Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

2 months is a lot of time for something like this. The only problem is that viable GOPers in the state know that 2018 is going to be brutal for the GOP and that they'd have an uphill battle instead of an easy win in November.

As a state politician you don't get a lot of chances to run for an open seat in a Republican district, they'll get people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Boon posted:

Holy poo poo, the code....

:lol:

that's so mean

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

why was this information released as a diablo legendary item?

The subpoenas better make that wonderful sound when they are served.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the gop slogan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHJg6nJbL-k

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Alter Ego posted:

She didn't praise him. She called him an avid advocate for his point of view.

" Pelosi's brief statement describes Ryan as an "avid advocate for his point of view and for the people of his district." And she commends him for his "steadfast commitment to our country." "

The headline is "Pelosi Praises Ryan, Hopes He Will Work With Democrats"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

" Pelosi's brief statement describes Ryan as an "avid advocate for his point of view and for the people of his district." And she commends him for his "steadfast commitment to our country." "

Pelosi is terrible at writing headlines.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Boon posted:

Holy poo poo, the code....

hahaha holy poo poo who did this? :perfect:

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Weaponized whataboutism.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

cochise posted:

:lol:

that's so mean

But fair. That woman earned that one.

-----

It has been argued in here whether Carly Rae Jepsen is better than Taylor Swift. That's a valid argument and worthy of discussion, on many fronts - but now, on this lol of a day, I present incontrovertible evidence: The reason that CRJ is better than Swift is simply..... TOM HANKS. Jam out before we start blowing stuff up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV5lzRHrGeg

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 11, 2018

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

negativeneil posted:

I lurk this thread but I'm chiming in to say that I know this kid. When I was in college I helped run a summer camp for nerdy kids who wanted to learn programming/web/etc. He was one of our students. At the time he went by Henry, not Hank. Some of his YouTube stuff references Henry but I guess he goes by Hank now. I remember him very distinctly because he has a pretty unique mode of speech (check his Youtube stuff to hear what I'm talking about) and because even then when he was 14-15, he was OBSESSED with gun culture, military culture, and basically wouldn't shut up about joining the military as soon as he's 18 so he can go shoot terrorists. He complained about his dad a lot and I remember specifically that he loved talking about Generation Kill and how cool it was. I don't think he grasped any of that show being critical of the war or showing the human toll. It was just a cool show about killing browns. This kid drove me NUTS for the two weeks I had him and it was clear that there was something developmentally off about him, but he wasn't on meds and no one gave me any sort of disclosure about special needs (parents with special needs kids almost always pulled me aside if I needed to know something before they dropped them off). I remember being dead set on pulling his parents aside when camp was over to tell them their kid was scary as hell.

With those problem kids I was always so curious about meeting their parents at the end of their stay because usually 5-10 min with the parents went a long way in explaining what the gently caress was wrong with their kids. End of camp came and his parents never picked him up; it was his grandparents that showed, didn't have strong English skills. Whatever plan I had in sitting them down and talking to them about Henry went out the window. I don't think he lived with his parents, and that explained a lot about Henry.

I saw him go viral a few weeks ago with the cringey Dixie stuff and all this came rushing back. I really hope he gets some help because it's clear from his YouTube content that what used to be an obsession with killing Arabs has mutated into an obsession with Black Lives Matter and domestic enemies.

This was a good read. I appreciate it.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Boon posted:

Thread, in light of Ryan's time coming to an end, I've made a helpful and badly laid out flowchart for how to feel about these things.

Not done in BPMN Primitives format, not acceptable to DoD standards

(also, :five:)

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

OK, so rather than Nancy Pelosi issuing a bland, generic statement, you think that her going "No comment" and having our idiot media write process stories for three days about her "snub" of Paul Ryan is the preferential outcome?

This keeps the story where it should be--on Ryan bailing because he's a loving coward. Pelosi did what she had to do in order to not change the story. You want to hate her for that, fine--but that doesn't make you right.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/ryanlizza/status/984113589572251648?s=21

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So not even joking. Our air raid/tornado sirens just went off here in MI, and for the first time in my life the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

(I quickly realized it was a drill like normal, but for the first time I thought it could be real)

Trump has brought the feelings of the Cold War to a new generation! :downsbravo:

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

OK, so rather than Nancy Pelosi issuing a bland, generic statement, you think that her going "No comment" and having our idiot media write process stories for three days about her "snub" of Paul Ryan is the preferential outcome?

