for free almost in late game.

that's okay, i'm more of a veers man anyway. but i had heard stories of vader being a deflecting, covering, infinite suppression machine

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

He's... far from aggressively costed. Looking forward to having a proper commander.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
From some initial skirmishes, I think you can realistically have Vader or an ATST, if you have both you'll lack the manpower to push. Speeder bikes are the poo poo.

The Rebel ship troopers are really going to shake up the cover game as ignoring cover out to Range 2 with their whole attack pool seems pretty good. And the snowtroopers will be good at holding objectives with their flamethrower, move twice and roast any squad that gets close.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 7, 2018

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I was able to play in a small tournament today and was pretty impressed with the game. Coming from Warmachine I was a little worried about complexity level, but it felt like a ton of strategy was there. Considering objectives, command cards, order of activation and how to actually resolve a given units turn in terms of action choices means it involved a lot of thought. Like any wargame there were swingy moments with specific dice roles but overall every match felt like the result of distinct choices and not luck. The streamlined elements of the movement tools and custom dice make everything feel pretty clean and very X-Wing-like. There's not a lot of kludge to it. I'm enthusiastic about this thing, but granted that's only after a day of playing. I hope it manages to get a foothold and winds up a healthy game.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
The new Solo trailer showed some sort of heavy weapon AT-ST variant being dropped onto the battlefield.

https://imgur.com/a/Y7cDw

Also a battle involving Mudtroopers, who are definitely going to be a popular option whenever FFG includes them.

https://imgur.com/a/ffAfG

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

The new Solo trailer showed some sort of heavy weapon AT-ST variant being dropped onto the battlefield.

Also a battle involving Mudtroopers, who are definitely going to be a popular option whenever FFG includes them.

https://imgur.com/a/ffAfG

:allears:

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I'm in the middle of a full game now on TTS (playing when we can over the course of the last week). We're playing on the Sullust refinery map, and Darth Vader chucked a light-saber (with his free attack after taking a double move) at a troop of four rebels on a bridge, taking out two of them.

I (almost) like Darth again. Having the force powers helps a lot.

Does anyone have a good answer on how courage works? is it for the entire unit, or each mini in a unit, like wound threshold? I notice the wording is different.
"Each miniature in a player’s army has a wound
threshold presented on its unit card."

"A trooper unit’s courage is indicated by the
value next to the courage icon"

which makes me think it's the courage is for the entire unit (so, 2 suppression on a unit of stormtroopers is panicked, no matter how many you have in that unit). Looking I couldn't find a definite answer though.

My storm troopers got 6(!) suppression. Rallied 4 of them, and was still panicked, while in engaged with Luke skywalker, and bolted right off the edge.

Like I said before, I made up some proxies... (ran out of ink, so weird colors)

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 11, 2018

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Courage is for the unit. Remember the unit can use their commanders courage if they’re within range 3 of them too. Which means Stormtroopers near Darth will never run.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Yeah. Sadly they were a bit too far away. I did know about that, because another troop that was near panic was near Darth, but I think they reduced down to low enough it never mattered.

I've been toying with list building. I don't think I've seen anyone share lists here yet. (There's a good list builder at tabletop admiral, there's also a wiki).

As usual with list building, I try to do intentionally weird stuff.

Like see how many indivisual minis I can put on the field...

Stormtrooper Swarm (8 units, 36 minis, 795 Pts)
General Veers 80
Commanding Presence, Esteemed Leader,
Darth Vader 200
Force Choke, Saber Throw, Force Reflexes,
Stormtroopers 44
DLT-19 Stormtrooper, Stormtrooper, Targeting Scopes,
Stormtroopers 44
Stormtroopers 44
HH-12 Stormtrooper, Stormtrooper, Targeting Scopes,
Stormtroopers 44
Stormtroopers 44
Stormtrooper,
Stormtroopers 44
Stormtrooper,

Or how many speeders (prob. a bad idea)...

Lotsabikes (7 Units, 25 Minis, 800 Pts)
Darth Vader 200
Force Choke, Force Push, Saber Throw,
Stormtroopers 44
Stormtroopers 44
Stormtroopers 44
74-Z Speeder Bikes 90
Long-Range Comlink,
74-Z Speeder Bikes 90
Long-Range Comlink,
74-Z Speeder Bikes 90
Long-Range Comlink,

Or AT-STs...

