Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I thought people mostly liked Atomic Blonde? They greenlit a sequel pretty quick didn't they?

Anyway, it's a fun rewatch too because obviously you get to sit back and watch everything with the knowledge that right from the beginningElaine/Satchel is just tearing through Berlin looking to cover her tracks and clean up her own mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Basebf555 posted:

I thought people mostly liked Atomic Blonde? They greenlit a sequel pretty quick didn't they?

Anyway, it's a fun rewatch too because obviously you get to sit back and watch everything with the knowledge that right from the beginningElaine/Satchel is just tearing through Berlin looking to cover her tracks and clean up her own mess.

I really need to rewatch it, because I'm pretty sure you're right and the first half won't seem as slow to me with this knowledge.

It's a good movie where I spent the first half worried that it was not a good movie. I was wrong. I was very wrong.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Gatts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmZJiBZtahk

When am I going to see visuals like this in a Marvel movie?

When I first saw the movie I thought the airport scene where Godzilla's foot dwarfs the exploding jumbo jet gave the best sense of scale, it took me a second rewatch to actually appreciate how much better this sequence was at portraying that sense of scale.

Probably the best scene/sequence in the entire film (atomic breath notwithstanding)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Man this is just chilling to watch, the music swelling, the lack of dialogue, the painterly compositions...never gets old...

The first person shots are fantastic, Godzilla has never looked scarier

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Man this is just chilling to watch, the music swelling, the lack of dialogue, the painterly compositions...never gets old...

It's certainly more of a Ragnarok than anything that happened in the eponymous film.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Gatts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmZJiBZtahk

When am I going to see visuals like this in a Marvel movie?

This kind of stuff is what makes me frustrated with most blockbusters these days. Like, what excuse do they have to not even try crafting scenes like that? It's been referenced a thousand times in here, but to think that Godzilla was shot by the same guy who did Avengers, and most of Marvel's movies having the same "in house visual style" as Avengers, tells you how much they care about the visual and cinematic side of things.
Everything is churned out in front of green screens as fast as possible like a TV series (because it basically is) and the results are equal to those, yet no one really seems to care, as long as there's quipping characters and "fun". I wouldn't mind otherwise, but knowing that it is possible to have scenes like they do in Godzilla, with the same DP and everything, but I guess it would take away from the "guys running at each other in flatly lit and brownish grey environment" excitement and fun those movies provide.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gatts posted:

The storm and environment look primordial or biblical and the view of Godzilla fighting the Kaiju through POV as they fall is tremendous. This almost feels like someone drew inspiration that was exceptional even compared to the way the rest of the movie is, it’s just an amazing piece.

I like that it stands on its own but it's of a piece with the rest of the film, which is full of allusions and omens.

For example, the power of the MUTOs meeting casts the whole city of SF into darkness, making war machines useless and causing planes to helplessly fall from the sky. The first appearance of Godzilla has a perfectly logical and obvious symbol, being preceded by a huge wave crashing inland, but more significantly the soldiers deployed to fire on Him cease in awe, just like the god-child in Children of Men. Bursting out of a mountain, the female MUTO destroys a temple to Mammon. The conflict between the monsters themselves is hidden behind various veils (closing doors, camera recordings, etc), as though they cannot safely be conceived of by the human mind or seen with the naked eye, like staring at the sun.

Somebody gave Edwards 200 million to make a eschatological horror movie.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

not trolled not crying posted:

This kind of stuff is what makes me frustrated with most blockbusters these days. Like, what excuse do they have to not even try crafting scenes like that?
For superhero movies, there are only a few that put much effort into cinematography: Ang Lee's Hulk, Man of Steel (fight me), and not exactly the same, but Unbreakable.

