Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Not a Children posted:

What's the deal you signed? Is it due over time, or immediately?

400 hours/year is well worth the price. The average person works 2080 hours a year, assuming 40 hour work weeks -- you're reducing your total time dedicated to work by around 16%, which is huge, especially if you're coming out ahead salary-wise.

To answer the question you asked, first I'm gonna need to know how substantial that pay cut is. 45 minutes a day is nothing to sneeze at, but there's definitely a limit.

From what I've heard from someone else who has left, immediately. Glancing over the company document on education I didnt see the date it comes due but its probably there.

Its actually a pay raise...it just takes 1.5 years to become so because of this big out of pocket up front expense. Its the "should I buy solar panels" problem but for a job...where the break even for the solar panels is 1.5 years and then you make money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Unless you're in your 50s and the time horizon for the rest of your career is hella short, it's a no brainer. Take the job with the ~$24k pay boost (unless I'm misunderstanding your break-even). You will be a happier person, I guarantee it or your money back*

*I will not give you money but I'm still pretty confident in this

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Not a Children posted:

Unless you're in your 50s and the time horizon for the rest of your career is hella short, it's a no brainer. Take the job with the ~$24k pay boost (unless I'm misunderstanding your break-even). You will be a happier person, I guarantee it or your money back*

*I will not give you money but I'm still pretty confident in this

I'm under 30, appreciate the thought and its probably what I'll do.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I am a better person after moving closer to work. 400hrs/yr is huge and will change your life. That's a new hobby, home reno, Etsy store, an extra beer or two every evening, etc.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've always calculated the commute cost as:
(Approx hourly wage * hours worked)/(hours worked + round trip commute)
Then I'd compare approximate hourly wages. You could probably do it yearly, too, but I'm someone who is thinking real short term all the time because I'm not established.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I vote take the job.

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
So I'm working as a systems engineer less than a year out of college at a big company. Basically, my job is to write requirements and a test plan for new features for the software/hardware that our section is responsible for. I learn about the feature from the feature architects who get the requirements from the E2E. I've been told several times that I'm "over-engineering", "over-thinking" and/or "over-analyzing" the use cases for the features. The issue I'm running into is that I feel like the feature architects are operating on a different plane or set of data all the time - they are the ones talking to E2E and are the only ones that know how the customers will be using the new features, and then they don't tell me this new info, as if it's not something I'd need to ever worry about. But how am I supposed to restrict the kinds of use cases I come up with if I don't know how the customers will be using the features? A couple times I've even come up with use cases that the feature architects hadn't thought of and I'll suggest a solution but they just shut those ideas down with "I don't think we'll ever run into that use case so don't worry about it" or even worse "if I don't understand what you're saying then our overseas team definitely won't". And I mean, maybe they're right, but drat. And you know what happens later at the design reviews? I get asked questions about those specific use cases. "Oh your customers will probably never run into those situations so don't worry about them." I can't say that. I just end up looking dumb with "GOOD F-IN QUESTION. I HADN'T CONSIDERED THAT. LET ME GET BACK TO YOU ON THAT."

/rant

So, uhhh, yeah. Any advice for a new guy that keeps running into these situations? I'm not sure if I'm just being an idiot mishandling these situations, or I'm overstepping in my job duties, or if I should just stfu and deal with it. I like the company. I get paid well. I plan to be here for at least 5+ years. But it sucks to be shot down and made to feel like an idiot for (seemingly) no good reason.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 10, 2023

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
End to end. They're the guys that work with all the other major sections to figure out which features are going to be implemented every couple months.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I would discuss it with your boss at your monthly 1-on-1 (if you have that). Bring specific examples. Approach it under the premise that you are not getting clear direction.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dangerous Mind posted:

