Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Line drying is illegal in my community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Suspect Bucket posted:

Line drying is illegal in my community

Condolences on your bourgie hellhole.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

there wolf posted:

I've never had a front-loading washer and the idea that they walk/vibrate more is terrifying.

I’ve had several, and I’ve never seen it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

The dampers can fail, and the subsequent imbalance can cause this to happen:

Those black masses bolted to the inside are filled with concrete, which can crack, and then the vibrations get much, much worse. I don't remember getting a service plan, but it paid for itself with this repair.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

Yes mine too! How do you prevent this, it can’t be by design

Some condensation dryers just need some maintenance to be able to dry clothes acceptably (some are horrible). Find the manual and see if there's a removable condensation / heat exchanger module, clean that off, it's probably gross. Clean as much of the airpath to that as you can find/reach. Also make sure the door is closing fully, otherwise air won't cycle through the condensation area. The one I had to put up with (bosch axxis I think) had a strange pull out tray between the wash and the dryer, if that wasn't put in all the way it wouldn't dry (because the access door to the heat exchanger wouldn't close property).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Alas it is, where "design" is compromise. The drum can't be big enough to dry properly without being too big to wash properly.

Bingo. Read the manual, your 8kg* machine can wash 8kg but only promises to dry 4kg. Which is great because if you want to actually use the "wash then automatically dry" setting you can only do half loads.

* Your 8kg machine probably has exactly the same drum as the 7.5, 7, 6 and 5kg machines that came before it. Ask me about my time in white goods engineering when I watched a designer neatly fold and squeeze dry test loads until he got 8kg worth into the machine whereupon he declared it was suitable to relabel as 8kg rather than actually design a new product.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I don't know nothing about these fancy numbers you guys are talking about but our 2nd hand washer has been performing admirably for a decade now, clothes come out damp which is fine for us. Line drying inside during winters is fine too, adds some desperately needed humidity.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

It definitely happens, but usually because it's a) old b) faulty or c) not on a properly flat surface.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Line drying inside during winters is fine too, adds some desperately needed humidity.

I've spent 30 years line drying (inside and outside) and when I finally got my own place with a dryer I was so happy, simply because I could reliably wash and dry clothes in one day during the winter, and dry clothes in 30 minutes if needed.

I'll probably switch to line drying in the summer because it's better for the clothes but having both is critical to calming my logistics anxiety.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It was pretty cool to use a dryer at my parent's house but why don't they have lingerie nets and why didn't I know about them growing up? They are so good for fuzzy and/or easily tangled clothes.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

PRADA SLUT posted:

Preemptive quote from goons about how “their lives” require a massive island to store 35 baking dishes and anyone who says otherwise is a moron idiot bitch fucker.

gently caress that, when I build my goonpalace it's going to have all 40" counters because I'm tired of wrecking my lower back doing prep on short-rear end tables to accommodate all you tiny people. Islands are distinctly inferior to using a 8' block-top table as the centerpiece for your kitchen, though. You can stash rolling bins under it, and it's the perfect working surface.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 10, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

being 5'4" owns would recommend

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

:<

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jaded Burnout posted:

It definitely happens, but usually because it's a) old b) faulty or c) not on a properly flat surface.

I've spent 30 years line drying (inside and outside) and when I finally got my own place with a dryer I was so happy, simply because I could reliably wash and dry clothes in one day during the winter, and dry clothes in 30 minutes if needed.

I'll probably switch to line drying in the summer because it's better for the clothes but having both is critical to calming my logistics anxiety.

Our house was designed with to accommodate a dryer but we had them remove it and make it into more usable space.

I don't like clothes from a dryer, they aren't "crisp", they don't feel what I associate with new and unused clothes, so it's like putting on worn in clothes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I know a dude who dated a dude in college who would buy fresh clothes online in lieu of ever doing laundry. Like every few days he’d get a box with underwear or next week’s pants in it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

peanut posted:

poo poo, that's huge for my mom's side of the family. She's 4'8". I think 50% of her purchasing decisions are based on whether or not she can reach it at the store.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I know a dude who dated a dude in college who would buy fresh clothes online in lieu of ever doing laundry. Like every few days he’d get a box with underwear or next week’s pants in it.

I worked with a guy who did the same. He said it was because he was allergic to detergent, but somehow it only affected his underwear. So he'd just buy a new pack of skivvies every couple weeks or so (no way he was changing those every day)

He was kinda gross, was mid 30's and lived with his mom.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I know you've already changed it, but I couldn't help imagining a kid or maybe drunk adult rolling down that staircase straight into that murderwall.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Bloop posted:

I know you've already changed it, but I couldn't help imagining a kid or maybe drunk adult rolling down that staircase straight into that murderwall.

Love that song.

Also IIRC that would be illegal in the UK as there's a minimum distance required at the bottom of stairs, I guess for that reason.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

What's up with the kitchen island hate? Is this a 'kitchen island should be a table,' 'kitchen island shouldn't exist,' or kitchens should be designed to not need an island?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Also because it would make getting a lot of furniture up them a pain in the rear end.

bobua posted:

What's up with the kitchen island hate? Is this a 'kitchen island should be a table,' 'kitchen island shouldn't exist,' or kitchens should be designed to not need an island?

