Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

and lol

quote:

M.B.S. opened the conversation by threatening to cut off trade with France unless Macron stopped doing business with Iran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Sinteres posted:

a bunch of communist Kurds who are Turkey's number one enemy

What in here is supposed to make me like them less, because all three of those things are pretty cool and good?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Crazycryodude posted:

What in here is supposed to make me like them less, because all three of those things are pretty cool and good?

Everyone loves the Kurds.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
***Everyone except al-saqr and some Turks loves the kurds.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

OMG I'm reading about the city MBS wants to build, Neom, and it's like a child thought about it

quote:

Neom is to be the grandest manifestation of that vision. A city of the future, the likes of which the world has never seen—except maybe in science fiction books and movies. It is to be built from scratch on 10,231 square miles of untouched land in the northwestern region of Saudi Arabia, including territory from within the Egyptian and Jordanian borders.

It will be an independent zone, with its own regulations and social norms, created specifically to be in service of economic progress and the well-being of its citizens, in the hopes of attracting the world’s top talent and making Neom a hub of trade, innovation and creativity.

http://bigthink.com/design-for-good/saudi-arabia-is-building-a-utopian-city-to-herald-the-future-of-human-civillization

At least Brasilia was supposed to be the capital of Brazil. It's so dumb

quote:

Neom will not only become a test case for a zero-energy mega-city (with a size 33 times that of New York), but it will provide abundant opportunities for employment and investments within Saudi Arabia, attracting local and foreign money back to the country. The city’s vision is to be at the forefront of nine key economic sectors, including energy and water, biotech, advanced manufacturing, and food.

Marc Reibert of Boston Dynamics emphasized that the success of the project will depend on attracting the right talent ("dreamers" are welcome) and creating the right culture of innovation that will allow for building this technological city of the future, where all services and processes will be entirely automated, food will be grown in the desert, drones will fly in the skies, and there will be a full-scale e-government.

Of course, redeveloping an area within a city and building a city from scratch are two entirely different endeavors, especially when the ambition for the latter is to “be the most exciting, fulfilling place to live and work on the planet. A tribute to humanity’s timeless ambition, the herald of a new era and a new standard for centuries to come.”

A child.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

CrazyLoon posted:

You know, I'm still pretty certain most of what's about to happen is a whole lot of bloody macho military posturing that amounts to nothing, but I can't help but think about Bolton just signing in while several WH folks leaving at exactly the same time might not mean something really nuts is about to go down.

If so, I'm pretty certain lots of people itt will cheer on fascist animals dying...but I can't help but think how that poo poo might spiral onwards out of control if someone like Bolton keeps egging on someone like Trump on it.

Bolton would have wanted more time to get his house in order, I think. And while war with Iran would be an attraction, I doubt he wants to risk military escalation with Russia, with the probability of us killing some Russians depending on how the strikes go.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Crazycryodude posted:

There are reasons to support their autonomy/independence, but realistically putting them in charge of Syria would force them to be every bit as ruthless as Assad, because there's no way the country's Arabs would just willingly submit to Kurdish rule. They're already having problems with the Arab territory they have.

Shageletic posted:

OMG I'm reading about the city MBS wants to build, Neom, and it's like a child thought about it

"What if Dubai, but insanely huge and way more likely to be bombed?"

"Yes your highness, very brilliant. Just please don't torture me in a luxury hotel."

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 11, 2018

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Cat Mattress posted:

Supposing some FRUKUS air strikes do take place, what will be the point? Making a big pothole in a Syrian runway serves what strategic purpose exactly? It's not going to turn the tide of the war. It's not going to stop Bashar from basharing up the Syrians.

I wrote a post just a few up on this...

Hey, so he played EA Games SimCity and thought he was good to go because he heard the old Maxis one was accurate. Of course everyone neglected to mention City Skylines is actually the new hotness.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 11, 2018

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
not gonna lie, seeing all the assadists poo poo their pants over the possible strikes that may or may not happen is giving me an enormous sense of vengeance for their victims:-

https://twitter.com/Ali_Kourani/status/983855066250653697

they'll soon (if it happens) taste the fear they subjected the syrian people to.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's getting pretty late. I wonder if this thing isn't going to kick off for another day. I guess they were a little later last time, but it still kind of seems like it has to happen pretty soon if it's happening, especially if it's not just a few missiles this time.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Sinteres posted:

It's getting pretty late. I wonder if this thing isn't going to kick off for another day.

lol it's not like militaries are on workday hours they'll do whatever whenever.

