Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Schmeichy posted:

I spent a large chunk of today clearing out the bind weed infestation before it gets a start this year. gently caress that plant.

I have a tremendous respect for bindweed. It is a plant that answers to no one and lives freely. I think I can get away with liking weeds because Canada only has plant life for like 5 months a year.

So the potted Gardenia dropped all the flowers two weeks ago but NOW is starting to look real nice. There's a big bud that is currently unraveling open, I'll nab a picture of it in a few hours. Can't wait for my roommates to complain about the smell and claim its making them stuffy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I have a tremendous respect for bindweed. It is a plant that answers to no one and lives freely. I think I can get away with liking weeds because Canada only has plant life for like 5 months a year.

Respect is not a word I'd use for bindweed

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Respect is not a word I'd use for bindweed

Really? Not even in the same sense as having a quiet respect for the mighty bear? We have to recognize that which is more powerful than we. And so her mighty paws do crush; the bindweed chokes and strangles.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Respecting bindweed requires not liking any other plants in it's grasp. I'm sure it will be back too, because I could feel some of the roots break off in an area between the yard boundary where I can't get it. I Iove my garden, but sometimes I feel like Sisyphus battling blackberry brambles on one side and bindweed on the other.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/commiecompost/status/982020742794506241

I think it's finally time!!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Man, we're not safe from frost till mid-May. Hell, we've woken up to snow two days in a row now. :( I just want to put my fig back outside so it can be happy!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

The Schefflera, Maranta and Cissus are looking forward to being out on the shaded patio but yeah, probably not until June at this rate.

There! I got it to rebloom! In your face, Greenhouse Production professor!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Re: Carnivorous Plant Chat

Are Nepenthes pitcher plants particularly easy to grow in containers? I just started a job that has me in my own office and I’m looking for stuff to fill it with. Bonus points if it smells good.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, they can be grown at work. They have some special needs though (e.g. distilled water). And they need some decent light unlike say a pothos. They do not smell good.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Every spring my neighbor nukes the gently caress out of her whole property with roundup so that everything will be brown and dead. She has no grass. She doesn't like the big patch of clover, so she mows it and then sprays it. I think the entire backyard is weed cloth, and that gets more and more shredded every time she mows the mulch on top of it.

If all of that sounds crazy, that's because it is. She is nuts and has a very obsessive and unhealthy attitude toward green things.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Bulby buddies! These things are so adorable it's killing me.

Although, I might put a different plant in the one on the right. This one is kind of leggy and weird, and that ruffly succulent in the bottom left of the photo looks like it would be a much better choice for this pot.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They do not smell good.

Oh...... yeah that’s a deal breaker unfortunately. I’m gonna be dealing with clients in this office so I need something that either smells good or doesn’t smell at all.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Oh...... yeah that’s a deal breaker unfortunately. I’m gonna be dealing with clients in this office so I need something that either smells good or doesn’t smell at all.

The pitchers don't smell at all as far as I can tell, but apparently the flowers can smell pretty bad. None of mine have flowered yet so I can't say for sure.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Every spring my neighbor nukes the gently caress out of her whole property with roundup so that everything will be brown and dead. She has no grass. She doesn't like the big patch of clover, so she mows it and then sprays it. I think the entire backyard is weed cloth, and that gets more and more shredded every time she mows the mulch on top of it.

If all of that sounds crazy, that's because it is. She is nuts and has a very obsessive and unhealthy attitude toward green things.

Lordy. It's strange how some people think allowing life to flourish invites disease or "filth" or whatever. She is covered in untold billions of microbes. It's good for you!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They do not smell good.

Isn't that thow they attract bugs to eat?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

kid sinister posted:

Isn't that thow they attract bugs to eat?

Oh, I just meant in the neutral sense that it doesn't have a noticeable good smell. Like it's not going to make a room smell better.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Mr. Vile posted:

:aaaaa: I never knew this thread existed! And it has people who know about carnivores! I picked up a fly trap on a whim about three years ago and since then I've been looking for as many weird bug-eating plants as I can find.

The thread includes not only people who know about carnivores, but at least one carnivorous plant professional! I think I can ID most of your plants.

quote:

My first fly trap, still going strong despite some bastard grabbing it through my window and smashing it against a wall not long after I got it.

