Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hooman posted:

This but refugees

I thought it was about refugees to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/983167269923516417

The future is bright.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Sussan Ley good????

lolno

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
I unironically thought that was what it was about until the words "sheep exports"

E,fb

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Obvious solution is to put the economic migrants on the sheep carriers and send them back that way. Tell them to make sure the sheep don't die or they don't get a return voyage.

(obviously some sheep will die and they get kicked off wherever, out of sight and mind)

It'll be a surefire hit with the voters.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Send the sheep to New Zealand they'll love them there.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

swap a refugee for margaret court

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bell jar posted:

swap a refugee for margaret court

Hell give us one of the dead sheep back and they can take her as swapsies.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

Yeah people have started calling me a soy boy and a race traitor and stuff on Facebook so I had to block all those weirdos I did a uni assignment with that one time.

Anidav posted:

I hate the Alt Right. Their language affects all my friends and all they had to do was hang out on Twitch Chat.

Cuckcuckcuckcuck lelelelelelelelel kekekek

I feel for you but these posts made me laugh very much

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
derryn hinch you are a senator, don't send round change.org petitions in lieu of doing your loving job

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Hell give us one of the dead sheep back and they can take her as swapsies.

Hey, they don't even have to swapsies, we'll let her go for free.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Schlesische posted:

Hey, they don't even have to swapsies, we'll let her go for free.

Can't argue with that. :shrug:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Starshark posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/09/why-liddell-is-likely-to-close-in-2022-and-why-you-shouldnt-care?CMP=share_btn_tw

More at the link, which I've linked because there are a couple of nice pictures and a lovely graph.

Well well well a Holmes à Court is working in academia about energy. Probably can take that to the bank then.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Knobb Manwich posted:

yes

it stems from the well-researched and peer reviewed scientific studies such as that surmise eating soy products increases estrogen in men leading to feminine traits and behaviour due to lack of manly testosterone

Reckon it's also because people with european ancestry are more likely to retain lactose tolerance into adulthood - soy milk being a popular substitute for cow's milk. lovely ideas about masculinity and lovely ideas about race go together

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Nothing says master race like the ability to drink the mammary fluid from another species.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
To suck on a tit is the most manly of all things

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Greg Barber accused of bullying and sexual discrimination and paid $9000 of his own money to avoid having to give an apology, with the Dept of Parliamentary Services paying the other $47,000 in a settlement.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Real :biotruths: time: soy milk tastes bad tho

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Zenithe posted:

See also SJW, because fighting for social justice = inherently bad apparently.

"Look at this dickhead, who cares about people who aren't even him."

Zenithe posted:

Nothing says master race like the ability to drink the mammary fluid from another species.

This is literally something neo-nazis were boasting about last year, posting videos of themselves chugging milk, because we are through the looking glass and all live in a Tim and Eric sketch now.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Yeah, everyone wishes they could be as manly as a baby cow.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Zenithe posted:

See also SJW, because fighting for social justice = inherently bad apparently.

Fucken' do-gooder

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Yeah, everyone wishes they could be as manly as a baby cow.

Lol, look at this. You think baby cows get to drink their mother's milk? That's for colesworths, not them.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Baby cows have to buy their milk like everyone else

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Yeah screw those weaners.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-11/salim-mehajer-guilty-of-electoral-fraud-auburn-council-elections/9640204

quote:

Salim Mehajer has been convicted of multiple counts of electoral fraud, with a Sydney Magistrate finding he acted in a "joint criminal enterprise" with his sister to influence the 2012 Auburn Council elections.
The former deputy mayor of Auburn is currently before Central Local Court on more than 100 charges relating to forging documents and giving false or misleading information to the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC).