Twin AT-STs (6 Units, 18 Minis, 799 Pts)

General Veers 80
Commanding Presence, Esteemed Leader, Targeting Scopes,
Stormtroopers 44
Stormtrooper, Targeting Scopes, Concussion Grenades,
Stormtroopers 44
Stormtrooper, Targeting Scopes,
Stormtroopers 44
Stormtrooper, Targeting Scopes,
AT-ST 195
General Weiss, 88 Twin Light Blaster Cannon, AT-ST Mortar Launcher, DW-3 Concussion Grenade Launcher, Long-Range Comlink,
AT-ST 195
88 Twin Light Blaster Cannon, AT-ST Mortar Launcher, DW-3 Concussion Grenade Launcher, Long-Range Comlink,

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 11, 2018

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

That last one isn't valid since you need 3 Stormtrooper units. Swap Vader out for Veers, though, and you've got the needed point room.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Oh yeah, good catch. Fixed.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Once the Snowtroopers are out, you can replace the Stormtroopers with them and have enough points for everyone to get scopes, an extra man, and grenades. Steady seems like it'd be real nice, especially since you can get precise back from the scopes, so you're not losing anything.

General Veers 80
Commanding Presence, Esteemed Leader, Targeting Scopes,
Snowtroopers 40
Snowtrooper, Targeting Scopes, Concussion Grenades,
Snowtroopers 40
Snowtroopers 40
AT-ST 195
General Weiss, 88 Twin Light Blaster Cannon, AT-ST Mortar Launcher, DW-3 Concussion Grenade Launcher, Long-Range Comlink,
AT-ST 195
88 Twin Light Blaster Cannon, AT-ST Mortar Launcher, DW-3 Concussion Grenade Launcher, Long-Range Comlink,

Just advance up the board pounding away at everything.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
This is what I am running right now. AT-RTs converting surges to crits is just so drat mean. Probably going to drop Luke when Leia comes out and add some fleet troopers with shottys

Luke Skywalker [160]
Force Reflexes [15]
Battle Meditation [10]

Rebel Troopers [40]
Rebel Trooper [10]
Impact Grenades [5]

Rebel Troopers [40]
Rebel Trooper [10]
Impact Grenades [5]

Rebel Troopers [40]
Rebel Trooper [10]

T-47 Airspeeder [175]
Wedge Antilles [5]
Ax-108 Ground Buzzer [20]

AT-RT [55]
AT-RT Rotary Blaster [30]

AT-RT [55]

AT-RT [55]

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

Just to follow up on this: these images show some new armour, vehicles, and weapons from Solo in a Sabacc game; figures from the battle on Mimban; and a shot from the set of the battle.

https://imgur.com/a/iBhBR
https://imgur.com/a/kykc8
https://imgur.com/a/Bpnuh

It seems that the new walker, called an AT-DT, is a smaller AT-ST straight up armed with two 88s :captainpop:

Edit: and a higher quality screencap

https://imgur.com/a/cLD3z

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 11, 2018

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Right now everyone has the same condition/objective/environment cards. However when the objectives expansion comes out that will change. How do you determine whose set of cards will be used to determine the battlefield?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Raged posted:

Right now everyone has the same condition/objective/environment cards. However when the objectives expansion comes out that will change. How do you determine whose set of cards will be used to determine the battlefield?

I imagine that we'll see a tournament rules document for a standard format that will cover that. Right now, the event documents just call out specifically which condition/objective/environment cards to use.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/cd/0d/cd0d3301-fc0d-42f0-a0fd-1932d61a8056/swl_gathering_forces_eo.pdf

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

The beginner guide and rules reference books has rules for choosing those cards:

quote:

Define Battlefield: Starting with the blue player, players take
turns choosing a category and eliminating the leftmost card
in that category (see the example below). A player may also
forfeit their opportunity to eliminate a card if they wish to do
so. After each player has had two opportunities to eliminate
a card, the leftmost card remaining in each row is the card
used during the battle. If players eliminate the first two cards
in a category, the final card cannot be eliminated.

E: Oh, wait. You mean if people don't have cards the other players have. Sorry, I misunderstood. Shuffling them together would be weird. I don't know.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Hopefully we see tournament rules soon since ya know they are promoting tournaments with the reinforce,t packs and the new pack coming out.

Not like they have shown up in Australia......

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Just had a game where a friend ran tons of stormtroopers. His white dice were just evil. Talking multiple natural rolls of 4 crits. My Snowspeeder died in one turn. Any tips for flying the speeder?

Raged fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 14, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Take it as cheap as possible (maybe take Wedge) and pray you don't get any of the capture and hold missions imo.

I think it's really overcosted right now. I've never seen anyone get their points back from it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Has anyone been running AT-RTs with the flamethrower? Had a game today where it took almost 3 rounds to wipe out a squad of stormtroopers in cover with 3 AT-RTs with rotary blasters. Red dice armour is stupidly strong.

Just plain ole having trouble with rebel troopers too. Finding it really hard to get them into cover w/a dodge token before they get eaten alive. The problem probably is playing against people having the table set up before I get to the shop and me not wanting to be a jerk and have us set it up one piece at a time.

