Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Calling this tragedy "one that hit's closer to home" than the thousands of native women in Canada being killed without anyone in a position of power even pretending to give a poo poo is pretty telling. It's pretty much a straight up admission that poor and/or nonwhite people genuinely do not matter at all, especially compared to rich white people.

Not particularly surprising in itself, but it is funny to see people so clearly admit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

"I'm trying to not get cynical about what is a totally devastating tragedy but the maleness, the youthfulness and the whiteness of the victims are, of course, playing a significant role."

The extremely visceral reaction this fairly concise tweet got is amazing to me and makes me want to deconstruct it because it's almost like every single word of it is designed to piss people off.

"I'm trying to not get cynical". She's trying. It's taking effort to subdue the cynicism. She's feeling cynical and trying to hold it back. She is feeling cynical but trying not to. "I'm cynical"

"what is a totally devastating tragedy but". That's insincere. No totally devastating tragedy ever has a but. The holocaust was a totally devastating tragedy but X. There is literally no good X. It's a terrible way to phrase whatever is going to follow.

and then it kicks into high gear

"the maleness" Here we go. Inferring that they're going to grow up to be rapists. If it was a busload of middle class female hockey players, we all know the reaction would be the same. The author would be less cynical if the victims were female.

"the youthfullness" This doesn't even make sense. The biotruth is that our species collectively feels more empathy for young people especially babies and toddlers but we still see all that potential until they turn about 20. This really just makes the author seem hateful, like she's trying to justify her cynicism that'd be there no matter what.

"the whiteness" throw in some latent skin color observations. Those three things though, they invalidate the legitimate sadness that a lot of people are feeling. The sadness is only because of the skin color, genitals and years around the sun, all things completely out of the dead kids control. Accusing them of white privilege beyond the grave.

"of the victims" not "the kids" or teenagers or young people. The most dehumanizing phrase, "the victims"

"are, of course, " when you need to, of course, add a giant pretentious fart sniff to your sentence

"playing a significant role" the coup. does she mean that all that stuff is playing a significant role in her losing the battle to control her own cynicism or is it playing a role in the public's reaction to it. Either way, it's terrible, a significant role. Not a minor role but that's what's driving it.

As somebody who occasionally gets accused of trolling, my hat is off. So perfect and concise.

Someone is very very mad about a woman having an opinion.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ChairMaster posted:

Calling this tragedy "one that hit's closer to home" than the thousands of native women in Canada being killed without anyone in a position of power even pretending to give a poo poo is pretty telling. It's pretty much a straight up admission that poor and/or nonwhite people genuinely do not matter at all, especially compared to rich white people.

Not particularly surprising in itself, but it is funny to see people so clearly admit it.

What is your smug, cynical rear end doing posting on the Something Awful forums instead of setting up a gofundme for First Nations communities, you stupid great moron?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ChairMaster posted:

This is the best post you’ve ever made.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
lol u mad

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

Someone is very very mad about a woman having an opinion.

They should try what I do and never assume anybody's gender so they can just be mad at their opinion.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

RBC posted:

lol u mad

Bold play, let's see if it pays off.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

They should try what I do and never assume anybody's gender so they can just be mad at their opinion.

This would work, except you used "she" instead of "they" in the OP

E: Sorry, I should give you the benefit of the doubt, it wouldn't do to infer anything about the maleness of your posting.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 11, 2018

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Wow people get more sad when bad things happen to people who are closer to their location, cultural identity and socio-economic status than to people further off, whoda thunk it.

It's worth examining biases but feeling smug because the average person is more empathetic to people in closer social relation to them than others doesn't get you very far because that's probably something that's gonna hold for the rest of humanity's existence.

Having Canada care about indigenous communities would be kinda nice tho.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
by pointing it out when it happens it should force people to reflect on why they don't care so much about other awful things. it's not about feeling smug

when people get mad about this, it's usually because they know it's true

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"Now is not the time to discuss politics right after a tragedy."

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I just can't wait for "The sweet hereafter 2: Sticks out"

overboard
Aug 26, 2009
I wouldn’t even mind if “equal” tragedies closer to home got more attention (yeah it’s lovely to rank tragedies). It bothers me more that broader local issues like MMIW (which have more tangible solutions than a bus crash) or overseas tragedies we are complicit in (and could conceivably work to stop, e.g. by not selling “trucks”) get far less attention or empathy.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

CRISPYBABY posted:

Wow people get more sad when bad things happen to people who are closer to their location, cultural identity and socio-economic status than to people further off, whoda thunk it.