I'll give it 24 -36 hours, if nothing happens after that the chances of a strike happening will be exponentially less.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

lol it's not like militaries are on workday hours they'll do whatever whenever.

I'll give it 24 -36 hours, if nothing happens after that the chances of a strike happening will be exponentially less.

I'm just assuming they'll want to start at night local time, and starting when people in the US are actually awake to hear about it is generally how these things work out too. Tomorrow's not unreasonable either way, I think everyone's just kind of anxious to see what's going to happen. I think nothing happening is basically impossible at this point though--Obama at least had the excuse that the Europeans weren't on board, but Macron and May are right there with Trump [edit: or not?]. Russia's talking tougher than they did back then, but Trump has his own reasons not to walk away looking like he caved completely to Putin, even if concern about a Russian response could (reasonably) affect how severe the strikes end up being.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 11, 2018

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/afneil/status/983823112381792256?s=19

It appears the UK isn't onboard.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Al-Saqr posted:

they'll soon (if it happens) taste the fear they subjected the syrian people to.

How erect were you when you typed this?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

thatfatkid posted:

How erect were you when you typed this?

This is a cool question for an actual Arab guy living under a regime that could turn the guns on him someday.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Grape posted:

This is a cool question for an actual Arab guy living under a regime that could turn the guns on him someday.

All he's gotta do is answer "very" and he's good to go.

*resumes the fetal position, chanting "the coalition are the good guys, they're bombing the bad guys, the coalition are the good guys, they're bombing the bad guys..."*

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The fact that trump stated a response within 24 to 75 hours, but states it hours after initial twitter response is a clock-resetting technique to give them more time.
I would say at the earliest 24 hours from now, at the latest

The US is trying to gain other countries to join its coalition before doing any sort of attack. Very different from the last time where it was solely a US Response, I'm sure Macron will be sending a few volleys of cruise missiles on behalf of the french people. And he proclaimed this prior so i'd suspect its a well known fact that he would not hesitate to follow the US similar to Tony Blair. Bolton is obviously giving Trump a massive earload, with the fact that he now wants the Homeland security advisor to quit so he can fill his own people in, I say we will see a very large scale response. No fly Zone won't be enough. This is a buildup. and a show of force to Russia, it's our time to show how real we are about keeping the ME in order. Rus

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:chanpop:

Really? Really??? I'm sure there's some Russian diplomat furiously typing up a memo in response.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 11, 2018

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Extremely cool that the poster who rambles on and on about how every party involved but the "rebels" are fascists can say they feel "an enormous sense of vengeance" in response to a coming major escalation of the war along with US (and possibly british/french) missiles being fired at "assadists" (aka the syrian army and civilians not in rebel/kurdish held areas) so that they can "taste the fear" and dweebs still rush to their defense the instant anyone questions it.

:thumbsup:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

not gonna lie, seeing all the assadists poo poo their pants over the possible strikes that may or may not happen is giving me an enormous sense of vengeance for their victims:-

https://twitter.com/Ali_Kourani/status/983855066250653697

Hell Yeah. Taste The Fear, that dude's concerned family and friends, Taste It!!! Time to Eat Lead you Assadist fucks!!! Ooh Rah

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Wanna bet that what'll happen is that the US will perform some bombings of airfields and grounded aircraft, Trump will bloviate about being a tough cool dude, the SAA will be barely effected, continue to bloodily grind down the last remaining pockets of resistance, maybe without outright using chemical weapons from now on, and the guys suddenly extremely concerned about the victims of the war in Syria will go back to not giving a poo poo?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

khwarezm posted:

Wanna bet that what'll happen is that the US will perform some bombings of airfields and grounded aircraft, Trump will bloviate about being a tough cool dude, the SAA will be barely effected, continue to bloodily grind down the last remaining pockets of resistance, maybe without outright using chemical weapons from now on, and the guys suddenly extremely concerned about the victims of the war in Syria will go back to not giving a poo poo?