Still, gently caress stormtrooper armor

Raged fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 15, 2018

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Raged posted:

Has anyone been running AT-RTs with the flamethrower? Had a game today where it took almost 3 rounds to wipe out a squad of stormtroopers in cover with 3 AT-RTs with rotary blasters. Red dice armour is stupidly strong.

Just plain ole having trouble with rebel troopers too. Finding it really hard to get them into cover w/a dodge token before they get eaten alive. The problem probably is playing against people having the table set up before I get to the shop and me not wanting to be a jerk and have us set it up one piece at a time.

The game seems to be balanced around a platonic ideal of a ton of cover to make rebel troopers worth a drat which seems to not be realized most of the time, and rebels really suffer hard because of it. Imperials are the Space Marines of Legion.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Devlan Mud posted:

The game seems to be balanced around a platonic ideal of a ton of cover to make rebel troopers worth a drat which seems to not be realized most of the time, and rebels really suffer hard because of it. Imperials are the Space Marines of Legion.

After the last few games, I am going to build a boatload of barricades and bunkers and use them every game.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I don't think you would be a jerk for asking to check/redo terrain - Legion seems to be pretty dependent on terrain for gameplay, and yeah, I think the rebels are kind of dependent on it to some extent.

I think the rules say that the table should be about 25% terrain? With some pieces that completely block LoS as well.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yes, be a stickler for terrain and bust out the competitive placement rules from the reference. You need lots of poo poo to both break up line of sight entirely as well as tons of waist-high stuff for easy/obvious cover. From my experiences so far it's fine if there are lots of options for stuff to dig in; As discussed, rebels need it due to their lovely defense dice, but hunkering down in an army-wide sense and trying to play a war of attrition isn't conducive to the turn limit and objective focused play. Nobody wants a big open field with a bunch of jabronis taking long range pot shots at each other from the one or two pieces of cover that exist closest to their deployment zone.

Also give consideration to climbing as well as the AT-ST and Airspeeder. One or two things should also be tall as hell to impede that type of stuff as well.

Gumdrop Larry fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 15, 2018

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Invite your imperial playing buddies to try a few games as rebels on the same table.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Destroy their illusions of superiority.

Still painting my guys up, but I'm glad I spent some time making a heap of terrain for this!

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Raged posted:

4+ save isn't even good tho, look how fast Luke dies :ghost:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is anyone magnetizing their AT-ST head? or are they just gluing it on? what a good sized magnet to use?

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

Is anyone magnetizing their AT-ST head? or are they just gluing it on? what a good sized magnet to use?

i magnetized mine, used 8mmx1mm magnets iirc

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Can you build an army without Luke or Vader?

Seems like you lose a lot of options if you want to field Vader and an AT-ST.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Eventually yes. Right now, Vader is the only released Imperial Commander. General Veers is out soon, and I imagine there will be more commanders to follow. The Rebels have 2 others announced besides Luke, in Leia and Han.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Makes sense. I'm thinking the best powers for Vader must be

- Saber Throw (A must have for Relentless)
- Force Push (for ripping units over cover, or closer to you for melee engagement)

and ???

Thinking nothing, or maybe Force Choke to micro-target special weapon minis, or Force Reflexes to keep dodge tokens up? They're both selectively useful.

Battle Meditation seems meh.

Also: If I have a group of storm troopers firing together, and one of them opts to use concussion grenades (Range 1 Black 1 Blast), does the entire attack pool ignore cover? I can't see anything where the keywords only modify their specific dice?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 17, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sabre throw is basically necessary if you want to get any of his value back. Force Reflexes is okay and can help you live through a SoS turn, and there's not a whole lot else to spend points on right now so there's no real reason to not take it. Battle Meditation is very nice if you're taking the bikes.

I've played around with Force Push quite a bit on Luke (I've only played Vader during a tutorial game) and while I liked it at first, I've grown colder on it and don't take it any more. It's probably better on Vader because it gives you a threat extension to get into melee, but in practice I think doing that is rarely a smart decision because Vader is typically just going to get shot to death right after.

fadam fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 17, 2018

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

fadam posted:

Sabre throw is basically necessary if you want to get any of his value back. Force Reflexes is okay and can help you live through a SoS turn, and there's not a whole lot else to spend points on right now so there's no real reason to not take it. Battle Meditation is also very nice if you're taking speeder bikes.

Long Range Commlink does the same as Battle Meditation for the bikes, though, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Deviant posted:

Long Range Commlink does the same as Battle Meditation for the bikes, though, yes?

Yeah, but if you're running multiples BM lets you order any of your bikes. It's also very clutch with the card that lets your guys deepstrike.

I think spending a force slot on BM is better value than putting long range comms on multiple bikes.

My hot take is that if people continue to take the expensive force guys after Leia/Veers/Han/whoever get released, it will be because BM makes the game a lot easier to play and really gives you extra flexibility.

fadam fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 17, 2018