Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
lol you open prize packs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Star Man posted:

lol you open prize packs

Gotta get my pack gambling some how! *scratches self nervously*

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Watching Sam Black on lands in that t8 was a painful experience. He threw both games through multiple chances to win on the spot.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Someone talk me out of this dumb but enticing idea, or tell me how to make it somewhat more passable-
Deck: GW Company to Chord

//Lands
1 Field of Ruin
7 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Horizon Canopy
2 Misty Rainforest
1 Plains
1 Tectonic Edge
2 Temple Garden
2 Verdant Catacombs
4 Windswept Heath

//Spells
4 Collected Company
4 Path to Exile
1 Worship

//Creatures
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Courser of Kruphix
2 Eternal Witness
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Noble Hierarch
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Rhonas the Indomitable
1 Scavenging Ooze
3 Tireless Tracker
4 Voice of Resurgence

//Sideboard
1 Bojuka Bog
4 Chord of Calling
4 Devoted Druid
1 Duskwatch Recruiter
4 Vizier of Remedies
1 Walking Ballista

Display deck statistics

Basically Gabriel Nassif's GW Company list posted a few days back to CFB, then boarding in the Druid-Vizier combo as necessary after game 1. Not sure how necessary Rhonas is since it's not like people are going to board in Walking Ballista hate after game 1, but it kind of fits the GW Company strategy so I left it maindeck for now. Also losing the combo hate in the normal GW Company sideboard hurts, so I left the singleton Worship in the main deck. And maybe running the Druid combo is better against other combo decks? I don't know, I've actually never played it.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Skyl3lazer posted:

Watching Sam Black on lands in that t8 was a painful experience. He threw both games through multiple chances to win on the spot.

The Gamble play was probably the most egregious. Though I'm not sure I keep a hand with no colored mana sources anyway.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is there a list of good poo poo to name with Meddling Mage in 5c Humans against the most popular archetypes?

Like assuming nothing meaningful is on the board or in the yard, you don't know anything about their hand and nothing about how they constructed their deck, what's the best thing to name with MM?

I'm kind of a noob to the format so I just name whatever I can remember or just side them out lol

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 9, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

fadam posted:

Is there a list of good poo poo to name with Meddling Mage in 5c Humans against the most popular archetypes?

Like assuming nothing meaningful is on the board or in the yard, you don't know anything about their hand and nothing about how they constructed their deck, what's the best thing to name with MM?

I'm kind of a noob to the format so I just name whatever I can remember or just side them out lol

What lands have they played? Did they fetch shock?

Do not side meddling mage out, it's a great card.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

What lands have they played? Did they fetch shock?

Do not side meddling mage out, it's a great card.

I'm certain it is, I just don't know what I'm doing with it.

How would fetch+shock change what you would name?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I'm starting to think that people suggesting oldschool price leaps are being driven by people money laundering and using magic to cash out crypto without bank paperwork might be on to something.

This is insane; I got a playset of beta LLanowar Elves for ~$20 when CoCo was spoiled. Now it's $240? That increases the value of the deck by like 50%.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

fadam posted:

If an opponent plays fetch + shock and no turn one play they are almost 100% on grixis deaths shadow.

If they go fetch shock steam vents serum visions they are possibly on grixis deaths shadow (but you would assume they would go for a watery grave instead), or storm, or blue moon

Depending on play or draw they might be on u/w control and spell snare your two drop if they leave a u/w fetch up.

If they lead with a wastes they're on eldrazi tron. If they lead with a grove of the burnwillows they are on r/g tron OR R/G eldrazi

If they lead with darksteel citadel it's affinity (also they would have several T1 plays)

if they lead with basic forest they are probably on elves. (they also would have played a T1 elf)

Your opponents T1 play can give you lots of information, even if it's just an uncracked fetch.

