Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Cutting my losses on it.

Well it's an opportunity to get a less lovely ca...

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Thinking of buying a friend's G35 sedan. He doesn't want much for it ($1500); it has a salvage title, but he's the one that caused the salvage - he rearended someone, new hood + radiator + bumper and it looks okay (kinda beat, but that's to be expected for an 03 with 200k). A/C works, but it's automatic and has as many miles as the Saturd. I know he's done basic maintenance, and it hasn't been beat on, but that many miles on an automatic is kinda scary to me. Nissan did move to a timing chain on those... right? :ohdear:

oh. Why not get something that hasn't been to the moon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Fermented Tinal posted:

Holy gently caress, you even got the bolts out. :stare:

Content for twice! I got the nose and fenders as aligned as they're gonna be:

What are those doggos waiting for?
cool Jeep

Larrymer posted:

Kind of with Larry on this one. You might feel magnificent in a car with only 100k this time. Going back to another 200kmi. model..

Dennis McClaren fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 10, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The best is searching on CL for clean title, 60k miles or less and like 3k max price. Find the grandma-est car you can and prosper.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/1995-chevy-lumina/6552024588.html

https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/d/2000-buick-lesabre/6554590890.html

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/car/6535432424.html

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/d/door-dodge-colt/6553045070.html

https://waco.craigslist.org/cto/d/1991-dodge-dynasty/6547132416.html

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 10, 2018

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Also a G35 is not going to be easy on gas or tires or anything really, when you are a delivery driver.
Maybe get an HHR? They look like they would be good for deliveries.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Larrymer posted:

The best is searching on CL for clean title, 60k miles or less and like 3k max price. Find the grandma-est car you can and prosper.

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/car/6535432424.html

drat, I want that thunderbird. Kind of want to sell my winter beater and fly down south to get something new.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Larrymer posted:

Because $$$. Also, it's easily available and comes with maintenance history since day 1. But...

blindjoe posted:

Maybe get an HHR? They look like they would be good for deliveries.

Thought about it, but can't find any in decent shape in my budget. Also, I'm primarily doing food delivery now anyway, so I don't need that much room. Even the catering orders I occasionally get fit in this car easily.

Ionry: going to check out another Ion coupe tomorrow, same year, just a base model vs my almost loaded one. Carfax shows it's been dealer maintained, but it's at a BHPH lot... and it's originally from up north. :ohdear: (FWIW, it looks like the original owner moved to TX when it was 4 yrs old). It's something I can swap my wheels and tires over to (I have 16" factory alloys with good tires, wheels just look like rear end - the one I'm looking at has 15" steelies), along with just plugging in my current stereo. I'll be losing a bunch of options (no sunroof, no fogs, no automatic headlights, no keyless entry, no power windows - adding keyless is just an alarm install away, since it does have power locks), but it's relatively low miles, looks decent, and it's priced right. I can swap over all of the common failure points from mine before scrapping it, since I've already dealt with all of them, and a few maintenance items would also be an easy swap (spark plugs and fuel filter... both have <5k, and I'm assuming anything used is running on original stuff). I can also swap over the 5 way adjustable drivers seat (the lower trim didn't get that). It has 130k vs my 203k. Carfax shows it was dealer maintained for the majority of its life, so as long as it's not rusty, I'll probably bring it home. It has working ac too. :neckbeard:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 10, 2018

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Cage posted:

drat, I want that thunderbird. Kind of want to sell my winter beater and fly down south to get something new.

Do it. Be about that MN12 life.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Because $$$. Also, it's easily available and comes with maintenance history since day 1. But...