This keeps the story where it should be--on Ryan bailing because he's a loving coward. Pelosi did what she had to do in order to not change the story. You want to hate her for that, fine--but that doesn't make you right.

she probably could have left out the whole 'i commend his steadfast commitment to our country' bit or rephrased it into something that wasnt, i dunno, praise. yes.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

No see, if Pelosi had just said what I personally would have said, then the whole media would have gone "oh damnnnn Republicans really are horrible!!!"

If this isn't true...why that might mean the world is a worse and more complex place than I imagined, so obviously it isn't and instead no one knows how to politics as well as I, poster on the internet.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Alter Ego posted:

She didn't praise him. She called him an avid advocate for his point of view.

Yeah I'm not big on the :decorum: normally but in this case she is staying out of the way and letting the rest of the media go at him, which is probably the correct choice because anything more forceful will focus the attention on her.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

TulliusCicero posted:

So not even joking. Our air raid/tornado sirens just went off here in MI, and for the first time in my life the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

(I quickly realized it was a drill like normal, but for the first time I thought it could be real)

Trump has brought the feelings of the Cold War to a new generation! :downsbravo:

Our monthly test in IL is 10am on the first Tuesday of every month, and poo poo if I don't freak out for just a few seconds every month before I check the day/time.

e: Since Trump was elected, I mean.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

Unzip and Attack posted:

By help I hope you mean prison because he's obviously moved from the "crazy but harmless" territory into the "actively planning a massacre" phase of the right wing terrorist Choose Your Own Adventure.

I don't think our prison system is going to rehabilitate Henry, but I'd rather him be in prison than a ticking time bomb.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
I am one of the first people to lead the charge against the idiocy of :decorum: (also I have been massively critical of Pelosi in particular for years)- but y'all attacking her for that press release are tilting at windmills. That press release was actually throwing about as much shade as Pelosi could under the circumstances, and really was about the best move she could have made in this particular situation.

There are a million things to get rightfully furious at Pelosi over, but this really isn't one of them.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
If you watch any interview with a GOP congressman right now they will all shoehorn Pelosi into the discussion. It's a part of their talking points.

Now imagine a world in which Pelosi released a statement that was truly abrasive or arrogant/gloating and keep in mind that the GOP interviewees are not talking to you, but rather the idiots comprising the 10-15% that waffle between Trump's approval numbers or "have no opinion" but are just looking for a reason to hate on Pelosi but do not currently intend to vote, etc...

Alter Ego posted:

Her office was one of the first ones that media outlets reached out to for comment. Whatever she said was going to set the tone for how everyone else responded, and like it or not, could determine whether or not the story remains "Paul Ryan leaping off sinking ship" or becomes "Nancy Pelosi denigrates Paul Ryan's record in Congress".

Also a great point.

Boon fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 11, 2018

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah I'm not big on the :decorum: normally but in this case she is staying out of the way and letting the rest of the media go at him, which is probably the correct choice because anything more forceful will focus the attention on her.

Her office was one of the first ones that media outlets reached out to for comment. Whatever she said was going to set the tone for how everyone else responded, and like it or not, could determine whether or not the story remains "Paul Ryan leaping off sinking ship" or becomes "Nancy Pelosi denigrates Paul Ryan's record in Congress".

She did what she needed to do to ensure that the story remained the former, not the latter. I don't envy her that job. I'm sure she dislikes Ryan, but if you think there's any job in politics where you don't have to tell white lies to make life easier, I have some beachfront property in Kansas to sell you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Might as well... but won’t. Back to your shame hole, anonymous troglodyte! Back to your private hell of conscience. Your meaningless noise was appreciated, but unnecessary.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Boon posted:

If you watch any interview with a GOP congressman right now they will all shoehorn Pelosi into the discussion. It's a part of their talking points.