Another fly trap.

I actually forgot to put them into dormancy, but they seem to holding on and flowering regardless.

Good-looking flytraps! Missing one season of dormancy isn't a big deal. Where do you live? Unless you're in an actual tropical climate you should get enough of a dormancy by just leaving them outside for the winter. No need to mess with refrigerator dormancy unless you're in Singapore or whatever.

quote:

Sarracenia of some sort, I'm not certain of the exact species. I'd be grateful if anyone knows what it is.

I love the ridiculous flower stalks carnivorous plants put up to keep pollinators away from the hungry bits of the plant.

I usually don't recommend trying to ID sarrs that don't come with a tag, but this is very likely S. x catesbaei, which is S. flava x purpurea.

quote:

Probably S. purpurea. This one seems determined to grow one absurdly large pitcher every season.

It's kind of ridiculous.

S. purpurea, probably S. purpurea ssp. venosa. Looking great!

quote:

Butterwort/Pinguicula! Again, not sure what the species is but it put up lovely purple flowers a few months ago.

Lots of pings are a nightmare to ID. Sometimes you can do it with the flower, but a ping without a tag is just a ping, usually.

quote:

Drosera capensis, I'm pretty certain. Also flowered and gave me a load of seeds to wrap up. One of them actually took root in the tray next to it and is determined to stay rooted there.

Yep, D. capensis!

quote:

Beyond being a Nepenthes I have no idea what this is.

This is N. x hookeriana, which is N. ampullaria x rafflesiana (natural hybrid).

quote:

Same deal as above. Both very pretty, though. Again, I'd be grateful if anyone can identify the mystery species.

This is N. '"Rebecca Soper", which is N. gracillima x ventricosa.

I work at Predatory Plants, so feel free to PM if you've got carnivore questions. I've been bad at following the thread lately.

Also, I can't remember if I've linked our Youtube channel in the thread yet. We've been trying to put out around a video per week. Here's one of our Nepenthes veitchii collection plants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT4lH3G5ItA

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

Kenning posted:

The thread includes not only people who know about carnivores, but at least one carnivorous plant professional! I think I can ID most of your plants.

Good-looking flytraps! Missing one season of dormancy isn't a big deal. Where do you live? Unless you're in an actual tropical climate you should get enough of a dormancy by just leaving them outside for the winter. No need to mess with refrigerator dormancy unless you're in Singapore or whatever.

I usually don't recommend trying to ID sarrs that don't come with a tag, but this is very likely S. x catesbaei, which is S. flava x purpurea.

Lots of pings are a nightmare to ID. Sometimes you can do it with the flower, but a ping without a tag is just a ping, usually.

Yep, D. capensis!

I work at Predatory Plants, so feel free to PM if you've got carnivore questions. I've been bad at following the thread lately.

Also, I can't remember if I've linked our Youtube channel in the thread yet. We've been trying to put out around a video per week. Here's one of our Nepenthes veitchii collection plants.

Thank you! I've seen a few of your posts in the thread so I've been hoping you would drop by. I'm in the UK so I can probably put them in dormancy outdoors, but this year we had a pretty massive snowfall so it's kind of lucky I forgot.

Wow, those pitchers in your video are incredibly full of fluid. Is that all produced by the plant or do you keep them topped up?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Bees on Wheat posted:

Bulby buddies! These things are so adorable it's killing me.

Although, I might put a different plant in the one on the right. This one is kind of leggy and weird, and that ruffly succulent in the bottom left of the photo looks like it would be a much better choice for this pot.

Are you giving them direct sunlight? Succulents generally want that, and it could be the reason your haworthia is getting so leggy.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kenning posted:

Yep, D. capensis!

What’s a good Nepenthes to grow in an office where I’ll be talking to people a lot?

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I found a tiny bug on one of my plants, and tried my best to take a picture of it. It was moving fairly quickly along the edge of this leaf. Look familiar to anyone? I realize the picture isn't the best quality and the bug is tiny, but click to make it larger.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Looks like a white spider mite to me. You can get rid of them by washing the leaves.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

My boss’ latest “get this plant out of my store!” is this coffee plant. He has some mealybug, which I’ll monitor. Any special tips for coffee plants as houseplants?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Plant MONSTER. posted:

My boss’ latest “get this plant out of my store!” is this coffee plant. He has some mealybug, which I’ll monitor. Any special tips for coffee plants as houseplants?