For blockbusters in general, there are quite a bit that have effective (for their purposes) cinematography or even great cinematography.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

This kind of stuff is what makes me frustrated with most blockbusters these days. Like, what excuse do they have to not even try crafting scenes like that? It's been referenced a thousand times in here, but to think that Godzilla was shot by the same guy who did Avengers, and most of Marvel's movies having the same "in house visual style" as Avengers, tells you how much they care about the visual and cinematic side of things.
Everything is churned out in front of green screens as fast as possible like a TV series (because it basically is) and the results are equal to those, yet no one really seems to care, as long as there's quipping characters and "fun". I wouldn't mind otherwise, but knowing that it is possible to have scenes like they do in Godzilla, with the same DP and everything, but I guess it would take away from the "guys running at each other in flatly lit and brownish grey environment" excitement and fun those movies provide.

I listened to the Red Letter Media commentary track for Justice League last night and they pointed out that during the bossfight with Steppenwolf when the rest of the League were almost defeated and Superman finally makes his appearance after coming back from the dead and being MIA for a while there's just no fanfare at all. It should have been one of the biggest emotional punches of the entire movie but when he appears it's just a regular mid shot with no build up, they put absolutely no effort into the cinematography.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-yCd2386a0&t=184s

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 11, 2018

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The Rock says Black Adam might start filming next year

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dwayne-johnson-vows-dcs-black-adam-coming-soon-172807660.html

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I listened to the Red Letter Media commentary track for Justice League last night and they pointed out that during the bossfight with Steppenwolf when the rest of the League were almost defeated and Superman finally makes his appearance after coming back from the dead and being MIA for a while there's just no fanfare at all. It should have been one of the biggest emotional punches of the entire movie but when he appears it's just a regular mid shot with no build up, they put absolutely no effort into the cinematography.

Prior to reshoots, this was much more similar to Wonder Woman's reveal in BvS, with Superman dropping in to take the axe blow that hits Cyborg in the final film and no-selling it, then calmly shattering Steppenwolf's axe with icy breath.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

And his line. Holy gently caress it's bad

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Ferrinus posted:

And his line. Holy gently caress it's bad

It's really, really terrible. I can't imagine anyone still buys Whedon's explanation for the toad lightning line in X-Men after poo poo like this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Somebody gave Edwards 200 million to make a eschatological horror movie.

And it's so loving good. In the theater, I realized that it was not at all the movie that we were promised by the trailers, yet I didn't care one bit because I was so mesmerized.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

I like how the video thumbnail is a nice and clear shot of bad cgi supes.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

I don't even want to watch this scene after seeing it once in the theater, but it should be the easiest loving thing to film a triumphant return of Superman. I mean, they already had the red skies and everything, so why not build the drama with Zimmer's MoS theme starting to play, some ominous rumblings inside the Steppenwolf's lair or whatever it was and then have Supes flying so goddamn fast that he parts the red skies (get it), fliying through the building and punching Steppenwolf into oblivion. Then you can have the stupid quips if they are so necessary.
I mean, that probably sounds childish and cliche but something like that, to me, makes those "gently caress yeah!" over the top moments these films should have. Instead, Superman just kind of appears off-screen with no fanfare. Way to go Whedon.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I've been watching some youtube videos about the DC Injustice 2 video game and this shot looks exactly like the parts of the game where they segue from plot cut-scene to gameplay:
https://i.imgur.com/4AG0vWf.mp4

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cage posted:

I like how the video thumbnail is a nice and clear shot of bad cgi supes.

I still don't get what the gently caress Whedon did to the suit.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

A game like Devil May Cry 1 can outdo Joss Whedon/WB/NetherRealm in terms of using cutscenes while having the game and the cutscene still retain some notion of the third dimension. This poo poo is an insult to video games, let alone film. Which is especially damning, really.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I've been watching some youtube videos about the DC Injustice 2 video game and this shot looks exactly like the parts of the game where they segue from plot cut-scene to gameplay:

I never saw JL, but.... ooooooooooof.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

At first I thought that was from the video game, jesus christ. It seems I've successfully blocked most of the movie from my memory. And I so wanted to give it a chance, but no.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

At first I thought that was from the video game, jesus christ. It seems I've successfully blocked most of the movie from my memory. And I so wanted to give it a chance, but no.