Now imagine a world in which Pelosi released a statement that was truly abrasive or arrogant/gloating and keep in mind that the GOP interviewees are not talking to you, but rather the idiots comprising the 10-15% that waffle between Trump's approval numbers or "have no opinion" but are just looking for a reason to hate on Pelosi but do not currently intend to vote, etc...

yeah everyone hates trump, the only thing they got done is an unpopular tax bill, and they failed on their prime campaign promise for the last decade

literally the only thing they have left is running on scaring their base about pelosi, the less visible she is the better because while she's a great head of the caucus she is not an electoral advantage

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Johnny Bravo posted:

she probably could have left out the whole 'i commend his steadfast commitment to our country' bit or rephrased it into something that wasnt, i dunno, praise. yes.

owns that nobody is getting this.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/984104063490056196

lol more republican seats are "lean dem" than democratic seats are

No NY-25? Is it just too early for that, or do they judge it safe?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Looks like people are starting to look at some of the other Russian dissidents and whistleblowers who "mysteriously died" and totally weren't murdered by Russia and hastily covered up

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/984115377495007232

I still can't believe that loving Buzzfeed is doing some of the best investigative journalism on the topic

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Might as well... but won’t. Back to your shame hole, anonymous troglodyte! Back to your private hell of conscience. Your meaningless noise was appreciated, but unnecessary.

Yeah. Put this right up there with Jeff Flake's "impassioned" speech on the Senate floor and Ben Sasse's constant Tweets of concern.

Call me when they loving do something about it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

OddObserver posted:

No NY-25? Is it just too early for that, or do they judge it safe?

If it's not on there, they judge it safe D or safe R. But that can change.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I can't even tell any more. Are we genuinely missing the obvious backhandedness of "Avid advocate for his point of view" being inserted into the boilerplate, or are we just doing a bit? We get how unusual "No Comment" would be for someone in Nancy's position, yeah?

Also, Dems suck at messaging and clearly should be rushing to interrupt the narrative of how bad this is for Republicans rather than letting every media outlet focus on that.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

owns that nobody is getting this.

Because you are nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking, maybe?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nope.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Johnny Bravo posted:

What happened because she did that

What negative thing did this cause

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alter Ego posted:

Yeah. Put this right up there with Jeff Flake's "impassioned" speech on the Senate floor and Ben Sasse's constant Tweets of concern.

Call me when they loving do something about it.

the only thing I thought was interesting in there was the congressman noting that people's calculus changes after the primaries are over: basically that if trump wants to fire mueller he is best doing it before primary filing deadlines are over or primaries themselves are over

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

What happened because she did that

What negative thing did this cause

a lot of bad posting

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Trabisnikof posted:

No see, if Pelosi had just said what I personally would have said, then the whole media would have gone "oh damnnnn Republicans really are horrible!!!"

If this isn't true...why that might mean the world is a worse and more complex place than I imagined, so obviously it isn't and instead no one knows how to politics as well as I, poster on the internet.

Why can't this be true? Why do we have to pretend like these rich, trust-fund, corrupt pieces of poo poo in government are so far above us? Anyone in this whole loving thread would do a better job than Trump, or than literally any republican congressman -- no reason we have to pretend like that doesn't extend to a bunch of the democrats as well.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The Glumslinger posted:

I still can't believe that loving Buzzfeed is doing some of the best investigative journalism on the topic

You go to war with the army you have.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol if you honestly think that Pelosi saying Ryan had a "steadfast commitment to our country" in some press release actually matters at all or will change anything whatsoever.

Verus posted:

Why can't this be true? Why do we have to pretend like these rich, trust-fund, corrupt pieces of poo poo in government are so far above us? Anyone in this whole loving thread would do a better job than Trump, or than literally any republican congressman -- no reason we have to pretend like that doesn't extend to a bunch of the democrats as well.

Do you really think you could do a better job as Minority Leader than Pelosi?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Verus posted:

random idiot knows how to fix government with folksy common sense and no experience is basically the republican idea that got us into a good chunk of this mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
itt a bunch of rabid goons are confused about how press releases work

• Locked thread