What a cool problem to have!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

abrosheen posted:

I found a tiny bug on one of my plants, and tried my best to take a picture of it. It was moving fairly quickly along the edge of this leaf. Look familiar to anyone? I realize the picture isn't the best quality and the bug is tiny, but click to make it larger.

oh no. be active in keeping those down I've been fighting them for a while. Quarantine your plant from other plants, look under leaves near the stems especially near new growth

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Pretty sure the leaves have some caffeine in them, so keep any pets from eating it. That foliage is really pretty.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Plant MONSTER. posted:

my very special tip is you should probably give me that plant :D very envious

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Finding a decent variety of sweet potato slips in California was slightly more difficult than I anticipated. At least I've gotten the Okinawan Purples I wanted, even if the O'Henries end up not being delivered. Is anyone else growing sweet potatoes or otherwise have any good tips for them? Zone 9b so the temperature should be good almost year round.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Groggy nard posted:

Finding a decent variety of sweet potato slips in California was slightly more difficult than I anticipated. At least I've gotten the Okinawan Purples I wanted, even if the O'Henries end up not being delivered. Is anyone else growing sweet potatoes or otherwise have any good tips for them? Zone 9b so the temperature should be good almost year round.

This year is my first try at them. Got some myanmar purples from Baker Creek. I have them in 7-gallon grow bags, which I've also never used before. I wanted bigger containers, but those were the best I had on hand.

I think I'm going to train them up a chain link fence.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

I just found this Nepenthes hookerania in a garden centre. The soil was so bone dry it had shrunken away from the pot so I decided I had to rescue it.

If the garden centre can't be trusted to water the drat thing I'm certainly not trusting them to keep it in the right substrate or use proper water, so I'm removing that mess right now.

Potted up in sphagnum moss, so hopefully it will take to that nicely

My other N. Hookerania and N. x "Rebecca Soper" also need repotting and a substrate change to sphagnum so they're getting the same treatment.

All back in their place!

My other plants also got repotted, Drosera capensis is waiting until I get more soil in.

The tiny baby seedling it dropped got pulled up from the tray matting and settled in a pot of its own though. :3:

Mr. Vile fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 17, 2018

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Mr. Vile posted:

Thank you! I've seen a few of your posts in the thread so I've been hoping you would drop by. I'm in the UK so I can probably put them in dormancy outdoors, but this year we had a pretty massive snowfall so it's kind of lucky I forgot.

Wow, those pitchers in your video are incredibly full of fluid. Is that all produced by the plant or do you keep them topped up?

Venus flytraps are fine with a light freeze. Down to at least -6 C is no big deal. The pitchers produce their own fluid, but since we water with a hose they naturally fill with a bit of water as well. We don't do it on purpose, but the plants don't mind.

What’s a good Nepenthes to grow in an office where I’ll be talking to people a lot?

Offices are generally horrible places for plants. They're functionally lightless caves – ceiling fluorescent bulbs aren't really bright enough to be used for photosynthesis, and most office windows have UV shading, which means even windowsills aren't any good (at least in office buildings – this could be different in a less commercial building). Nepenthes have fairly high light requirements, so you wanna grow in an office you might invest in a night little desk lamp and a compact fluorescent bulb attached to a timer. That can be a fun little piece of decoration, and it can keep the plant growing well.

Mr. Vile posted:

I just found this Nepenthes hookerania in a garden centre. The soil was so bone dry it had shrunken away from the pot so I decided I had to rescue it.

If the garden centre can't be trusted to water the drat thing I'm certainly not trusting them to keep it in the right substrate or use proper water, so I'm removing that mess right now.

Potted up in sphagnum moss, so hopefully it will take to that nicely

My other N. Hookerania and N. x "Rebecca Soper" also need repotting and a substrate change to sphagnum so they're getting the same treatment.

All back in their place!

My other plants also got repotted, Drosera capensis is waiting until I get more soil in.