What's your budget?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Isn't he in texas?

https://www.rbauction.com/1970-VOLKSWAGEN--4-PASSENGER-COUPE-AUTOMOBILEAUT?invId=10535176&id=ci&auction=HOUSTON-TX-2018184

:haw:

Imagine how beefy your arm would get making deliveries in a 4 speed car with 57 hp

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Do it. Be about that MN12 life.
I like the idea of owning both a really lovely and a really good version of the same motor.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

Isn't he in texas?

https://www.rbauction.com/1970-VOLKSWAGEN--4-PASSENGER-COUPE-AUTOMOBILEAUT?invId=10535176&id=ci&auction=HOUSTON-TX-2018184

:haw:

Imagine how beefy your arm would get making deliveries in a 4 speed car with 57 hp

Yeah, STR is (currently) up here in the Dallas area. Houston is 300 miles away, though.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Dennis McClaren posted:

What are those doggos waiting for?

Dogs were waiting for my dad who was on the other side of the door.

Oh no you fuckin' didn't.

E: Content (again, I know!) Started mounting parts to the fiberglass, headlights first, my 40yo buckets were barely rusty at all.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Made use of the M on the M+S tires.

She even looks pretty when she's dirty.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Powershift posted:

Goddamn. :swoon:

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

Fermented Tinal posted:

Dogs were waiting for my dad who was on the other side of the door.
Oh no you fuckin' didn't.
Sorry mate. I call all rag-tops, small SuV's, 4x4 trucks like that "jeeps" regardless of manufacturer. Just a slang I picked up from listening to hip-hop in the early 90's I think.

That's a cool Land Cruiser.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Dennis McClaren posted:

Sorry mate. I call all rag-tops, small SuV's, 4x4 trucks like that "jeeps" regardless of manufacturer. Just a slang I picked up from listening to hip-hop in the early 90's I think.

That's a cool Land Cruiser.

Was just giving you poo poo, don't worry! At least you're not like my dad, who is constantly suggesting that it needs 6 vertical bars in the grille.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Larrymer posted:

What's your budget?

Not nearly enough. ($2000)

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Why does it matter if the panel gap is off on the saturn? Throw a new fender on the stupid thing and just drive it to the grave. It still goes and stops, right? So it's fine, take the insurance money and send it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Powershift posted:

My god that thing is epic.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Powershift posted:

:iia:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

I hope you have a nice set of mirrored aviators to go with that beast.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I know its part perspective too but it really looks like that car wouldn't fit in between those two cars across the street.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Holy gently caress, tire shops here are a loving mafia, they charge over a 100 $ to put tires on if you don't buy them from them, and it still comes out cheaper than if you buy the tires directly. At least I've found a few places that will actually put the tires on quite a bit cheaper, really wish I could just rent a balancer for a few minutes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You can haggle with most tire shops btw. It’s all just labor to mount and balance, the guys are already paid by the hour, so they’re willing to deal most times.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I'm pretty sure they are sticking it to 'big internet' by charging exorbitant installation fees, and I doubt I can get anywhere close to internet prices even with exorbitant installation fees.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Got the headlights polished. The one still doesn't look great. Got new wires on one of them. I just have to loom it and make it look nice.

Going to hold off on wiring the other one until I get it rechromed. Ordered a short water pump, radiator, and electric fan. Going to move the motor forward about an inch.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 11, 2018

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

chrisgt posted:

Why does it matter if the panel gap is off on the saturn? Throw a new fender on the stupid thing and just drive it to the grave. It still goes and stops, right? So it's fine, take the insurance money and send it.

Yeah I don’t get it either. It’s still the devil you know. What $2000 car is better?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Costco will put tires you bring on your car for $10 each.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Then you can go get a hot dog or a slice of pizza for $1.50 while you wait.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Rhyno posted:

Costco will put tires you bring on your car for $10 each.

Costco is amazing for tires, just got 4 brand new 235/55R17 Bridgestone Potenza RE980 all seasons put on my wife's Subaru for under $500 out the door. Old tires disposed of, new tires mounted, balanced, filled with nitrogen, and 50,000 mile road hazard warranty. PBUC!