Edit: I mean ideally you sequence your humans so that you play a kitesail freebooter and then after that resolves you vial in a meddling mage naming a card you know they have in hand (usually a card you have trouble dealing with)

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 9, 2018

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

Fetch+shock should get you 90% of the way to figuring out what deck they’re playing, which you can use to name the card in their deck that your current hand would have the hardest time beating. That’s level 1, at least. If you’re gonna play modern, you really need to know how your deck works against a wide swath of the meta.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Okay so let's say you can puzzle together that they're playing Tron/Infect/Hollow One/Some 3c control, but other than that you're flying blind. What do you name?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Whatever spooky thing they are probably going to win with. Karn, Become Immense, Grapeshot...

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is Karn that scary against Humans? I figured Ugin was a safer name against Tron.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

fadam posted:

Is Karn that scary against Humans? I figured Ugin was a safer name against Tron.

just name whatever you didn't take away with Freebooter

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Oblivion Stone seems like the scariest thing for Humans because they can cast it through the Thalia tax easily.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

fadam posted:

Okay so let's say you can puzzle together that they're playing Tron/Infect/Hollow One/Some 3c control, but other than that you're flying blind. What do you name?

Tron: Did you look at the hand? If yes: do they have natural tron: if yes: O-stone or ugin, do they have a map in hand and no natural tron: name map

Infect: name blighted agent.

Hollow one: name hollow one.

3c control: Grixis: push/lightning bolt/damnation/cryptic
white based control: path/bolt/supreme verdict/wrath of god/cryptic

Storm G1: Grapeshot lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Karn looks scary at first for an aggro deck but definitely name Ugin or O-Stone with something like Mage or Phyrexian Revoker. I lost a match to Tron on GW Company a few weeks ago after I named Karn with Revoker and he dropped an Ugin to wipe my whole board. Not making that mistake again!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thanks lads.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Karn looks scary at first for an aggro deck but definitely name Ugin or O-Stone with something like Mage or Phyrexian Revoker. I lost a match to Tron on GW Company a few weeks ago after I named Karn with Revoker and he dropped an Ugin to wipe my whole board. Not making that mistake again!

At least you still had your revoker

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mezzanon posted:

And then they killed it with Ugin's ghostfire.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

If only it could have saved me from his Wurmcoil and double TKS. But I also didn't play all that great in that match, I just assumed that GW Company is dead to rights against Tron but I've since watched a couple streams of the deck and it's apparently a winnable matchup?

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I'm starting to think that people suggesting oldschool price leaps are being driven by people money laundering and using magic to cash out crypto without bank paperwork might be on to something.

This is insane; I got a playset of beta LLanowar Elves for ~$20 when CoCo was spoiled. Now it's $240? That increases the value of the deck by like 50%.

That's absurd. Almost as absurd as the guy I know who's been sitting on about 4% of the Alpha print run of one specific card (140 of them) for a decade and change.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

If only it could have saved me from his Wurmcoil and double TKS. But I also didn't play all that great in that match, I just assumed that GW Company is dead to rights against Tron but I've since watched a couple streams of the deck and it's apparently a winnable matchup?

I play bant spirits and I’m pretty good against traditional tron lists, but significantly less good against eldrazi tron

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

I play bant spirits and I’m pretty good against traditional tron lists, but significantly less good against eldrazi tron

Well maybe I should hurry up and finish my Spirits deck then, there was a lot of G Tron last time I went out. And I only need two Geists and a Hierarch (:negative:)

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Well maybe I should hurry up and finish my Spirits deck then, there was a lot of G Tron last time I went out. And I only need two Geists and a Hierarch (:negative:)

Your plan against tron is slam a T2 geist of st traft and then play tempo. (spell queller maps and stirrings as needed) and if they ugin on T4 just coco after the boardwipe.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Tim Raines IRL posted:

hedge fundies have been loving with legacy prices for ages to give themselves some tax breaks.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

lol i bought two playsets not even that long ago for like 20 bucks each set so i had one set i could just leave in pauper. god bless this card game for children

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Also keep your phantasmal images in against all tron decks.

