Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Agent355 posted:

The corridors? I'd do just the opposite and describe it as 'a confusing array of criss crossing corridors' and just leave it as that in the narrative. No need to get specific about it.

As narrative that's fine, but then it doesn't work as an obstacle.

Same with drawing it out, revealing it bit by bit, or whatever else. Sure, that works, but what's the purpose of a "confusing" part if you're literally showing them the map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Sure but it's also just a small encounter with an ochre jelly and not a main plot point. No need to get super concerned with it, do a little roleplay of the party getting turned around a couple times, have the ochre jelly attack, move on. The fun is in how well you roleplay it, I don't think anybody expects it to be a serious obstacle.

My problem with it is what do i describe it as? Like what the hell is the purpose of it. If this is basically a base camp for an abandoned mine and you have temples/forges/etc up here in this dwarven frontier town equivalent, whats the point of these random corridors?

Maybe like, test tunnels? To see how well the rock holds up in this area of the world. But then aren't dorfs supposed to be better at mining and can just rub their face on the rock and know how well it'd stand up to tunnels being dug through it?

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 11, 2018

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Agent355 posted:

Sure but it's also just a small encounter with an ochre jelly and not a main plot point. No need to get super concerned with it, do a little roleplay of the party getting turned around a couple times, have the ochre jelly attack, move on. The fun is in how well you roleplay it, I don't think anybody expects it to be a serious obstacle.

That's a really good way to do it.

Makes it pointless to have a map that's more than a circle labelled "A maze of twisty little passages, all alike. It is dark here. You are likely to be eaten by an Ochre Jelly" with lines connecting it to other circles though.

Agent355 posted:

My problem with it is what do i describe it as? Like what the hell is the purpose of it. If this is basically a base camp for an abandoned mine and you have temples/forges/etc up here in this dwarven frontier town equivalent, whats the point of these random corridors?

Maybe like, test tunnels? To see how well the rock holds up in this area of the world. But then aren't dorfs supposed to be better at mining and can just rub their face on the rock and know how well it'd stand up to tunnels being dug through it?

Yeah, that's also my main problem with it. It doesn't look like a mine. It doesn't look like a test mine. It doesn't look like an exploratory dig. It looks like the sort of kid's maze you used to get on the back of the McDonald's placemats.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 11, 2018

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

That's a really good way to do it.

Makes it pointless to have a map that's more than a circle labelled "twisty little passages, all alike" with lines connecting it to other circles thought.

Yeah I'd agree. it's not well thought out but it's not untenable either. Come up with a reason for it to exist so it doesn't clash with the rest of the setting and its good enough IMO.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Agent355 posted:

Yeah I'd agree. it's not well thought out but it's not untenable either. Come up with a reason for it to exist so it doesn't clash with the rest of the setting and its good enough IMO.

gently caress, just put the wreckage of a bizarre looking experimental clockwork mining machine somewhere in there and let players draw their own conclusions.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 11, 2018

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Agent355 posted:

Running Phan

You wouldn't happen to have any openings in your roll20 party, huh?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Agent355 posted:

Oh hay, my early life obsession with being a mining engineer is going to pay off.

Those grid arrangements are room and pillar mining. It was a common method of mining before mechanization. Excpet something else tunneled in and some areas collapsed.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
Got greedy last night trying to kill a couple more Umber Hulks without thinking that with the dynamite I was going to detonate that the cave might collapse and I died. Now I'm just sad because I really liked that character.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i want to hear everything people know about real life mining engineering + urban exploring of mines/underground stuff and then how it applies to d&d because that is rad as hell

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

i want to hear everything people know about real life mining engineering + urban exploring of mines/underground stuff and then how it applies to d&d because that is rad as hell

It really doesn't apply to d&d a whole lot because what an object or place looks like matters a whole lot less than what people think it looks like.

D&D is inherently unrealisitc. Let's not even get started on how few things below ground wouldn't completely flood in weeks or months, let alone centuries.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Is it legal to use Shield on my familiar?

I really like using dragons breath in it, but it's super vulnerable.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Shield is a self-cast. I don't think familiars can do self-cast, the dragon's breath bit only works because it's a targeted spell.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

the onion wizard posted:

That sounds reasonable, just not sure how you get lost doing that; or if the DM gives you the map.
If you have a UA ranger you literally cannot get lost anyway so...