Wait that isn't from the game?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm starting a petition to have Justice League count as an MCU film for future movie fight posts

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

aBagorn posted:

Wait that isn't from the game?

That, my dear boy, is a gif from the 2017 ~$300MM Warner Bros. film Justice League.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

When I finally got around to watching JL a few weeks ago, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Probably all the lowered expectations from everyone I talked to and people in here. I mean, it's not good. It's a mess of a movie, but a pretty enjoyable mess. I had a pretty good time. Flash and Aquaman were fun, Batman and Wonder Woman continue to have good chemistry, and for the finale when everyone is doing their thing, I was having fun.

My main complaint is that it feels like a sequel to a completely different set of movies, and I would have loved to actually seen a real sequel to BvS.

I need to watch it again without the context of, "This is the worst movie ever" weighing over me to see if that changes how I see it. The CGI in some places really was that bad.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Timby posted:

That, my dear boy girl, is a gif from the 2017 ~$300MM Warner Bros. film Justice League.

That's, like, worse than some actual video game scenes.

How is this possible?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Timby posted:

That, my dear boy, is a gif from the 2017 ~$300MM Warner Bros. film Justice League.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

I mean, the instant you attached Whedon to it, it basically became an MCU film. That's exactly the point of WB Execs hiring Whedon to "fix the film." As it turns out, many video games are more ambitious with composition, and it's especially hilarious when they rely on the player to do said composition. Like, Whedon can't compete with poo poo that just happens through emergence of play.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

aBagorn posted:

How is this possible?

You hire Joss Whedon to re-shoot almost an entire effects-heavy cape movie with a $25 million budget.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Ewwwww....

Serf
May 5, 2011

i like how he takes a swipe, misses, and then stands there for like a full second before slowly going into another punch

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I just noticed that Superman's cape snaps into place right before he smashes Steppenwolf.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Timby posted:

I just noticed that Superman's cape snaps into place right before he smashes Steppenwolf.

I think that's the lovely gif I auto-created, it doesn't look so janky in the yotube video I ripped it from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-yCd2386a0&t=220s

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-yCd2386a0&t=198s

Ah, it's all coming back to me. Like, this punch right here for instance.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

aBagorn posted:

That's, like, worse than some actual video game scenes.

How is this possible?

They'd already spent a lot of the budget when Whedon took over and then spent the rest on moustache removal. so all the cgi fight scenes he added look like a videogame

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Corrosion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-yCd2386a0&t=198s

Ah, it's all coming back to me. Like, this punch right here for instance.

Ooooooooof. What sure is a quipy CGI mess.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Serf posted:

i like how he takes a swipe, misses, and then stands there for like a full second before slowly going into another punch

The original intent of the shot was a sight gag that had Superman dodging Steppenwolf's punch and then flying up behind him at super speed while Steppenwolf looked in the other direction for him like an idiot. Superman then waited for Steppenwolf to turn around before decking him.

The shot never made it past basic blocking when Zack was around, and then Joss just approved the first version he saw for final animation.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 11, 2018

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Timby posted:

I still don't get what the gently caress Whedon did to the suit.

I kinda like how it occasionally makes him look skeletal.

Robot Style posted:

The original intent of the shot was a sight gag that had Superman dodging Steppenwolf's punch and then flying up behind him at super speed while Steppenwolf looked in thebother direction for him like an idiot. Superman then waited for Steppenwolf to turn around before decking him.

The shot never made it past basic blocking when Zack was around, and then Joss just approved the first version he saw for final animation.

This is deeply upsetting information.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

thrawn527 posted:

I need to watch it again without the context of, "This is the worst movie ever" weighing over me to see if that changes how I see it. The CGI in some places really was that bad.

It's definitely not the worst movie ever or anything but that's not why it's bad to begin with.