Fun fact, Costco also carries Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires for the cheapest price anywhere, period. So if you ever want to buy a set of God's Own Tires, hit up your local 'Co!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
$35 each to mount and balance outside tires at my local place. If you bring in mounted ones though you still pay $35 each for the balance. Same fee if you buy them there.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I have a friend with tire machines so I buy last year's tires on ebay for really cheap and mount/balance them for a small donation to the beer fridge :D
$400 shipped to my door for 265/70-16 snow tires. Absolutely can't beat that.
And hey, then I know they were loving done right!

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Huge_Midget posted:

Costco is amazing for tires, just got 4 brand new 235/55R17 Bridgestone Potenza RE980 all seasons put on my wife's Subaru for under $500 out the door. Old tires disposed of, new tires mounted, balanced, filled with nitrogen, and 50,000 mile road hazard warranty. PBUC!

Fun fact, Costco also carries Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires for the cheapest price anywhere, period. So if you ever want to buy a set of God's Own Tires, hit up your local 'Co!

Costco is amazing. I bought PSS tires there and the mounted price was a good $300-400 cheaper than the next lowest cost place in town.

Their procedure also includes hand tightening lugs with a proper torque wrench so no worries about a tire monkey going to town on your lugs with a rattle gun where 5 rat-rat-ratas are "torqued to spec"

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

chrisgt posted:

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah I don’t get it either. It’s still the devil you know. What $2000 car is better?

The front clip is pushed over a bit, and it's pulling pretty hard to one side with a really weird dead spot when the steering wheel is just a hair off center (where it'll take off in a random direction). Also, dead AC, rattling timing chain at startup (which could be a tensioner or a broken guide.. tensioner is easy, guides are an engine-out job), and gives a flashing CEL at startup + a big cloud of blue smoke if it's been sitting more than 2 days.

The entire time I've owned it, I never let it sit more than 2 days, but I noticed oil consumption is up and mileage is down. Now that it's only been started 3x since the wreck, I've had the smoke + flashing CEL (P0301) twice. It also seems like compression is uneven if it's been sitting; it sounds like it's low on compression on 1 cylinder. So I'm looking at a pretty tired engine. It's still on the original clutch too, and going by what I can see through the inspection port, there's very little left of it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 11, 2018

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Sounds like you should mess with the toe until it drives straight and run it to its grave (or you have more money). A $2000 car usually becomes a $4000 car by the end of the year.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Already had it on an alignment rack. Tie rod and control arm are bent, it's rolling on the edge of the tire. He thought it could probably take an alignment once those bent bits were replaced (but couldn't guarantee it), but the bumper, driver's side headlight, etc are visibly shifted toward the passenger side (can't even close the hood with the replacement headlight mounted), the headlight bucket won't bolt up properly (have to bend it a bit), and the passenger side corner light popped out when I barely touched it (and won't go back in - headlight is too close now) despite it not being the side that the car got hit on.

I can probably borrow a bit from family to bump that budget up a bit, which would get a reasonably decent car. Though honestly all I really care about right now is working ac, 4 cylinders, and either a timing chain, or a timing belt with proof that it's been replaced. It'd be nice to find something with keyless entry and automatic headlights again, though adding keyless entry is just a cheap alarm away if the car has power locks. If I stick to the Delta platform, I can swap my wheels/newish tires over too (I'm fully expecting anything in my price range to need tires).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 11, 2018

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I don't think I've ever picked up a car that didn't immediately need tires.

New, old, didn't matter. They were either garbage tires that were lacking in grip to the point where I couldn't stand it or they're just barely above the cords and their days are numbered.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Apart from the BMW, the last few cars i bought had tires within 1 or 2 32nds of brand new.

My $750 truck had nearly new tires that are $330 a piece.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Sat in it for the first time in years.

I know people think vehicles are getting bigger as time goes on, but an FJ45 is comparable in size to a modern full-size pickup (if regular cabs still existed). Goddamn do I look huge sitting behind that wheel though.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I tried sitting in one once, and it didn't work, but then again i also had to change the seats to move the seating position down 5 inches and back about 4 inches in my regular cab 3/4 ton to fit my giant rear end and i still look out the tippy top of the windshield.