Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
satori is the worst sister, not rating koishi a ten or something

Eeepies posted:

Loved Marisa's 'a curvy laser isn't a laser, dammit'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Borrowing Unzan for what exactly?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

leather fedora posted:

Borrowing Unzan for what exactly?

In the most recent WaHH the Myouren Temple had Unzan transform into a giant resting Buddha statue for some Buddhist holiday or another. When Reimu found she blackmailed the Buddhist crew to lent her Unzan and have him transform into a giant Shinto shrine gate or whatever so she can also gather lots of faith.

If anything, getting ranked highly by Reimu is worse for your wellbeing than being ranked lowly by her.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Reimu does basically rate people based on whether they’re of use to her or not, yeah.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ah Satori is as pure as I imagined

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Reimu must have been in an amazing mood during UFO. In any other game, someone basically useless to Reimu like Kogasa would have gotten a 2. Satori is the best pet person in the series.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Don't forget Reimu gets "free" blacksmith work from Kogasa.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Reimu basically only rated the UFO crew highly because she just blackmails(/ed) them and wants to stay in better graces so she can borrow Unzan again. Never be fooled!!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Wow Satori is a great person

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Also a group went and put the AFiEU translation onto paper

https://mangadex.org/manga/24250/touhou-bunka-shinpou-alternative-facts-in-eastern-utopia

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
curving lasers are lame as hell

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Lol at Reimu giving Yuugi the highest (still low) rating amongst the SA Crew and only due to booze.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

SmokaDustbowl posted:

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Curvy lasers are so horrible they're corrupting Nazrin's anatomy. Truly the work of the devil.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, I was never really a fan of Bomber Grape's stuff either.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
It was easy to overlook, but on the last page of the interview with doujinshi artist Hitori, they announced a presumably official Touhou comic drawn by them planned for a release this Fall.

Here's the artist's pixiv page: https://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=194211 Not sure if they're particularly popular in the western sphere, however.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Hitori does (or at least used to do) super weird and surreal comics, but I do remember thinking their art was great. Artist personality bleeds in pretty well to the official Touhou comics, so this one might be weird.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

leather fedora posted:

It was easy to overlook, but on the last page of the interview with doujinshi artist Hitori, they announced a presumably official Touhou comic drawn by them planned for a release this Fall.

Here's the artist's pixiv page: https://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=194211 Not sure if they're particularly popular in the western sphere, however.

Hell Yeah.

Hitori has this weird combination of surreal, gross out humor and touching moments that somehow works very well. He made this legendary comic (Danbooru link, can't find a hard translated version).:nws:

They already did art for Alternative Facts, though.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
It took me a moment to recognize the name and then I realized it was the author of The Yukari Larva. Whoa.

Probably one of the best authors of Touhou doujins out there, but definitely way more in the "weird/irreverant" territory compared with other artists Zun's worked with.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

leather fedora posted:

My impression was that Hitori would just be releasing a tank of their own existing doujinshi. Which is still pretty interesting as an officially published doujinshi book, but the announcement both said that the comics were already drawn and that it'd be a tank, both of which would be very unusual if it were a new series.

...I might've misread it though, I kinda skimmed that part.

Here's a picture of the announcement:

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 9, 2018

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Yeah, that's why I didn't straight-up say "a new Touhou series" since that'd deserve more than a blurb in a mook.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, even the comics in the Strange Creators magazine itself aren't "official" (there's a disclaimer basically saying that they're all non-canon) so I don't know why you'd assume this one is.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
I think the wording used in the announcement is what's confusing me.

I'm guessing it will be like those Inaba comics in they are semi-canon or something, except less so. I don't know. There's never been a self-contained commercial release of non-canon Touhou comics so it's hard to know what to expect exactly, although you do have a point with how the wording hinted it will be a collection of existing material.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

My interpretation was that it's like ZUN finally allowing people to release their fangames on Steam: it's just allowing dounjinshi writers to publish their work through official channels without his supervision. So it wouldn't even be semi-canon like Inaba, it's just a change in how Touhou fanworks get published.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
That would make sense, although there's considerably less hoopla about it compared to him allowing fan games to show up on Steam.

BTW, I remember you and some other people suggesting Reimu's "Fantasy Seal" Card should have a different name. What was it again?

leather fedora fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 10, 2018

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

leather fedora posted:

That would make sense, although there's considerably less hoopla about it compared to him allowing fan games to show up on Steam.

BTW, I remember you and some other people suggesting Reimu's "Fantasy Seal" Card should have a different name. What was it again?

Reimu's Balls

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I call it "Dream Seal" half the time because I just forget what the orthodox translation is.

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

IIRC the bigger talking point was Fantasy Nature's name being something else like Gifted Seer, and it bled into Fantasy Seal when "Musou" was brought up as being more Visions or Dreams, rather than Fantasy.

I don't like any of these names but in some senses they are more accurate than the current translations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Nook posted:

IIRC the bigger talking point was Fantasy Nature's name being something else like Gifted Seer, and it bled into Fantasy Seal when "Musou" was brought up as being more Visions or Dreams, rather than Fantasy.

I don't like any of these names but in some senses they are more accurate than the current translations.

and before fantasy nature people thought fantasy heaven

reimu's ultimate skill, Untranslatable Japanese Idiom

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's not an idiom, it's a dumb Fist of the North Star pun.

I should probably explain that, I guess. In Fist of the North Star, the ultimate technique of the main character is called Musou Tensei (無想転生). Reimu's ultimate technique is called Musou Tensei (夢想天生). ZUN basically just replaced two kanji with things that were more Touhou/Reimu themed. Any actual meaning is secondary to the pun, imo.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 11, 2018

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Someone's behind on his Apple Girlington lore it seems.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Yeah, I remember it being a pun of one of Kenshiro's moves but nothing beyond that. Thanks.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I do love though how TasoFro just drops all pretense and plays the You Wa Shock musical stinger when an opponent gets beat by Musou Tensei in the round in Soku.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wild and Horned Hermit 45.

In which we see what desperation can do to someone.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

Some quality Tenshi faces all over

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Clarste posted:

WaHH has been on an absolute roll for these latest chapters

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Getting a glitch in FMWP where after the Yuyuko boss fight, the cutscene with Yukari spawning in just hangs when Yukari's about to spawn in. Anyone else run into this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

Getting a glitch in FMWP where after the Yuyuko boss fight, the cutscene with Yukari spawning in just hangs when Yukari's about to spawn in. Anyone else run into this?

I do remember we were having some problem with the game hanging after the Yuyuko fight, although I can't recall the exact details.