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Want an idea of how popular Dutton is?
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/983605439236489216

Okay sure, but that includes a bunch of left-wing voters who obviously prefer Turnbull over the others. What if you remove them?
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/983605722704314369

People tend to support the current leader because they're the leader. What if you take out Turnbull as an option, surely some of those Turnbull supporters would have Dutton as a second choice.
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/983606172572835840

This is what I said a few pages ago. Australians may largely be accepting or ambivalent about the horrifying policies that Dutton enacts, but that doesn't mean they actually like the guy who made the 'hard decisions'

One can accept that a lovely thing might happen. They might even talk themselves into thinking that it was 'necessary' but the guy who did won't be popular.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's also no surprise that people are backing in Turnbull because there's literally no one else

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

JBP posted:

It's also no surprise that people are backing in Turnbull because there's literally no one else

I have a feeling that the "literally nobody else" argument is largely because of the profile Turnbull built during his time in the wilderness, and not necessarily because there is literally nobody else in the party competent enough for the job.

Once they're turfed out and Turnbull drops his seat you'll see a few more nonames come out of the woodwork to assert themselves and after a while a clear runner will emerge and it'll all be on again. Best of all it won't be anybody who's in the ministry at the moment because they're all basted with the taint of an unpopular and harsh government, both this one and abbott's.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah it's worth remembering that no one thought Abbott would ever get near the leadership.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah it's worth remembering that no one thought Abbott would ever get near the leadership.

And when be did boy did he prove the naysayers wrong that he would run the party and government into the ground.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

who was that other one that came before abbott. i can't even remember his name now. brendan nelson. leland palmer looking motherfucker

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

bell jar posted:

who was that other one that came before abbott. i can't even remember his name now. brendan nelson. leland palmer looking motherfucker

Assuming Labour don't royally gently caress this up (good chance they will IMHO), we'll see another Brendan Nelson-like figure take leadership before whoever takes over in the leadup to the election after this one. He was never realistically going to take the LNP to the 20?11? election, but those first stumbling steps of opposition are always hard. You need someone to keep a straight face and hopefully keep the cameras on them while the real leadership contenders engage in an all out brawl in the carpark of the Woy Woy Maccas.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

bell jar posted:

I'll post this again because it's still funny and still relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yvC8-Y4hk0

I know I'm old and still remember this stuff, but I can't remember anything Brendan Nelson loving said outside trying to look more beige than Simon Crean.

Abbott was a sign that things had really changed in the party. Up to then whenever a governing leader was felled they'd put a moderate in: Hewson, Downer, Nelson, all moderates. I can't fault anyone for not picking up on Abbott, he just happened to be very loud and promised the world and they couldn't believe their luck that it worked. But now they have to eat their own, and there's nothing in the barrel. I think Les Affaires is right but mainly because the party itself has no idea how to follow Turnbull or he'd have been toppled by now. It depends on the next lying loudmouth and they'll put anyone up just to stop that narrative like the last time.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
JWHs greatest legacy was scouring the conservative side of politics of talent for a generation

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah being opposition leader straight after losing government is a thankless task. Shorten's done the best at it in decades, and that's mostly because the big internal shitfight happened before they lost government and everyone was sick of it. The Liberals are in for a rough period the next time they lose government.

Les Affaires posted:

Best of all it won't be anybody who's in the ministry at the moment because they're all basted with the taint of an unpopular and harsh government, both this one and abbott's.

Someone like Porter has a chance I think.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Prime Minister Kevin Andrews

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Well this is certainly a development. I hope someone wasn't holding onto the strings for the right timing but who the gently caress are we kidding, these people are shitstains of humanity.

Prime Minister's Department employee arrested amid allegations of indecent acts against minors

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

ewe2 posted:

I'll post this again because it's still funny and still relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yvC8-Y4hk0

I know I'm old and still remember this stuff, but I can't remember anything Brendan Nelson loving said outside trying to look more beige than Simon Crean.