I feel like its in reference to a very specific type of island. Whenever I think of a good kitchen island it's like, a tall butcher block type of table with some shelves underneath, but then you have those goofy mcmansion ones where it's also a stovetop and a bar and a breakfast table.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 10, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

bobua posted:

The vibe I'm getting from most posters is pushback to islands as a fad or status symbol rather than a justified piece of furniture. Except for prada slut, of course, who feels like the optimum amount of furniture for a room would be a rectangle gently scored into the floor with an xacto knife.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

bobua posted:

https://otogawa-anschel.com/blog/death-to-the-kitchen-island/

This is a good summary. What I get from it is that kitchen islands are either solving a problem that doesn't exist or solving a problem that can be addressed in a better way. If you already have a U shaped kitchen, an island is a pointless annoyance.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Gotcha. My experience with islands are that my homes with large kitchens have them and are designed around them and my apartments with small kitchens don't have them and suck.

Those kitchens in the photos without islands seem to always have plenty of counterspace without cabinets above them and lookouts to social areas. Makes sense.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

canyoneer posted:

https://otogawa-anschel.com/blog/death-to-the-kitchen-island/

This is a good summary. What I get from it is that kitchen islands are either solving a problem that doesn't exist or solving a problem that can be addressed in a better way. If you already have a U shaped kitchen, an island is a pointless annoyance.

It’s also the default assumption that you get an island unless you have reason not to, as opposed to getting one if you need it. You get people awkwardly shoehorning islands into every build because they’re convinced it’s adding value.

There’s also people that don’t know the difference between an island and a peninsula and call every outcropping an “island”. I have the latter that “U shapes” my kitchen and hangs over on the opposite side for bar seating to eat at.

e: also, cramming people around an island or other work space to “socialize” while people cook is a dumb rationale (and idea)

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 10, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Get ready for the kitchen archipelago where everything even the fridge is free standing and accessible from 2 sides like a cooking classroom with real-life clutter like junk mail and empty jars full of laundry clips.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Part of my problem is I don't know anyone who obsessively upgrades their house in terms of future selling, though I did once wander into a Houzz thread where someone was agonizing over a backsplash choice between the one they personally enjoyed and the one they thought would add value for when they eventually moved, and everyone in the thread was encouraging the latter.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Part of my problem is I don't know anyone who obsessively upgrades their house in terms of future selling, though I did once wander into a Houzz thread where someone was agonizing over a backsplash choice between the one they personally enjoyed and the one they thought would add value for when they eventually moved, and everyone in the thread was encouraging the latter.

It can be very regional. Where I live we have a long and horrible housing bubble going on and the dominant economic activity is now real-estate. Every building is 99% a short-medium term financial investment that will make or break their finances, and 1% a place to live. All choices and thoughts are entirely dedicated to building equity. You only make 80k a year household but just bought a 2 million dollar house by over-leveraging your self and getting informal loans from your extended family and you absolutely need to boost that house up to 3 million over the next 5 years or you're totally hosed and will be bankrupt, so min/maxing the value of your "investment" becomes absolutely consuming.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
what a sad life where you have to pick the thing you hate over enjoying your space

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

underage at the vape shop posted:

what a sad life where you have to pick the thing you hate over enjoying your space

lifeundercapitalism.txt?

This already applies to occupations, why not just have it apply to where you live as well? If we could also turn where you live into a physical retirement account as well that would be even better.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

If you're willing to accept that homes are consumables instead of investments, then it becomes a lot easier to do whatever the gently caress makes your life better right now rather than hoarding profits for 30 years down the road.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

There's definitely an unhealthy focus on "maximizing resale value" but there's also economic factors that strongly encourage that sort of nonsense, as well.

So it's not necessarily a question of simply 'choosing to accept', I guess? :shrug:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Worse is that it has a strong chance of backfiring anyway. Whatever is on trend right now will be dated within 10 years. So if you hate, I dunno lets say interior shiplap, but you install shiplap because it's on TV then in 10 years you go to sell your house and everyone is sneering at your fake rear end shiplap wall. If you had actually gone with your preferred wall covering (granny gothic velvet wallpaper) they would still be sneering of course, but you'd have gotten 10 years of something you liked.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Well, obviously, that's why you wait until right before you're about to sell your house before you do anything to it! Live in it exactly how you bought it, whether you like it or not, for ten years, then two months before you sell, remodel to be on trend! :downs:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

hailthefish posted:

Well, obviously, that's why you wait until right before you're about to sell your house before you do anything to it! Live in it exactly how you bought it, whether you like it or not, for ten years, then two months before you sell, remodel to be on trend! :downs:

Have you been talking to the people who sold me my house? Except for them it was 60 years. And they redecorated on trend for the 50s.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BTW, does anyone else kinda like that granny gothic velvet wallpaper? No? Just me? I haven't seen it inside a house decorated in the last 40 years. Maybe that means it is due for a comeback and it will be the next big thing. Fingers crossed.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The granny who owned mine had it done in shiny wallpaper instead:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

PRADA SLUT posted:

e: also, cramming people around an island or other work space to “socialize” while people cook is a dumb rationale (and idea)

Indeed. I don’t want my guests me swear, get hot oil mist over themselves & see which one of the steaks got dropped on the way to the plate.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jaded Burnout posted:

The granny who owned mine had it done in shiny wallpaper instead:

Nice! Shiny easier to clean and won't absorb smells from the room.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

walls should be painted white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A MIRACLE posted:

walls should be painted white

Why stop with just the walls?