I have won several games off of coco in response to an ulamog attack and image ula. Or copy a reality smasher or thought knot.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

AkumaHokoru posted:

hedge fundies have been loving with legacy prices for ages to give themselves some tax breaks.

Yup, but I do think cryptonerds are accelerating it. One finance-themed discord I sometimes lurk for no good reason has a dedicated crypto channel.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Yup, but I do think cryptonerds are accelerating it. One finance-themed discord I sometimes lurk for no good reason has a dedicated crypto channel.

Great way to launder/convert money from butts coins.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Thisuck posted:

Great way to launder/convert money from butts coins.

If I'd held on to my butts I could be playing vintage with no mortgage. Sadly, I needed a new alternator for my car when I was broke and working for a nonprofit, such is life.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Tim Raines IRL posted:

If I'd held on to my butts I could be playing vintage with no mortgage. Sadly, I needed a new alternator for my car when I was broke and working for a nonprofit, such is life.

Never regret selling your butts coins. You got really value from it, which is saying a lot considering the state of affairs now.

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!
Man I wish Lion's eye diamond was reprinted with new art. The lion and the diamond look great but but that ladies face is a deal breaker for me. Such an interesting card mechanically but at that price it needs to have art on the same level as Gaea's Cradle to be worth buying.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lieutenant Hoffman posted:

Man I wish Lion's eye diamond was reprinted with new art. The lion and the diamond look great but but that ladies face is a deal breaker for me. Such an interesting card mechanically but at that price it needs to have art on the same level as Gaea's Cradle to be worth buying.

So what you're saying is that the reserved list sucks?

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!

Ragnar34 posted:

So what you're saying is that the reserved list sucks?

Without doubt. It does add a kind of mystique to collecting old cards but it isn't needed. Alpha Bird's of Paradise is worth big money regardless of being reprinted a dozen times and the same would hold true for other old cards that people actually want. Demonic Tutor being reprinted was fantastic and may someday lead the way to taking more cards off the list. But I don't think the reserve list is going anywhere in the short term.

Lieutenant Hoffman fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 11, 2018

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Counterpoint; the old art is great and the artist is like a sweet old grandma.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Counterpoint; the old art is great and the artist is like a sweet old grandma.

Also dat mud border :discourse:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Without doubt. It does add a kind of mystique to collecting old cards but it isn't needed. Alpha Bird's of Paradise is worth big money regardless of being reprinted a dozen times and the same would hold true for other old cards that people actually want. Demonic Tutor being reprinted was fantastic and may someday lead the way to taking more cards off the list. But I don't think the reserve list is going anywhere in the short term.

I suspect they will hold reserve list reprints as a “break glass in case of emergency” type maneuver in the event interest in the game and sales take a nosedive at some point in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Thisuck posted:

Never regret selling your butts coins. You got really value from it, which is saying a lot considering the state of affairs now.

If I was going to regret stuff like this, it would start with Black Lotuses, escalate through not having taken out additional student loans to buy Google at IPO, etc. Hindsight is 20/20; I just think it's sort of funny how wrong I was in assuming that $35 was the height of the BTC arc.

I've been having entirely too much with Ponza. The dream is T2 Bloodbraid into disruption into T3 Inferno Titan, and that happens in real games a lot more often than I expected. I'm used to groaning when my opponent does t1 Urza's Mine go, now when that happens I look at my hand and think :getin:

I've gotten more bullish about mulling away hands that don't have any ramp, especially in the blind or in g2/3 against fast decks or tron, and I have won more games from 5 cards with this deck than any other deck I've ever played. Sometimes you even go to 4 and then land t2 BBE into stone rain and it's fine.

People make some weird decisions against this deck, too, as far as giving up tempo to not crack a fetch t1, or fetching basics past the point where it's useful, etc. If you have one swamp in your deck and you fetch it fast to play around blood moon... well, I have twice the stone rains as I do blood moons.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 11, 2018