You never know, Trump might demand that the attacks go right into the heart of the Damascus Four Seasons because his brain spiders tell him he can build a trump hotel there if it's knocked down.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Morzhovyye posted:

Extremely cool that the poster who rambles on and on about how every party involved but the "rebels" are fascists can say they feel "an enormous sense of vengeance" in response to a coming major escalation of the war along with US (and possibly british/french) missiles being fired at "assadists" (aka the syrian army and civilians not in rebel/kurdish held areas) so that they can "taste the fear" and dweebs still rush to their defense the instant anyone questions it.

:thumbsup:
sounds like this guys got a wee bit of a crush on the american imperial war machine hehe

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

khwarezm posted:

I don't know what else it could be. A larger response could bring Russia in, which I think France and the UK at least would be worried about.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
Russia has an extremely limited potential to project force. All of that poo poo is just posturing.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russia does not and will not respond to US strikes any more than they already do. Theyre not starting ww3 over assad. Russia will continue to collateralize assads anti terrorist activities until he ends up in a villa in Serchenko russia.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

HorrificExistence posted:

Russia has an extremely limited potential to project force. All of that poo poo is just posturing.

Well they're not invading France over this but they could shoot down aircraft.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Russia has spent way to much time and effort on Assad to tolerate anything other than a slap on the wrist regarding the chemical attack. They aren't toothless, there's lots of things they could still do to make things miserable for America and pals still.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Eurocontrol warns airlines of possible missile strikes into Syria

Pan-European air traffic control agency Eurocontrol on Tuesday warned airlines to exercise caution in the eastern Mediterranean due to the possible launch of air strikes into Syria in next 72 hours.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

lollontee posted:

I didn't say it didn't have consequences. I said. Consequences. In. Syria.

As for breaking the rules, I think we're long past the point of any of those mattering. Like, decades past. If you're afraid of Russian retaliation, you do you. I don't much care for threats myself.

So uhh, American tanks which were invited in by a democratically elected government of a country bordering Russia are an intolerable provocation which risks nuclear war, and instead these countries should be abandoned to Russian influence, but assassinating Russian allies is totally fine?

Or are your positions in one thread also carefully cordoned off from your positions in another? Much like your brain from reality?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Shageletic posted:

http://bigthink.com/design-for-good/saudi-arabia-is-building-a-utopian-city-to-herald-the-future-of-human-civillization

At least Brasilia was supposed to be the capital of Brazil. It's so dumb

A child.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's Bellingcat's analysis of the open source material, for those who care:
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/mena/2018/04/11/open-source-survey-alleged-chemical-attacks-douma-7th-april-2018/

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Shageletic posted:

and lol

quote:

M.B.S. opened the conversation by threatening to cut off trade with France unless Macron stopped doing business with Iran.
Wouldn't SA closing trade with us just encourage us to trade with Iran more to compensate? I don't get that "threat". I mean we can always start selling tanks to the Iranian instead, i think they will use their more efficiently.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
MBS isn't known for having ideas and plans deeply rooted in reality. However it seems that Macron has decided that SA and MBS are important enough allies for France that he will placate them. It does make me wonder about the French military presence in Rojava at the moment - are the French active there because of a request from MBS? Wouldn't surprise me at this point.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Goodmorning everybody.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/984022625440747520

and good luck!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
In times such as this it’s reassuring to have a super stable genius in command.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Trump sounds high on the power he has. I reckon his generals aren't too happy with him tweeting out future military operations though. It could even end up with the missile attack being cancelled.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Remember when Russia was saying there wasn't even a chemical attack in Douma? Those days are over!

https://twitter.com/AP/status/984032736385085440

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Brown Moses posted:

Remember when Russia was saying there wasn't even a chemical attack in Douma? Those days are over!

https://twitter.com/AP/status/984032736385085440

Hahahaha, perfect