Abbott was a sign that things had really changed in the party. Up to then whenever a governing leader was felled they'd put a moderate in: Hewson, Downer, Nelson, all moderates. I can't fault anyone for not picking up on Abbott, he just happened to be very loud and promised the world and they couldn't believe their luck that it worked. But now they have to eat their own, and there's nothing in the barrel. I think Les Affaires is right but mainly because the party itself has no idea how to follow Turnbull or he'd have been toppled by now. It depends on the next lying loudmouth and they'll put anyone up just to stop that narrative like the last time.

They know how to follow Turnbull, they just don't want to. It requires a policy pragmatism that accepts that certain things they held to be true may have applied once upon a time but don't anymore. That part hurts to admit, it's hard to move away from, and is politically damaging.

You're right though. When Turnbull loses (and there's pretty good odds he will), they'll find another moderate to take the fall to the election or shortly after it, they'll sit tight and wait for another charismatic dickhead like Abbott to rear his head, put him in place and hope that the electorate falls for it again. But it won't last forever, because their core demographic is dying rapidly, or at least finding it harder to get to the polling booth. By that point, the LNP will have had their crisis of either dying with their ideology intact or reforming somewhere further to the left (maybe not as far as the groins or labor) and just accepting electoral oblivion for the time being.

FWIW part of the core tenet of Liberal party ideology (not nationals though lol) is the primacy of the market and there's merit to that principle, but the shift in thinking that has happened recently is that the primacy is only beneficial in certain cases and is actually damaging some sectors and has been for a while now. Housing is a great example of where a social good has been hosed by a poorly regulated market and has been partly responsible for that political shift. I'm watching Frydenberg's national press club address and the NEM is actually a good thing but again, only if the market functions, and functions towards a reasonably social end.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If Turnbull manages to hold on to the next election I wonder if he will put as much money in this time.

If he does, it will make his concession speech even sweeter.

If he doesn't, the party will probably see it as him admitting defeat beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

They know how to follow Turnbull, they just don't want to. It requires a policy pragmatism that accepts that certain things they held to be true may have applied once upon a time but don't anymore. That part hurts to admit, it's hard to move away from, and is politically damaging.

Absolutely true which is why I didn't even canvass it because it's an argument they still have to have, if they ever have the balls to have it. And the problem with opposition is that they've never had a plan for it. The ALP on the other hand still have institutional memory of opposition (I'm talking pre-1950's) and what happens with real splits (like the Evatt period that Menzies capitalized on).

We've touched on this subject before about the Liberals: how for them ideology is always a culture war even if they lie to themselves about it; we've always known that climbing the ladder and getting with the corporate in-crowd post-politics is their core concern and literally everything else is window-dressing. It's what Prester Jane would call their Inner Narrative. No one can seriously argue that government is too intrusive in the market and at the same time legislate ways for corporations to avoid tax, people pick up on that eventually.

One might say well, they used to believe it at one time, perhaps some of them did, but I can't see how that could be the case when you take a closer look. The primacy of the market is an Outer Narrative, it sells what the big end of town wants, but it's really been more about divide and rule and they've largely succeeded in their mission to make most unions toothless, blunders like WorkChoices taught them they had to be more subtle. The failure was the left thinking it had won a war, not a battle but it's always war in politics. As a nation we follow political trends mostly, not lead them and the overturning of the conditions that created the middle class has been a century in the making across the "first nations", they were that patient and undeterred.

quote:

FWIW part of the core tenet of Liberal party ideology (not nationals though lol) is the primacy of the market and there's merit to that principle, but the shift in thinking that has happened recently is that the primacy is only beneficial in certain cases and is actually damaging some sectors and has been for a while now.

Markets exist because government permits them, in reality. Business wants regulation to protect it and then wants to tear regulation down that prevents it from whatever the latest stupid business fad is. Housing is a topic business doesn't want to deal with, its zoning that engages them, who gets what where and for how much. The government is also in the housing business and protects its investment with the same care as any landlord, perhaps with slightly relaxed rules.

The obvious damage is the public sectors of communication and energy. The mismanagement of which has been long-term and immensely damaging to everyone but the lotto-winners of coal stations and internet networks, and will continue to be for generations.

• Locked thread