Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I watched a fallen empire turn into an awakened empire in my recent unmodded 2.0.2 run. I was real curious about the fleets, and it seemed to go from about two 50k fleets (100k total) to two 100k fleets and a third fleet that was smaller, so about 250k total.

Then it disbanded its navy down to 100k and proceeded to sit around. I wasn't expecting that M Night Shamalan style twist to the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
My most recent game the war in heaven started while one large federation was at war with 3 empires who had a defense pact. The rest of the galaxy including me joined the league of non-aligned worlds, so nobody signed up for the apocalypse except God and Satan.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I've heard that the boost to maintenance costs in 2.0 has really hurt AEs because they start with more of a fleet than they can afford to maintain, so they disband a lot, and then they aren't as overwhelmingly able to crush their neighbours (even now with the CBs working) as before so they don't expand as easily.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Yeah, the changes to 2.0 seem to have mucked a lot of things up for the AI in general. The Fallen Empires awakening and promptly falling in on themselves seems to be a common occourence. AI rebellions also seem to fail rather quickly as well when they presumably run out of energy or minerals and can't sustain an attack with what they have to work with.

I've also noticed that the AI in general just seems to... stop. After an hour or two of consistent playing various things just seem to get stuck or stop reacting. Sometimes quitting and reloading fixes this, sometimes it doesn't. I think the AI and balancing may need another pass.

Another weird bug I've noticed in 2.0 is phantom combat. Two (or more) enemy fleets will show up but only one will attavk. The other will just keep flying around as usual taking damage, unable to do anything back. Ordering a fleet stuck this way to attack doesn't do anything. I've seen it happen to my fleets as well as the AI's and have no idea what causes it. Eventually the bugged fleet will be destroyed completely - as it cannot retreat from combat it's not in - or the attacking fleet will disengage for some reason. Very weird. The only solution I've had was to use the damage console command to destroy the attacking fleet so it stops cheating.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dallan Invictus posted:

I've heard that the boost to maintenance costs in 2.0 has really hurt AEs because they start with more of a fleet than they can afford to maintain, so they disband a lot, and then they aren't as overwhelmingly able to crush their neighbours (even now with the CBs working) as before so they don't expand as easily.

Yep this seem to be the general consensus. I think one of their CB's was broken too. So they wouldn't have the fleet power to feel confident to demand vassals, and then even if they won they weren't able to get vassals.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
The AI sucks too much even with Glavius + EAI + 1000% resource increase for me to continue playing this single player. Was a fun 160 hour binge.

I see another Distant Worlds play through in my future.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Garfu posted:

The AI sucks too much even with Glavius + EAI + 1000% resource increase for me to continue playing this single player. Was a fun 160 hour binge.

Same, I'm shelving Stellaris for now until they ever get better handle on the AI and general bugs that make most runs still feel like early access testing. Just had too many games become totally not-fun because the AI just shits the bed or some bug makes things figuratively unplayable. It sounds like that's wiz's top priority coming up though now that that 2.0 dust is settling.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
pretty dumb that spiritualists can't use the neutron sweep colossus, seeing as how they can be fanatical purifiers

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
The non-fanatical purifier spiritualists prefer to use the God ray to convert the other races. The fanatical purifier spiritualists would rather not even touch any planet that has had filthy xenos on it if they don't have to.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Same, I'm shelving Stellaris for now until they ever get better handle on the AI and general bugs that make most runs still feel like early access testing. Just had too many games become totally not-fun because the AI just shits the bed or some bug makes things figuratively unplayable. It sounds like that's wiz's top priority coming up though now that that 2.0 dust is settling.

There was a thread on reddit the other day where he commented that AI was a post-2.0 item they were working on. But really, I imagine they need much more screaming feedback on reddit / twitter / their forums in order to realize just how bad the AI is making the game for players right now.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Garfu posted:

Try without EAI. I've been having some actually kinda tough games with just Glavius and not EAI. Still not as good as it could be; for example, I keep capturing Citadels with no starbase modules built in them. :shrug:

Also belatedly, the empire the FE kept declaring war on repeatedly was a modded 'psychotic'-something empire.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

im bad at this game and I keep running out of minerals. ive got about 30k in fleet power and its just destroying my income

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Black Pants posted:

I grabbed the Origin Civics mod and realised something interesting: Dyson Engineers (start in a system with no hyperlanes, but you get a 25% dyson sphere and a Gateway Construction Site) and Voidborne (your species' habitability preference is set to Habitats, you can build cheap 6-space habitats that can later be upgraded, and also ships and starbase stuff is cheaper) are not mutually exclusive origin civics. So I combined that with the militant, xenophobic race I decided to try playing and set my third civic as Barbaric Despoilers. And.. basically I'm playing a marauder clan that's going to suddenly explode out into the galaxy once I get this gateway online.

