Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Beauty and the Beast was so bad and looked so cheap. It’s infuriating to know it made so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

euphronius posted:

4 billion was a ridiculous steal.

IIRC the sale was in part motivated in anticipation of some tax loopholes being closed and companies being eager to spend huge amounts of offshore money rather than actually have to pay taxes on it in the future. Same with Microsoft buying Minecraft for $2.5 billion.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

IIRC the sale was in part motivated in anticipation of some tax loopholes being closed and companies being eager to spend huge amounts of offshore money rather than actually have to pay taxes on it in the future. Same with Microsoft buying Minecraft for $2.5 billion.

And Activision buying King (of Candy Crush fame) for over 6 billion dollars?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Brother Entropy posted:

christ that movie was totally in my blindspot then, didn't hear anyone I know who saw it or even mentioned wanting to see it

Until I saw the Honest Trailer for it yesterday I didn't even know the movie existed. And then I thought it was some weird 1st of April spoof of Moulin Rouge until I read this thread and realised this is a real movie that somehow was shown last year and made a lot of money and I never even knew.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Beauty and the Beast 2017 had some wonky action sequencing towards the end and everything in the village was weirdly off-tone, but the costume, VFX and set design was 10/10 maximum lush in a way not seen in a blockbuster since Harry Potter 4, and that was more than enough to carry the movie.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

It's not just that Last Jedi made less money (less than Black Panther, too, which nobody would believe if you said it a year ago).

wow, i can't believe that star wars made less money than [checks notes] the most successful superhero movie of all time

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gaston was also really good.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/margaret-atwood-handmaids-tale-trump-feminism-1202748535/

quote:

Variety: You attended one of the women’s marches last year. What do you make of this latest wave of activism?

Margaret Atwood: Typically, waves are waves. They hit the shore and then they recede and then they hit the shore again. How many backlashes have we been through? We used to have a race going on, to see which would win, between “1984” and “Brave New World.” It looked as if “Brave New World” had won. That turned out not to be true. Just to give you a very creepy feeling, there was an opera of “The Handmaid’s Tale” that premiered in Denmark in 2000. It started with a film reel going across the top of the stage and showing various things blowing up. And one of the things that blew up was the Twin Towers. But it hadn’t blown up yet. They did the opera again, and they had to take it out, because it was no longer in the future. Does that give you a creepy feeling?

Variety: Yes, it does.

Margaret Atwood: They didn’t get that idea from my opera, don’t worry. They got the idea from “Star Wars.”

Variety: Do you really believe that?

Margaret Atwood: Remember the first one? Two guys fly a plane in the middle of something and blow that up? The only difference is, in “Star Wars,” they get away. Right after 9/11, they hired a bunch of Hollywood screenwriters to tell them how the story might go next. Sci-fi writers are very good at this stuff, anticipating future events. They don’t all come true, but there are interesting “what if” scenarios.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWRWYYt47RI

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

If you think the Solo movie will be good then toxx for it

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What definition of "good" are we using here?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

Satisfies the cretinous, aka fans of Star Wars.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

jivjov posted:

Since there's no objective measure it would be based on the honor system

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There are objective measures of movie quality but it usually gets confused with “enjoyment” or “adherence to canon” .

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

euphronius posted:

There are objective measures of movie quality but it usually gets confused with “enjoyment” or “adherence to canon” .

You can objectively measure how a film was received in general but the "goodness" is still subjective, so everyone who toxxes will just have to be honest with themselves about whether they consider it good or not

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

euphronius posted:

4 billion was a ridiculous steal.

It really was but then again, it pretty much all went to one guy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jeb! Repetition posted:

You can objectively measure how a film was received in general but the "goodness" is still subjective, so everyone who toxxes will just have to be honest with themselves about whether they consider it good or not

Uh. No the quality of a movie is objective. If that’s what you mean by good.

If you mean good as in “did I like it?” Then yeah sure.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Solo will be available in 4k and therefore be of objectively high quality.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

euphronius posted:

Uh. No the quality of a movie is objective. If that’s what you mean by good.

If you mean good as in “did I like it?” Then yeah sure.

No I mean the quality. There's no objective way to measure that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You don’t think films have objective quality.

