Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Our big ocean hermie has been wandering around and posing a lot lately and being all around rad so I'll post pics when I get a chance/remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.
Here's some EXCITING footage of two of my crabs being crabs. I will never remember to shoot videos the normal way, instead of the stupid vertical perspective. :sigh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sITvg4QlpQU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

ContraBoss posted:

Here's some EXCITING footage of two of my crabs being crabs. I will never remember to shoot videos the normal way, instead of the stupid vertical perspective. :sigh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sITvg4QlpQU

Simply riveting. That crabby seemed awfully interested in that other shell. If only we knew where the plot went next!

Is that a cockroach colony behind that tree?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BaconCopter posted:

Is that a cockroach colony behind that tree?

Looks like isopods. Why do you have a family of woodlice hanging out with your crabs?

I got a new shell for ours (shop only had one) and I've seen them inspect it every now and then, but none of them have taken to it yet. I dunno why.

Anyway here's our unnamed marine hermit that I mentioned:

This old oyster shell is its favorite place to hang out and act all cool

BONUS LIMPET:

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Woodlice are pretty good at cleaning up detritus, I will add them and springtails to some of my terrarium ant colonies.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

wow I didn't realise crabs were so rad

caught up on this thread and ready for some crabposting

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.
Yup, those are both sowbugs and pillbugs. They are really populating at this point because they seem to absolutely love it in the terrarium/crabitat. They don't clean up as much as I had originally hoped since they pretty much gnaw on the moist bark and small branches that they live among, but the springtails and nematodes certainly do wonders for that. I got rid of most of the crickets because they were eating the crab's food more than the drat crabs!

Worldshatter posted:

wow I didn't realise crabs were so rad

caught up on this thread and ready for some crabposting

Welcome!

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

LingcodKilla posted:

That’s where the neurotoxins with incredibly long life gets focused. Eating crab guts is risky.

I’m about to live in DC for 4 months. Gonna be close to the water so I hope I can crab for the locals.

If you haven't had fresh Chesapeake blue crab then there's no comparison. Blue crabs from like North Carolina and Louisiana just aren't as good. You have to be careful because some places (especially all you can eat) just ship them in from out of state farms.

There are places to crab all over, but I know a good place on the Patuxent to run a trot line, if you want some advice. My buddy and I could usually pull about 2 bushels out of there in a morning.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

AvesPKS posted:

If you haven't had fresh Chesapeake blue crab then there's no comparison. Blue crabs from like North Carolina and Louisiana just aren't as good. You have to be careful because some places (especially all you can eat) just ship them in from out of state farms.

There are places to crab all over, but I know a good place on the Patuxent to run a trot line, if you want some advice. My buddy and I could usually pull about 2 bushels out of there in a morning.

I’m gonna be staying a few miles south of Ronald Reagan. Some parks with water access in the area. I’ll ask again in a few weeks once I’m settled.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_prARi7CG4

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I'll say this: I've never seen grown men​ move so fast, as when we dropped a crab in the bottom of the boat.

naem
May 29, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

whoa is he protecting his friend?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

awwwwww :3:

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

TOP CRAB

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
got wicked drunk last night and made crab cake pizza

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

was it good?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Uh...

Well I made crab topped pizza when I had bountiful harvest.

It was delicious.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Both variants of crab pizza look loving amazing.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
crab pizza is excellent. there's no reason not to try it

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I want to eat a crab pizza

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
https://thesoundthisimagemakes.tumblr.com/post/169123227718

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/WyxhKDE.gifv

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

this gif makes me happy

I wonder if a real cat and real crab could ever become best bros and hang out and stuff

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Let Them In

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This crab inhospitality is unacceptable

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
If garlic chilli prawn pizza is good, crab must be just as good if not better

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Never tried crab pizza, but simply thinking about it makes me hungry. Gonna make one soon, because it sounds like an awesome combination.

This thread also made me realize I have to repopulate the hermite crabs in my tank. I put about two dozen in there five years ago, and I still see very small ones on a daily basis, but the overall population is no longer as strong as it used to be. Mind you, I'm super happy they managed to create offsprings in my tank, but I guess I'll have to put in some more. The two or three giant clawed methusalems that are still roaming around seem to be a bit lonely.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

I have never tried crab but it looks quite tasty, I'll have to see if I can find an opportunity to try it

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Crab is the best meat out there, you best pull up them bootstraps and wrangle yourself some.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

On tour a couple of years ago I got to try chesapeake bay blue crab

definitely the best crabe

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

Will I enjoy the crab more if I best it in hand to hand combat?

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
That's a good lookin crab, might as well call it sandy clawford eheheheheh

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Worldshatter posted:

Certainly. Last year I went 130-0 in hand to claw combat.
More if you count the ones I tossed back for being chicks or undersize cuties.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Worldshatter posted:

Of course. That's what's great about trot line crabbing. They are gnawing on a chicken neck just below the surface and you have to swoop in with​ the net before they see you and dart away. Net vs claw? Standard gladiatorial classes, I think.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

There is a place near me called Dungeness Bay.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
good crabvid:
https://www.facebook.com/NTDTelevision/videos/2834938869881538/

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Was at the edge of my seat. c'mon crab, you can make it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Good vid, but the audio being replaced by some poo poo stupid grandma's-facebook jingle is unacceptable.