I did this with an energy-and-mineral-boosting plant race, and its been insanely good. Overpowered even.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Black Pants posted:

Try without EAI. I've been having some actually kinda tough games with just Glavius and not EAI. Still not as good as it could be; for example, I keep capturing Citadels with no starbase modules built in them. :shrug:

Also belatedly, the empire the FE kept declaring war on repeatedly was a modded 'psychotic'-something empire.

I did. I tried just EAI + 1000% resources, Glavious + EAI + 1000% resources, and then just Glavious and 1000% resources and it was still a joke. And then of course the normal AI with no bonuses and normal AI 1000% resources. I tried pretty much everything over the past 3 weeks.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game and I enjoyed it quite a bit to the point where I published my first workshop mods after modding multiple games a bunch and never publishing anything. I'm just good for now until a few specific things improve. I'm sure I'll check it out again in a year with the updates and new DLCs.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 11, 2018

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Probably a dumb question, does having gates count as being adjacent to other empires? I reactivate mine, and now I've got people on the other side of the galaxy rivaling me and attacking me.

It's got me into one huge clusterfuck of a multi-front war currently. The worst is the guy on the other side of the galaxy who declared war on me, then promptly hopped through a wormhole into my neighbor's empire (who had a defensive pact with me) and started tearing through his systems to get to me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think I haven't seen a fallen/awakened empire titan in either of my last two games which would certainly make that achievement really hard to get

Gekkoh
Jan 12, 2018

Just another
Squamata Gekkota

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Another weird bug I've noticed in 2.0 is phantom combat. Two (or more) enemy fleets will show up but only one will attavk. The other will just keep flying around as usual taking damage, unable to do anything back. Ordering a fleet stuck this way to attack doesn't do anything. I've seen it happen to my fleets as well as the AI's and have no idea what causes it. Eventually the bugged fleet will be destroyed completely - as it cannot retreat from combat it's not in - or the attacking fleet will disengage for some reason. Very weird. The only solution I've had was to use the damage console command to destroy the attacking fleet so it stops cheating.

This happened to me once, and i was able to just leave the system, since my fleet wasn't actually in combat.

I saved and reloaded, and it didn't reoccur.

Gekkoh
Jan 12, 2018

Just another
Squamata Gekkota

Nemo2342 posted:

Probably a dumb question, does having gates count as being adjacent to other empires? I reactivate mine, and now I've got people on the other side of the galaxy rivaling me and attacking me.

It's got me into one huge clusterfuck of a multi-front war currently. The worst is the guy on the other side of the galaxy who declared war on me, then promptly hopped through a wormhole into my neighbor's empire (who had a defensive pact with me) and started tearing through his systems to get to me.

I'm pretty sure it does. In one recent game where I had a lot of gateways and wormholes, nearly every empire was my "neighbor" according to that map mode.

I also had a far away FE declare war on me and use a wormhole to send their fleet right into the middle of my empire while my fleet was slowboating over to them via hyperlane. They managed to take quite a few of my systems before I managed to come back.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Are Fallen Empires supposed to have Planet Cracker Colossi? Its 2300 and now 90% of the other empires in my galaxy have joined a single Federation because a Xenophobic FE that has been warring with other factions all game despite being completely cut off from the rest of the galaxy used a planet cracker:

I think its time to start a new game...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Are Fallen Empires supposed to have Planet Cracker Colossi? Its 2300 and now 90% of the other empires in my galaxy have joined a single Federation because a Xenophobic FE that has been warring with other factions all game despite being completely cut off from the rest of the galaxy used a planet cracker:

I think its time to start a new game...