The tiny baby seedling it dropped got pulled up from the tray matting and settled in a pot of its own though. :3:

Nice little collection!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Say, does anyone have any good resources for succulent ID or info? They’re the most popular item at the store and customers ask about them constantly/want ID. If it’s Haworthia, Sansevieria, Gasteria, Aeonium, Crassula , Echeveria, Lithops, Aloe and I think we have Fenestraria too? I usually say a small blurb about what I think it is but we get a big random assortment and additional information would be great.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there anything that I can do other than pull these dandelions out, one by one?

I've got a weed puller, but there are literally hundreds of them all over this front garden. Long term I'm not sure what we'll do to avoid this in future but this is our first spring/summer here so it's quite a shock to see how bad it really is.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You could carefully apply a broadleaf-specific herbicide that won't hurt your grass, but I'd just pull them by hand tbh. I find it relaxing.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Dandelions are nice plants that are pretty and tasty and pull up nutrients from deeper in the ground, just to argue for being really lazy instead.

We're supposed to get some more snow tomorrow... but that's not stopping me!

~rockin and a-rollin~

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bugger that, that is a dead lawn, nuke with chemicals, cover with weed suppressant for a year, or dig the whole lot out with a spade and returf it.

Personally I’d cover with weed suppressant and also nuke with chemicals.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It looks fine and green to me. Then again I think lawns are basically immoral and should be abandoned.

I am the neighbor whose lawn is overrun with wildflowers and I like it that way.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Same, my 'lawn' is pretty overgrown (I just gently weedwhack it a couple times a year) but it's a lot more interesting and diverse that way... Lots of random flowers everywhere and all sorts of critters.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Southern Heel posted:

Is there anything that I can do other than pull these dandelions out, one by one?

I've got a weed puller, but there are literally hundreds of them all over this front garden. Long term I'm not sure what we'll do to avoid this in future but this is our first spring/summer here so it's quite a shock to see how bad it really is.

As mentioned, a selective herbicide will do the trick. Personally I like something with Quinclorac, like this: https://www.ortho.com/en-us/products/weed-control/ortho-weed-b-gon-plus-crabgrass-control-concentrate2

But Spectracide, Bayer, etc. all make similar products. You want something that's a 3-way mix of 2,4-D, Dicamba, and either Quinclorac or Mecoprop. You can usually find this as either a concentrate (for use with a spray can or a hose attachment) or as a pre-diluted spray bottle formulation.

Spray when the weeds are growing (generally between 60'F and 80'F) and when the grass isn't wet or stressed from drought -- like a day or two after a good rain, but ideally a day or two before it's going to rain. For established perennial broadleaf weeds you will probably need to do multiple applications to totally knock them out. Read your product label, but you will probably want to wait 3-4 weeks between applications.

If you find something and aren't sure, post a link and I can help you sort it out.

learnincurve posted:

Bugger that, that is a dead lawn, nuke with chemicals, cover with weed suppressant for a year, or dig the whole lot out with a spade and returf it.

Personally I’d cover with weed suppressant and also nuke with chemicals.

Weed suppressant might be tricky on the hill since as a consumer you usually find it as a granular and ideally you'd want to use a liquid, but yeah. If you can find a liquid pre-emergent, a fall and subsequent spring application should cut down on any new seeds from taking root and then you can fall back too "mechanical removal" after it's under control. Of course, then you need to plan to re-seed it, otherwise weeds will just come right back.

Or did you just mean Glypho it and start over?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It looks fine and green to me. Then again I think lawns are basically immoral and should be abandoned.

I am the neighbor whose lawn is overrun with wildflowers and I like it that way.

I'm NOT in this camp, but in that particular area I'd carefully consider whether grass is the right choice -- the slope is going to make it tricky to maintain. Long term some terracing or ornamentals might be much more rewarding. If you want too go that route you could solarize the area with some tarps, but I assume that's not in the immediate future since you specifically asked about NOT killing the grass :v:

e: BTW, I've got nothing against the "natural" lawn approach. What makes me shakes my drat head is my neighbor who insists on mowing his Bluegrass/Fescue lawn at like 0.5". He puts so much effort into it -- I saw him going around this weekend with one of those manual core aerators doing the whole thing by hand :sigh:

Hubis fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I like a well designed lawn me, if it’s done right it can be nice green bit that provides a soft break between borders or trees. Plus it’s somewhere to lay on in the summer.