So I'm working as a systems engineer less than a year out of college at a big company. Basically, my job is to write requirements and a test plan for new features for the software/hardware that our section is responsible for. I learn about the feature from the feature architects who get the requirements from the E2E. I've been told several times that I'm "over-engineering", "over-thinking" and/or "over-analyzing" the use cases for the features. The issue I'm running into is that I feel like the feature architects are operating on a different plane or set of data all the time - they are the ones talking to E2E and are the only ones that know how the customers will be using the new features, and then they don't tell me this new info, as if it's not something I'd need to ever worry about. But how am I supposed to restrict the kinds of use cases I come up with if I don't know how the customers will be using the features? A couple times I've even come up with use cases that the feature architects hadn't thought of and I'll suggest a solution but they just shut those ideas down with "I don't think we'll ever run into that use case so don't worry about it" or even worse "if I don't understand what you're saying then our overseas team definitely won't". And I mean, maybe they're right, but drat. And you know what happens later at the design reviews? I get asked questions about those specific use cases. "Oh your customers will probably never run into those situations so don't worry about them." I can't say that. I just end up looking dumb with "GOOD F-IN QUESTION. I HADN'T CONSIDERED THAT. LET ME GET BACK TO YOU ON THAT."

/rant

So, uhhh, yeah. Any advice for a new guy that keeps running into these situations? I'm not sure if I'm just being an idiot mishandling these situations, or I'm overstepping in my job duties, or if I should just stfu and deal with it. I like the company. I get paid well. I plan to be here for at least 5+ years. But it sucks to be shot down and made to feel like an idiot for (seemingly) no good reason.

Murphy's law states that if you dont include that use case they will definitely exclusively want to use it that way and when you dont include it the blame will fall to you for the sub par software.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
There's also a clause in Murphy's Law that Systems is going to get hosed over no matter what. As a S/W engineer, I love my Systems engineering guys/gals but holy poo poo do they get screwed over by management at my work.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 10, 2023

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

spwrozek posted:

I vote take the job.

I did. Start date is a while off, planning to give 1 month notice and wrap up the two big projects I have going to leave on good terms.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 10, 2023

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
Ha, no, still pleasantly employed. For my next features I ended up just asking to see the HW/SW product unofficial documentation, so I can see the expected use cases as they're being written by the architect. Which is nice. I can't share it with anyone but it's nice that I'm trusted enough to just read it for myself. So now I can structure my test plan around that. Lots of time saved.

I also created a nice looking excel spreadsheet where I document lots of different little things for each test plan I create, as well as each meeting I have per feature. It helps me with documenting changes and special requirements so I don't overlook anything.

Dangerous Mind fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 31, 2018

Dangerous Mind
Apr 20, 2011

math is magical
Also, I'll definitely see how things go over the next 6 months or so before I ever involve management. Literally every single person is 2-7 pay grades above me so it's not an issue worth fighting. I'll just stick with my spreadsheet for the foreseeable future. :tif:

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

I don’t know your position, but I wouldn’t hesitate before getting feedback from at least your first line supervisor. An organization that doesn’t encourage regular azimuth checks seems a bit defective.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Hopefully i will recieve an offer tomorrow, in the exciting field of valve manufacturing. When i first heard about the opportunity from the recruiter i was pretty meh about it. Turns out valves and making them can actually (i hope but i think it will be) be intellectually stimulating. I wanted to go in to sexy aerospace foundry work, but it seems Like a good opportunity to develop some bad rear end high level heavy as gently caress industry skills.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
valves are pretty neat. I worked at a pneumatics manufacturer for awhile and it was cool technology. They made tons of valves of all sorts and also designed/assembled basically air powered PLCs for factories that can't/don't want any sort of voltage.

There's also the manufacturing aspect of them that's pretty involved too, real big capital equipment stuff: multi barrel lathes, sorting equipment, etc. and the tolerances on everything can be pretty tight.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

What would Data Engineering for the (Canadian) Department of National Defense be like?

I've always been under the impression that it would be kind of dry?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm taking a poll: what percentage pay bump have you received for promotions over the course of your careers? I'm thinking like "Engineer" to "Senior Engineer". Or "Engineer I" to "Engineer II", etc.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

spf3million posted:

I'm taking a poll: what percentage pay bump have you received for promotions over the course of your careers? I'm thinking like "Engineer" to "Senior Engineer". Or "Engineer I" to "Engineer II", etc.