Join that Federation and cruise to a sweet victory.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

NEED MORE MILK posted:

im bad at this game and I keep running out of minerals. ive got about 30k in fleet power and its just destroying my income

Spend less on ships

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Spend less on ships

No

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Psychotic Weasel posted:

This happened to me with a dimensional horror once, I could only stare dumbfounded as the fleet that I spent literal* decades building just to take it on in anticipation of heavy casualties proceeded to grind it to spacedust with absolutely no resistance.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Then use that power and take more planets. If you can.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Bloodly posted:

Yeah, there's this. And by the time you have that much fleet power floating around you should have a sector or two with a big stockpile of resources for you to pillage every so often.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Dril over people's heads in tyool

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Garfu posted:

Dril over people's heads in tyool
You can't say tyool by itself. What the hell is wrong with you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloodly posted:

who the gently caress is screaming “log off” at our homeworld. show yourself, coward, we will never log off

Gekkoh
Jan 12, 2018

Just another
Squamata Gekkota
I can't seem to find an answer for this anywhere... but will assault armies defend if they're landed on your own planet when the enemy invades?

They used to, but not sure after 2.0.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gekkoh posted:

I can't seem to find an answer for this anywhere... but will assault armies defend if they're landed on your own planet when the enemy invades?

They seem to, I've been hosed a few times when the AI lands their mega-assault-fleet on a planet and now instead of a 600 power defense it's 2000 or something insane.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gekkoh posted:

Yeah, any armies on the ground will fight. If I have iffy unrest situations after a war I'll park my armies to help take care of any rebels, too. A handfull of pissed of rebs sure don't fare too well against a few divisions of Xenomorphs.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a gestalt consciousness

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Black Pants posted:

I grabbed the Origin Civics mod and realised something interesting: Dyson Engineers (start in a system with no hyperlanes, but you get a 25% dyson sphere and a Gateway Construction Site) and Voidborne (your species' habitability preference is set to Habitats, you can build cheap 6-space habitats that can later be upgraded, and also ships and starbase stuff is cheaper) are not mutually exclusive origin civics. So I combined that with the militant, xenophobic race I decided to try playing and set my third civic as Barbaric Despoilers. And.. basically I'm playing a marauder clan that's going to suddenly explode out into the galaxy once I get this gateway online.

An update on this: I certainly did burst out onto the galaxy, grabbed an awesomely choke-pointed area, got a Cybrex ringworld and set my sights on everyone else. Which is when I noticed something odd, or rather several somethings. The first was that the first non-FE empire I came into contact with created a cascade of xeno discovery since they were in a federation already. What surprised me more was that they had a positive opinion of me. Why? 'Mutual threat.' I wondered what the hell that could be for many years. In the meantime, I discovered more empires, in a second federation. So at this point almost everyone was in one of two federations, which annoyed me because Despoiling them suddenly became more annoying.

And then I found out what this 'mutual threat' was. It was a Determined Exterminator empire, with 'Overwhelming' on all three aspects compared to me. One that had a Collossus online in 2300. And that's where that game left off.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Yall are cowards.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Black Pants posted:

An update on this: I certainly did burst out onto the galaxy, grabbed an awesomely choke-pointed area, got a Cybrex ringworld and set my sights on everyone else. Which is when I noticed something odd, or rather several somethings. The first was that the first non-FE empire I came into contact with created a cascade of xeno discovery since they were in a federation already. What surprised me more was that they had a positive opinion of me. Why? 'Mutual threat.' I wondered what the hell that could be for many years. In the meantime, I discovered more empires, in a second federation. So at this point almost everyone was in one of two federations, which annoyed me because Despoiling them suddenly became more annoying.

And then I found out what this 'mutual threat' was. It was a Determined Exterminator empire, with 'Overwhelming' on all three aspects compared to me. One that had a Collossus online in 2300. And that's where that game left off.

midgame_crisis_encounters_player_nation.txt

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
After playing exclusively Ironman for the last few patches, I still don't have any achievements...is this a known bug or what? Not using any mods, logged into my Paradox account, and the game always says "This is eligible for achievements" when staring a new game.

I really don't care that much about achievements, so I haven't really worried about it. But they're still fun, so if there's a fix I might be interested.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 11, 2018

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I got some with 2.0.2 my last mod-safe playthrough. With 2.0.* the start screen is pretty accurate about telling you whether or not a mod will block you from earning achievements now.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Even when I play unmodded iron man, it tells me I'm not eligible for achievements, so I don't know what's going on there.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Verify your game files?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
If you make a vanilla game too easy on yourself, the game won't let you get achievements. For instance if Crisis Strength or Tech Costs are below, I want to say 0.75x. So check your game settings and make sure something isn't set too be too easy.