It's worth examining biases but feeling smug because the average person is more empathetic to people in closer social relation to them than others doesn't get you very far because that's probably something that's gonna hold for the rest of humanity's existence.

Having Canada care about indigenous communities would be kinda nice tho.

There have been plenty of well attended and effective social movements like the anti-apartheid folks or the protests against various colonial wars, maybe most notably Vietnam if we're talking in a North American context. These movements didn't necessarily represent the majority will but they spoke for large segments of the population and were composed of people who were willing to put item and energy and in some cases to risk their careers or bodies in the service of a cause largely or exclusively focused on the welfare of people who weren't like them.

The fact contemporary society lacks any kind of empathy for foreigners, the poor or the various racialized groups of people (perhaps most conspicuously natives) who are quietly or not so quietly assumed to deserve their lovely lives is not the reflection of some timeless truth about human beings. It's a reflection or our lovely society and the politics and media that are the natural outgrowth of our lovely society. The rather blatant racism that leads us to treat different domestic tragedies very differently depending on who is effected is not some unchangeable biotruth that we can let ourselves off the hook for.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

overboard posted:

I wouldn’t even mind if “equal” tragedies closer to home got more attention (yeah it’s lovely to rank tragedies). It bothers me more that broader local issues like MMIW (which have more tangible solutions than a bus crash) or overseas tragedies we are complicit in (and could conceivably work to stop, e.g. by not selling “trucks”) get far less attention or empathy.

No, no. A bus crash has a far more tangible solution: the police can feel like heroes for doing something. In MMIWG the police have to accept they did something wrong and that is not tangible at all.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

DariusLikewise posted:

This is Nora Loretos full twitter post, I don't think there's anything wrong with someone saying "I wish all tragedies were treated the same way in this country"

https://twitter.com/NoLore/status/983159695648215040

https://twitter.com/NoLore/status/983159952264003584

https://twitter.com/NoLore/status/983160141309767684

https://twitter.com/NoLore/status/983323694398361601

White people are so fragile they feel victimized when people suggest that other people treated equal to them

Of course it's a tragedy. You'd be a moron not to think it's a tragedy. You'd be a moron to think Nora Loreto doesn't think it's a tragedy. It's not some kind of tragedy contest. You can feel bad about several things at once, trust me

xtal fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 11, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It's not a tragedy because I'm THAT goddamn annoying person with an English degree who still cares about the original meaning of tragedy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Prescriptivists out

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Arivia posted:

It's not a tragedy because I'm THAT goddamn annoying person with an English degree who still cares about the original meaning of tragedy.

Don't doxx me

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Plus people don't want to be called racists, even if it is a low-key unconscious racism. The likely answer is that most people are not aware of the horrible things that happen to people outside of their circle or lifestyle so they don't think about it. I like to think that most people on an individual level are nice to each other but group mentality and demographic isolation are the root causes for understated racism through ignorance.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'd say taking that single tweet out of the context of the thread it was in also makes it seem worse than it actually was. If it was just that tweet, it's really tone-deaf even if it's not wrong, but in the context of all the other tweets before and after it, it makes total sense.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

I'd say taking that single tweet out of the context of the thread it was in also makes it seem worse than it actually was. If it was just that tweet, it's really tone-deaf even if it's not wrong, but in the context of all the other tweets before and after it, it makes total sense.

Are you suggesting that some unnamed posters may have deliberately taken a statement out of context in order to justify an outraged response that would otherwise be inappropriate?

That's very cynical of you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

infernal machines posted:

Are you suggesting that some unnamed posters may have deliberately taken a statement out of context in order to justify an outraged response that would otherwise be inappropriate?

That's very cynical of you.

Yes, I would say that happened. And I fell for it, I'll admit :saddowns:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Well, regardless of the personal magnitude of this unfortunate event, it's heartening to see salt of the earth old-stock Canadians pulling their sticks out in solidarity.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Winnipeg is getting a fairly large urban reserve

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/ottawa-treaty-1-chiefs-sign-kapyong-deal-urban-reserve-planned-for-site-479415183.html

quote:

Through the smoke of burning sage and sweetgrass the future of the Kapyong Barracks site in south Winnipeg became a little clearer Wednesday morning.

Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr (Winnipeg South Centre) — Manitoba's lone member of cabinet — and Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan gathered with 10 First Nations Chiefs and Grand Chiefs at Assiniboia Downs to announce the signing of the agreement in principle.

While concrete details on what will replace the degrading buildings currently on the former CFB Winnipeg land remains up in the air, it has been confirmed the site will be redeveloped as an urban reserve.