My promotion to "associate engineer" at my current company netted a flat $2/hr (6%ish at the time). I got the same for my non-standard raises for acquiring important certifications (basically every time I got something that changed what I can list after my name on my card).

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

spf3million posted:

2 to 6% so far.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Pander posted:

2 to 6% so far.

I got a 30% going from Engineer to Senior. But that was because I left my company I joined as a graduate. Then another 30% when I went back as an Engineer to another company.

Oil’s weird. v0v

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

spf3million posted:

Going from electronics engineer 2-> 3 was a 12% when combined with the yearly raise.

Got a 20% raise going from a 3->3 by switching jobs.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Went from Engineer to Senior while switching employers and locations and got a 50% bump.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't specify but I was mainly interested in promos within the same company.

I'll add my data point: just got the offer for Eng -> Senior Eng for 6% more pay (chemical/process engineering). Little lower than what I was hoping for, we'll see if they're willing to play ball at the negotiating table tomorrow morning.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Maybe not too informative to your situation but I got 10% going from Field Engineer B to Supervising Engineer. Probably a little bit of a lowball (for a brief period before a qualification-based raise kicked in, I had a direct report making more than me) but I’m also relatively young for the position. Plus the title is kind of a joke, the extra responsibilities are very minimal.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

20% engineer 1 to 2, changed companies
10% engineer 2 to 3, same company
10% engineer to manager, same company

Bonus went from 0% to 8% to 10% to 15%

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

spf3million posted:

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't specify but I was mainly interested in promos within the same company.

I'll add my data point: just got the offer for Eng -> Senior Eng for 6% more pay (chemical/process engineering). Little lower than what I was hoping for, we'll see if they're willing to play ball at the negotiating table tomorrow morning.

Eng -> Senior Eng for me was 17% after getting a 7% performance raise a few months prior. It was a good year.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I gotta mention though if youre over penetrated 6% may be a great raise and if youre way underpaid a 12% raise won't help that.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

CarForumPoster posted:

I gotta mention though if youre over penetrated 6% may be a great raise and if youre way underpaid a 12% raise won't help that.

This is a good point. I was really high for my company as a level 3 engineer so my jump to management wasn't as good as "normal". But for 31 I really can't complain about my income and responsibility.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Molybdenum posted:

valves are pretty neat. I worked at a pneumatics manufacturer for awhile and it was cool technology. They made tons of valves of all sorts and also designed/assembled basically air powered PLCs for factories that can't/don't want any sort of voltage.

There's also the manufacturing aspect of them that's pretty involved too, real big capital equipment stuff: multi barrel lathes, sorting equipment, etc. and the tolerances on everything can be pretty tight.

Festo fuckin rules, :yeah:

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
My bumps 1 -> 2 -> 3 were all 6% on top of my usual performance bonus. Still getting underpaid but the work/life balance is great and my coworkers are cool so whatever.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I've only been promoted once (2 -> 3 on a typical 1-6 scale) and I received like 6% at the actual promo, but then I got a ~15% (5% ranking, 10% discretionary) at performance review because I was stuck in a rotational program for 2 years prior and they wanted to recognize my contributions better.

And as other people mentioned, if it is a decent sized company everything is a loving bell curve, so if you were high in the prior level you may begin to overlap with the bottom tail of the new level and therefore on paper it is not much at first, but good performance would "accelerate" you towards the higher mean of the new level.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
8-10% on average.

Engineer I - Engineer II - Engineer III....

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Sunny Side Up fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 14, 2020

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
It's license renewal month here in NJ and I am getting cold-called by every single vendor of PDHs in the country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Has anyone gotten involved in any position involving data management?

Currently interviewing for a job in controls integration that also is trying to develop competency in “contextualizing data”. I’ve only been tangentially related to data systems and have no frame of reference on if it is an area worth considering. It makes me wary the same way IoT does in job descriptions.