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The UA ranger’s ability to not get lost really took some fun out of the first half of my ToA campaign.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I'm pro UA ranger. They seem really boring and underpowered with Vanilla.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

kidkissinger posted:

I'm pro UA ranger. They seem really boring and underpowered with Vanilla.

They are. There are exactly 0 roles a PHB ranger can perform in which it is not outperformed by a wide margin by another class. At least the UA ranger has "can't get lost" and "will probably go first" going for it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SettingSun posted:

The UA ranger’s ability to not get lost really took some fun out of the first half of my ToA campaign.
I found it fun to play it that my Kenku Ranger didn't realise this wasn't something everyone could do. People would get super lost and he'd just assume they wanted to be there because the alternative was literally unthinkable.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I'm in a party doing Tomb of the Annihilator and our Lizardman UA Ranger is making the game way less of a hassle.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

SettingSun posted:

We can fly in our ToA campaign due to some fantastic torturing/selling out and some really good rolls. Having a ranger that 'never gets lost' seems fine. Hell, rangers should be able to hunt and provide for a party too. Food and water become unnecessary thanks to their natural abilities and wayfinding skills, imo.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Yeah, our ranger plus the Alchemist Jug we found makes jungle-trekking trivial.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I've given up on making maps with software like Dungeon Painter etc, just can't get to grips with it. I'm just gonna hand-draw little map handouts for the players, maybe find my old dry-erase mat.

edit: Holy poo poo I just realise I have a shitload of tokens from 4e box sets, I can definitely use these.

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 11, 2018

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I bought a small dry erase board with 6 different colored pens for battles that require keeping track of positions, etc. Not as defined as a grid, but it works with the rough estimates of distances and position fairly well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
One of the Monsters from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes got it's page previewed.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Wasn't this in the 3rd edition manual of the planes?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

A crab hosed a cacodemon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kidkissinger posted:

Wasn't this in the 3rd edition manual of the planes?

The Dreadnought dates all the way back to the 1e Manual of the planes. But it was in the 3e one too.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 12, 2018

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Then I take it back and doom ripped off of DnD like so many other 90s video games.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

It's got dicks for arms

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Agent355 posted:

A crab hosed a cacodemon.

Was about to bring up the Cacodemon.

The Doom creators actually ripped the head off of the Dreadnought then traced and recolored it.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 11, 2018

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

kidkissinger posted:

It's got dicks for arms

Ummm.

If that's what your dick looks like you should probably go to a doctor. Like yesterday.

They usually don't end in crab claws.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

They usually don't end in crab claws.

...how do the so-called normal ones grab on, then?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Dreadnoughts been in every edition so far, never really changed much ether so it's art tends to always look pretty good.

2e

3e

4e
Manual of the planes cover and interior

5e (The one on the statblock.)

gandhichan
Dec 25, 2009

There's a new terror of the skies, bitches.
AND HER HAIR IS PINK.
Not sure if this is the right place for Original Content but I thought it'd be fun to share, at least as a testament to our group's kind of scary dedication. My girlfriend's an artist, and she took it upon herself to do portraits for the PCs/key NPCs of the heavily homebrewed/expanded LMoP game we're in.

She's drawn loving 35 of them so far.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gandhichan posted:

Not sure if this is the right place for Original Content but I thought it'd be fun to share, at least as a testament to our group's kind of scary dedication. My girlfriend's an artist, and she took it upon herself to do portraits for the PCs/key NPCs of the heavily homebrewed/expanded LMoP game we're in.

No this is very cool.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Those are excellent and great.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gandhichan posted:

Those are great and you should also post them in the art thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605440

gandhichan
Dec 25, 2009

There's a new terror of the skies, bitches.
AND HER HAIR IS PINK.

AlphaDog posted:

Those are great and you should also post them in the art thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605440

Oh man I could've sworn there was a dedicated art thread but missed it somehow, thank you!

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
They remind me of the portraits in Infinity Engine games.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
They're great and could probably go in the GM / DM advice thread too maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Hollandia posted:

They're great and could probably go in the GM / DM advice thread too maybe.