In his opening remarks, Long Plains First Nation Chief Dennis Meeches, who serves as a spokesman for the Treaty 1 chiefs set to inherit the land, said the new urban reserve would be a "game changer for Winnipeg."

Sagkeeng First Nation Chief Derrick Henderson agreed, offering reassurances to Kapyong's neighbours.

"Some people get the wrong idea of what we want to do with an urban reserve," Henderson said. "We want to show the citizens of Winnipeg that we can be progressive in the right way. We're not going anywhere, we will always be here as Indigenous peoples."

"We will leave a future for our young people. I want to thank the government of Canada for recognizing Treaty 1 territory."

The deal marks the first public signs of progress since troops decamped for Shilo in 2004, but Wednesday's announcement was short on specifics.

"To our non-Indigenous brothers and sisters: don't be afraid of urban reserves.... We have over 100 urban reserves in Saskatchewan and they create opportunities and jobs," Assembly of First Nations National Chief Perry Bellegarde said.

"This is a good thing, and I wanted to be here to bear witness to this. This is the tough work of reconciliation and it's what we have to do to provide hope to our little ones."

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Arcsquad12 posted:

This isn't a case of whataboutism. It's about disproportionate displays of empathy towards tragedies. Nobody is saying that the Humboldt hockey vigil should not happen, they are looking at the factors involved that have made this tragedy such high profile while others go unnoticed. You're not seeing a massive fundraising campaign for that bus of dead schoolchildren that just died a few days ago overseas.

This is exactly the issue, and it applies even to incidents within Canada. There was a van/truck crash in Hampstead, Ontario that killed 11 people in 2012, and there were no GoFundMe's or hashtag campaigns about that because the victims were migrant workers instead of white hockey players.

Nora Loreto is absolutely correct.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

In the wake of the Parkland massacre, there was similar criticism aimed at the student activists and some of the media, basically that they're only getting a whole bunch of attention because they're rich and white. And then the student activists took the criticism to heart and at least tried, with varying degrees of success, to amplify the voices of PoC who had been working for the same causes, and they've been trying to draw more attention to the ways in which gun violence disproportionately affects communities of colour.

It would be nice to see something similar happen in this case.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well someone just died on the 401 today and the crash caused a huge pileup. Might as well start there.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I wonder if the Saskatchewan government will do anything about that intersection where the bus was hit. Early indications would be that the semi-driver was staring directly into the sun and was confused by the general layout of the intersection. It's also an incredibly dangerous intersection and something should have been done 10 years ago.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

its a shame that the hilarious "Sticks Out For Humboldt" got upstaged by all that white fragility

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I feel like a very ugly side of this city is about to come front and centre in response to this and I’m not looking forward to it

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

I feel like a very ugly side of this city is about to come front and centre in response to this and I’m not looking forward to it

I'm looking forward to it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also talking about the differences between tragedies is laudable but also just a step above throwing more “thoughts and prayers” into the pile unless initiative is taken beyond that

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

littleorv posted:

I'm looking forward to it

You’re looking forward to Winnipeggers being racist shitheads about it?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

You’re looking forward to Winnipeggers being racist shitheads about it?

Yes

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Someone at the Free Press already deleted the comment but I had it copied already

I hope this doesn't get delayed, urban reverses have excellent outcomes and are great for community building

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

What is your smug, cynical rear end doing posting on the Something Awful forums instead of setting up a gofundme for First Nations communities, you stupid great moron?

"If poor people want anything done to help the victims that nobody gives a poo poo about because they're not rich and white, they should just raise millions of dollars to fix their problems, it's not my fault they're too stupid to realize what a simple solution it is!"

Canada in a nutshell, I guess. I wonder how many rich people even understand that being poor means you have no money?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ChairMaster posted:

"If poor people want anything done to help the victims that nobody gives a poo poo about because they're not rich and white, they should just raise millions of dollars to fix their problems, it's not my fault they're too stupid to realize what a simple solution it is!"

Canada in a nutshell, I guess. I wonder how many rich people even understand that being poor means you have no money?

No, seriously, why not pick a specific First Nations community that has significant problems and a chronic lack of funding, and start a GoFundMe to help them address to those problems? That doesn't cost you money. You don't have to be rich. Spread the word far and wide on social media, friend. Spend not a second more of your time posting on this dead gay forum until you've reached your goal.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Pls give my reserve money tyia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

littleorv posted:

Pls give my reserve money tyia

Let's actually do this. Is there a more effective way than GoFundMe to get started? Is there one already set up?