Really.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

You just fit the film between the callipers here, like so, and then when we tip out the ball-bearings at the end we can weigh them and know exactly how objectively good the film was.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

euphronius posted:

You don’t think films have objective quality.

Really.

I believe some films are higher or lower quality than others but I recognize this is an opinion and not a fact

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Imagine being this fixated on hating a movie, let alone one nobody has even seen yet.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Imagine being this fixated on hating a movie, let alone one nobody has even seen yet.

People are posting about it and reminding me of it and I want the optimistic minority to put their money where their mouth is

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

viral spiral posted:

It ESB made $700 million less than TFA ANH. That is disastrous by Disney's Fox's standards.

Contextually updated and adjusted for modern numbers. ESB is clearly a box failure and disappointment when compared to ANH.

ANH $1.31B
ESB $720M

How do you come off such a gigantic hit and pull in almost half the numbers? And oh wait...

TPM $778M
AOTC $477M

Seems to be some weird trend there...

Box office has a ton of factors involved beyond film quality. i.e. release window, release competition, audience excitement, word of mouth, etc..

For what it's worth, TLJ's money retention from the previous trilogy starter is at 67%. ESB had 55% and AOTC had 61%.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
All franchises/series/trilogies have diminishing returns, it's just a matter of knowing when the bottom is about to fall out. And when you're bringing in a billion+ on each film I think it's hard to argue that you're at that point yet.

Batman and Robin is a good example of knowing when to cut bait. Its not like it didn't make money, it made about 240 million. But other factors indicated that audiences were done with Batman and so they rightfully ended it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

One piece of evidence will be if Rian Johnson gets another Star Wars film. If he does that is good evidence Lucasfilm was happy with TLJ.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Teek posted:

Contextually updated and adjusted for modern numbers. ESB is clearly a box failure and disappointment when compared to ANH.

ANH $1.31B
ESB $720M

How do you come off such a gigantic hit and pull in almost half the numbers? And oh wait...

TPM $778M
AOTC $477M

Seems to be some weird trend there...

Box office has a ton of factors involved beyond film quality. i.e. release window, release competition, audience excitement, word of mouth, etc..

For what it's worth, TLJ's money retention from the previous trilogy starter is at 67%. ESB had 55% and AOTC had 61%.

Once again, TLJ's box office returns were disastrous by Disney's standards. Read.

Revenue dropped by 70% during its second weekend.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

euphronius posted:

One piece of evidence will be if Rian Johnson gets another Star Wars film. If he does that is good evidence Lucasfilm was happy with TLJ.

They announced he's doing a whole Star Wars trilogy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

viral spiral posted:

Once again, TLJ's box office returns were disastrous by Disney's standards. Read.

...which are?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I know. I was being snarky.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

viral spiral posted:

Revenue dropped by 70% during its second weekend.

Conversely, no, it's not disastrous by Disney's standards. It made over a billion dollars worldwide, and currently only 3 movies of Disney's have made more, TFA, Avengers, and Avengers 2. (Though, to be fair, Black Panther will probably pass it at this point.)

Picking out it's 2nd weekend drop doesn't really mean anything in the overall picture. It made a ton of money, and Disney wants him to make his own trilogy. There is zero reason to believe Disney is planning any course correction due to this extremely successful movie, and plenty of evidence to say they are quite happy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
And none of that means they didn't have meetings or whatever to discuss why they had that second week drop, and to try to prevent that from happening in the future. It doesn't mean they're taking it as a sign that the whole direction of the franchise has to be revamped.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Basebf555 posted:

And none of that means they didn't have meetings or whatever to discuss why they had that second week drop, and to try to prevent that from happening in the future. It doesn't mean they're taking it as a sign that the whole direction of the franchise has to be revamped.

Let us all hope that Disney's astrologers don't misread the portents.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

People are posting about it and reminding me of it and I want the optimistic minority to put their money where their mouth is

Why don't you toxx that's it's going to be bad?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm going to enjoy the movie just to spite you

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

Didn't they announce this the week of (ie before) the opening?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Ammanas posted:

Didn't they announce this the week of (ie before) the opening?

It was before the film opened; yes. I have to imagine the billion dollars TLJ raked in are making them reconsider only giving him 3 more.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Do we think Disney will mitigate this disaster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

UmOk posted:

Do we think Disney will mitigate this disaster?

disney is the disaster